Computer heads, is java neccessary?

EddieWinslow1983

formerly piczon1983
What does Java do? I keep getting a message saying to update. I also heard that Java was vulnerable to viruses? School me .
smile.gif

Theoretically it isn't.

All Java is is a framework upon which applications are built. So if you don't use these applications, you'll have no need for it.

The problem is that Java is an extremely easy language to learn (almost always the first programming language that students in the field learn), and as such there is a large developer network. What does that mean for you? It means that chances are, you're going to need or want to use a program that's written in Java... in which case, you'll need the framework.

So in actuality... you kind of will need it.

Also, the "java" that you're talking about not being safe is actually "javascript", which is a scripting language that many online pages use. It's not necessarily unsafe, it's just the way that different browsers handle javascript that creates these security issues.

You should be using either Opera or FF (with the right security add-ons) in order to not have to worry about that.

laugh.gif

Yeah, java's pretty important. (for real)

Java, in the most basic terms I can think of, enables virtual platforms. It's hard to say how many programs/websites use it a lot, but you certainly want to have the latest version available.

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

Theoretically it isn't.

All Java is is a framework upon which applications are built. So if you don't use these applications, you'll have no need for it.

The problem is that Java is an extremely easy language to learn (almost always the first programming language that students in the field learn), and as such there is a large developer network. What does that mean for you? It means that chances are, you're going to need or want to use a program that's written in Java... in which case, you'll need the framework.

So in actuality... you kind of will need it.

Also, the "java" that you're talking about not being safe is actually "javascript", which is a scripting language that many online pages use. It's not necessarily unsafe, it's just the way that different browsers handle javascript that creates these security issues.

You should be using either Opera or FF (with the right security add-ons) in order to not have to worry about that.
that.

funny how this thread turned up, and im in a javascripting class right now

Back
Top Bottom