College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

maybe University of Detroit Mercy, his hometown.
IU is fallen on hard times, word to Britney Spears, but it can't be THAT bad where you transfer OUT of D1, especially when Crawford waskillin' a bit last year.

Crean is gettin' paid millions to coach the IU intramural allstars
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by I Wear Sneakers

Doneal Mack transferring from Memphis ...

Charlotte Boy.....704 in the Building
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But son is the definition of a gunner. All he wanna so is shoot, shoot, shoot

[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [h1]Unhappy with playing time, Mack leaving Tigers[/h1] [/td] [td]
Story Highlights
  • Guard Doneal Mack has two season of eligibility remaining
  • He averaged 12.5 minutes per game for the Tigers last year
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Guard Doneal Mack wants more playing time than he's receiving with the Memphis Tigers, and his father says his son will be transferring once he receives his release.

The Commercial Appeal reported on its Web site Thursday that the 6-foot-5 guard feels it's time to move on. Greg Mack told the newspaper that they believe it's time to go now with two seasons of eligibility remaining.

A spokesman for the men's basketball team did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages from The Associated Press.

Mack averaged 12.5 minutes during the Tigers' run to the national championship game. From Charlotte, N.C., he originally signed with Florida but was denied admission and signed with Memphis late in the summer of 2006. Greg Mack listed Clemson, Wake Forest and LSU as possible schools for his son.
Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Thi
Oh great....

Yet another Guard for Wake.

Hope he goes to LSU

UF could've used Mack's shooting last year. I wish Mack's scholarship wasn't given to Dan Werner.
Mack was just saying in an interview that Memphis could get back to the final four this year, he seemed pretty happy in the article, I'm sure Tyreke wouldstart over him and he wouldn't get much PT next year either.
UK fans any word on DeAndre Liggins, has he qualified. Also has Jared Carter had his scholarship revoked?

as a current university of memphis student, seeing mack leave is a bad thing, gonna these those off the bench threes. sad thing is if we had made somefreethrows, he'd be staying

Lol, this is just after Mack had an interview with Rivals stating how he thought they were still Title contenders for this year..

And doesn't he realize he'll get more PT now with no Rose and CDR??

Sounds like Lance may be open to staying home.
Do it Mitch!!!
[h2]Lance Has Final Four[/h2]
Posted by Adam Zagoria at 6/14/2008 12:43 AM and is filed under Recruiting,St. John's [img]http://blog.zagsblog.net/ThemeFiles/8\4\2\7\1\125619-117248\/images/printicon.gif[/img]

The first Big Storyline out of the Rumble in the Bronx is this: Lance Stephenson's father hasadded St. John's to his son's list of potential colleges.

Four schools are currently in contention for the services of the 6-foot-5 Stephenson, the No. 7 overall player and No. 2 shootingguard in the Class of 2009.

"Right now we're down to Kansas, UCLA and USC," Stephenson Sr. said after his summer team, Raising Champions, blew a 21-point lead and wasupset by the Central Jersey Hawks, 66-64, in their first game at Fordham University. "St. John's, too. St. John's came on late after the team campthat they had last week. Lance liked what he saw there, so that's kind of the new team.

"We're trying to narrow it down at this point, so I would say that's about it."

I had previously repored that Kentucky was in the mix instead of USC, but Stephenson Sr. said that was not the case. Still, Lance said the list isfluid.

"It's a good tradition, good coach. I just want to be surrounded by good players and that's what these schools got," said Stephenson, whotallied 12 points in the loss, missing two potential go-ahead free throws with 5 seconds remaining.

"I'm looking forward to other schools, too. I love these schools, but I'm looking at other schools, too."

Stephenson will participate in the Steve Nash Nike Skills Academy in Union, N.J. in late June in order to develop his point guard skillsbefore heading to Washington, D.C. for the U18 national team tryouts July 1-3.

"He's been working out hard," said his father, who launched the Raising Champions team this summer, triggering Lance's departure from theJuice All-Stars.

"I just hope I don't mess up, me coaching him," Lance Sr. said. "We got two losses now (including one in Arkansas). That's either meor...The first game is always tough.

"I think tonight this definitely was a coach's loss, so I learned a lesson today. Hopefully we finish up strong the rest of the way."

