Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been a pretty strong supporter of Kaepernick and his actions, but I can't support not voting.

For someone who is speaking and standing up against racial inequality and oppression he most definitely should have voted, especially in the state of CA.

Proposition 51 created $9 billion in bonds for improving school facilities and education but it does not guarantee equitable distribution of the bond money, giving well-funded school districts with consultants a better chance of applying for and receiving money than smaller and poorer districts.

Proposition 57 allows parole consideration for nonviolent felons and allows juvenile court judges to decide whether juveniles will be prosecuted as adults. We already know blacks get mistreatment from law enforcement all over the country, this was a serious issue that he should have voted on and did not.

Proposition 59 recommends California propose an amendment to overturn Citizens United decision, which removed some limits for corporate and union campaign spending. This would be integral in stopping systemic racism as it limits corporations and their contributions to campaigns.

Kap definitely undermined his position by not showing up to the polls on Tuesday.

Well put. As I said before, people are so hung up on whether or not he should have voted for Trump/Clinton that they lost sight of the fact that he could have made an impact by voting in another way.

Can't believe what I'm reading, it's quite sad. Guess you all will have to actually see things get worse for our community at large to actually open your eyes. If you stayed home and didn't even bother to participate, you did your own self and community a disservice and that's real.

What the **** is gonna get worse? Seriously, I want somebody to tell me what is gonna happen that hasn't been happening. Are they lock us up on false, fake charges? Are they gonna make up laws based on race? Are cops gonna start hunting us down and killing us?

We been feeling the pain of America. These other groups that thought cuz they're not black they were better, they're gonna feel it.

What gets worse is we now have a Republican govt that will not hide the fact that they are behind the police and will pass laws to support that. Trump has already said we need nationwide stop and frisk laws, and even though he will face difficulty passing it, hypothetically he has the backing to do it.

Kaep's an idiot. How could you watch this election play out and still think your vote doesn't make a difference? If you don't vote you're an idiot. If you don't vote and complain about the results you're useless to society

What the **** is gonna get worse? Seriously, I want somebody to tell me what is gonna happen that hasn't been happening. Are they lock us up on false, fake charges? Are they gonna make up laws based on race? Are cops gonna start hunting us down and killing us?

We been feeling the pain of America. These other groups that thought cuz they're not black they were better, they're gonna feel it.

Examples have been given in 2 different threads, either you just don't care or think that mass incarceration and police brutally are the only things that affect our community. Or you just don't care to see the progress that have been made minimal you think it is on those fronts as well.

I think more than we know it's gonna get worse we know for sure it ain't gonna get any better. It's odd say that you are for changing a system and removing people who treat your brothers and sisters unjustly and not take the time to locate and suggest/vote people who, like you, want to improve the system.

I understand the irony of us needing a system, that was not built for us, to help us but at this point this is our best option. If you sittin' back thinkin' that there's nothing we can do/our votes don't matter but can't formulate any other option or process to make a change, you foolin' yourself.

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Kaepernick and his actions, but I can't support not voting.

For someone who is speaking and standing up against racial inequality and oppression he most definitely should have voted, especially in the state of CA.

Proposition 51 created $9 billion in bonds for improving school facilities and education but it does not guarantee equitable distribution of the bond money, giving well-funded school districts with consultants a better chance of applying for and receiving money than smaller and poorer districts.

Proposition 57 allows parole consideration for nonviolent felons and allows juvenile court judges to decide whether juveniles will be prosecuted as adults. We already know blacks get mistreatment from law enforcement all over the country, this was a serious issue that he should have voted on and did not.

Proposition 59 recommends California propose an amendment to overturn Citizens United decision, which removed some limits for corporate and union campaign spending. This would be integral in stopping systemic racism as it limits corporations and their contributions to campaigns.

Kap definitely undermined his position by not showing up to the polls on Tuesday.
Someone gets it.

Cats will sit on the computer all day and complain about black folks' position in America and wax poetic about what we need to do.  But nobody does anything because the system is rigged and votes don't matter.  

I have the utmost respect for Kaep and he IS doing more than most of us.  But when you're trying to solve problems, there's more than one way to tackle them.  You need allies on every level of government, so while local elections are of the utmost importance, we can't pretend that national elections simply don't matter.  Case in point?  Criminal Justice reform.  With a Trump presidency that is completely off the table.  Clinton, while very disliked, ran on that platform.  So something could've been done nationally that DOES affect us, but cats are telling me that it doesn't matter?  Trump won WI by 27,000 votes!  

No, a Clinton presidency wasn't going to magically solve all of the ills in the black community.  But something could've been done to solve some of the problems.  Hell, give me ONE piece of legislation on a national level and it'd be worth it.  With Trump literally nothing will even begin to be addressed.  Remember, this is a man who said that black people live in hell and get shot walking down the street.  

Can't believe what I'm reading, it's quite sad. Guess you all will have to actually see things get worse for our community at large to actually open your eyes. If you stayed home and didn't even bother to participate, you did your own self and community a disservice and that's real.

Change your perspective a little and ask yourself what is going to get better?  

Why are we content with just making it like we always have and saying "well, we've suffered through Reagan and Bush....we'll be okay"?  

