College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

wildKYcat,

The Big Xii-Pac 10 Hardwood Classic has the same games as last year, but the games are return games. The only two I can remember off the top of my head areUCLA at Texas and Arizona at TAMU. I'm pretty sure Stanford and Colorado play, I just don't remember where. I'll post up a full schedule when I gethome, I can't do it on my phone.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ Easily?

I should change that I don't think they will win easily but I will not be surprised if they come out on top at the end of the day.

If not them then I have to go with Mich St

Here's the Big Xii-Pac 10 matchups for this year:

Saturday, November 29
Colorado @ Stanford

Thursday, December 4
USC @ Oklahoma
Oklahoma State @ Washington
UCLA @ Texas

Friday, December 5
Arizona @ Texas A&M

Saturday, December 6
Baylor @ Washington State
Oregon State @ Iowa State

Sunday, December 7
Kansas State @ Oregon
Nebraska @ Arizona State
California @ Missouri

Tuesday, December 23
Kansas @ Arizona

Sunday, December 28
Texas Tech @ Stanford

Brandon Jennings going overseas could set a trend in the very near future. make a quick quarter mil and head to the nba ftw. You just cant force an adult to goto college.

dont know if this was posted....

Jennings considering playing in Europe instead of college

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 20, 2008, 3:13 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Brandon Jennings, who signed a letter of intent to play at Arizona, is looking at the unprecedented option of playing overseas next season to get ready for the2009 NBA draft if he's not eligible to play for the Wildcats next season.

Jennings told ESPN.com that he is exploring the possibility of a professional basketball career. Jennings' mother, Alice Knox, has retained an attorney,Jeffrey Valle, to help look into the possibility that Jennings could play professionally in Europe while he waits to become eligible for the 2009 NBA draft.

Jennings, who is from the Los Angeles area but played the last two seasons at Oak Hill Academy (Va.), turns 19 on Sept. 23 and would need to spend one year outof high school and be 19 to be eligible for the 2009 draft.

The 6-2 Jennings is rated as the top point guard in the class of 2008 by ESPN.com. Jennings scored 12 points, had nine assists and six turnovers in theMcDonald's All-American game in Milwaukee March 26.

"It's something I'm considering now," Jennings said. "I still want to go to Arizona but if things don't go right, I'mconsidering going overseas."

Jennings said he will get his standardized test results back next Thursday. This is the third time he has taken a standardized test. Jennings said he wasred-flagged for a jump in his score from the first to the second test. He said he didn't know his scores.

"The first time I took it I didn't try, the second time I did so I had to take it a third time," Jennings said.

Arizona assistant coach Mike Dunlap said Friday that the staff was well aware that Jennings was looking into playing overseas.

"He's creating an option if things fall apart," Dunlap said. "I get that."

But Jennings is slated to be in Tucson on Monday to start summer school. He has been admitted to the institution. It's unclear what kind of affect havinghim on campus would have on Jennings' decision -- assuming he shows up.

Jennings has been staying with New Jersey Nets point guard Marcus Williams while playing in a summer league in the area in the tri-state area. He is closefriends with Williams' father, Kelly, who is from Los Angeles as well.

Jennings said the professional players he has played with both in the New York-New Jersey area and back in Southern California told him he could compete withplayers overseas.

"Mentally I know I can play in the NBA, but physically is where it would hit me," Jennings said.

Jennings and his mother said that Jennings probably would have declared for the NBA draft had the new rule not been put in place two seasons ago (requiring aplayer to be one year out of school and at least 19 in the calendar year of the draft).

Jennings originally committed to USC before changing his commitment to Arizona. He said that had coach Lute Olson not returned from a year-long absence, thenhe wouldn't even have considered playing for the Wildcats.

Jennings said that with rising junior forward Chase Budinger deciding to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to school, the Wildcats would have a chance tobe an elite team next season.

Jennings would be the lead guard next to experienced players Nic Wise, Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill in the post, making Arizona a potential top 25 team.

"Either [option] is good for me," Jennings said. "I just think I would develop more if I went overseas and I would have played pro ball for ayear. But if I went to Arizona we would have a good team because Chase is coming back."

Valle said that the family is looking at all of the pros and cons and is trying to get a pulse on the interest from an international team. Valle said Jenningsdoesn't have an agent.

"It's an alternative approach," said Valle, a L.A.-based family attorney. "It makes sense. We're trying to get the eligibility issuessorted out. The main thing is that he's considering doing something different."

Jennings and Knox both cited renowned grassroots basketball creator Sonny Vaccaro's insistence that going overseas should be a viable option to combat thenew draft rule for high school seniors talented enough to play in the NBA but prevented to do so for at least a year.

Reached Friday, Vaccaro said he hasn't advised Jennings. But when told Jennings was considering the option, he said, "It makes sense. It's one ofthe smartest things I've heard. It's a viable thing. I have personally spoken to teams internationally in Europe, Asia and Africa who are interested inthis [taking high school graduates]."

