Calif. Supreme Court to take up GAY MARRIAGE BAN...... possibly overturn the vote???

I don't get why the American public who has a 50% success in marriage should be able to determine who and who doesn't gets married.

They can't even figure out marriage themselves!

This is nuts.

What is the point of the voting process if courts can decide to overturn it or not?

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

I don't get why the American public who has a 50% success in marriage should be able to determine who and who doesn't gets married.

They can't even figure out marriage themselves!
True. People give up so easily now and their values have sunk. Good values are almost no more in this society.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

This is absurd if you ask me... the PEOPLE spoke. Why should the California Supreme Court potentially overturn what the PEOPLE voted for.
I don't care if you are FOR or AGAINST the gay marriage band...
This goes past that... so what now the vote of the people may not matter??
Because the majority of people aren't educated about the state constitution, especially regarding equal rights and what is deemed constitutional.

many people also aren't educated about the issues surrounding the election of public officials...yet we live in a countrywhere these people are still allowed to vote...that is a democracy, and that is constitutional

in fact, that is one of the issues the founding fathers faced...they were scared that the general public would not be able to make educated choices when voting

that argument you made is kinda weak. in the end, the gov't threw the decision regarding gay marriage to the people to decide, that was thegovernment's decision. they had to expect that a vote of this magnitude could go either way. if the gov't wanted to make its own decision, theyshould have done that in the first place.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

This is nuts.

What is the point of the voting process if courts can decide to overturn it or not?
Hey! You just brought a new statement to this post! Good job no one has brought up this point yet.

indifferent.gif

You idiot. Let me say it one last time since you may have skimmed over it. The court is looking to see if what the public passed is constitutional. Ya know, toprotect the minority. If we had a vote today taking away felon's rights it would pass but thats unconstitutional so supreme court overturned it.

laugh.gif
RKO you a funny dude. Thirsty? Really? Come on man. I guess i was trying to have a debate but thirsty is definitely the wrong word to describe it.

That said, at least you gave out your position whole heartedly, that i can respect.

The thing is i partly agree with you. I dont think its possible for you to think two men having sex together is any more gross then i do. Seriously
sick.gif
the $%#*disgusts me to no end. However two girls,
devil.gif
devil.gif

The thing is thats not the point at all. And i guess it frustrates me that you and others don't see it. The idea that our beliefs on two men having sextogether should be able to take away their rights is just plain wrong. Not only is it unconstitutional, it's saying that those people shouldn't beafforded the same legal opportunities as everyone else in this entire country thus alienating them much like Blacks of the slavery days which now almosteveryone views as wrong.

Originally Posted by IcyyyESR Two3

This is absurd if you ask me... the PEOPLE spoke. Why should the California Supreme Court potentially overturn what the PEOPLE voted for.
Because the majority of people aren't educated about the state constitution, especially regarding equal rights and what is deemed constitutional.

many people also aren't educated about the issues surrounding the election of public officials...yet we live in a country where these people are still allowed to vote...that is a democracy, and that is constitutional

in fact, that is one of the issues the founding fathers faced...they were scared that the general public would not be able to make educated choices when voting

that argument you made is kinda weak. in the end, the gov't threw the decision regarding gay marriage to the people to decide, that was the government's decision. they had to expect that a vote of this magnitude could go either way. if the gov't wanted to make its own decision, they should have done that in the first place.
thus we don't have an absolute democracy. which is why this is an issue right now.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

This is nuts.

Hey! You just brought a new statement to this post! Good job no one has brought up this point yet.

indifferent.gif

You idiot. Let me say it one last time since you may have skimmed over it. The court is looking to see if what the public passed is constitutional. Ya know, to protect the minority. If we had a vote today taking away felon's rights it would pass but thats unconstitutional so supreme court overturned it.

why you so mad son???...were you planning a wedding???...

Courts are meant to work free of political pressures or public pressure. This allows them to be as objective as possible in their rulings. It allows them tofunction against the passion of the masses.
You should read up on some poli sci books man. Especially for a guy who talks about politics so much.

Originally Posted by FeelMode

laugh.gif
RKO you a funny dude. Thirsty? Really? Come on man. I guess i was trying to have a debate but thirsty is definitely the wrong word to describe it.

That said, at least you gave out your position whole heartedly, that i can respect.

The thing is i partly agree with you. I dont think its possible for you to think two men having sex together is any more gross then i do. Seriously
sick.gif
the $%#* disgusts me to no end. However two girls,
devil.gif
devil.gif

The thing is thats not the point at all. And i guess it frustrates me that you and others don't see it. The idea that our beliefs on two men having sex together should be able to take away their rights is just plain wrong. Not only is it unconstitutional, it's saying that those people shouldn't be afforded the same legal opportunities as everyone else in this entire country thus alienating them much like Blacks of the slavery days which now almost everyone views as wrong.
I've pretty much been in agreement with you this entire time. I'm not gay and I still have a ways to go before I can truly say that twodudes kissing doesn't weird me out a bit... BUT I understand that this isn't, and shouldn't, be a religious matter. It's entirely a civilrights matter and that's where you have to draw the line. NEVER is it right for a minority group to have their rights stripped from them by the majority.

many people also aren't educated about the issues surrounding the election of public officials...yet we live in a country where these people are still allowed to vote...that is a democracy, and that is constitutional

that argument you made is kinda weak.
you just supported his argument by bringing up the electoral college. electoral college exists because people can make ******ed decisions. justlike how prop 8 has passed. its ******ed, and unconstitutional. now the government steps in to fix things.

tbone, the constitution comes first.

that argument you made is kinda weak. in the end, the gov't threw the decision regarding gay marriage to the people to decide, that was the government's decision. they had to expect that a vote of this magnitude could go either way. if the gov't wanted to make its own decision, they should have done that in the first place.

