Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
- Independent legal body that will recommend whether a trial should take place in cases where serious injury/death by police occurs.

- making the police unions (or the cop(s)) financially accountable for damages that result from their actions in the event they were not justifiable instead of municipalities.

- mandatory recording and reporting of all police-involved shootings.

- emphasis on the character of cop recruits during the selection and training processes.

- gun control: it's a fact that a police force can only be effective if it can match or exceed the power confered to the people. Unfortunately, we cannot have a weaponless police force like the UK because of the sheer amount of guns in circulation in the US.

1) That's called the US department of justice. And if an "independent legal body" is actually ever created that can usurp the authority of the Judicial branch I will be genuinely shocked

2) How does that stop systematic racism or ingrained prejudice?

3) 4) based on an honor code that's already supposedly been implemented 

5) Here's my thing about this. When I was younger it was commonplace for dudes to talk about owning techs and AKs. When I hear songs even bigger firepower gets bragged about. My issue is most of the guy's being slain by cops are being killed by pistols. Can any of us really imagine a US where cops didn't have pistols?

???

Why don't we move the conversation along. What can we do to help our communities have higher graduation rates and exposure to more fulfilling lifestyle options

What do professional engineers, doctors, and police officers have in common?

Their work (or the result of it) puts them in contact with the general public. The only corps that doesn't have a regulatory body in the US is the police. Malpractice gets your PE or medical license revoked. In the case of the police, it gets you a paid vacation and the support of your colleagues.

1/ My first point is meant to address the widespread collusion that exists between police departments and the justice system, specifically the DAs; they often rely on the police to find evidence that will help them win their cases, and in return, rarely prosecute police officers for their illegal behavior. With a legal, independent body within the Justice department, only charged with investigating and recommending trials for police officers, it will remove that particular set of incentives from the way the system operates.

2/ The goal of this solution is to bring police unions and their members closer to the consequences of the actions they cause in order to push those unions to promote policing according to the rules. Right now, any case of of police misconduct is settled by the city responsible for the cop. Usually, the one at fault can still exercise the profession in another department. That shouldn't happen.

3/ 4/ Many police departments in the US do not record or report police-involved shootings. You can look that up. How do you know there is (or isn't) a problem when you haven't even taken the necessary measures to quantify it? And if the character of those would-be officers is being examined, it is not thorough enough. Too many of them choose to protect the wrongdoers within their ranks. You wouldn't see that among doctors or engineers.

5/ A US with less guns - let me rephrase that: a US with a healthier relationship with guns is a US I can imagine because it would look more like Switzerland and less like Honduras.
Furthermore, clearer restrictions on when and where one can be armed would decrease cops' reliance on the tired "I thought he was armed" argument used to shoot too quickly when they feel like it.

Regarding the last question, it is not the object of the discussion, nor does it matter right now because even when you're an educated negro, you're still looked at as a threat outside of an office environment. The people speaking up in support of Kaep's the protest are all educated (formally or informally) and look at how they're called online and IRL. Nobody mentions their degrees, nobody mentions their certifications, nobody mentions the books they wrote; they're just angry *******.

I dont know awyea or what his history has been on here but honestly he didnt say anything in this thread that wasnt true. All these protests, all these responses to recent events are gli g nowhere. Activism is disjointed, there is no leadership and none of it is really helping to facilitate actual change. Everyone talking about agreeinf/disagreeing with Kaepernick and buying jerseys but what are the goals here? Nothing is really changing. Yall wanna jump on his back and converse on the goings on with social media, who you're gonna block and how upset you are with so-and-so but what are you really accomplishing, what are you contributing? This stuff is going nowhere fast. Yall just proving his point calling him racist ect... yall dont wanna hear nothing else but agreements.

Last edited:
I dont know awyea or what his history has been on here but honestly he didnt say anything in this thread that wasnt true. All these protests, all these responses to recent events are gli g nowhere. Activism is disjointed, there is no leadership and none of it is really helping to facilitate actual change. Everyone talking about agreeinf/disagreeing with Kaepernick and buying jerseys but what are the goals here? Nothing is really changing. Yall wanna jump on his back and converse on the goings on with social media, who you're gonna block and how upset you are with so-and-so but what are you really accomplishing, what are you contributing? This stuff is going nowhere fast.

QFT

Blocking or deleting people due to a disagreement in beliefs is the literal definition of BIGOTRY.

I dont know awyea or what his history has been on here but honestly he didnt say anything in this thread that wasnt true. All these protests, all these responses to recent events are gli g nowhere. Activism is disjointed, there is no leadership and none of it is really helping to facilitate actual change. Everyone talking about agreeinf/disagreeing with Kaepernick and buying jerseys but what are the goals here? Nothing is really changing. Yall wanna jump on his back and converse on the goings on with social media, who you're gonna block and how upset you are with so-and-so but what are you really accomplishing, what are you contributing? This stuff is going nowhere fast. Yall just proving his point calling him racist ect... yall dont wanna hear nothing else but agreements.
thats why i asked the question , does awareness solve the problem. everyone said not in this lifetime. I  care more about solutions then celebrity endorsements , or celebrity co-signs. If nothing is going to change , he can protest and not stand all he wants and its futile. 

Last edited:
Do yall raise awareness of others around you or try to educate? My grandma hit me with the black on black crime line a few days ago and I was looking like Martin Baker standing at the podium :lol:

I feel like education is currently the biggest contribution you can make as an American to the cause. There are people in 2016 who don't believe racism exists for different reasons. Lack of awareness is one of the reasons.

There are multiple solutions that must come to solve the problem. There's no single thing to hold on to with something this complicated. Everyone really involved in the cause has a place whether you agree with how they show their concern or not. All means to an end.

I dont know awyea or what his history has been on here but honestly he didnt say anything in this thread that wasnt true. All these protests, all these responses to recent events are gli g nowhere. Activism is disjointed, there is no leadership and none of it is really helping to facilitate actual change. Everyone talking about agreeinf/disagreeing with Kaepernick and buying jerseys but what are the goals here? Nothing is really changing. Yall wanna jump on his back and converse on the goings on with social media, who you're gonna block and how upset you are with so-and-so but what are you really accomplishing, what are you contributing? This stuff is going nowhere fast.

QFT

Blocking or deleting people due to a disagreement in beliefs is the literal definition of BIGOTRY.

Now you sir, are a different story. Awyea seems to get it, you however....

what i meant is that racism is not black peoples problem to fix or find "solutions" to

of course theyre not going to fix it on their own, but the respectability politics that comes into race discussions often only serves to fulfill white supremacists talking points

what i meant is that racism is not black peoples problem to fix or find "solutions" to

of course theyre not going to fix it on their own, but the respectability politics that comes into race discussions often only serves to fulfill white supremacists talking points

I know what you meant, maybe ur comments weren't directed at me, if so disregard. I didnt understand how respectability politics applies to anything i said or awyea said.

the respectability politics wasnt directed at you

its just my observation on how ppl like to bring up x y and z that black people need to fix, as if thats justification for white peoples hate

I agree with you, but Kaep is doing something
He just donated $60,000 to kids in NYC and pledged to donate all his jersey sales to needy kids
He is being a leader
I was wrong for doubting Kaep at the beginning because he sucks as a QB and was using this as excuse to not get cut, well he still sucks but he has a good heart
Guys like Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples have invested in the communities they lived in, and I hope more people with the capital that they have can contribute the same type of effort to lessen the ill effects of poverty and give the kids more hope to be successful

Problem is that mainstream media doesn't really highlight those good works
All they show is minorities looking bad.

But I do agree that we should look for solutions to a problem instead of just doing the blame game and insulting each other

It's funny how whenever you bring up things that happen to black people, people always wanna twist it.

You can bring up issues in with Hispanics, gays, handicap, women and people will be behind it.

Whenever black people show black pride it's seen as a threat.

You can show gay pride, hispanic, asian, jewish, irish even arab and it's cool.

thats why i asked the question , does awareness solve the problem. everyone said not in this lifetime. I  care more about solutions then celebrity endorsements , or celebrity co-signs. If nothing is going to change , he can protest and not stand all he wants and its futile. 

I feel you but it's not going to be solved overnight. There's been a ton of activity since he started this protest, just look at the chain of events. The first few times he did it no one even noticed. Then a meeting with a green beret led him to kneel instead of sit. Now other players have joined his protest even across different sports, he's gotten support from vets and the commander in chief, there's been backlash from folks like the SCPD and that white chick with the speech patterns of Jim Rome. He's made it an issue that can't just be ignored. Let another cop kill an innocent civilian and watch the reaction this time, it's inevitable. All this activity is the purpose of activism.. eventually it's going to snowball into a movement and that's when we'll see the solutions you're hoping for.

Last edited:
Why is the "Why is he complaining and why doesn't he donate all his money" a go to for white racists? :lol: ''

From a logical stand point what sense does that make? I can't speak out against injustice until I give all my money away? Somehow that's the only way to legitimize the deficiencies I'm speaking out against.

I can't stand up against bombing innocent children unless I volunteer at a hospital in Syria? :\
No one on NT has said Colin should give away all his money
And part of the problem is with the inequality is the economics
The Black Panthers tried to enact programs to eliminate the dependence on the federal government and were successful until the government got rid of the people in power
But my point is that a protest can only work if you have a plan to obtain that goal of less oppression and inequality . Kaep has shown he's dedicated to the cause.

So yeah, complaining can only get you so far
Having an impact or action does greater works
That's why I applaud Kaep for keeping his word

And us protesting the Syrian war won't do anything unless the soldiers protest, because they are the ones being used to go drop bombs on them

the respectability politics wasnt directed at you

its just my observation on how ppl like to bring up x y and z that black people need to fix, as if thats justification for white peoples hate
Racism isn't just a Black and White problem or an American problem, it's a modern societal problem on a global scale. As Americans we simply have the luxury and cultural liberties to discuss it in the open.

I don't believe any person is born racist, people are taught racism. The desire for "racial supremacy" by any one is fueled by personal insecurity.

I can't speak on what other people bring up on what black people need to fix. But there are things that we as a community need to champion and most specifically those who are clearly struggling need to get together, regardless of what other communities/societies believe we should focus on.

Education

Fiscal Responsibility

Elevating the family unit

The trinity of communal success. It's not some hidden secret, and it has nothing to do with "respectability politics". Protest all you want, letting people know injustice has taken place is important; but when your done it's time to handle business- So we can combat the prejudice and stereotyping that grips this nation and makes things harder from the baseline, when they shouldn't be. @FrankMatthews  thanks for seeing the points I've been laboring to make

Last edited:
that paragraph was nice it had a lot of words that sounded good

education, fiscal responsibility, family unit, all truly wonderful!

if only all black people were educated, fiscally responsible and had a family then we wouldnt even be talking about this

This dude didn't come in here is giving an alternate opinion. He came in here to antagonize folk. Peep his first couple post

If was only when there was blow back did he hop on this "you guys don't want to listen to different opinions"

Why not lead with an cogent argument instead of ********? Every troll in the history of NT, especially in threads regarding racism, have done the same thing.

Maybe dudes are just tired of this nonsense for the 849588955786th time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom