College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

April 4, 2008

Will Favors consider Duke?

[h1]Will Favors consider Duke?[/h1]
Brian McLawhorn
Devils Illustrated Publisher

Talk about it in Devil Insider
Atlanta (Ga.) South Atlanta High power forward DerrickFavors is one of the most sought after uncommitted recruits that the 2009 class has to offer and like any program in America, Duke would love to have himjoin their quest for a national title.

[table][tr][td]
DERRICK-FAVORS-200_ACTION.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Duke has increased its recruitment of Derrick Favors.[/td] [/tr][/table]Though the Blue Devils have remained in contact throughout the year, their efforts in luring Favors to Duke has increased over the last several weeks.According to the 6-foot-9, 220-pound five-star prospect, mail on Duke letterhead has been coming in quite heavily as of late.

"They send tons of letters to me and I've noticed that they are probably recruiting me harder than they have in the past," Favors said."They have been recruiting me though for a while. They sent an assistant coach (Steve Wojciechowski ) to watch me during my season and they've shown me that they are interested. Theyare recruiting me as hard as any of the other schools."

While Duke has certainly expressed their desire to make Favors a Blue Devil, how much interest does the nation's No. 3 player have in return?

"I like Duke," Favors said. "I will consider Duke and just look at the situation and see if it's a good fit for me. I like the history andtradition at Duke and I love the Duke-North Carolina game and everything it is about.

"I don't know a whole lot about the game, but I know its a fun game and has a great atmosphere with all the fans and !#$% Vitale and all that.It's something I would love to be a part of."

Aside from the tradition and college sports greatest rivalry, Favors doesn't know a whole lot about Duke other than what he sees on television and theinformation the coaching staff has sent along the way.

"I don't really know a whole lot about their style of play, but I do know they shoot a lot of threes," he said. "I'm comfortableshooting the three, too, so if I get an open shot and the coaches will let me I have no problems taking it. Other than that I just know a little bit about thecampus.

"I was there last year for the Bob Gibbons tournament and I got to play at Duke. [Cameron Indoor] was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but Iliked it. It was nice place to play in. I could feel [the history] when I walked in."

Despite his genuine interest in the Blue Devils, and a host of other programs on his list, many analysts say it would simply be shocking to see Favors leavethe Peach State. Devils Illustrated asked Favors to touch on how important location is for him and how much of a role it will eventually play in his decision.

"Location could be a big part of my decision," he said. "I have a lot of friends and family that would love to see me play, so being close tohome and them being able to watch me will be important. It's not the only thing I'll look at. I have to make sure I like the players on the team andI'll look at how many guys there are at my position."

So far, Favors has visited Southern Cal, Georgia and Georgia Tech. He said he still has a lot of schools he hopes to visit, including Duke. He is currentlyunaware of when any trips to campuses will take place, but it appears as there is no rush on his end.

As of now, Favors doesn't appear to be close to his decision and will likely continue with his evaluation process to the end of the summer and possiblybeyond. For fans that have a strong interest in Favors recruitment, buckle down because this one appears to be one that will carry on for some time.

Last season, Favors averaged 24 points, 18 rebounds and nine blocks per game.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I think it was the Favors kid that said....yeah Duke is showing interest but they won't communicate with me....just talking to my coaches and my dad.

He was confused as to what they're process is..idk what's goin on with how K goes about business now
As much as I love the Paulus, Scheyer's etc... I miss the JWills, Will Avery's.. and when the $!!@ are we going to get a damn low postpresence????
smh.gif

I also miss them playing with the chocolate brown basketball... that was soooooooooo necessary
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I think it was the Favors kid that said....yeah Duke is showing interest but they won't communicate with me....just talking to my coaches and my dad.

He was confused as to what they're process is..idk what's goin on with how K goes about business now
As much as I love the Paulus, Scheyer's etc... I miss the JWills, Will Avery's.. and when the $!!@ are we going to get a damn low post presence????
smh.gif

I also miss them playing with the chocolate brown basketball... that was soooooooooo necessary
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

I called it "The Duke Ball"

I had one,but somebody stole that *!%# from the Y one time....Boy....I was on 10 that day
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Maybe he felt he didn't wana get burned by kids leaving early like Maggette, Brand and Avery?

I don't think that Plumlee kid is the kind of big man yall need either...

And it's a not a race thing either like some people wana make it out to be....Singler is a tough kid and a competitor with game. More kids like him andyall would be good....

It also seems that maybe once K backed off the big time superstars....now he's having trouble landing them again?? Somethin doesn't add up.

look out for omari lawrence out of st rays kids a player and if im correct allen georgetown has been looking at him hard as well as arizona and i think memphis

Yea Allen, I love Singler he's good money in my book. I just want players that have that impact/presence about them. Those who are/want to take over thegame and have the ability to do it. I thought DeMarcus would be this type of player... boy was I wrong
smh.gif

I think the Corey/Shawn/Loul situation really rubbed him bad, but he needs to get over that %$%*... like RIGHT NOW!!! I'm not going to be able to takeanother 2nd round/Sweet 16 exit next yr....

and Yea Dre I had one as well
pimp.gif
... Same Fate Too
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

BRO has learned that Lance Stephenson, the 6-5 small forward from Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln, the #3-ranked player in the nation for the class of 2009, wants to go as a package to college with his buddy, Renardo Sidney, the 6-9 post from Los Angeles (Calif.) Fairfax, the #2-ranked player in the nation.
Stephenson visited UCLA's campus on Sunday.

