Catch 22 In The Professional World

I really believe that we are in an era of its not what you know but who you know. Seen it too many times in the workplace were certain people get the jobs or promotions over more qualified people just because of who they are and who they know.

I really believe that we are in an era of its not what you know but who you know. Seen it too many times in the workplace were certain people get the jobs or promotions over more qualified people just because of who they are and who they know.

So much truth...

You ain't never lied srt8 we got a new hire at our job, we have a week orientation just to get people used to the job, she was late 2 days, and called out for one the days, anybody else would have got fired, but she's friends with the assistant directors daughter.

And while I don't suggest it, I will say that there's a growing population of people who are outright lying on their resumes. What people are doing is lying on their resumes to get jobs they don't have experience for, working there for 6 - 12 months and then using that gained experience to move on to other jobs they don't have to lie for. Dishonest, but I can't knock the hustle.
[/quote]

Yes, I came here to mention this. Sometimes you gotta straight up lie, but you better have your tracks covered.

Don't get discouraged if jobs you're looking at require experience that you don't have yet. Just keep applying.

Network. You may know a friend or a friend of a friend who's in the field you want to be in.

If you don't have experience, then you just have to work a little harder on selling yourself on why you'd be a better fit for the position than the other guy.

Are you willing to work harder? Are you willing to work longer hours? Are you willing to work for less pay? Is there anything else in your past that will show that you have the skills that they need (you may not have work experience, but do you have other skills to make up for your lack of experience)? Those are just a few questions to ask yourself.

pretty much

Don't get discouraged if jobs you're looking at require experience that you don't have yet. Just keep applying.

Network. You may know a friend or a friend of a friend who's in the field you want to be in.

If you don't have experience, then you just have to work a little harder on selling yourself on why you'd be a better fit for the position than the other guy.

Are you willing to work harder? Are you willing to work longer hours? Are you willing to work for less pay? Is there anything else in your past that will show that you have the skills that they need (you may not have work experience, but do you have other skills to make up for your lack of experience)? Those are just a few questions to ask yourself.

I agree. Not saying it's anyone in here but a lot of people have a false sense of entitlement. They expect everyone to give them everything without working for it.

Best thing I can say is to stay persistent and keep the faith. It took me about 5 months to finally land a job out of school, I thought I wasnt gonna get anything at all. I was seeing my friends landing jobs left and right, **** was depressing. I agree with previous posts, study and get certified in something (particularly in something you are trying to make a career out of) while you are waiting to get replies from companies, especially if you are trying to get into the IT industry.

This is me but another thing my professor says is don't put MS on your resume unless you are applying to be a secretary.

Find a way to get a certification in SOMETHING.  Even if its MS Office proficiency. 

I have a MS Office Word certificate from summer of 2009, it's one of the things on my resume that's true. It does get me responses but it doesn't get me hired.

These jobs be wanting considerable experience in Office Word, Excel, QuickBooks and all types of stuff. I'm still gonna get my certificates in all of them though.
The skills section is where i stretch the truth...if i come across or know even a little bit about any program/software i throw it on there if its relevant to the position...i just look it up online if i ever have to use it and that's been working for me

pretty much
Absolutely, over the past year or so whenever I hear about my friends/co-workers landing a decent job it was because they knew somebody who helped get them in, or their brother was already in the company. Literally every time. If you're in university today I suggest going to your schools job fairs/events/ any gatherings and network as much as you can. Being a people person is important.

Last edited:

pretty much
Absolutely, over the past year or so whenever I hear about my friends/co-workers landing a decent job it was because they knew somebody who helped get them in, or their brother was already in the company. Literally every time. If you're in university today I suggest going to your schools job fairs/events/ any gatherings and network as much as you can. Being a people person is important.
This is pure fact. Someone I graduated law school with in 2011 is now a director at a major record label. There's a bit more to the story but I'm just giving example, not trying to expose. That's the kind of job that usually goes to someone with years and years of experience.