You gotta use the system to your advantage, even though we know the system is very ****** up.  The only other option is complacency and, well, nothing changes.  

Based on the way this election went, literally every single vote mattered. There were more than 11,000 people that wasted votes by writing in either Harambe or Hennessy. In parts of different cities/counties, Trump and Hillary were separated by less than 5000 votes.

Not really though. I'm in Texas. It was going Republican no matter how I voted. My vote for Hillary was worthless. Same for Republicans in California. Its always going to be Democrat so voting for Trump in California was worthless. Most votes are worthless with the electoral college unless you're in a swing state.

Examples have been given in 2 different threads, either you just don't care or think that mass incarceration and police brutally are the only things that affect our community. Or you just don't care to see the progress that have been made minimal you think it is on those fronts as well.

No. I just don't fall for the trick that progress was being made. So they shot us with a shotgun and gave us a band-aid and cocoa butter. Thank you for that minimal progress.

No. I just don't fall for the trick that progress was being made. So they shot us with a shotgun and gave us a band-aid and cocoa butter. Thank you for that minimal progress.
So what's the plan for progress that isn't minimal? 

Not really though. I'm in Texas. It was going Republican no matter how I voted. My vote for Hillary was worthless. Same for Republicans in California. Its always going to be Democrat so voting for Trump in California was worthless. Most votes are worthless with the electoral college unless you're in a swing state.
I'd hate to think of a vote as worthless but it def feels that way if you're not in one of those "swing states"

There's no trick, there's tangible advances and progress that has been made but how you view it is obviously up to you. I'm just going to leave it honestly, like I said before you'll just have to see it for yourself. Those gains that have been made can and likely will be regressed very quickly. And it goes beyond whose in jail or how we're treated by the power structure, that's going to always be there at a base level. But sitting on the sidelines at the same time complaining isn't helping advance anything. Imagine if that same apathy was the prevailing attitude during the 60s.

I'd hate to think of a vote as worthless but it def feels that way if you're not in one of those "swing states"

It's a lie as well there's always state and local measures on the ballot that will have more of a direct effect on you. Don't fall for it.

It's a lie as well there's always state and local measures on the ballot that will have more of a direct effect on you. Don't fall for it.

We were talking about the Presidential election though...so...

So, what I'm getting from you guys is ....even though the candidates don't have the best interests at heart for black people...Kaep and (others who didn't vote) still should have chosen one ?

I'm speaking exclusively on the Presidential candidates.

We were talking about the Presidential election though...so...

We're not. We're talking about voting period which Kap didn't do. There was a death penalty measure, marajuana legalization, and environmental initiatives among others (Senate and Reps) on the ballot. It's about more than the president which is why the GOP always gets congress cause the left only comes out in earnest when there is a presidental election. That's why what Kap, Killer Mike and whoever is peddling the nonsense that your vote either doesn't count or it's OK to stay at home is dangerous.

What's the solution if voting doesn't work ? ... and the way some blacks talk about voting like it's some magic cure all is weird

This was very informal

Based on the way this election went, literally every single vote mattered. There were more than 11,000 people that wasted votes by writing in either Harambe or Hennessy. In parts of different cities/counties, Trump and Hillary were separated by less than 5000 votes.

Its the same way in AZ, it's a red state despite my vote no matter what. However, based on the results this year, AZ will be a swing state very soon. Might be 10-15 years from now, but things are definitely changing around here

We're not. We're talking about voting period which Kap didn't do. There was a death penalty measure, marajuana legalization, and environmental initiatives among others (Senate and Reps) on the ballot. It's about more than the president which is why the GOP always gets congress cause the left only comes out in earnest when there is a presidental election. That's why what Kap, Killer Mike and whoever is peddling the nonsense that your vote either doesn't count or it's OK to stay at home is dangerous.

perfect response. It's really that simple, state by state there are all kinds of unique measures on their ballot to vote for besides the presidential candidates. It's as if Kaep and people who refuse to vote don't understand that. And if Kaep also refuses to vote during the primaries then what? It's like he's accepting defeat because of the system that is in place

I really respect what Kaep has done with his protest. However, as a Black man I think active engagement in the political process through voting is very important. Too many people have laid down their lives for my right to vote and too many people are actively trying to gut the voting rights act to make it harder for people of color to vote. I understand how people get disillusioned and disappointed when they vote and the outcomes don't go your way but it is voting in local races on a CONSISTENT basis that really changes things.

For example, scumbag Jan Brewster said at a Trump rally not to worry because Mexicans don't vote. If people don't vote on a consistent basis there is no fear from our elected officials that they ever have to care about your needs. There is a reason why social security is left alone for the most part because older white voters vote.

Believing your vote doesn't count and not bothering to vote empowers the right wing establishment to oppress you even more. There is a reason why they've tried and succeeded in enacting stricter voter ID laws across the Midwest and South. It's to protect their established voters and create another barrier for the poor and minorities to be able to have their voice heard. It's no coincidence that voter turnout was at its lowest in the most urban areas of Wisconsin since the stricter voter ID laws were put in place. Kaep had the people's ear with his protest and he pretty much told those who were listening to not even bother voting which pretty much makes those pushing these deplorable laws to suppress the minority vote that much easier.

Back
Top Bottom