Car Topic: Alternatives to a CLA??

So a buddy of mine is looking for a new car, currently drives an '10 Corolla so anything is an upgrade. 
laugh.gif

Dude is making a good amount of money, so he does have some flexibility.

Note: I suggested to homie a bunch of cars where he can get his "bang for his buck". No. He wants the brand, he wants the luxury. Nothing wrong with that, hes worked hard his whole life and I dont knock on him for even wanting just an entry level luxury car.

-Entry level luxury

-Slight chance of used, but hes practically SET on brand new.

-Performance isnt his biggest concern, technology and sound is.

-Hes a big dude, another reason why I think he shoudnt get the CLA

-CLA is his number 1 option at the moment.

-AWD is a must, if he decides on the CLA he would place an order for the 4-Matic models coming out later in the spring.

Any suggestions? 35-40 would be ideal.

328i xdrive starts at $39, one option and its at $40+

Q50 is gorgeous but that too, too much.

I suggested an Is250 but hes not having that either.

328i xdrive starts at $39, one option and its at $40+
Q50 is gorgeous but that too, too much.
I suggested an Is250 but hes not having that either.
Sticker on my Q50 was a little less than $45k and that's for the Premium AWD with Nav & about $1500 worth of unnecessary extras (ambient lighting, all weather floor & trunk package, a full-size spare or something I didn't pay attention to, somehow illuminated kickplates are like $500).  Without all that and definitely if it's not the premium model he could get it for below $40k.

Tell him to go check it out, I'd be surprised if he drives the Q50 and comparable cars then objectively compares them that he doesn't go with it.  Plus Infiniti has some pretty good deals going on.

Otherwise, if he doesn't care about the newest model, they might have leftover G37x and they're almost giving them away at this point.

Last edited:

Sticker on my Q50 was a little less than $45k and that's for the Premium AWD with Nav & about $1500 worth of unnecessary extras (ambient lighting, all weather floor & trunk package, a full-size spare or something I didn't pay attention to, somehow illuminated kickplates are like $500).  Without all that and definitely if it's not the premium model he could get it for below $40k.

Tell him to go check it out, I'd be surprised if he drives the Q50 and comparable cars then objectively compares them that he doesn't go with it.  Plus Infiniti has some pretty good deals going on.

Otherwise, if he doesn't care about the newest model, they might have leftover G37x and they're almost giving them away at this point.
How much are you paying monthly and what did your APR turn out to be? He's probably going to put $2k down.

I'm just badge flossing so I lease...it's actually for business purposes but yeah, I got an even better deal that way.  Otherwise I would've just mentioned what I ended up paying to give a point of reference.

CLA is in a little bit of a niche in its own. Theres not a car that is as cheap and looks as good as the CLA right now in the luxury market. BMW closest thing is maybe a 1 series? But for sedan the closest to its price point would be the BMW 320i. That would be under $40k with options as well, i like the CLA styling though.
CLA has a lot of engine software issues in the first batch, just be aware.

A former AMG engineer said the entry level MBs are trash and a lot of corners are cut with them.

CLA is in a little bit of a niche in its own. Theres not a car that is as cheap and looks as good as the CLA right now in the luxury market. BMW closest thing is maybe a 1 series? But for sedan the closest to its price point would be the BMW 320i. That would be under $40k with options as well, i like the CLA styling though.
CLA has a lot of engine software issues in the first batch, just be aware.

The 228i might be another option for your friend. Granted, it lacks AWD and is a coupe, but if he wants an entry level luxury vehicle for under 40k it might be worth looking into. I'm not sure when the 228i is officially on sale, but if your friend goes into a dealership looking for one, he might be able to negotiate a nice deal.

Pretty sure BMW meant for it to compete with the CLA in terms of price and performance.

Last edited:
So a buddy of mine is looking for a new car, currently drives an '10 Corolla so anything is an upgrade. :lol:

Note: I suggested to homie a bunch of cars where he can get his "bang for his buck". No. He wants the brand, he wants the luxury. Nothing wrong with that, hes worked hard his whole life and I dont knock on him for even wanting just an entry level luxury car.

-Entry level luxury
-AWD is a must, if he decides on the CLA he would place an order for the 4-Matic models coming out later in the spring.

technology and AWD for 35-40k brand new? A4-A5 Easily

CLA sucks IMO

see in it person, like a chick car to me. did nothing for me but then again im not too fond of MB now.

So a buddy of mine is looking for a new car, currently drives an '10 Corolla so anything is an upgrade. :lol:

-Entry level luxury

technology and AWD for 35-40k brand new? A4-A5 Easily

Agreed.

A5 starts at $40k brand new..

are they all AWD otherwise i assume it would be more like it is for other companies.

CLA sucks IMO

see in it person, like a chick car to me. did nothing for me but then again im not too fond of MB now.
i like MB but the CLA is whack to me too so many cars id take over the CLA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom