Cell phone issue in Korea.

I was going to put this into the Android thread but this is more of a broad question. Anyways, is anyone knowledgable of the cell phone infrastructure in South Korea? I went today to get a sim card for my unlocked Nexus One but was turned away. The associate stated that she would have to take my phone for a month to "fix" it and that this procedure would cost around $400 since Korea uses a different radio then the US/Europe. Just to be sure I went to a few more companies who all told me the same thing. The funny thing is that they had the Nexus One sitting in their display which is free with a 2 year contract. IT'S THE SAME !#$+$!# PHONE! Is there some way I can "fix" my phone myself? I'm googling but not coming across much info...

I was going to put this into the Android thread but this is more of a broad question. Anyways, is anyone knowledgable of the cell phone infrastructure in South Korea? I went today to get a sim card for my unlocked Nexus One but was turned away. The associate stated that she would have to take my phone for a month to "fix" it and that this procedure would cost around $400 since Korea uses a different radio then the US/Europe. Just to be sure I went to a few more companies who all told me the same thing. The funny thing is that they had the Nexus One sitting in their display which is free with a 2 year contract. IT'S THE SAME !#$+$!# PHONE! Is there some way I can "fix" my phone myself? I'm googling but not coming across much info...

laugh.gif

Not sure, but I know that in the US there are two main network technologies; GSM and CDMA. Many cell phone companies will ship the same model of phone with different capabilities, depending on which carrier(s) are getting the phone. (This is why companies like Samsung make cell phone "lines" like the Galaxy S series. The phones will differ physically, but have identical OS'. The main difference is the network technology that the phones carry.) GSM and CDMA phones are NOT compatible with the opposite type of network technology, to my knowledge.

I'm not too sure about how Google and HTC handled the Nexus One, but it's certainly possible that they shipped out the Nexus One in one format in America and different formats across the globe, and in this case South Korea.

If that's the case (which I assume it is,) you'll just have to take the L, bruh. If all of South Korea is using CDMA technology and you're on GSM, you're just out of luck my dude. Try looking up which network your Nexus is using, and then look up the network that the company you're trying to go through uses. Try to go through their customer service to figure out the exact reason why you need this "fix."

Not sure, but I know that in the US there are two main network technologies; GSM and CDMA. Many cell phone companies will ship the same model of phone with different capabilities, depending on which carrier(s) are getting the phone. (This is why companies like Samsung make cell phone "lines" like the Galaxy S series. The phones will differ physically, but have identical OS'. The main difference is the network technology that the phones carry.) GSM and CDMA phones are NOT compatible with the opposite type of network technology, to my knowledge.

I'm not too sure about how Google and HTC handled the Nexus One, but it's certainly possible that they shipped out the Nexus One in one format in America and different formats across the globe, and in this case South Korea.

If that's the case (which I assume it is,) you'll just have to take the L, bruh. If all of South Korea is using CDMA technology and you're on GSM, you're just out of luck my dude. Try looking up which network your Nexus is using, and then look up the network that the company you're trying to go through uses. Try to go through their customer service to figure out the exact reason why you need this "fix."

Thanks bro. Looks like I'll be picking up another Android phone here and just keeping that one on ice until I get back to the states.

Thanks bro. Looks like I'll be picking up another Android phone here and just keeping that one on ice until I get back to the states.

Back
Top Bottom