College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

No you still can...but you have to sit out 2 years...

but yeah for that reason, I'm sure he won't

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Kyle will be much better next year because he will be able to play the three hopefully and not have to play the 4 and defend the bigger players. To me that was the only problem he had last year. He had to guard stronger players that physically moved him out of the way on the glass and put him out of position a lot of times.
And who plays the 4 and 5 spots while Singler plays the 3? He'll be a 5 until he leaves, might as well get use to it.

So they ended up going with the hot mid-major guy... Ford is a good hire, though.

As much as they've recruited in the South over the last few years, I'm surprised Anthony Grant wasn't the choice... He'd have been reallystrong recruiting in Florida, Bama, Louisiana, Arkansas, etc...

Allen, can you hook it up?

http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=784593&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=784874&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=794848&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Yeah it's a good hire.

I can't get those 3...need to be a subscriber to the actual Texas site....but the other ones on the front page it looks like I can get, if you want

Originally Posted by Jetson2333

Kyle will be much better next year because he will be able to play the three hopefully and not have to play the 4 and defend the bigger players. To me that was the only problem he had last year. He had to guard stronger players that physically moved him out of the way on the glass and put him out of position a lot of times.
And who plays the 4 and 5 spots while Singler plays the 3? He'll be a 5 until he leaves, might as well get use to it.

A healthy Zoubek (trash), Plummee and Lance will occupy the big man position...

We play 3 guards so we don't have a prototypical SF...anyways....

We need a big man @ the 5.....

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

So they ended up going with the hot mid-major guy... Ford is a good hire, though.

As much as they've recruited in the South over the last few years, I'm surprised Anthony Grant wasn't the choice... He'd have been really strong recruiting in Florida, Bama, Louisiana, Arkansas, etc...

Allen Dre, can you hook it up?

http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=784593&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=784874&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=794848&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

�No problem
laugh.gif

March 11, 2008
[h1]Witherspoon takes in Virginia and Texas[/h1]
Gerry Hamilton
Orangebloods.com Staff Writer

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres
One of the top unsigned prospects in the 2008 class is Lilburn, GA forward Wesley Witherspoon. With his high school season over, the 6-foot-7.5 wing began the official visit process with a busy week visiting Virginia mid-week and The University of Texas over the weekend. Up next will deciding which schools will receive his two final official visits out of Memphis, Florida and Clemson.

[table][tr][td]
WESLEYWITHERSPOON_0268.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wesley Witherspoon took visits to Virginia and Texas last week.[/td] [/tr][/table]One thing is certain with three visits in the rear view mirror, Texas and Virginia both left a strong impression on the talented prospect.

"I had a real good time at Texas," Witherspoon said. "I got to hang out with the players and the coaches. We (Wesley and his mother) did a detailed campus tour. We toured the academic facilities. I was impressed with the game atmosphere. I had a good visit to Virginia too. For the season they are having, they are getting great fan support. They were sold out for the game against Duke. Both Texas and Virginia have excellent facilities."

One thing on the Texas visit that stood out was a sign made by a fan encouraging the Atlanta area star to pick Texas.

"They showed a sign during a timeout that said, 'Wesley, come Spoon with Texas.'" That was the first time that someone did that and it was a surprise. I thought it was funny," Witherspoon said.

With three official visits in the books, the No. 56-ranked prospect in the 2008 class has two remaining. The decision that has to be made before he takes the next two visits is which programs make the cut. With offers from Memphis, Florida, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Colorado in addition to Texas and Virginia, a decision has to be made.

"I'm not sure what is next. Me and my mom will sit down and talk about it. I likely visit Memphis, Florida or Clemson next. I'll take both of my last two visits," Witherspoon said.

One thing that has remained true to form throughout the Witherspoon recruitment is the fact that he has stayed open during the process and even keeled.

"No sir, I don't have a favorite. I'm trying not to get attached to any school until I'm done visiting," Witherspoon.

Fans of all of the programs involved will get the chance to see the versatile wing play on April 19 at Madison Square Garden in the Jordan Brand Classic.
March 11, 2008
[h1]Sidney takes in Texas[/h1]
Gerry Hamilton

The Texas Longhorn basketball program has made great strides nationally in recruiting this year with visits from some of the top prospects in the country in the 2008, 2009 and 2010 classes. On Sunday, the program hosted the brightest star of all in Los Angeles Fairax blue-chip Renardo Sidney, the No. 1-ranked prospect in the 2009 class. The Longhorns hosted the 6-foot-9 combo forward on a weekend in which Texas wrapped up a second Big 12 title in three years.

