College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Rivals..

Rivals.com 2008-09 Preseason Top 25:

northcarolina_statslogo.gif

1. NORTH CAROLINA
With or without the three players who put their names the draft, the Tar Heels were a contender for the national title - they were No. 5 in our previous poll. Add guards Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington and versatile wing Danny Green back to the mix, and the Heels clearly are the team to beat. Tyler Hansbrough, who could be the first back-to-back national player of the year since Virginia's Ralph Sampson in the early 1980s, and virtually his entire supporting cast return from a team that won 36 games and reached the Final Four. The Heels have also added a top-15 recruiting class.

connecticut_statslogo.gif

2. CONNECTICUT
The Huskies have an abundance of talent, experience and size. They return every key player from a 24-win team, including 7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet, who surprisingly never entered the draft. The big question is health. Point guard A.J. Price tore an ACL in the NCAA Tournament and coach Jim Calhoun will begin radiation treatments next week for his second battle with skin cancer. Calhoun's doctors believe he'll be in good shape for the start of the season.

pittsburgh_statslogo.gif

3. PITTSBURGH
The Celtics have the "Big Three" in the NBA. Pitt has its own version in the college ranks with guard Levance Fields, forward Sam Young and center DeJuan Blair. Each ranks among the best at his position. The Panthers could get a boost if guard Mike Cook receives a medical redshirt. Cook was averaging 10.4 points when he tore his ACL in the 11th game last season. But with or without Cook, the Panthers have enough firepower to reach their first Final Four since 1941.

purdue_statslogo.gif

4. PURDUE
Every coach will tell you players make their biggest improvement between their freshman and sophomore years. That's exactly why the "Baby Boilers" could leap into the elite ranks after a surprising second-place finish in the Big Ten last season. The two leading scorers (guard E'Twaun Moore and forward Robbie Hummel) on that young squad were freshmen. Sophomore-to-be big man JaJuan Johnson looks poised for a breakout season, as well.

notredame_statslogo.gif

5. NOTRE DAME
Irish coach Mike Brey won't be able to play the underdog card with this team. Not with a roster that boasts the reigning Big East Player of the Year (Luke Harangody), the league's top outside shooter (Kyle McAlarney) and the league's top assist man (Tory Jackson) from this past season. If that trio remains healthy, the Irish should go to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

duke_statslogo.gif

6. DUKE
The Blue Devils haven't fixed their problems on the inside, but they still have a tremendous amount of firepower on the perimeter. Mike Krzyzewski will have two guards on his bench who would start for most ACC teams. Athletic wing Gerald Henderson has a future in the NBA. Senior point guard Greg Paulus enters what seems like his sixth year. There's also Jon Scheyer (11.7 ppg) and talented sophomore-to-be Nolan Smith. Skilled forward Kyle Singler is a dangerous 3-point shooter.

oklahoma_statslogo.gif

7. OKLAHOMA
Big man Blake Griffin was considered a first-round lock, but chose to stay in school. A glance at his supporting cast next season may have played a role. The Sooners are adding five-star guard Willie Warren, who likely will be playing with Griffin in the NBA someday. Experienced guards Tony Crocker (11.3 ppg) and Austin Johnson (8.6 ppg) are back, and UCLA transfer Ryan Wright will help make up for the loss of center Longar Longar.

louisville_statslogo.gif

8. LOUISVILLE
As usual, Cardinals coach Rick Pitino isn't hurting for talent. Terrence Williams and Earl Clark - both of whom Pitino expected to turn pro by now - stuck around for another season. Clark was the Cardinals' best player in the NCAA Tournament. The Cards also are adding two of the top big men in the 2008 class: power forwards Samardo Samuels and Terrence Jennings.

ucla_statslogo.gif

9. UCLA
The Bruins lost three players (Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook) and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute) to the NBA Draft, but it could have been worse. Veteran wing Josh Shipp opted to stay in school, a move that gives the Bruins a significantly better chance of reaching a fourth consecutive Final Four. Shipp and senior point guard Darren Collison will be the leaders of a young team that welcomes the nation's No. 1 recruiting class.

tennessee_statslogo.gif

10. TENNESSEE
One probable starter (point guard Ramar Smith) and a top reserve (center Duke Crews) were kicked off the team since our last poll, but the Vols dropped only one spot. That's largely because coach Bruce Pearl has put together the kind of talent and depth to absorb such losses. Versatile forward Tyler Smith, the best returning player in the SEC, chose not to test the draft waters. Five-star guard Scotty Hopson should make a big impact immediately.

georgetown_statslogo.gif

11. GEORGETOWN
Hoyas coach John Thompson III's system isn't built around one or two players, so losing point guard Jonathan Wallace and 7-2 center Roy Hibbert isn't as damaging as it would be at most programs. Remember, the Hoyas bounced back fine from the loss of lottery pick Jeff Green a year ago. Veterans Jessie Sapp (11.1 ppg) and DaJuan Summers (9.7 ppg) return, and they are joined by a solid recruiting class that boasts prize recruit Greg Monroe.

michiganstate_statslogo.gif

12. MICHIGAN STATE
The Spartans lose a key player, but there still are high expectations and with good reason. Guard Drew Neitzel (13.9 ppg) is the only major loss, and Tom Izzo once again has stockpiled a large amount of talent. Athletic wing Raymar Morgan should contend for Big Ten player of the year honors. Point guard Kalin Lucas has great physical tools. Five-star recruit Delvon Roe will be counted on to provide some much-needed help on the inside.

gonzaga_statslogo.gif

13. GONZAGA
No single player who chose to pull out of the draft may have meant more to his team than point guard Jeremy Pargo. Without Pargo, Gonzaga probably is staring at another first- or second-round exit in the NCAA Tournament. With him, they are a legitimate Final Four threat. The Zags return three other double-digit scorers and a have a roster loaded with former top-100 recruits, but no one could replace Pargo's playmaking ability.

texas_statslogo.gif

14. TEXAS
The Longhorns jumped up seven spots thanks to A.J. Abrams's decision to stay in school. Abrams' backcourt mate, .J. Augustin, made it clear he was leaving for good weeks ago, but Texas returns every other key player from an Elite Eight run. That includes a deep frontcourt led by forward Damion James, who averaged 13.0 points and 11.6 rebounds in the NCAA Tournament.

memphis_statslogo.gif

15. MEMPHIS
As expected, Antonio Anderson and Robert Dozier pulled out of the draft. That gives John Calipari two starters from the national runner-up squad to build around. Two other contributors, guard Willie Kemp and center Shawn Taggart, also return. Add a top-five recruiting class that is highlighted by guard Tyreke Evans - another possible one-and-done - and the Sweet 16 looks like a reachable goal.

kansas_statslogo.gif

16. KANSAS
There is the small matter of replacing all five starters from the national championship team. The key returnees are point guard Sherron Collins (9.3 ppg, 3.1 apg) and center Cole Aldrich (2.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg), who had a coming-out party in the Final Four against North Carolina and will have to continue to improve. But the real key for coach Bill Self is a recruiting class ranked No. 2 nationally that features two top junior college prospects.

villanova_statslogo.gif

17. VILLANOVA
The Wildcats made a surprising run to the Sweet 16 last season. A repeat of the feat would not be a shock. They return their top seven scorers, including star guard Scottie Reynolds (15.9 ppg). Coach Jay Wright wouldn't mind at all if he received bigger contributions from the Coreys, former five-star guard prospects Corey Fisher (9.1 ppg) and Corey Stokes (6.4 ppg). They're certainly capable.

wakeforest_statslogo.gif

18. WAKE FOREST
Dino Gaudio is stockpiling young talent in Winston-Salem. Everyone returns from a team that went 17-13. Forward James Johnson (14.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg) and guard Jeff Teague (13.9 ppg) were on the ACC All-Freshman team. The Demon Deacons add to that already-solid nucleus a recruiting class ranked No. 3 nationally. It's a three-man class with enough stars to fill a constellation.

florida_statslogo.gif

19. FLORIDA
Can the Gators return to form after missing the NCAA Tournament? Big man Marreese Speights won't return, so there will be minutes up front to be had by some highly ranked incoming freshmen. SEC Co-Freshman of the Year Nick Calathes will only get better. The guys who must step up were with Calathes in 2007's top-ranked recruiting class. Billy Donovan must get more from Jai Lucas and Chandler Parsons.

marquette_statslogo.gif

20. MARQUETTE
There's no question about the talent. The veteran guard trio of Dominic James (12.9 ppg, 4.4 apg), Jerel McNeal (14.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.5 apg) and Wesley Matthews (11.3 ppg) returns intact. The Golden Eagles also welcome back a fourth double-digit scorer, forward Lazar Hayward (12.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg). The intrigue surrounds the coaching change, where Tom Crean has departed and assistant Buzz Williams takes over.

usc_statslogo.gif

21. USC
The Trojans got only a year out of O.J. Mayo and Davon Jefferson, but it was a good one. The same may hold true for Demar DeRozan, the top-ranked shooting guard prospect in the nation. Coach Tim Floyd has some other key parts returning; he can turn to forward Taj Gibson (10.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and guards Dwight Lewis (10.8 ppg) and Daniel Hackett (8.6 ppg, 3.2 apg).

davidson_statslogo.gif

22. DAVIDSON
Gone is point guard Jason Richards, who led the nation in assists last season. Fortunately for coach Bob McKillop and the Wildcats, the guy on the other end of so many of those dimes returns. Guard Stephen Curry (25.9 ppg) is expected to take over duties at the point while still carrying much of the scoring load. Andrew Lovedale (6.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg), who emerged in the NCAA Tournament run, must step up in the frontcourt.

unlv_statslogo.gif

23. UNLV
The Rebels are about to embark on an exhibition trip to Australia. That will give the three returning senior starters more time to mesh with redshirt freshman center Beas Hamga, a 7-foot former five-star prospect, and Memphis transfer Tre'Von Willis. Coach Lon Kruger took an unheralded Florida team Down Under in the summer of 1993. The team bonded and produced the school's first-ever Final Four appearance.

westvirginia_statslogo.gif

24. WEST VIRGINIA
Yes, Joe Alexander stayed in the draft, but the Mountaineers will continue to climb the mountain in the Big East. Coach Bob Huggins can build around talented off-guard Alex Ruoff (13.8 ppg) and forward Da'Sean Butler (12.9 ppg, 6.2 rpg). He also is bringing in the nation's 18th-ranked recruiting class, headlined by five-star small forward Devin Ebanks and four-star power forward Kevin Jones.

arizona_statslogo.gif

25. ARIZONA
Chase Budinger's surprise return to campus makes the Wildcats a threat to crack the top 25. Budinger comes off a sophomore season in which he averaged 17.1 points and 5.4 rebounds. Other returning starters include improved big man Jordan Hill (13.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and point guard Nic Wise (9.2 ppg, 4.4 apg). Arizona also brings in point guard Brandon Jennings, the No. 4 overall prospect nationally.

OTHERS CONSIDERED (LISTED ALPHABETICALLY): Arizona State, Baylor, Kentucky, Miami, Ohio State, San Diego, Wisconsin, Xavier.

As long as my Nova doesn't see Hoyas in the Big East Tournament.....+%$% is the same story, Hoyas goes on a one of those ridiculous 31-6 or whateva runsand then Nova cuts its too single digits to make JT sweat, but it will be too little too late. I think JTIII is ONE of the FEW coaches to EVER OUTCOACH the+%$% out of Wright.

arizona state>>>>>>>>>ZONA and it ant even close
Actually it is pretty close. If Boateng can improve leaps and bounds then yes ASU is clearly the better team due to their front court advantage. I still hate Sendeks offensive scheme but it works for him wherever he goes. Harden and his left hand is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

arizona state>>>>>>>>>ZONA and it ant even close

You sir are ******ed. We had a horrible interm head coach and no depth.
1. UCLA
2. Arizona
3. ASU

and olson sucks and where is the depth at this year?

I know you like to troll but come on son
indifferent.gif

Do I really needto look up dude's stats?

Anyway...Fogg, Lavender, Fendi, Horne all can come in and play which is more than we had this past year with Daniel Dillon as the 6th man
sick.gif

Originally Posted by dfresh244

and olson sucks and where is the depth at this year?

I know you like to troll but come on son
indifferent.gif

Do I really need to look up dude's stats?

Anyway...Fogg, Lavender, Fendi, Horne all can come in and play which is more than we had this past year with Daniel Dillon as the 6th man
sick.gif

i troll because i state facts on zona?

Here let me break it down since your homer #!* is so +*%+$*# stupid you cant look at #+*$ like everyone else does

OLSON SUCKS NOW AS A HEAD COACH. not all time right now he sucks from the past few years you can tell the game has passed up his old #!* so i dont see why himcoming back is going to help. i guess if your comparing someone to oneil then ya it helps.
eyes.gif
. arizona has a losing record VS top 25 teams for like the last 3 or 4 years now(i looked it up before but forgot what it was now) and that was all with olson as the HC. Then lets not get on to half his staff leaving him this year

again WHAT DEPTH? so bum players that got NO PT last year are going to become major players this year and help the team out? like WHO. your counting on FR topretty much put this team on there backs and carry it and its suppose to be a 2nd place team in the pac10? my #!*. its one thing to be like UCLA and adding agreat FR class to a team with players that has vets on it and players that has been to battle and won with each other before. last what 3 years a FR wassuppose to come to zona and turn it around and what happend? FAIL

Lets look at the current roster while where at it.
Chase Budinger- Air Bud is hot trash. plays NO D and only shoots outside but has no jumper. dude is SOFT
Nic Wise- nothing bad to say about wise he comes to battle every night proably your toughest player and thats sad considering the fact he is only 5'9
Kirk Walters-
sick.gif

Alex Jacobson -
roll.gif
sick.gif

Jamelle Horne- Air bud part 2 coming up for yall
Jeff Whitey-
roll.gif
he is worse then Jacobson so you can count on him warmingthat bench for years to come
Hill- Didnt do #+*$ when he faced any team with a good bigman.
im not going to even waste time on the other players cause everyone is going to be like "WHO THE !$#+ IS THAT"

Paulus isn't a clear cut better player than Frasor. Has he ever made it to the third round. A healthy Frasor starts at duke over Paulus especially theirfreshmen years. WHile Frasor may not wow anyone with stats he is a steady ball handler that plays tough defense, and takes care of the ball. Paulus is aturnover machine that can't stay with ANY acc guard, not even Frasor go back to freshmen year, but is a streaky shooter. Paulus was suppose to be apart ofone of duke's best classes (aside from the 02 class) and he has lead them to one of their worst stretches in the past 20 years, aside from the year when Kfaked a back injury.

Looking at some of the rankings it's very surprising to see Miami as high as some people rank them. King had a coming out party against duke last year butthey are soft in the frontcourt, having to play Singler as the 5 is ridiculous. Miami has some decent player but can they handle the pressure of being a top 25team, I don't think so.

FOr Uconn a lot depends on how Price comes back, acl injuries can linger and you have to have confidence in your knee when you come back. Plus how is theirbench shaping up could be a concern. Same with Georgetown they have a really nice looking starting 5 but they took a big hit this off season with transfers andgraduation.

Really the only thing that separates UNC from everyone else is their depth. They could actually go 11 deep. While they probably won't do that inimportant/close games, it does save the legs of their starters in those games where they have a working cushion.

You are stupid as #*%%. Lute Olson is a HOF coach and I would take him on the sidelines over any coach give or take a few. Budinger is "trash" Ididn't know that you could be trash and win Pac-10 FOY and is a better collegiate player than Westbrook and Shipp. Would you like to make some sort ofwager on the season he'll have? Because as much as I know you want to prove me wrong we both know that Budinger with Jennings at the point and Olson'sstyle of offense he's going to put up huge numbers.

Hill will be one of if not the top big man in the Pac-10 especially since he'll be at the 4 and not play as much. He will be a top 20 pick at least innext years draft. So you're hating just to hate there.

Who do you have that's so great off the bench? Keefe? OMG Roll? z0mhG!!!! Aboya??? AHHHHHH

Jrue is legit but Gordon is trash I've seen him play since his freshman year in HS as is Lee.

Again, Arizona will make the tournament for the 25th consecutive year and I'll guarantee Arizona make's to AT LEAST the second round of the tournamentso screennames whatever you want to wager put it up. Because for someone who talks so much you sure as hell don't like to put up or shut up.

who cares what UCLA has on there bench. you dont here me on hearing hyping the hell out of there bench like its great. i will be there 1st to tell u that ifeveryone is going to put UCLA in there top 5 then we are a overrated team. i have no problem with saying ANYTHING bad about my time and not been a straighthomer

You no good and damn well olson has lost it so stop defending him. is he a HOF coach? HELL YEAH he is that doesnt mean he cant lose it. he is pretty much inthe same group as bobby Bowden and Joe Pa is at this point. players keep leaving early,recurits asking out and asstant coachs leaving and taken same postionjobs else where.

Chase sucks. your trying to count on a player that just doesnt have a heart. dude is soft PERIOD. just like the whole team. you just dont get tough over nightwhich arizona needs.