Vaccaro said that high school graduates weren't ready to make the jump overseas the past two classes (2006 and 2007 high school seniors) because the NBAdraft rule was so new. But now he said they are catching up and the "kids know it's a business. They see this as an option to work, a viableoption."

But making this happen for Jennings is still a tough chore. Multiple NBA executives told ESPN.com Friday that in order for a high school senior to get a truepicture of which teams were interested, then he would have to sign with an agent who is connected with overseas teams.

The NBA executives said that teams in Europe aren't designed to just sign up an 18-year-old American. They have junior programs where younger players gothrough a system to get to the primary club team. But if an agent were working for Jennings, then they might be able to secure a deal, although playing timemight be an issue.

The other option for Jennings if he's ineligible for Arizona is to go to the NBA D-League. He would be eligible because he's a high school graduate,but he wouldn't be able to get called up to an NBA roster.

He would be able to play in the D-League and then go through the 2009 NBA draft. Former Iowa State guard Mike Taylor took that route after he was dismissedfrom school. He is eligible for the draft next week.

The problem with Jennings playing in the D-League, according to a number of NBA sources, is that he would be a potential target for players who would look atembarrassing Jennings as a way to increase their stock. The D-League is filled with players trying to make a living, and one source said it could get rough forJennings.

Knox reiterated that her son has no issue traveling the globe. She said that she has consulted with a number of former coaches for Jennings and the move wasendorsed.

"Brandon mentioned players like Tony Parker and Jose Calderon, point guards he admires who developed their game overseas and had no college," Knoxsaid. "Brandon's main goal is that he wants to play professional basketball to take care of his family."

"The reason why I would consider going overseas is to play pro ball for year and develop," Jennings said. "I just want to be ready next year[for the draft] and come out and show I don't have any weaknesses."

Jennings said that if he were eligible at Arizona he would probably play only one season -- a season that the Wildcats were counting on, with Jennings to helpoffset the loss of freshman Jerryd Bayless.

If Jennings does choose Europe, then he would be a trend-setter, although it's too early to say if he would have any followers.

"And I hope to know what I'm doing by July," Jennings said. "I want to get this story out, get some feedback and know what's out therefor me before I make my decision."

Yeah....

Just like I thought, there's no guarantee that he's coming to Zona...

Boy ain't even going to class after November if he actually goes there....

But, he's in an crazy position and it will be interesting to see what he does...

Screw it I say just go to Europe and get it over with. He hates school, he wantrs to get paid head to Europe. I just hope he doesn't start a trend.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Screw it I say just go to Europe and get it over with. He hates school, he wantrs to get paid head to Europe. I just hope he doesn't start a trend.

I hope he does.
!%%# the NCAA for exploiting kids. !%%# Stern for being in with the NCAA to make that rule.

They (the NCAA) make so much money off of kids and they get nothing. Stern tries to keep people from making a living.

I hope Brandon goes overseas and kills and is a top 5 pick in next years draft.....then Renardo Sidney does the same....

I been saying this #%!+ for the longest....

You cannot FORCE these dudes to go to school. I hope he goes too.

Originally Posted by bballah3

I hope he does.
!%%# the NCAA for exploiting kids. !%%# Stern for being in with the NCAA to make that rule.

They (the NCAA) make so much money off of kids and they get nothing. Stern tries to keep people from making a living.

you say some of the dumbest +!$@ sometimes, and this is one of those times.

laugh.gif

,...I said when the rule was placed someone kid at somepoint would head overseas. This might be it.

That kid is a clown. Can't stand him. He can stay over there for his career.

Butler didn't waste any time. In the days following the Bulldogs' NCAA tournament loss to Tennessee in March, players returned to Hinkle Fieldhouseand found, "that we had already painted in the new [three-point] line," said coach Brad Stevens. "We wanted to get themadjusted to it as soon as possible." The same transformation has happened this offseason on gym floors across America, as college teams prepare for theexpansion of the NCAA's arc from 19 feet, nine inches to 20 feet, nine inches, but the move may matter more at Butler, which relied on the three for ahigher percentage of its points (40.
glasses.gif
last season than any other NCAA tournament team. How much the Bulldogs' livelihood will be affected -- and how muchimpact the longer trey has across the board -- will be the most closely monitored trend of 2008-09.

What not to expect from the one-foot rule is a revolution. As changes go, the 19-9 to 20-9 jump pales in comparison to the addition of the arcitself (in 1986-87), the repeal of the dunking ban ('76-77), or the institution of the NBA's 19-year-old age limit (in '06-07). Those created eras.The impact of this change will be more subtle. Here are four ways it could affect next season:

1. Mid-Majors Will Be Hit The Hardest.

In the narrow context of upsets -- particularly in NCAA-tournament opening-round games -- the three has long been considered the Great Equalizer for Davidagainst Goliath. But have we considered how many of the nation's best mid-majors take a season-long approach that's focused on the three-pointer?

Of the 65 teams in last year's NCAA tournament field, these 10 relied on treys for the highest percentage of their points across the entire season:
[table][tr][td]Highest Reliance on Three-Pointers / NCAA tournament teams (National Rank in parentheses. Data from kenpom.com)[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]%3pt(Rk.)[/td] [td]%2pt(Rk.)[/td] [td]%FT(Rk.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]1. Butler[/td] [td]40.9 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]39.1 (336)[/td] [td]20.0 (185)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2. Belmont[/td] [td]39.5 (12)[/td] [td]42.4 (323)[/td] [td]18.1 (273)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3. Drake[/td] [td]38.4 (19)[/td] [td]41.2 (330)[/td] [td]20.4 (161)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4. Portland St.[/td] [td]36.8 (29)[/td] [td]44.7 (305)[/td] [td]18.6 (255)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5. American[/td] [td]36.4 (35)[/td] [td]40.9 (332)[/td] [td]22.6 (55)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6. Davidson[/td] [td]34.4 (47)[/td] [td]50.7 (179)[/td] [td]15.0 (336)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7. Oregon[/td] [td]34.2 (50)[/td] [td]47.3 (273)[/td] [td]18.6 (254)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8. Georgetown[/td] [td]34.1 (54)[/td] [td]49.5 (212)[/td] [td]16.4 (319)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9. Vanderbilt[/td] [td]33.4 (64)[/td] [td]45.9 (298)[/td] [td]20.7 (146)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10. BYU[/td] [td]33.1 (66)[/td] [td]48.1 (251)[/td] [td]18.7 (248)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
The top six in the chart above is essentially a collection of many of the nation's best mid-majors. Such a three-point-centric approach makes sense --size is a scarce commodity that tends to be snatched up by powerhouses, and the smartest little guys often stay competitive on a national level by buildingcollections of shooters who were undervalued on the recruiting trail. At times last season Butler put a lineup of five three-point threats -- seniorsJulian Betko, Pete Campbell, A.J. Graves, Mike Green and Drew Streicher --on the floor and patiently waited for its best look from beyond the arc.

None of these teams are going to abandon the three. As Stevens said, "the really good shooters, who were already making 40 percent, will still be ableto make them." But with coaches likely to be more judicious about which players are green-lighted, can a scoring model with more than 35 percent of pointscoming on treys still be effective over the long-term?

2. The Two Main National Title Contenders are Insulated.

As if North Carolina really needed more of an advantage after having Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, WayneEllington and Danny Green stay out of the NBA draft, the Heels happen to be the team best-built to take advantage of the new line. Itwas no surprise that when the three-point expansion was announced in 2007, coach Roy Williams said that he was "certainly glad thecommittee did not widen the lane along with moving the three-point line" -- because his offense is overwhelmingly centered on getting the ball into thelane, while keeping the floor spaced with the threat of shooters such as Ellington and Green.

Despite having gunners in its backcourt, Carolina scored a lower percentage of its points from beyond the arc than any other NCAA tournament team lastseason. Just 18.8 percent of the Heels' points came on threes, while 59.9 percent came on twos and 21.4 came from the free-throw line. This is what happenswhen you have the frequently unstoppable Hansbrough camping out in the paint, and the speedy Lawson pushing toward the hoop on the break.

Below are the 10 NCAA tournament teams, beginning with UNC, who relied on the three the least in '08-09:
[table][tr][td]Lowest Reliance on Three-Pointers / NCAA tournament teams (National Rank in parentheses. Data from kenpom.com)[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]%3pt (Rk.)[/td] [td]%2pt (Rk.)[/td] [td]%FT (Rk.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1. North Carolina[/td] [td]18.8 (337)[/td] [td]59.9 (5)[/td] [td]21.4 (99)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2. UConn[/td] [td]19.7 (336)[/td] [td]54.8 (75)[/td] [td]25.5 (5)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3. Coppin St.[/td] [td]20.7 (330)[/td] [td]56.2 (42)[/td] [td]23.1 (36)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4. Michigan St.[/td] [td]20.9 (327)[/td] [td]60.1 (4)[/td] [td]19.0 (234)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5. UCLA[/td] [td]21.8 (321)[/td] [td]57.3 (22)[/td] [td]20.8 (139)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6. San Diego[/td] [td]22.1 (318)[/td] [td]58.4 (10)[/td] [td]19.5 (212)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7. Miss. Valley St.[/td] [td]22.4 (313)[/td] [td]53.9 (99)[/td] [td]23.7 (20)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8. Stanford[/td] [td]23.4 (299)[/td] [td]55.0 (63)[/td] [td]21.6 (84)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9. Arkansas[/td] [td]23.9 (286)[/td] [td]56.2 (40)[/td] [td]19.8 (195)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10. USC[/td] [td]24.2 (278)[/td] [td]55.9 (48)[/td] [td]19.9 (189)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
The No. 2 team on the list above, UConn, is likely to be the No. 2 team behind Carolina in most preseason polls. The Huskies are built in similar fashion,in that guards A.J. Price and Jerome Dyson need to be guarded beyond the arc -- but they would much rather score viapenetration or feeds to big men Jeff Adrien and Hasheem Thabeet. Doubling-down on that duo will only be more difficult withthe new three-point line. The rich keep getting richer.

3. There's Now More Space For Low-Percentage Two-Point Attempts -- and Defenses That Force the Most of These Will Thrive.

In a study published on Basketball Prospectus in February, Ken Pomeroy analyzed shot distance, frequency and accuracy from nearly4,000 games over the previous five seasons. The two key things to take away from his findings: That there's significantly less accuracy on twos takenbeyond five feet than there is on close threes; and that, to quote Ken, "Teams taking mid-range shots -- especially early in the shot clock -- are justmaking life easy for the defense more often than not."

The teams that already understand how to take away threes and force twos without fouling -- suggesting that many of those twos are taken in the mid-range,rather than the paint -- are probably best-suited to use the extra space to their advantage. The two best examples are Duke and UCLA, both of whom ranked below250th in both percentage of threes and free-throws allowed last season. (As a result, Duke finished ninth nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, and UCLAfinished third.) The key question for both of them this season will be whether the extra foot that their defenses extend on the perimeter opens up too manyeasy scoring chances in the paint. If they can limit the damage and stick to their old strategy, they should thrive.

Here are the 10 NCAA tournament teams from last season that allowed the lowest percentage of their points on treys:
[table][tr][td]Lowest Percentage of Points Allowed on Threes / NCAA tournament teams (National Rank in parentheses. Data from kenpom.com)[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]%3pt (Rk.)[/td] [td]%2pt (Rk.)[/td] [td]%FT (Rk.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Duke[/td] [td]21.2 (337)[/td] [td]60.4 (2)[/td] [td]18.4 (257)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]St. Mary's[/td] [td]21.4 (336)[/td] [td]59.3 (4)[/td] [td]19.3 (213)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Clemson[/td] [td]21.7 (333)[/td] [td]58.2 (6)[/td] [td]20.1 (180)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Marquette[/td] [td]23.5 (318)[/td] [td]53.4 (92)[/td] [td]23.1 (50)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Memphis[/td] [td]24.0 (314)[/td] [td]56.1 (25)[/td] [td]19.9 (189)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Miss. Valley St.[/td] [td]24.1 (312)[/td] [td]56.3 (20)[/td] [td]19.6 (199)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mount St. Mary's[/td] [td]24.3 (307)[/td] [td]53.7 (82)[/td] [td]22.0 (86)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]24.5 (301)[/td] [td]57.4 (10)[/td] [td]18.0 (264)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]UCLA[/td] [td]24.6 (299)[/td] [td]59.6 (3)[/td] [td]15.8 (323)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Western Ky.[/td] [td]24.7 (298)[/td] [td]48.7 (245)[/td] [td]26.6 (3)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
4. Marginal Shooters Won't Command Much Respect.

Stevens said he thinks the "average" three-point shooter -- presumably who hits them at a low-30s clip, and may have been green-lighted at 19-9 --might see the biggest drop-off, or be cut off from shooting threes altogether. So it makes sense to look at which good teams from last season weren'tphenomenal marksmen from long distance; will these teams' marginal shooting abilities become too big of a liability with the new line?

Of NCAA tournament teams from '08-09, these were the worst 10 at shooting treys:

Coppin State (32.0 percent)
Kansas State (32.0)
Georgia (33.2)
UNLV (33.2)
Mississippi State (33.4)
San Diego (33.7)
Pittsburgh (33.
glasses.gif

Arkansas (34.1)
Mississippi Valley State (34.2)
Texas-Arlington (34.6)

Kansas State, which didn't have a three-point shooter above 32 percent -- other than the since-departed Michael Beasley -- in itsrotation, might be in trouble next season. But the most interesting case study will be at Pittsburgh, which was seventh-worst on that list. Last season,defenses were kept honest by the shooting of junior Sam Young (38.3 percent, 44 threes) and seniors Ronald Ramon (37.2percent, 67 threes) and Keith Benjamin (37.0 percent, 51 threes). The Panthers' overall percentage was dragged down by the abysmal aim ofpoint guard Levance Fields (27.7 percent, 28 threes) and Gilbert Brown (24.4 percent, 19 threes) -- both of whom will likelybe in the starting lineup now that Ramon and Benjamin are gone.

If defenses sag down against Fields' penetration, and use help to double super-sophomore DeJuan Blair in the post, can Pitt make thempay? The Panthers are finding their way into plenty of preseason top 10s, but they won't be a contender without being able to pose some semblance of athreat from beyond 20-9.

Questions, questions, questions. That's all Doron Lamb heard last week at the Rumble in the Bronx.

Truth be told, the class of 2010 guard from New York didn't have many answers. Truth be told, he just doesn't know the answers either.

[table][tr][td]
DORONLAMB4_14200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]All of New York wants to know what high school will Doron Lamb play at in the fall.[/td] [/tr][/table]"Where are you going to high school next year?" That was asked several different ways by several different people. It hasbeen rumored that Lamb would be leaving Bishop Louglin High School for Oak Hill Academy.

Lamb's answer was: "I don't know right now. I don't know right now."

Time and time again. That was his answer. Lamb said he is currently enrolled at Bishop Loughlin but will do whatever his mother wants him to do.

"It's her decision. Whatever my mom says is what I'll do," Lamb simply said.

Recruiting is in the same boat for the shooting guard. Lamb said he isn't spending time thinking about where he'll go for college but he'slistening to those that want to reach out so far.

St. John's, Syracuse, Georgetown, Duke, Xavier, Rutgers, Marquette, Kansas, Pittsburgh, Memphis and Louisville are showing interest. The only realrevelation Lamb offered up last weekend was what school he thought highly of.

"My dream school is Syracuse. I like Carmelo Anthony," Lamb said.

For the meantime, his focuses aren't on making decisions about where he'll sit behind a desk or where he'll crack open a book at.

"I don't think about that right now. I'm focusing on my high school career," Lamb said.

Obviously the kid has never actually been to Syracuse
sick.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Indiana Will Suck. http://www.boiledsports.com/2008/06/indiana-will-suck.html[/h3]
http://www.boiledsports.com/2008/06/indiana-will-suck.html

http://www.boiledsports.com/2008/06/indiana-will-suck.html
Don't put that on the internet!

That's not me talking, it's ex-Purdue assistant coach, and current Illinois head coach, Bruce Weber when asked about the Big Ten race later this fall. His exact quote is:
"The league should be wide open and we can be right in the middle of it. I do know one thing, though. I think Indiana will suck. Don't put that on the Internet."

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

I hope he does.

I don't see how what I said is wrong or dumb....please inform me on how you don't think that the NCAA exploits kids
laugh.gif

Jennings would be dumb to go to Europe IMO. You know dude LIVES off of attention/exposure and he's not going to get much of either in Europe.

If he qualifies, which I have assumed at this point, then I'll place a hefty wager that he ends up going to Arizona.

If he was the first kid to go overseas like this...he'd end up receiving that attention he craves.

it works both ways, kids use these schools as well. "exploiting kids"
laugh.gif

Stern keeping people from making a living? MAKING A LIVING? f outta here. it's a privilege to play in the NBA.

big deal, these kids have to go to school for a semester, cry me a river.

BJ wants to go to Europe? good, adios, see ya. sucks for Zona, though, which breaks my heart. college basketball won't skip a beat if dudes follow.

The more I think about it, I'm 98% sure he will be in an Arizona uniform.� It's a good back up plan but like I said there is no way BJ going to turndown the national exposure/competition here.

With that being said let's all watch this video...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

After two seasons of freshman-filled frenzy, the 2008-09 season looks like a throwback to the 1990s, when the nation's best players were seniors.

The Class of '09 is certainly noteworthy for its combined skills. There's a returning national player of the year, a number of leading men from thisseason's Final Four and a plethora of big-time scorers. There is a surprising number of quality bigs and, perhaps more important in a year when the 3-pointline is moving a foot farther out, a host of experienced guards who know how to orchestrate.

Somehow, this class stayed together in an age that the phrases "NBA-caliber" and "college senior" have become almost mutually exclusive.Injuries, draft question marks and a simple love of college have combined to create a class with breadth, depth and quality.

Here's a look at some of the different senior stories that will resonate throughout the upcoming season:
[h2]The face of the game[/h2]

[+] Enlarge

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Tyler Hansbrough is the first Naismith Award winner to return to school since Ralph Sampson in 1982-83.
Come November, Tyler Hansbrough will be the nation's most-hyped senior savefor John McCain. The defending Naismith Award winner will be the first to return to school since Virginia's Ralph Sampson in 1982-83, and he is arguablythe best player to return for his senior season since Wake Forest's Tim Duncan did for 1996-97. Simply put, players like Hansbrough don't spend fouryears on campus anymore.
But although being the de facto face of college basketball might seem like enough to at least consider shunning first-round NBA draft status and theguaranteed millions that come with it, Hansbrough's decision to return to Chapel Hill was the result of more time-honored (and, in this era, archaic)thinking.

"I really enjoy going to school and being around my teammates, so it wasn't necessary for me to leave, and I didn't feel like I needed anybodyor anything," Hansbrough said. "I love the situation here. It's going to be tough to beat that, so I figure I can wait one more year and improveon a lot of different things and hopefully be in a better situation next year for when I do have to go."

Disarmingly self-aware for a guy who averaged 22.6 points and 10.2 rebounds a game, Hansbrough explained that he wants to continue to extend the range onthe face-up jumper he started to show last season. He also wants to work on improving his passing, defensive footwork and shot-blocking presence. At thecollege level, this is like nitpicking a brushstroke on a masterpiece, but it makes sense for his pro hopes.

Hansbrough is also driven for one more chance at team glory after Carolina suffered disappointing regional final and Final Four losses the past two seasons.To that end, he received big news on Monday when running mates Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green all withdrew from the NBA draft and announced they'll return for the upcomingseason. With virtually everyone back, the Tar Heels should be the strong preseason favorite to win it all.

Before his teammates made their final draft decisions, Hansbrough laughed at suggestions that he was Carolina's version of Corey Brewer, whoorchestrated the surprising return of Florida's core for another national title run in 2006-07. That the Heels will now face that same type oftitle-or-bust pressure, though, should suit Hansbrough just fine. Although winning the Naismith Award again would be a historic accomplishment, it's notwhy he came back.

"It seems like, at the end, no matter what individual award that you win, there's always that dissatisfying feeling at the end when you don'twin the whole thing," he said. "… A lot of people would say, 'What else do you have to accomplish?' For me, I've always wanted to win anational championship."
[h2]The path to redemption[/h2]

[+] Enlarge

(AP Photo/Darron Cummings

A.J. Price returned to form last season but hit yet another snag when he tore his ACL in UConn's season-ending loss.
As A.J. Price goes through day after day of repetitive rehab to help mend thetorn ACL he suffered in UConn's first-round NCAA upset loss to San Diego, you could forgive him if he were to channel the spirit of Dante Hicks, the leadcharacter from the classic 1994 film "Clerks," and to think, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
Four years ago, the odds were far greater that Price would be nearing his third season in the NBA at this point. Instead, he didn't even get on thecourt until his third year in Storrs. A brain hemorrhage cost him his first season; involvement in a laptop theft his second. Then, after a rusty andinconsistent debut season in 2006-07, Price finally started to shine last season as he led the Huskies to a 24-9 record before shredding his knee. Now, insteadof already having millions in the bank and living the NBA life, he spends his days launching a handful of flat-footed shots and taking cues from Kalana Greeneand Mel Thomas, two UConn women's players who also tore their ACLs and are a bit ahead of him in the healing process.

It's not exactly how Price envisioned things would go, but he seems to have come to terms with the path he's taken.

"Earlier, as [the brain ailment] happened, it was very difficult [to be away from the game]. I think that led to a lot of other problems," hesaid, treading gently around his legal woes. "After maturing and growing up, the time off has really helped me. It's opened my eyes to a lot ofdifferent avenues and made me the person I am today."

It's easier for Price to have that attitude after his solid 2007-08 campaign. After the Huskies went a disappointing 17-14 in the 2006-07 season, UConnhead coach Jim Calhoun fixed a solid portion of the blame on the team's inconsistent point guard play. That basically was a finger pointed right at Price,who was going through significant self-doubt as well.

"I absolutely felt like [Calhoun] wasn't sure anymore," Price said. "At one point, I did feel like that. Yeah, he's the coach andhe's going to try to keep my spirits high, tell me what I need to hear. But it wasn't transferring on the court, so it made things kind of cloudy.Things just weren't clear for me at that time."

Things cleared up nicely last season when Price averaged 14.5 points and a team-best 5.8 assists a game, but they might get a little fuzzier again thisseason. The arrival of heralded freshman point guard Kemba Walker likelymeans Price will spend some time playing off the ball, even though his pro future clearly is at the 1. For Price, though, that's OK. He feels fortunate tohave the chance to help UConn re-establish itself among the nation's elite, and showcasing his off-ball game won't hurt his prospects.

"For the next level, I've already proven I can play point guard," he said. "I played point all last year. I played point all throughouthigh school. I've played point forever. They know I can play that position. Right now, it's just focused on the bigger goal at hand. If that's whatit has to take to do it, I'm going to have to play some 2, but they know I can play the 1."

Others in this category: Ronald Steele, Alabama; Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga; Kyle McAlarney, Notre Dame
[h2]The endless burden[/h2]

pg2_a_paulus_200.jpg

AP Photo/Stephan Savoia

Greg Paulus absorbs much of the opposing fans' venom as the Blue Devil they love to hate.
Being the face of an elite program carries enough weight. But what if you get the star treatment from opposing fans and the nation at large -- andyou're not even a star?
That's how Greg Paulus, the lightning rod for all things Duke, has spent muchof the past two seasons since J.J. Redick left his title of America's Most Hated-on Player. As Paulus was a much-more-heralded football recruit, theexpectations placed on his hardwood career may not have been completely fair, but the over-the-top attention -- positive and negative -- is part of being aBlue Devil.

