College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

allen i just read that vernon macklin is looking to transfer out of georgetown

i didn't see much of him except when he killed st johns in that 40 point blow out. do you think losing him will hurt?

I do think that Dozier needs to back to school. But I see him going in the late first round he has a great skill set for his size.

Yeah, reports are Vern is out
eyes.gif
frown.gif

It makes the frontcourt depth really thin..especially if Braswell doesn't qualify. Sims and Monroe are gona have to be ready to go from Day 1. And itprobably means Dajuan has to play the 4 again
grin.gif

If this it for Vern here....he was a bust, no other way to put it. He showed flashes, but he was not what he was made out to be.

I don't get it, Roy is gone...he was gona get his playing time.

He never fit the system here, although we should push the pace more this season..which is where he would excel. JT3 getting him seemed to be, to make astatement a nab a Mcd AA and top recruit. He'll leave being much more skilled then he entered though. He'll be a nice pickup for probably an ACCprogram.

Wish him the best of luck though.

But oh well...1 more scholarship for someone...and we're about to clean up

Fortunately from a Georgetown perspective, Josh Hairston is well aware of the Hoyas as he has made plenty of unofficial visits for games since the school andthe Hoya home court, the Verizon Center, are a relatively short ride - without traffic of course - from his Spotsylvania, VA home.

"Georgetown is great, I've been up there a whole lot. Coach Thompson, Coach Burke and the team have all welcomed me with open arms. It's a greatatmosphere and my family likes it up there and it's close to home," mentioned Hairston.

"I've narrowed it down a little bit, but a couple of schools have jumped in that I'm interested in. North Carolina, Duke and UCLA have called so Iwould like to give them all an equal opportunity", said Hairston.

"Right now Georgetown is number one, they were the first school to contact me so right now they are at the top of my list", he concluded.

every year, the seniors team up with some former players and travel around the state and play in exhibition games against regional high school all-star teams. last night, Ramel Bradley scored 102.
laugh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

he hit 23 threes. broke the previous scoring record of 70 held by Patrick Sparks.

Brooklyn's own Ramel Bradley still puttin up numbers. He always had the ability to score but 102, thats crazy.

Ramel had a very good showing at the draft camp in Portsmouth, leading his team in scoring a few games as did Joe.

neither will get drafted....maybe Joe late in the second round, but both will make money hooping somewhere.

NBA is not the be-all end all of basketball....

Pretty sure both of them will go overseas and make some cake...Right alongside Daniel Ewing...

I guess a couple ACC schools have told Macklin there's a spot for him.

If Clemson is one, that's a pretty good fit for him.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I guess a couple ACC schools have told Macklin there's a spot for him.

If Clemson is one, that's a pretty good fit for him.
You think it was more of him not being as good as advertised or him being in the wrong system? A ton of ACC squads could use some size, evenDuke.
laugh.gif

Word is that it's Hansbum, not Ty testing the NBA waters.
You didn't happen to get that from a state fan on a duke board did you?
laugh.gif
Seriously, nobody knows. The @@+$ changes by the hour. I've heard everyscenario possible including Danny Green thrown in the mix.

You think it was more of him not being as good as advertised or him being in the wrong system? A ton of ACC squads could use some size, even Duke.
laugh.gif

It's both..He just isn't that good, and he was in the wrong system. . He prepped for a year too, so it's not like he's behind.

His too thin, not a good rebounder, can't play D on the inside, the worst FT shooter I have ever seen.

Now he can....run, jump, block shots, and has a decent offensive post game, he actually is a very good passer.....but he's not going to be anything but arole player for whatever school he goes too.

He's not a bad player and he has improved...it's just looking back the thought of him being a McD AA was honestly, a joke.

Probably not fair to him.

st johns is close 2 signing 2 2 star guards who could barely walk

quincy roberts and some other bum tyshawn edmondson

and it sounds like there could be a possibility of a 3rd transfer

%** this is going to be the worst off season ever

For all my Louisville fans Derrick Caracter is trying to come back to the team but Pitino is not having it.

April 23, 2008

Howie Lindsey
Special to CardinalSports.com

Talk about it in The Collision Course
The hottest topic in the city of Louisville sports scene right now is the roster at the University of Louisville.

Who is coming in? Who is staying? And who wants to come back? Rick Pitino spoke with the media Wednesday to address EarlClark's return to the team and the possibility of Derrick Caracter returning to the lineup.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino confirmed Caracter was in classes and hadn't hired an agent.
Pitino said he was very pleased with Clark's return to Louisville for his junior season after a brief flirtation withthe NBA Draft, and mentioned that Clark's return was a wise business move for Clark.

Clark's sophomore running mate - and best friend - Derrick Caracter was a different story. Pitino said Caracter toldhim early on that his sophomore season would be his last season in Louisville.

Pitino, who said Caracter had been "a thorn in my side all season", said Caracter wants to return to theCardinal lineup, but that it would not be in Caracter's best interest.

"I doubt it (if he'll come back). We stand in the same place that we were," Pitino said. "That (comingback) is not in his best interest. His best interest is to procede forward with his plan of trying to become a second round draft pick and try to make it atthe next level."

Pitino said Derrick was not invited to the professional combine in Orlando - the most active proving ground for top draftpicks - and that Derrick would have to prove himself in a series of three-person mini-camps with NBA teams.

"The most important thing for him is to get into those camps and find out where he is at as a basketballplayer," Pitino said, noting that it may be a humbling experience. "That will give him a good measuring stick of his abilities versus other playerswho are all very hungry to try and make it."

Pitino was asked Wednesday if Caracter had asked to come back to the UofL team.

"Yeah, he has," Pitino said. "But that is not in the cards for him. That is not in his best interest aswell our best interest.

"Our best interest and his best interest right now is for him to try and pursue being a second round draft pick. Toomuch has happened for him to turn around now and try to go back."

Pitino said Derrick believed that he was better than Padgett or at least as good and that the only reason he didn'tplay more is because Padgett was a senior.

"But that wasn't the case at all," Pitino noted.

Pitino confirmed that Derrick was on UofL's campus and was taking classes and hadn't hired an agent, but that justthose things alone wouldn't be enough to convince the rest of the team that he's really committed to being a part of the team because of his actions inthe previous two seasons.

When asked if after Derrick gets a dose of humility after the NBA camps, if he could return to UofL, Pitino said,"No, but he thinks he can. Judging by the text messages he sends me everyday he thinks I'm a softie." Then Pitino laughed at the notion that hewas a softie.

I do like Derrick but this might be the best think for the team not for Derrick.

Say he stays in the draft....doesnt get drafted...doesnt hire an agent...he's still eligible right?

but if he can't get back into college what would be the point of being elligible

he might as well sign an agent not get drafted and go to europe

Back
Top Bottom