So you construed all that over me saying "Last year we had no depth" how exactly was I "hyping" them up? Do we have an elite secondstring? no. But it is 10 times what it was last year and pretty solid. Lute Olson may have lost a step but that is still better than most coaches best. Andlike I've told you a million times yes Chase has no heart and is soft but that doesn't make him a bad player. There are plenty of players who are"soft" but still talented

Paulus isn't a clear cut better player than Frasor. Has he ever made it to the third round. A healthy Frasor starts at duke over Paulus especially their freshmen years. WHile Frasor may not wow anyone with stats he is a steady ball handler that plays tough defense, and takes care of the ball. Paulus is a turnover machine that can't stay with ANY acc guard, not even Frasor go back to freshmen year, but is a streaky shooter. Paulus was suppose to be apart of one of duke's best classes (aside from the 02 class) and he has lead them to one of their worst stretches in the past 20 years, aside from the year when K faked a back injury.

At this moment, I'm taking Paulus HANDS down. No way Bobby comes in and snatches his spot. If Nolan couldn't do it, then Bobbyisn't either. Has Frasor ever LED his team to the 1[sup]st[/sup], 2[sup]nd[/sup] or 3[sup]rd[/sup] round? Since you decided to bringthat up….. I'm one of his biggest critics, but that boy GP has made STRIDES in his game. Major strides. Paulus last year took care of the ball and playedtough d. And you talking about him not being able to stay stay w/ most acc guards. ??? Lemme see Frasor stay w/ Tyrese, Ty, Ishmael/Jeff Teague, Singletary,Tony Smith and dude from UM last year.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Paulus isn't a clear cut better player than Frasor. Has he ever made it to the third round. A healthy Frasor starts at duke over Paulus especially their freshmen years. WHile Frasor may not wow anyone with stats he is a steady ball handler that plays tough defense, and takes care of the ball. Paulus is a turnover machine that can't stay with ANY acc guard, not even Frasor go back to freshmen year, but is a streaky shooter. Paulus was suppose to be apart of one of duke's best classes (aside from the 02 class) and he has lead them to one of their worst stretches in the past 20 years, aside from the year when K faked a back injury.

At this moment, I'm taking Paulus HANDS down. No way Bobby comes in and snatches his spot. If Nolan couldn't do it, then Bobby isn't either. Has Frasor ever LED his team to the 1[sup]st[/sup], 2[sup]nd[/sup] or 3[sup]rd[/sup] round? Since you decided to bring that up….. I'm one of his biggest critics, but that boy GP has made STRIDES in his game. Major strides. Paulus last year took care of the ball and played tough d. And you talking about him not being able to stay stay w/ most acc guards. ??? Lemme see Frasor stay w/ Tyrese, Ty, Ishmael/Jeff Teague, Singletary, Tony Smith and dude from UM last year.

laugh.gif
you hate that boy so much, can't even type his name.

but Bobby Frasor is.....nevermind, Paulus/Frasor debate is just stupid.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Paulus is definitely better than Frasor, not even a question.
That's like choosing between death by firing squad or being lit on fire.

let's see...

Paulus = death by firing squad

Frasor = being lit on fire

well, death by firing squad would be better than being lit on fire.

in conclusion, Paulus is better than Frasor, but they both suck.
laugh.gif

13. Texas
The Longhorns received good news Monday when shooting guard A.J. Abrams decided to go back to Austin. Abrams was looking at possibly going undrafted, so thismove made sense. The Longhorns will desperately miss point guard D.J. Augustin, who did leave for the draft. But don't fret. With Abrams and rising starsDamion James and Justin Mason, Texas is still good enough to win the Big 12. The inside game is solid, even if it doesn't have a big-time star just yet.Rising sophomore forward Gary Johnson could be that for Texas next season.

Mason running the point and playing lockdown D FTW, i expect a very big year for Damion James this year...if his J has gotten better 18ppg 12rebs is possible!!
lineup:
Mason
Abrams
Johnson
James
Atchley

Texas should be pretty good this year. Obviously losing Augustin is gonna hurt a bit, but Texas has a lot of experienced guys. How J'Covan Brown comes andplays could be a big factor. I think James and Mason will have pretty big seasons, with James becoming a potential lottery pick. I've always been a fan ofthe way Mason plays. I see Texas finishing 2nd or 3rd in the Big Xii South, behind Oklahoma and possibly Oklahoma State.

Back
Top Bottom