The government isn't one single entity. It's made up of Executive/Legislative/Judicial. Same thing applies to States...Gov/StateLeg/StateCourts.
You also make the argument for the ability of Courts to be able to look into legislations that have passed when you rightly point out that the FF were scaredof the passion of the masses.

laugh.gif

sick.gif
the $%#* disgusts me to no end. However two girls,
devil.gif
devil.gif

The thing is thats not the point at all. And i guess it frustrates me that you and others don't see it. The idea that our beliefs on two men having sex together should be able to take away their rights is just plain wrong. Not only is it unconstitutional, it's saying that those people shouldn't be afforded the same legal opportunities as everyone else in this entire country thus alienating them much like Blacks of the slavery days which now almost everyone views as wrong.
Well I can't vote since I'm not in Cali. I would have left it blank if I would have voted. My thing is I don't wont anyone to go tohell honestly. I wish everyone could be saved but I guess in this current state or the world its not possible. But thne again everyone doesn't believe whatI do. I just hope everyone lives a blessed life. And for it being unconstitutional in a sense it is.

All in all I think homosexuality is wrong but I still hope they are blessed and happy. Of course I still want them to come around but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by MBIII

This is nuts.

indifferent.gif

You idiot. Let me say it one last time since you may have skimmed over it. The court is looking to see if what the public passed is constitutional. Ya know, to protect the minority. If we had a vote today taking away felon's rights it would pass but thats unconstitutional so supreme court overturned it.

Yes I actually was cause you only have to be gay to stand up for gay rights. You're right I'm a gay black handicapped homeless femalelocked up at Guantanamo Bay because other wise I wouldn't care about these people's right. Go read homie cause it's clear how uneducated you are.

Originally Posted by MBIII

This is nuts.

indifferent.gif

he brought up a good point. people coming in here to show their outrage fail to read. they think their opinion is worth a lot but many of themdon't argue. they only make claims. it clutters the thread and is annoying.

Originally Posted by DL2352

thus we don't have an absolute democracy. which is why this is an issue right now.

but they ended up giving all citizens (at their time white males) the right to vote. eventually, all citizens would gain theright to vote...today, im pretty sure the only citizens not allowed to vote are convicted felons.

also, im not 100% on this, but aren't all laws that have been found unconstituional been passed by congress, not the people. i believe that is the issue. this is a case of the courts trying to check the power of the PEOPLE, not the power of a state congress. again, the gov't threw this decision to thepeople, kwowing full well it could have gone either way.

the people have spoken and the decision should stand, until at least there is a US supreme court decision. either way, i smell a major US Supreme Court casecoming soon, probably the most important case since Bush v. Gore

TBone as one of the few and outspoken Republicans on this board, I wish you actually knew how basic politics work instead of grabbing onto partisan punchlines.Having people with opposing views makes for meaningful discussions but not when arguments are made with no substance or historical perspective.
Either way, no matter how the court rules, the losing side is going to try to get the Supreme Court to rule on this.

Originally Posted by DL2352

but they ended up giving all citizens (at their time white males) the right to vote. eventually, all citizens would gain the right to vote...today, im pretty sure the only citizens not allowed to vote are convicted felons.

also, im not 100% on this, but aren't all laws that have been found unconstituional been passed by congress, not the people. i believe that is the issue. this is a case of the courts trying to check the power of the PEOPLE, not the power of a state congress. again, the gov't threw this decision to the people, kwowing full well it could have gone either way.

the people have spoken and the decision should stand, until at least there is a US supreme court decision. either way, i smell a major US Supreme Court case coming soon, probably the most important case since Bush v. Gore
That is why the electoral college is in place.

And voter determined measures get repealed all the time. Stem-cell research, abortion, etc.

This really should not have been put up to vote but unfortunately it was. I was very shocked though that it went through in this state. Those BS commercialsbacked by the Mormon church's money really scared a lot of folk.

Honestly, I think the government should not even recognize marriages but only civil unions. Leave the concept of marriage and the ideals it holds to religion.

Originally Posted by gko2408

Honestly, I think the government should not even recognize marriages but only civil unions. Leave the concept of marriage and the ideals it holds to religion.
qft

DL2352, i stand corrected about repealing of voter measures. thanks.

hopefully a US SC case comes soon, so this can all be "settled" (of course this will be an ongoing issue)

Im going to Co-Sign that as well.

this is actually a perfect solution to this entire situaiton.
religious people get to keep the "sanctity" of marriage
homosexual couple can now be recognized & have the same rights as heterosexuals.
win for all parties

Originally Posted by Thugnificence

this is actually a perfect solution to this entire situaiton.
religious people get to keep the "sanctity" of marriage
homosexual couple can now be recognized & have the same rights as heterosexuals.
win for all parties
Wow politicians are idiots. We just found the solution

Back
Top Bottom