Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
on the real
the "acting white" thing wasn't even the issue
or being white washed
the issue was when folks started to act like they were to good for certain things
acting all bougie
talking about everything is ghetto
thats when folks started not to mess with u
like "i don't like kool aid that ghetto"
when black folks doing stuff like that to try and demean things
and make it seem like they are better than other black folks
i know plenty of white washed or whatever black folks
and its only cause they either went to school around white folks
even though they lived in the hood
or just was around predominantly white folks
but they still know and understand the racism
its only cause they are around them more
that they picked up some of there mannerisms

I'm 28 and didn't really hear "talk white" as much if at all personally. Dudes was gettin' clowned for getting held back or not graduating. Yea, words like nerd or geek were thrown around but mostly in gest. Top table cool kids were playin' multiple sports, smokin' weed, and and making decent to top grades.

I'd wager that the making fun of kids for being smart is a far minority based on more kids being picked on for being stupid than smart

I'm 28 and didn't really hear "talk white" as much if at all personally. Dudes was gettin' clowned for getting held back or not graduating. Yea, words like nerd or geek were thrown around but mostly in gest. Top table cool kids were playin' multiple sports, smokin' weed, and and making decent to top grades.

I'd wager that the making fun of kids for being smart is a far minority based on more kids being picked on for being stupid than smart
by the time ms and hs rolled around dudes were to focused on tryna get yambs
and wear the newest shoes to be tripping if somebody was white washed or acted white
elementary yeah probably but after that nobody was tripping off that

Speaking from experience (where I grew up) kids definitely pick on other kids that speak properly. Almost as if it's a bad thing. I've been victim to the "you talk white" thing. (It had nothing to do with how I dressed or how I carried myself). And yes kids still do this. I hear it.

I remember in HS I was on the phone with my girl (at the time), her best friend, and the best friends boyfriend. I've never met the dude person beforehand, only talked on the phone when our gf's would call us. And when he found out I was black he was in disbelief, as if black people aren't capable of using proper English. :smh:

22221882_10210230669063189_3171297254553411396_n.jpg

Speaking from experience (where I grew up) kids definitely pick on other kids that speak properly. Almost as if it's a bad thing. I've been victim to the "you talk white" thing. (It had nothing to do with how I dressed or how I carried myself). And yes kids still do this. I hear it.

I remember in HS I was on the phone with my girl (at the time), her best friend, and the best friends boyfriend. I've never met the dude person beforehand, only talked on the phone when our gf's would call us. And when he found out I was black he was in disbelief, as if black people aren't capable of using proper English. :smh:
i mean
didn't seem like he was dissing u though
just that ur voice sounded white
nothing to trip off of
seems like u kinda built up a lil animosity over the years
of people saying u sound white
don't trip bruh
sound however u wanna sound
don't let someone else opinion
affect ur mood

by the time ms and hs rolled around dudes were to focused on tryna get yambs
and wear the newest shoes to be tripping if somebody was white washed or acted white
elementary yeah probably but after that nobody was tripping off that
I can't even say ES cause I don't think most kinds really understood race at that age. 5th grade I was into wrestling, pokemon cards, and lookin' at girls booties all while getting all a's and only one b for the entire year.

Hell, you was on top of the world when you got all a's and got to go to the pizza party during the school day. Nerd/geek was really reserved for the "weirdo" kids or kids from different countries that we weren't used to

I can't even say ES cause I don't think most kinds really understood race at that age. 5th grade I was into wrestling, pokemon cards, and lookin' at girls booties all while getting all a's and only one b for the entire year.

Hell, you was on top of the world when you got all a's and got to go to the pizza party during the school day. Nerd/geek was really reserved for the "weirdo" kids or kids from different countries that we weren't used to
well i mean
in es i was watching
in living color
martin
living single
stuff like that
and they talked about race
plus i went to a school that was predominantly white and asian
where all the black kids in the school knew each other
and u could count so.......
i was aware of race and all that at the time

I turn 28 this month. It is actually good that this isn't what occurs any more. I went to public schools prior to attending a private school in high school. The competitiveness of being at the top of the class was night and day. The "honors" program in public was similar. But what was referred to as "residence" students had a lot of what Barkley described.

Dont disagree with a word shared hear, I went to public school until highschool and my mom will gladly say "I wanted you in an environment where it was cool to be a nerd". I played sports and was pretty active but every now then you would get the occasional you talk white but at the end of the day my skin was thicker then that. While some may make it out and go off to college it is a much easier and better experience when you have peers that share your same mindset and are pushing to not only be great on a field or court but in the classroom as well.

Now compound that with a black kid from Cali not seeing this on a grand stage from other peers that look like him and HBCU's take on a new meaning to the psyche of a black man seeing people that look like him but want the same thing intellectually and just not athletically. The college I went to sports took a backseat honestly which was a different change of pace from highschool

What's funny is Chuck ain't even that bright. Dude can barely articulate himself. Them NOI brothers are wayyyy more intelligent and articulate than him, people wouldn't confuse Farrakhan with a oreo cookie.

You're not called a sellout Chuck cuz you're "smart" it's cuz you defend WS.

i mean
didn't seem like he was dissing u though
just that ur voice sounded white
nothing to trip off of
seems like u kinda built up a lil animosity over the years
of people saying u sound white
don't trip bruh
sound however u wanna sound
don't let someone else opinion
affect ur mood

I mean , I didn't take super offense to it and go off on dude, but it's definitely a "smh" moment. Like...how does one "talk white" and why is it held as the standard for speaking properly ? lol

But nah no animosity over here. It is annoying when people tell me that but I don't trip.

It makes sense if you're from a certain age demographic. That doesn't occur as much anymore.

somewhat agree, although contemporary topical versions of this still include "us vs them" and linguistics & voice cadence, as well as "cultural appropriation" still rage on.

well i mean
in es i was watching
in living color
martin
living single
stuff like that
and they talked about race
plus i went to a school that was predominantly white and asian
where all the black kids in the school knew each other
and u could count so.......
i was aware of race and all that at the time

True, I did go to a majority black school so yea,

And nothing to do with grades and academic achievement

back then "nerds" weren't poppin & were seen as cornballs, and academics were inextricably linked to that "proper speak" "acting white" etc.

ya forget cats like grant hill, and Puff Daddy trailblazed da modern "he's smart, but he's cool". archetype.

back then "nerds" weren't poppin & were seen as cornballs, and academics were inextricably linked to that "proper speak" "acting white" etc.

ya forget cats like grant hill, and Puff Daddy trailblazed da modern "he's smart, but he's cool". archetype.

Not in my hood

Back
Top Bottom