Persistence is the key. I was unemployed for over a year before landing at my current job. If your alma mater has a alumni resource center in your city, utilize it. I had my resume revised by a career counselor and I got more responses from the new version than I did previously.

I start work this Monday for a government job that was never posted, and was never open until a former professor of mine made a phone call for me. 

I went to the office one day thinking I was just going to meet her contact and talk about future opportunities, but when I got there he was ready to make room for me immediately just off of her recommendation. 

I had 3 interviews in two weeks, and after 3 weeks I was hired. All of this after applying for at least 50 jobs (doing specific cover letters, filling out hour long applications, taking tests, etc.) that were all less desirable than this one.

It is crazy how these things work 
ohwell.gif

That "Its not what u know, it's who u know" logic has always been around, we just meet it at different times in life. It's sad but it is what it is. I'm trying to find ways to network, but being introvert doesn't really help me :smh:

my friends that are lying on their resumes are getting jobs
go as far as listing friends as references, pretend to be their old boss, etc etc.

You can "lie" on your resumes and some job applications, but higher level positions won't tolerate that sort of stuff and they do thorough background checks before and after offers are sent out.

When I mean higher level positions, I'm talking about HR calling the HR dept. of your "former" employers and confirming the dates you've worked for them. I don't know if your friends lying for you will help you out on that one.

Besides, during the interview--most interviewers can tell if you know what you're talking about when speaking of your roles and responsibilities regarding your previous place of employment. I've interviewed several people during the last few months for some open positions we had and I saw many kids stumble during the interview :smh:

I do a lot of recruiting for my company and I'm very familiar with the hiring process. To give you guys an idea--Our hiring process is very much like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan.

Simply put--you shouldn't blatantly lie, you WILL get caught.

Last edited:
 I can't be almost 21 asking moms for money and to take care of me, and I damn sure not trying to be one of those dudes 27 and living with moms. My plan is to get a job this month and save up at least 7,000 for a down payment on an apartment by December.

2014 is my year, let's get it.
wish more people thought like this

The skills section is where i stretch the truth...if i come across or know even a little bit about any program/software i throw it on there if its relevant to the position...i just look it up online if i ever have to use it and that's been working for me

Can you explain your method to me some more bruh? Pm me if you want

my friends that are lying on their resumes are getting jobs
go as far as listing friends as references, pretend to be their old boss, etc etc.

Bruh this is also the same exact thing I've been doing :lol:

My friends already know the deal, if an employer calls asking about me then make me sound like a saint and help get your boi foot through the door. :smokin

wish more people thought like this

Yeah, now the difficult part would be trying to get my first apartment without two copies of a W2 form, steady work history, good credit, and no cosigner. Ish is real out here :\ :frown: :smh:

Maybe I should make a thread about that.

Last edited:
Simply put--you shouldn't blatantly lie, you WILL get caught.
Explain this more. If they don't lie, they won't be qualified for the job and won't get hired. IF they do lie....the worst that can happen is they get caught and don't get the job. But they have a chance at getting hired if the lies are believed. Soooooo.....what's the risk of lying? Explain why they shouldn't again?

is there something you guys would recommend to someone who isn't experienced at all in MS office, I can't afford to buy it but is there something out there?

I have lost about 3-5 jobs bc I didn't know excel and other programs, I usually don't even apply when the job entails MS office.

two years with a degree, nothing to show for 
tired.gif

is there something you guys would recommend to someone who isn't experienced at all in MS office, I can't afford to buy it but is there something out there?
I have lost about 3-5 jobs bc I didn't know excel and other programs, I usually don't even apply when the job entails MS office.

two years with a degree, nothing to show for |I  

..........I mean.....w/o telling u to download a torrent....

But u mean to tell me that u have NEVER used MS Office? I mean, EVER? I find it hard to be believe but not totally unbelievable. See if you know somebody w/ Office 2010 or something. That has more than one user allowed per key as opposed to Office 13

I just remembered opencourseware has courses for free so I'd check there too. I'm on there now learning about project management and business analyst roles

Back
Top Bottom