Stephenson has already visited three of the four schools on his list, with Kansas being the exception.

During his visit to USC last fall, Stephenson visited with O.J. Mayo, who recently was accused by ESPN of taking cash and gifts inexchange for ultimately picking Bill Duffy Associates as his agent. Mayo is projected to go in the top 6 or 7 in the June 26 NBA Draft.

"He had a good visit with them," the father said. "Coach (Tim Floyd) really likes Lance a lot. He talks about how he'sbeen in the NBA and he's a good coach to develop guards, and his offense is geared for his two guards to score a lot."

Stephenson Sr. said a family attorney, Albert Ebanks, was advising the family, and that he had no concerns about his son meeting the samefate as Mayo.

"We have a strong family on both sides that help us," he said. "We don't entertain it, so nobody's come up to us. We don't havethose problems. When we're in Coney Island, everything is like a normal teengaer. We don't have those temptations. Right now it's just aboutplaying.

"The people that fall into that temptation, I think wanted to do it. I'm about doing things the right way."

As for the other schools on the list, Stephenson Sr. praised St. John's head coach Norm Roberts.

"I know it has been down in the past, but St. John's has a great tradition. Coach Roberts is trying, he's working hard. He's outrecruiting, trying to get some of the best caliber kids. He's working hard. With Lance working hard, I think it could definitely happen."

He also visited UCLA for the Difference Matchup tournament in early April, when Stephensonplayed with Renardo Sidney's LA Dream Team.

"And with UCLA, the last player to go to UCLA from New York City that I could remember was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar," Stephenson Sr.said. "And that's a lovely legacy for Lance to follow behind, to out to L.A., not for the glammer and the glitz, but the competition and the PAC 10.That's one of the tougher conferences.

"Coach (Ben) Howland loves New York City players."

Stephenson Sr. is also a big fan of Kansas Coach Bill Self, whose team is the defending NCAA champion.

"Coach Self is a wonderful coach," the father said. "He's a player's coach. He turned a lot of players around hat might've beenheaded in the wrong direction. He's a real disciplinarian. What I like about him is, he wants to win."

No visit has yet been set to Kansas.
"We have to get to Kansas," he said. "Maybe when the summer cools down."

I'd love to see that happen.

They and the Big East NEED that.

But, it'd be just dumb for Lance to do so..the only player worth a damn on that team is Mase JR...and he won't even be around for Lance, if he didchoose SJU.

So he'd be facing some of the best defensive teams in the country with NO help...I mean most of those kids would fight for playing time in the MAAC, forgetabout the Big East.

Not to mention, Norm Roberts can't coach and would not improve his game, at all.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I'd love to see that happen.

They and the Big East NEED that.

But, it'd be just dumb for Lance to do so..the only player worth a damn on that team is Mase JR...and he won't even be around for Lance, if he did choose SJU.

So he'd be facing some of the best defensive teams in the country with NO help...I mean most of those kids would fight for playing time in the MAAC, forget about the Big East.

Not to mention, Norm Roberts can't coach and would not improve his game, at all.

Correct about everything, except you forgot to mention Justin Burrell. He is the one player on this team that has first round NBA talent. Him and Lancewould be a phenomenal combination. Of course it will probably never happen, but there is one talented player on this team to take the pressure off ofLance.

He would also need outside coaching and what not because he won't learn that here.

Well,

Recent media reports suggested that Lance Stephenson had cut his list of prospective schools to three. On Friday night, Stephenson confirmed that Kansas,Kentucky, and UCLA are the three finalists.

"Yeah (it's down to those three)," said Stephenson last night at the Rumble in the Bronx at Fordham University.

He's not going to SJU, but I would love to see some excitement surrounding that program again. Lance would definitely provide that, and get a little buzzgoing for 'em, but it's not happening
tired.gif

I'm from New York but I'm a Louisville fan. But I also feel that Lance at SJU would be a good look.

UCLA gets a commit from Brendan Lane 6'9 200 pound PF. white boy also.
ohwell.gif
should of took your *%+ to duke they love those style of players.

hope we get lance

Isn't lane a top 25 player in 2009, if so a good pick up but i believe he is really skinny might be a nice compliment to Reeves physical play.