He was in Los Angeles playing in an AAU event on Sidney's team, the L.A. Dream Team.

The most recent information we have from Sidney is that he wants to stay on the west coast, in Los Angeles preferably. The schools at the top of his list are UCLA and USC, and we've heard ASU is the other he's considering.

We've also heard that if Stephenson does do the "package deal" with Sidney, and comes to the west coast for college, both Sidney and Stephenson prefer that college to be UCLA.

Sources have indicated that if Sidney can get past UCLA's academic admissions, the Bruins will more than likely offer him a scholarship.

Of course, there has always been talk of package deals, and they very rarely work out, but the word is that Sidney and Stephenson intend to go to college for a short time, perhaps just one year, before going to the NBA, and want to play together

First time I've heard of that...

and if so....totally unfair
sick.gif

The rumor just came out today. I dont see it happening tho. Ben Howland has only been recruiting "HIS TYPE" of players. i think alot of UCLA fanswant him to open up and atleast take a chance on one player that isnt a fit of his and work it out. it seems he maybe changing because he went from not eventalking to sidney to sitting down with sidney and his family. UCLA needs someone in the back court like stephenson that can take over a game. we got Hoildaycoming in so hopefully that helps it out.

Yeah...Howland needs to open some things up..

Adidas connection and the big market makes it seem like if Howland really pursued it, they'd have a chance

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

look out for omari lawrence out of st rays kids a player and if im correct allen georgetown has been looking at him hard as well as arizona and i think memphis

Word. I'm really hoping Arizona lands him that would be huge.

For anybody that cares...
2008 ACC/Big Ten Challenge schedule:
Monday, Dec. 1
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech

Tuesday, Dec. 2
Duke at Purdue
Clemson at Illinois
Ohio State at Miami
Virginia at Minnesota
Iowa at Boston College

Wednesday, Dec. 3
North Carolina vs. Michigan State (Ford Field, Detroit, Mich.)
Indiana at Wake Forest
Michigan at Maryland
Florida State at Northwestern
Penn State at Georgia Tech

Also, the UNC Basketball Awards banquet is Thursday. In the past, some players have announced whether they will stay or go at the end of theceremonies. That's not to say the this years "trio" will do the same, but I thought I'd put that out there if anybody is checking for theseguys decisions.

As expected only Duke and UNC give a good game in that crap
sick.gif

Big East and Pac 10 should take their top 8 and square up
pimp.gif

another year of the big 10 getting beat down

Allen the Pac-10 and Big 12 have one going on so we cant beat down the Big east
laugh.gif

Always figured Joey Dorsey wasn't too bright...let the cat outa the bag

From Luke Winn's interview of Joey Dorsey:

-------------

LW: Those old Laurinburg guys -- Anderson, Dozier and Kareem Cooper; do you live with any of them at Memphis?

JD: We actually have a house -- 11 bedrooms, all basketball players, so mostly everybody stays there.

LW: How did you find that place?

JD: It's an on-campus thing; Coach Cal did it. It's almost like a mansion. You can get lost in there. It's decked out, too; the living room'sgot 42-inch flat screens where we can watch game tapes, or review player personnel. Or we can go upstairs where there's a theater, and just watch movies.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

another year of the big 10 getting beat down

Allen the Pac-10 and Big 12 have one going on so we cant beat down the Big east
laugh.gif

Yeah, we got a little one with the SEC...and it sucks

-------------

LW: Those old Laurinburg guys -- Anderson, Dozier and Kareem Cooper; do you live with any of them at Memphis?

JD: We actually have a house -- 11 bedrooms, all basketball players, so mostly everybody stays there.

JD: It's an on-campus thing; Coach Cal did it. It's almost like a mansion. You can get lost in there. It's decked out, too; the living room's got 42-inch flat screens where we can watch game tapes, or review player personnel. Or we can go upstairs where there's a theater, and just watch movies.

laugh.gif

The Big10/ACC Showdown SUCKS... It's terrible every year, and next year doesn't look to be any different.
smh.gif

-------------

JD: It's an on-campus thing; Coach Cal did it. It's almost like a mansion. You can get lost in there. It's decked out, too; the living room's got 42-inch flat screens where we can watch game tapes, or review player personnel. Or we can go upstairs where there's a theater, and just watch movies.

laugh.gif
I'm willing to bet it's that house they're always infor the selection show.

If that were to happen and Lance and Sidney both go to UCLA it would be a great look for UCLA I say National Championship. But the odds of that happening areslim to none but it is good to think about.

Kyle will be much better next year because he will be able to play the three hopefully and not have to play the 4 and defend the bigger players. To me that wasthe only problem he had last year. He had to guard stronger players that physically moved him out of the way on the glass and put him out of position a lot oftimes.

Back
Top Bottom