"I definitely learned a lot from J.J.," Paulus said. "He was a senior [my freshman year] and took a good majority of us and kind of passed itdown. Just watching him how he dealt with [the attention], how it made him focused, how it made him concentrate harder. Just his reaction and response to thethings and how he handled himself was a great example he set for me."

Paulus has been a key part of Duke teams that have failed to reach the Sweet 16 the past two seasons, but he's also been a member of some of theyoungest Duke teams in recent memory. After Redick and fellow All-American Shelden Williams left after the 2005-06 season, the next two Blue Devils teams had acombined total of one contributing senior -- guard DeMarcus Nelson last season. For aprogram that has thrived on upperclassmen molding each new wave of Blue Devils, underclassmen's departures have had an impact.

Now Paulus is one of those seniors. He said he never wanted anything other than to be a four-year player, to get his degree, to experience playing for MikeKrzyzewski. But he knows that his legacy will be determined by how far next season's team goes. Duke has a lot of talent back from last season's club,which rose as high as No. 2 in the polls before fading down the stretch. Expectations are high. He says he's ready for all aspects of that challenge, eventhe road games at which opposing fans show little tact.

"I don't know that I can appropriately say some of the things you hear," he said with a chuckle. "I just don't feel like that wouldbe suitable."

Others in this category: Dominic James, Marquette
[h2]The unassuming leader[/h2]

[+] Enlarge

Charles LeClaire/Getty Images

Sam Young may be an unassuming leader, but his high-flying game is hard to ignore.
As Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon puts it, when you average more than 18 points a game for a 27-win team and take home MVP honors from the Big Easttournament, you've earned the right to consider an early departure to the NBA.
So why did forward Sam Young barely even ponder leaving the program after hisjunior season?

"I decided the best thing for myself would be to go back to school, get my degree and have something to fall back on," he said. "Become aman. My mom always preached about getting a degree and stuff like that, so I definitely wanted to do that for my mother. Just becoming a Pitt alumni,that's priceless."

"When I do go into the NBA, I want to have polished every aspect of my game," added Young, who averaged only 7.2 points a game as a sophomore."… When the time comes next year, I feel like I'll be more ready -- physically, mentally -- to compete. I don't want to be one of those guys thatgoes to the NBA and sits on the bench."

Young's rise didn't come as a surprise to Dixon, who said the staff spoke to Young before last season about his presumptive role as the team'snew go-to scorer. Dixon said the staff had to work with Young more on the off-court stuff -- both in the locker room and with the media -- that comes withbeing a star.

"For some [time], he'd rather do other things than talk, but now I think he embraces it and likes it," Dixon said about Young's leadershiprole. "It was part of being who he wanted to be. You can't pick and choose."

Asked whether he's worried about entering this season as a proven marked man, Young quietly noted that he saw plenty of double-teams down the stretchlast season. He also notes that having returnees like point guard Levance Fields andbig man DeJuan Blair makes him and Pitt a well-rounded threat. The Panthers'status as a Big East favorite definitely helped keep Young around.

"We have a lot of pieces to the puzzle, and I preach on them every day," he said. "My goal is to win a national championship, and I thinkit's possible. I think it's very possible."

Others in this category: Josh Carter, Texas A&M; Jeff Pendergraph, Arizona State
[h2]The proving ground[/h2]

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Steven Senne

UNC knows Tyrese Rice can score. But can the senior score and make his BC teammates better, too?
Need a microcosm of Tyrese Rice's junior season? Look no further thanBoston College's home date with North Carolina. In as lethal an offensive performance as you'll see at this level, Rice tore the Heels apart for 34first-half points on his way to 46, the second-best scoring performance in Division I last season. But in the process, BC blew an 18-point lead and lost.Again.
The Eagles' 14-17 campaign is a large reason that Rice, who averaged 21.0 points and 5.0 assists last season, is back in Chestnut Hill for his seniorseason. Rice said he didn't want his college career to end with a losing season, especially after experiencing the highs of a top-10 ranking his freshmanyear. Another part of it is that he might not have had too much of a choice. The NBA doesn't exactly have a long track record of loving diminutive scoringpoint guards.

"It's always going to be tough for a small guard to make it to the next level, so you want to make sure you present the best possible package, andhe just has not done that yet," said BC head coach Al Skinner. "He's more than capable of doing more than what he's done so far, and he hasto demonstrate that."

Skinner went on to note that BC's problem last season wasn't Rice but rather the lack of consistency from the rest of the roster that often leftRice as the team's sole offensive hope. Still, Rice agrees with his coach's assessment about what he needs to do to attract pro attention, and he feelshe can make the Eagles a better club in the process.