From what I hear Chase is leaning on coming back...we'll know for sure soon.

Also I'd bet on Lance going to Kansas.

Originally Posted by gatorb807

UK fans any word on DeAndre Liggins, has he qualified. Also has Jared Carter had his scholarship revoked?

Liggins was supposed to take the test again today...haven't heard anything about it, but i'm not counting on him being at UK next year. lol,Carter does need to go, he's terrible. but Mike Williams has transfered to Duquesne.
happy.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Crawfords expect UK interest in younger brother[/h3]

Might Kentucky want Jordan Crawford to transfer in from Indiana?
His mother, Sylvia Crawford, said on Friday that she'd expect UK to show interest. "I would hope they would be interested," she said.
But, first, the Crawford family and Indiana need to work out the terms of Crawford's release. In the wake of former IU Coach Kelvin Sampson's departure, Crawford decided last week to transfer from Indiana.
Indiana has not decided what, if any restrictions, it wants to place on Crawford's choice of a second college, spokesman J.D. Campbell said in an e-mail message.
So the Crawfords must wait for those details to be finalized before seriously considering Jordan's options.
"We need to get a more complete release," Mrs. Crawford said. "It's a bit of a puzzle at this stage."

When asked if Jordan Crawford would be interested in Kentucky, Mrs. Crawford noted that her middle son knows the UK program well because of older brother Joe Crawford's experiences.

"He knows about Coach (Billy) Gillispie through watching Joe play for them," Mrs. Crawford said. "I think he's a tremendous coach."

But, Mrs. Crawford noted, Jordan Crawford is old enough to "lead the process." His thinking will dictate. Jordan turns 20 on Oct. 23.

Crawford averaged 9.7 points as a freshman last season for Indiana. That marked the seventh best scoring average by any Big Ten freshman.
Crawford also averaged 25.3 minutes and made 44 percent of his shots (36.6 percent from three-point range).
One of his better games came against Kentucky. With two other guards unavailable, Crawford made his first career start and scored a team-high 20 points in leading the Hoosiers to a 70-51 victory.
Mrs. Crawford said that the family has heard through the basketball grapevine that "a number of schools" are interested in Jordan. She declined to say specifically if UK was one of those schools.
That might be a moot point if Indiana chooses not to permit a transfer to Kentucky.

Caracter on U of L: 'This is where I want to play'

There was a celebrity guest in the winner's circle picture after Curlin won the Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs today - Derrick Caracter.

What were you doing in the winner's circle, Derrick?

"I hang around with winners, man," Caracter said, with a smile.

University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino has referred to Caracter as a former Cardinal player since the end of last season. Pitino has said repeatedly that Caracter will not be back for his junior season with U of L next fall. Pitino has said Caracter is academically ineligible and that he has given Caracter's scholarship to senior guard Will Scott.

Dressed in a polo shirt, jeans and a pair of bright green sneakers, Caracter said that he still wants to play for Louisville with fellow juniors Earl Clark, Jerry Smith and Edgar Sosa next season. He signed several autographs and waved at fans who screamed, "We want you back, DC. We need you, DC."

Caracter said he was enrolled in summer school and taking two classes this session.

"I'm already eligible," he said. "This is where I want to be. This is where I want to play. I took my name out of the (National Basketball Association) draft because I want to play here. I don't want to transfer.

"I'm going to talk to coach (Pitino) at the end of the month. I don't want to be anywhere else."

Do you think that Pitino will let you return to the team?

"I don't know," Caracter said. "I hope so."

Caracter averaged 8.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 35 games for Louisville last season.

Caracter seems motivated...you'd have to wonder what kind of player he'd be if he has indeed turned that corner.

Originally Posted by dfresh244

From what I hear Chase is leaning on coming back...we'll know for sure soon.

Also I'd bet on Lance going to Kansas.
[h2][/h2]
[h2]Opinion by Greg Hansen : Cat's NBA chase seems imminent[/h2]
Budinger's decision to go pro could come today, and he might land close to Tucson

Opinion by Greg Hansen

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.15.2008

advertisement

Sometime today or Monday, Chase Budinger almost certainly will announce that he will remain in the NBA draft and the Arizona Wildcats will be left with a small forward rotation of Zane Johnson and Jamelle Horne.