[table][tr][td]
RENARDOSYDNEYABCD2200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Renardo Sydney took an unofficial visit to Texas on Sunday.[/td] [/tr][/table]The Longhorns have hosted some of the nation's elite prospects since September with prospects such as Tyreke Evans, Jordan Hamilton and Tristan Thompson making their way to Austin to check out the Texas program. Sidney's visit, which covered Sunday and Monday, added to the high profile list of visitors.

The Fairfax combo forward burst onto the scene in the summer before his freshman year, putting together often times dominant performances at the Kingwood Classic on the spring AAU circuit. Fast forward to the 2007-08 season and the forward has continued to build on his early success and now sits atop of the 2009 class rankings.

Sidney, who moved to California from Mississippi before his sophomore season, is now one of the more coveted prospect by college programs from coast to coast. While many a program has tried to get the skilled big man on its campus, it was the Longhorns that scored last weekend with Sidney and his parents making the three hour flight to Austin.

"Everything went well," said Renardo Sidney Sr. said. "The visit was pretty good. It was really informative on how things are at Texas. They have a strength and conditioning guy that is phenomenal. Texas puts their priorities in their kids' bodies and the body is a big part of the player. I like everything that I saw. The fan base was a positive as well."

One aspect of the visit that was big was the one on one time the family spent with head coach Rick Barnes. Mr. Sidney said that Barnes told him what would be expected from a player in the program.

"We got to spend some time with Coach Barnes. He told us everything about the program and what he would expect from Renardo. In turn, we told him what we would expect for Renardo if he were to go to Texas," Sidney Sr. said.

With unofficial visits to Arizona State and Texas behind the family, Mr. Sidney has a feel for what programs have to offer, but is not yet comparing programs to each other.

"We don't try to compare school against school. We look at each school for what it is and how it fits. We look at the people and staff around the school. How the players are treated off the court. Things like that," Sidney Sr. said.

With offers from around the country in hand, the next question becomes which lucky program is next in line to get their shot at impressing the five-star prospect.

"We are not going to visit anybody else right now or for a while. If or when we do, it may be Kansas or maybe Memphis," Sidney Sr. said.

With the spring AAU circuit right around the corner beginning in full in April, Mr. Sidney is not sure of a timetable for making a decision at this point.

"We don't have a timetable for making a decision. As long as we do it before his senior season begins, I'll be happy." Mr. Sidney said.

Sidney and his LA Dream Team teammates will be taking part in an AAU tournament in Los Angeles April 10-13 to kick off their spring and summer.

April 7, 2008
[h1]Dennis focused on five[/h1]
Gerry Hamilton

Richland Hills junior guard Nolan Dennis is arguably the most coveted prospect in the state of Texas, having offers in hand from more than 40 programs. After a stat sheet stuffing junior campaign, it's no wonder that the 6-foot-5, 185-pound combo guard continues to be on the top of many college coaches' lists. Richland Hills head coach Richard Bacon says five schools stand out right now for the five-star prospect.

[table][tr][td]
NOLANDENNIS7_23200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nolan Dennis has five schools on top of his list.[/td] [/tr][/table]"He's still wide open somewhat," Bacon said. "Nolan is a pretty good student of the game. He's really watching teams, not so much on the court as far as making a decision, but who is coming in this year and who is committing to each school at his size and position. He's looking at if the coach is going to be there, which is very important. The people that have been on a constant basis are who he is closely looking at. Schools that have done their homework. All of the teams in the Final Four have his attention. Then a team that didn't make the Final Four - Texas. I would say Texas, Memphis, North Carolina, UCLA and Kansas are high."

Dennis is coming off of a junior season in which he averaged 21.2 points, 9.4 rebounds, 3.1 steals, 2.9 assists and 1.6 blocked shots. Coach Bacon says it's Dennis' length and all-around ability that has the top programs in college basketball after the Fort Worth area star.

"He's gotten better since the end of the season. He's playing unbelievable basketball right now. He handles the ball so well and is long. His length gives him the ability to guard anyone. I can't think of a specific area he needs to improve on, but just continuing to get better at everything. He can handle the ball, shoot it, drive it, guard anybody, rebound and block shots. If I had to pick one area, it would be his jump shot, but sometimes it's really on too," Bacon said.