"I have to be more efficient, both offensively and defensively," Rice said. "Maybe instead of averaging 21 and 5, maybe it will be somethinglike 18 and 8 with higher percentages, a better assist/turnover ratio. Just do a more effective job on the floor."

Given his prodigious production, it's hard to believe Rice is not more of a mainstream name. After all, BC plays in a premier conference and is locatedin a major media market. It just goes to show how important winning is, especially for a point guard. One thing's for sure: Skinner is glad that Ricestayed.

"Our guys are going to improve, and it is extremely helpful that Tyrese has stayed around because he gives us the leadership and makes the differencein bridging the gap for us between experience and talent where we lie right now," Skinner said. "He's going to be the bridge for that. Ifhe's successful, he'll get his share of recognition."

Others in this category: Jon Brockman, Washington; Stefon Jackson, UTEP; Darren Collison, UCLA; Jack McClinton, Miami; Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga

Sam Young is gona have his way in the Big East this year
ohwell.gif

"I have to be more efficient, both offensively and defensively," Rice said. "Maybe instead of averaging 21 and 5, maybe it will be something like 18 and 8 with higher percentages, a better assist/turnover ratio. Just do a more effective job on the floor."
Dre, maybe he's getting it all now
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

I hope he does.

I don't see how what I said is wrong or dumb....please inform me on how you don't think that the NCAA exploits kids
laugh.gif

I'm not trying to jump in on an argument or anything, but these kids are given a great opportunity to mature (both physically andemotionally/psychologically), they are given a free education (often at a caliber of academic school they would have ZERO % chance to get into without sports),and they are given tons of exposure. For you to say the kids get "nothing" is absolutely ridiculous.

There is some exploitation for sure, but I think it works both way's to some extent. Anyway as has been pointed out, these kids are only being kept fromearning money for a few months (and often they are paid by agents/outside sources during college anyway). I'm not really sure if the rule is completelyfair, but I don't think its such a terrible thing either. The % of kids that went straight from high school to the nba and got a 2nd contract is reallyreally low. Maybe it is their choice to make, but this may help a lot of them from making a poor one.

[h2]The proving ground[/h2]

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Steven Senne

UNC knows Tyrese Rice can score. But can the senior score and make his BC teammates better, too?
Need a microcosm of Tyrese Rice's junior season? Look no further than Boston College's home date with North Carolina. In as lethal an offensive performance as you'll see at this level, Rice tore the Heels apart for 34 first-half points on his way to 46, the second-best scoring performance in Division I last season. But in the process, BC blew an 18-point lead and lost. Again.
The Eagles' 14-17 campaign is a large reason that Rice, who averaged 21.0 points and 5.0 assists last season, is back in Chestnut Hill for his senior season. Rice said he didn't want his college career to end with a losing season, especially after experiencing the highs of a top-10 ranking his freshman year. Another part of it is that he might not have had too much of a choice. The NBA doesn't exactly have a long track record of loving diminutive scoring point guards.

"It's always going to be tough for a small guard to make it to the next level, so you want to make sure you present the best possible package, and he just has not done that yet," said BC head coach Al Skinner. "He's more than capable of doing more than what he's done so far, and he has to demonstrate that."

Skinner went on to note that BC's problem last season wasn't Rice but rather the lack of consistency from the rest of the roster that often left Rice as the team's sole offensive hope. Still, Rice agrees with his coach's assessment about what he needs to do to attract pro attention, and he feels he can make the Eagles a better club in the process.

"I have to be more efficient, both offensively and defensively," Rice said. "Maybe instead of averaging 21 and 5, maybe it will be something like 18 and 8 with higher percentages, a better assist/turnover ratio. Just do a more effective job on the floor."

Given his prodigious production, it's hard to believe Rice is not more of a mainstream name. After all, BC plays in a premier conference and is located in a major media market. It just goes to show how important winning is, especially for a point guard. One thing's for sure: Skinner is glad that Rice stayed.

"Our guys are going to improve, and it is extremely helpful that Tyrese has stayed around because he gives us the leadership and makes the difference in bridging the gap for us between experience and talent where we lie right now," Skinner said. "He's going to be the bridge for that. If he's successful, he'll get his share of recognition."

My son 'Rese
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dre, maybe he's getting it all now
pimp.gif

He got it last year allen...Towards the end of the season....His team is just
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. But Hopefully he'll put in more work over the summer andwill get his name out there on the national level where it should be.

An improved Rice???
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
(Except for when he plays Duke) BEST PG IN THE ACC. YEAH IM SAYING IT AND I'M GONNA KEEP SAYING IT UNTIL SOMEONE IN THE ACC PROVES ME WRONG! (YES,THAT MEANS YOU TY
nerd.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom