College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by tmay407

Texas should be pretty good this year. Obviously losing Augustin is gonna hurt a bit, but Texas has a lot of experienced guys. How J'Covan Brown comes and plays could be a big factor. I think James and Mason will have pretty big seasons, with James becoming a potential lottery pick. I've always been a fan of the way Mason plays. I see Texas finishing 2nd or 3rd in the Big Xii South, behind Oklahoma and possibly Oklahoma State.

Knowledge coming from an A&M fan...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

By no means do i think we can win the Big XII but i look for a suprising season, maybe shock a few teams and get to the tourney...
should be exciting....
Blake Griffin vs. Damion James
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Willie Warren vs Justin Mason
smokin.gif

I hope Mason has put in work on the offensive end this offseason because if he can score consistently LIGHTS OUT!!
J'Covan Brown should be a nice addition to the squad and hopefully he can be that 6th man role, that Abrams played his freshman year, and spark somethingoff the bench

Just found some info on rivals

And the hits keep on coming for Bruce Pearl and the Tennessee Vols. On Tuesday the mystery of where the nation's top unsigned player would land was solvedwhen Emmanuel Negedu ended his recruitment by making a public commitment to Tennessee. It's a commitment that adds even more luster to what was already oneof the nation's top 2008 classes.

Rivals.com rates Negedu as the No. 40 overall player in the nation.
Negedu (6-foot-8, 225 pounds) signed with Arizona in November, but after a topsy-turvy year that saw Lute Olsen take a leave of absence, the nation's No.40 overall ranked player had second thoughts and asked for a release from the Wildcats this spring.

Once that release was granted Tennessee became an immediate player in the race to land him and today that race came to a successful conclusion for the Vols.

"It's Tennessee, it's official and I'm excited about getting there," Negedu said of his decision.

Once he obtained his release Negedu-who is originally from Nigeria and attended Brewster Academy in New Hampshire-came up with a list of four schools andproceeded to make official visits to each within a two-week time frame in June.

Along with Tennessee he also visited Memphis, Georgia Tech and Indiana.

"I just felt at home there," Negedu said of what put the Vols over the top. "I liked the program, the coaches and the players. It just felt likethe right situation for me. Being there you could see that people really got along with one another. The coaches and players all just seem like a big familyand everyone was having a good time together when I was there. That's the kind of environment I was looking for.

"It wasn't just the players or the campus, it was the whole town, I really liked it there. Everyone just seemed really friendly and laid back.It's somewhere I think I can be at home."

Negedu also happened to be the kind of player the Vols were looking for after junior-to-be Duke Crews was dismissed from the program in the spring.

The freakishly-athletic Negedu should be able to step in immediately in the Vols' rotation. His most natural fit would appear to be at that 'hybridpower-forward' spot that Pearl has used so effectively with both Dane Bradshaw and now Tyler Smith.

"That's how I see it," Negedu said of his role on the team. "I love the style of play. It was the best fit for me and I think I can helpTyler and those other guys. I know I have a lot of work to do, but if work hard I think I should be able to help out this year."

Tennessee didn't land Negedu simply because he was blown away on his official visit last week, though clearly that helped. The staff laid the groundworkfor this particular recruiting coup the first time around, before he committed to Arizona during the spring of his junior year.

Pearl & Co. recruited Negedu hard in that instance but missed out when he committed to the Wildcats after making an unofficial visit to Tuscon last April.

"The biggest factor really was the people and me already knowing all the coaches from recruiting me before," Negedu said. "The same people arethere and that helped a lot. I already knew them and had some good relationships with coach Pearl and coach Forbes.

"When I committed the first time I was really down to Tennessee and Arizona and it was close between them. So when things changed for me it just madesense to look at Tennessee again and I liked the situation a lot."

In addition to the comfort-level Negedu found with the staff, his future teammates and the town of Knoxville itself, the opportunity to win big and win earlywas also a pivotal part of his decision.

"Of course, everyone wants to win. That was a big deal for me," he said of the direction Pearl has taken the program recently. "I didn'twant to be in a rebuilding situation and Tennessee has the players there to win right now. Like I said, I 'm just real excited to be a part of what theyhave going on there."

Negedu said that he plans to be in Knoxville in the first week of July and he will enroll in the second session of summer school.

For Tennessee, landing Negedu comes at a great time, hard on the heels of losing 2009 prospect Leslie McDonald to North Carolina.

In landing Negedu, the Vols also went head-to-head with Memphis for a national prospect and came out on top, something that's worth noting in a rivalrythat's intense on-and-off the court.

Rivals.com rates Negedu as a four-star prospect, the No. 40 overall player in the Class of 2009 and the nation's No. 13 power forward.

Bobby is a solid defender but if I had to choose between the two players I would take Paulus if and only if Danny Green and Deron Washington are not on theopposing teams.

cleansneaks,
I can't quote you when I post from my phone for some reason, but...

I don't really get into the whole rivalry thing between Texas and Texas A&M. Baylor thinks we're their biggest rival, we think y'all are ourbiggest rival, y'all think Oklahoma is your biggest rival...It's just not really a true true rivalry to me. But I grew up watching Texas, so Idon't really have any room to start hatin' on 'em now.

Mason developing more of an offensive game is gonna be important, too. Abrams coming back really helps offensively, but Mason is gonna have to at leastcontribute a little bit more to help make up for the loss of Augustin's offense. He's always been fairly good at knocking down an open shot, butI've never really seen him create very much. I just don't see anyone else that could step up and help make the loss of Augustin's offense otherthan Mason. James and Atchley already do enough on offense, but maybe Gary Johnson could help carry the load if he's developed at all.

Originally Posted by tmay407

cleansneaks,
I can't quote you when I post from my phone for some reason, but...

I don't really get into the whole rivalry thing between Texas and Texas A&M. Baylor thinks we're their biggest rival, we think y'all are our biggest rival, y'all think Oklahoma is your biggest rival...It's just not really a true true rivalry to me. But I grew up watching Texas, so I don't really have any room to start hatin' on 'em now.

Mason developing more of an offensive game is gonna be important, too. Abrams coming back really helps offensively, but Mason is gonna have to at least contribute a little bit more to help make up for the loss of Augustin's offense. He's always been fairly good at knocking down an open shot, but I've never really seen him create very much. I just don't see anyone else that could step up and help make the loss of Augustin's offense other than Mason. James and Atchley already do enough on offense, but maybe Gary Johnson could help carry the load if he's developed at all.

The thing i worry about our team is... who is going to create!?! Who is going to get to the basket consistently?? Mason has got to be that guy because imoi dont think Abrams can do it, Rick tried him at PG and it didnt fair well. Gary Johnson was wild VERY WILD last year if he can control his play and get alittle 8-12ft J he will a good player. I look forward to seeing them grow together, matter of fact our big 3 just passed my window, and i know they stay in thegym. I'm sure they can do big things if they can stay healthy and NOT SETTLE FOR THE J too often. This is my senior year and i've seen alot of goodplayers come through and i think he can have a very good squad(crosses fingers).

I thought Paulus improved quite a bit this year...but enough of that.

Best Non Conference Games for the Year

1) North Carolina vs. Michigan State at Ford Field on Dec. 3.

2) UConn vs. Gonzaga in Seattle - Dec. 20

3) Notre Dame at UCLA - Feb. 7

4) Duke at Purdue - Dec. 2

5) Gonzaga at Tennessee - Jan. 7

6) Michigan State vs. Texas in Houston - Dec. 20

7) USC at Oklahoma - Dec. 4

glasses.gif
Marquette at Tennessee - Dec. 16

9) Memphis at Tennessee - Jan. 24

10) UCLA at Texas - Dec. 4

11) Gonzaga vs. Arizona in Phoenix - Dec. 14

12) Memphis vs. Gonzaga in Spokane - Feb. 7

13) Kentucky at Louisville - Jan. 4

14) Kansas at Michigan State - Jan. 10

15) Georgetown at Duke - Jan. 17

16) Memphis at Georgetown - Dec. 13

17) West Virginia at Ohio State - Dec. 27

18) Kansas at Arizona - Dec. 23

19) Davidson at Duke - Jan. 7

20) Texas at Wisconsin - Dec. 23

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I thought Paulus improved quite a bit this year...but enough of that.

Best Non Conference Games for the Year

3) Notre Dame at UCLA - Feb. 7

4) Duke at Purdue - Dec. 2

6) Michigan State vs. Texas in Houston - Dec. 20

7) USC at Oklahoma - Dec. 4

glasses.gif
Marquette at Tennessee - Dec. 16

9) Memphis at Tennessee - Jan. 24

13) Kentucky at Louisville - Jan. 4

14) Kansas at Michigan State - Jan. 10

15) Georgetown at Duke - Jan. 17

16) Memphis at Georgetown - Dec. 13

18) Kansas at Arizona - Dec. 23

19) Davidson at Duke - Jan. 7

devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
pimp.gif

Since Saturday, it seems that Lance's list has changed a little bit. "USC, St. John's, Kansas, UCLA, and Tennessee," are the schools thatStephenson just told me he is considering. I asked if North Carolina, Memphis, Kentucky, and Indiana were out of contention, and he told me that they are not:"I'm still looking at [those] schools, but I'm more focused on the other [first five] schools, then I'm going to focus on the others."

Kid has no idea it seems right now...

laugh.gif
allen, quote that !#%@. i'm sittin here reading that like YOUactually talked to Lance.

anyone got an info on the pre-season tourneys?

we play in the Las Vegas tournament with K-State, Iowa, West Virginia. kinda weak, but oh well. i've never been to Vegas...i'm gonna try to go.
pimp.gif

It looks as if times might be a-changin' on the recruiting trail if the National Association of Basketball Coaches has its way. The NABC made a recommendation today that all coaches hold off on offering scholarships to kids that are not yet in high school. According to the president of the NABC, a man who goes by the name of…..cue ominous music….Orlando "Tubby" Smith, "The academic and athletic profiles of these younger students are still very much works in progress. Coaches and athletes need to respect the process and allow development to occur in both areas prior to making commitments."

NABC to hoop coaches: Leave the young kids alone

This sent in by USA TODAY college writer Steve Wieberg

This finger is pointed at you, Billy Gillispie.

Seven weeks after the Kentucky basketball coach tendered scholarship offers to eighth- and ninth-graders, the national college coaches association is urging its members to back off such aggressive pursuit of not-yet-or-barely-in-high-school players. (Photo by John Sommers II, Reuters)

The NABC's board of directors, whose members include Kansas' Bill Self, Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Minnesota's Tubby Smith, released the recommendation Wednesday, asking all college coaches to hold off on offering scholarships or accepting commitments from prospects until mid-June after their sophomore year in high school. Younger players "have not yet displayed sufficient academic credentials or, in the vast majority of cases, basketball maturity to accurately project them as admissible students to the institution or impact players on the basketball team," the association said.

Said Smith, the NABC's current president, "The academic and athletic profiles of these younger students are still very much works in progress. Coaches and athletes need to respect the process and allow development to occur in both areas prior to making commitments."

The board's move follows Gillispie's offer to Lake Sherwood, Calif., eighth-grader Michael Avery after seeing the 15-year-old play in a LeBron James-sponsored youth basketball event in Ohio in late April. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from initiating contact with any prospect before June 15 following the player's sophomore year, but Avery's father heard of his interest and put in a call to Gillispie. The coach said he'd make a scholarship available starting with Kentucky's 2012-13 season; the Averys accepted.

Shortly afterward, Gillispie made a similar offer -- and got the same commitment -- from Greenfield, Ohio, ninth-grader Vincent Zollo. Neither the coach's nor the players' commitments are binding at such an early stage.

A year earlier, Southern California coach Tim Floyd got a commitment from a then-eighth-grader from Illinois and offered a scholarship to a California 14-year-old when the player was a high school freshman.

Whew.

If any year is going to be "the year", this is it.
God, how I wish this was for football.
grin.gif

laugh.gif
..my fault

I could easily see Gonzaga takin at least 2, maybe 3 of those 4.

And KLJ, not to mention..

moz-screenshot.jpg
2008 Field

[table][tr][td]
Gonzaga
[/td] [td]
Maryland
[/td] [td]
Tennessee
[/td] [td]
Michigan State
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Oklahoma State
[/td] [td]
Siena
[/td] [td]
Wichita State
[/td] [td]
Georgetown
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table]
That Old Spice Field is TOUGH.

Maryland might actually be the worst team, now that I look at it
pimp.gif

Nov. 24-26 - Maui Invitational
(Tournament Field: UNC, Alabama, Indiana, Notre Dame, Oregon, Saint Joseph's,Texas & Chaminade)

I thought for sure we were playing Arizona again this season at home, but I guess not.

Oh it's Georgetown.
laugh.gif

I live and die with them.

I'm just a fan of Seina's current squad and get to see them quite a bit bein down the street from me.

Possible Harangody vs Hansbrough?
That's like 2 ******s mud wrestling.

The thing i worry about our team is... who is going to create!?! Who is going to get to the basket consistently?? Mason has got to be that guy because imo i dont think Abrams can do it, Rick tried him at PG and it didnt fair well.
Yea, Texas has no playmaker and that's gonna hurt ya'll something terrible next year. Abrams has absolutely no pg ability and neitherdoes Mason.

And the hits keep on coming for Bruce Pearl and the Tennessee Vols.
I'm glad. I want Tennessee to stay near the top of the college basketball world. Bruce is doin' a good job down at Knoxville and ifRamar Smith and Crews hadn't gotten kicked off they would have been a real legit squad.

Funny how this is their only real deal out of conference game yet everybody on ole boys list has multiple top notch out of conference games.

...better get us this year at Cameron, cause '10 in DC..nobody is winnin.
I hope and pray Georgetown, UCLA, Memphis, and UNC play each other in '09 and '10 cause them recruiting classes is thicker than a snicker
eek.gif

If any year is going to be "the year", this is it.
I always give Mark Few his props cause he does it the right way for mid-majors. We got a revenge game against ya'll in Seattle. We notlosin' like we did in Boston last year, that's a promise.

That Old Spice Field is TOUGH.

Indeed. That's a serious crop of squads right there.

Anybody got the intra-conference challenge schedules (ACC vs. Big Ten, Big 12 vs. Pac-10, SEC vs. Big East)

Al3xis wrote:

2 days after by birthday
smokin.gif
, we beat em last year on my birthdayso..should be fun!

Payback for last year... good matchup
"Yea, Texas has no playmaker and that's gonna hurt ya'll something terrible next year. Abrams hasabsolutely no pg ability and neither does Mason. "

Abrams i agree with you.....Mason, in the last part of the year, ran point to move DJ off ball so he is capable distrubitor just can he make a move and get tothe rim!?! We'll see...
still i'll take him over Paulus and Frasor haha
laugh.gif
these 2 guys will BE LUCKY and i mean LUCKY to even think about the PROS!

Originally Posted by Al3xis

laugh.gif
..my fault

I could easily see Gonzaga takin at least 2, maybe 3 of those 4.

And KLJ, not to mention..

moz-screenshot.jpg
2008 Field

[table][tr][td]
Gonzaga
[/td] [td]
Maryland
[/td] [td]
Tennessee
[/td] [td]
Michigan State
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]