Not exactly Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton.

While we're doing some forecasting, here's another: The Phoenix Suns will select Budinger with the No. 15 pick in the draft. They will be drawn to him because he is a person of good character and good size with one tempting skill - perimeter shooting - who has not tapped his vast potential.

Budinger will automatically receive $1.62 million for his rookie season in the 15th slot. He will be a happy dude.

The debate that rages within the Suns office, as with all other NBA clubs, is whether Budinger will be the next Brent Barry, selected No. 15 overall out of Oregon State in 1995, or the next Shareef Abdur-Rahim, chosen No. 3 overall out of Cal in 1996.

Budinger is apt to have a career much closer to that of Barry, a designated shooter who cannot create his own shot and doesn't have enough lateral quickness to be a defensive stopper. Barry has earned $49.4 million in his NBA career, playing for five clubs. He was a starter for four of his 13 pro seasons.

Abdur-Rahim, who did have that all-important first step, allowing him to get to the bucket and create shots, has earned $94.6 million in his 12 NBA seasons.

If Budinger returns to the UA for another season, he would not be any quicker. Those brutal beach workouts he endured so diligently last summer did not make him more aggressive or a better rebounder. He is what he is.

Gone.

Looks like Memphis is trying to get Emmanuel Negedu to commit. He's visiting in town this weekend. Also, Xavier Henry (recruit from 2009) is highly soughtafter with Memphis and Kansas being his top two teams.

[h1]Sought-after U of M recruit here for visit[/h1] [h2]Memphis final stop for Nigeria native Negedu[/h2]
By Dan Wolken (Contact)
Memphis Commercial Appeal
Friday, June 13, 2008

Emmanuel Negedu is the only top-50 player in the class of 2008 who does not know where he'll play college basketball next season.

The University of Memphis hopes to make that decision a bit easier for him this weekend.

Britney McIntosh The Commerical Appeal

The Tigers are hoping Emmanuel Negedu will follow assistant coach Josh Pastner from Arizona to Memphis. The native of Nigeria is the only top-50 recruit unsigned for next season.

Negedu, a 6-6 power forward and native of Nigeria, arrived on Thursday for his final college visit after stops at Indiana, Georgia Tech and Tennessee. He said he was looking forward to seeing how Memphis stacks up against his other options.

"It's going pretty good; I get to see every school I want to go to," Negedu told reporters at Memphis International Airport. "I'm going through the process to know where I want to make my decision, to look for what I want, what I don't want, to check it out. It's going pretty good for me."

Last fall, Negedu signed with Arizona, in large part due to the efforts of assistant coach Josh Pastner. After numerous staff changes at Arizona, including Pastner's departure to Memphis, Negedu asked to be released from his letter of intent.

Arizona granted that release last month, and Memphis immediately jumped into his recruitment.

"(Arizona) is a great school, but everything changed and Josh came here," Negedu said. "We had a good relationship and everything. I'm just taking a chance, take my visit and see how it goes. After that, I'll make my decision where I want to go."

Memphis certainly could use a player like Negedu next season. With the loss of leading rebounder Joey Dorsey, physical presence in the frontcourt is the Tigers' biggest question mark next season. Negedu is a self-described banger who said he wants to play in a fast-paced system.

"I love going up and down the court," he said. "I just want to run and play hard and bring a lot of energy to the game."

Negedu, who has never been to Memphis before Thursday, said he has played at various events and camps with incoming freshmen Angel Garcia, Matt Simpkins and Tyreke Evans. Other than that, he said he doesn't know much about the Tigers' program.

"I'm just down here to see what they've got," Negedu said. "I've got my own questions to ask them. I'll go through the process, see if I like the environment, the school, academically, everything, to see how that goes."

Negedu, who played at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire the last four years, said he'll likely make a decision next week. He said playing for a contending team would be a factor in his decision.

"Memphis had a great season last year; right now, they've got to come hard every night to play because everybody comes at them," Negedu said. "Every game against Memphis is a championship game for every team. So coming down here, I know this team is a great team...I want to be on a team that wants to win because I want to win. Everybody wants to win."

[h1]Tigers' top prospect weighing all options[/h1]
By Dan Wolken (Contact)
Memphis Commercial Appeal
Sunday, June 15, 2008

Xavier Henry looked down at the machine pumping cold pressure to his right foot Saturday morning and learned he couldn't go anywhere for 24 minutes.

Henry, the smooth 6-foot-6 guard from Oklahoma City, leaned back against a wall at the Finch Center and just smiled, displaying the same patience and disposition that has characterized his entire recruiting process to this point.

Despite being hounded by questions for at least two years about where he plans on playing college basketball, the easy-going lefty said Saturday he's in no hurry to make a decision, which will have a massive impact on the 2009 recruiting efforts of several schools, including the University of Memphis.

In fact, despite several unofficial visits to both Memphis and Kansas -- Henry's top two choices to this point -- he said he plans on taking all five of his official visits before making a decision in the fall.

"I'm going to take them even if I don't need them," said Henry, ranked No. 2 among rising high school seniors by Rivals.com. "It's a way to get out there and see what's going down everywhere else."

Though the pursuit of Henry may last longer than Tigers coach John Calipari would prefer, he appears more than willing to ride it out.

For the last year, Henry has been the focal point of Memphis' 2009 recruiting efforts, in much the same way Derrick Rose was in the summer of 2006.

The difference is that while Rose made just one trip to Memphis and was fairly shielded from the public side of the recruiting process, Henry and his father Carl Henry are already familiar faces around the Tigers' program.

The Henrys' relationship with Calipari goes all the way back to his days as an assistant at Kansas, when Carl Henry was a player there. Because of that bond, Xavier Henry first popped up here at Memphis Madness two years ago. He showed up at the same event last season and has been through town a couple times for tournaments. In January, he made the 100-mile drive to Tulsa to watch the Tigers play there.

This weekend, he's in Memphis again for Calipari's elite camp, which was designed more or less to get Henry and some other top prospects on campus. The fact that Henry has had to sit out most of it after coming down awkwardly on his right foot Friday night hardly matters.

More significant was getting Henry back to Memphis to meet with the new coaching staff, which now includes assistants Josh Pastner and Orlando Antigua.

"I like the new staff," Henry said. "I liked the old staff a lot too. D.K. (former assistant Derek Kellogg) was everybody's man. Great guy. And then Chuck Martin was a nice guy also, but the new guys they brought in are the perfect new guys you could have.

"It's a good tradeoff. If you had to get two people, those are the two right people."

It was especially important to get Henry on campus after he was at Kansas last weekend for Bill Self's elite camp, which pretty nicely sets up where Henry's recruitment stands right now: Memphis and Kansas fighting over him in a race every bit as close as their overtime meeting in the national championship game.

"I'm not really tired of (getting asked about) it," Henry said. "I just answer how I always answer. I don't know yet. I really don't know. It was great up there; I like Kansas a lot. And I like Memphis a lot too."

Surprisingly, Henry said there hasn't been much family pressure on him to go to Kansas, despite the fact that both parents played there.

"They don't care," he said. "They just want me to go somewhere where it's basketball-oriented and can get me where I want to go."

Henry has missed some time on the summer circuit with a stress fracture in his foot, an injury that flared up a bit during some drills Friday night.

Even without him, Memphis hosted several talented players over the weekend including Nolan Dennis (a top-50 guard from Dallas), Tommy Mason-Griffin (a top-75 guard from Houston) and Glenn Bryant (a top-100 small forward from Detroit via Oak Hill Academy).

"I'm liking Memphis," said Bryant, who is also looking at Syracuse, Florida, Michigan and Marquette. "I like their style of play. It fits in with what I do -- run and gun."

Another player who has stood out -- for his Joey Dorsey-type body, if nothing else -- is Will Coleman, a 6-8 power forward from Miami-Dade Junior College.

While the Tigers were entertaining future recruits, they were also finishing up Saturday with forward Emmanuel Negedu and beginning an official visit with junior college guard Roburt Sallie, two players they are hoping to add for next season.

The Tigers lose one in Mack, but keep getting in more recruits. Losing Mack won't hurt that much, especially if they're able to bring inthe Nigerian.

I'm not saying the kid isn't a good player..

But, man....kids who decide late, change schools, etc....become drastically overrated and made out to be saviors.

Back
Top Bottom