When hearing about the complete skill set that Dennis possesses, the position he will play on the next level takes center stage. Coach Bacon said that is an easy one.

"I think he's a combo guard. Again, he's so long, but he handles the ball so well and can set his teammates up," Bacon said.

With the high school season in the rearview mirror, the No. 21 prospect in the 2009 class has now turned his attention to the spring AAU circuit and will be playing with the Dallas Mustangs under the watchful eye of every college coach in the country. With the probability that the recruiting process will wear down many a high school prospect, Coach Bacon envisions a summer decision by Dennis.

"My feel is by the end of the summer. He will have had time to take some unofficials and take the time to sit down and talk with head coaches," Bacon said.

Dennis posted a season high 38 points against Haltom and scored 44 points in Richland Hills' two playoff games. Dennis scored 25 points in a 73-67 first round win over Flower Mound Marcus and 19 points in an 89-69 loss to then No. 1 Duncanville.

There ya go.

Allen, you don't need to be a member of that specific teams site to do it. Just find the article from the homepage.

couple of things

i got this from somebody close to malcolm grant that he is planning to visit miami

and st johns is going 2 have most likely 2 transfers...mike cavataio and another player that hasnt made up his mind yet(its not justin burrell)

Calhoun pushed him out, just like he forced Ben Eaves to transfer last year.
laugh.gif
Yea, he really forced out someone who wasn't gonna seeANY playing time in his 4 years in college. And he didn't force Dougie out. Dougie smartened up and realized the backcourt was too packed. Lets see, wegot AJ, Austrie, Dougie, Beverly, Dyson, and now EZPass and ain't none of them dudes shooting guards. 5 point guards and an undersized 2 guard in Dysonmeans somebody had to make the most of the situation and bounce. I'm surprised Beverly ain't hit the road either cause he ain't seein' anyburn the next 2 years as well.

A healthy Zoubek (trash), Plummee and Lance will occupy the big man position...
This run and gun offense is coo if you got a true big man who can keep up, ala Amare, but look at the bigs K has? A healthy Zoubek is worse thana hurt Tyler Hansbroad. And Lance is a 6'7 power forward who won't grab more than 10 rebounds ever in a game. Where the mobile big men who canrebound at?

with Travis Ford going to OK State, i was thinking about the Rick Pitino "coaching tree."

Tubby Smith
Billy Donovan
Herb Sendek
John Pelphrey
Travis Ford
Mick Cronin
Reggie Theus

and i feel like i'm forgetting someone.

latest rumor from UK: Derrick Jasper is going to transfer to a California school (where he's from.)

Originally Posted by Jetson2333

Bottom line is Kyle chose the wrong school.

Kyle is a natural 3. The kid has so much skill that will never get shown because he went to Duke, and since they don't have a post presence...he getsshuffled down there. He is easily the most talented kid on their roster.

Edit:

And please be on the lookout for the UCLA fire-sale tomorrow
laugh.gif

Westbrook, Collison, Shipp and Aboya (I believe) are all announcing they will be leaving. The first three to the NBA draft and Aboya back to Cameroon where,like I said earlier, he wants to work his way to becoming President.

Love will also announce that he is gone as well in a separate press conference.

Are Shipp's financial troubles that bad right now?

I mean, he has to know he's not sniffing an NBA roster

I believe that he is looking to make a team with a 2nd round pick...and then if it doesn't work out he is heading to Europe.

He already has several Euro league teams that are willing to pay him some big $$$

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Calhoun pushed him out, just like he forced Ben Eaves to transfer last year.
laugh.gif
Yea, he really forced out someone who wasn't gonna see ANY playing time in his 4 years in college. And he didn't force Dougie out. Dougie smartened up and realized the backcourt was too packed. Lets see, we got AJ, Austrie, Dougie, Beverly, Dyson, and now EZPass and ain't none of them dudes shooting guards. 5 point guards and an undersized 2 guard in Dyson means somebody had to make the most of the situation and bounce. I'm surprised Beverly ain't hit the road either cause he ain't seein' any burn the next 2 years as well.

Right about beverly, no shot until his senior year, but Haralson comin in should be able to play the 2 at 6'4 And this dude just committed,replacement for Thabeet? Mandeldove? http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hcu-nigeriarecruit-0416,0,1446752.story

Back
Top Bottom