Conan O'Brien -- Free at Last

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Good for Conan. NBC will have to fire him if they want to get rid of him for Leno. I agree with Conan that changing the time slot an half-hour later willbe slap in the face to Johnny Carson. Also, I like how Letterman finally went in on Leno last night
laugh.gif

The Godfather of Late Night telling it how it is. I don't think many of you people followed late night about 15 yrs ago when this all happend with Carson,Dave, and Jay. But Jay getting spoiled seems to happen every decade. I'm happy for Conan for sticking up for himself. Hopefully in time he gets a latenight show at another broadcast (or possibly cable) soon.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

everyone is butthurt about it but conans ratings suck so nbc has no choice here. leno was beating letterman for like 13 years straight.
Leno's show was canceled, not Conan's.
It was because of a contract that was signed in early 2002 with Conan and NBC to takeover the Tonight Show from Jay Leno. Ontop of that, Conanratings were terrible since he moved to the 11:35 time slot, what do you expect NBC execs to do? At the end of the day its about money. It's a businessmove. Don't tell me you would stick with Conan and lose money if you were sitting behind that nice oakwood desk. Jay Leno has ALWAYS for years had solidratings, beating out Letterman quite easy and others. Leno = ratings and money. Leno wins. Conan got *+%!, straight up.

Also hows Jimmy doing in ratings. His show sucks but he does appeal and target that 18-35 audience that Conan has. Roots is the only reason why I even givethat show a quick glance.

Letterman is exactly right.

We'll see what happens now, Conan said he won't move at 12:05, so now it's NBC's move.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

everyone is butthurt about it but conans ratings suck so nbc has no choice here. leno was beating letterman for like 13 years straight.
Leno's show was canceled, not Conan's.
It was because of a contract that was signed in early 2002 with Conan and NBC to takeover the Tonight Show from Jay Leno. Ontop of that, Conan ratings were terrible since he moved to the 11:35 time slot, what do you expect NBC execs to do? At the end of the day its about money. It's a business move. Don't tell me you would stick with Conan and lose money if you were sitting behind that nice oakwood desk. Jay Leno has ALWAYS for years had solid ratings, beating out Letterman quite easy and others. Leno = ratings and money. Leno wins. Conan got *+%!, straight up.

Also hows Jimmy doing in ratings. His show sucks but he does appeal and target that 18-35 audience that Conan has. Roots is the only reason why I even give that show a quick glance.
Well actually, by putting Leno on at 10pm, NBC was saving huge sums of money, because his show cost far less to produce than 5 separate dramas at10pm. If it was all about money, then they should have kept him at 10. The change has come because Jay has voiced his displeasure at his time slot, and mostrecently, because affiliates have been complaining that Leno's poor ratings have been hurting their local news.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

What pisses me off about this is that SOUTHLAND was killed due to this god damn failed experiment
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
frown.gif
It's going to be on TNT now... I kept meaning to watch, worth it I assume?
From everything i've read there's no new episodes scheduled to be made.

This show was amazing. Since it's on cable it won't have the same budget, the same ratings it had. Thus, destined for death.
smh.gif
smh.gif
frown.gif

Crazy!!!

I heard Conan's getting a show on FOX from 11:00pm to 12:00pm. Man he is gonna rip NBC and Leno apart if he gets a new show.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I hope he goes to FOX, NBC treated him terribly, and I think he's gonna have more freedom on FOX.Just like Letterman did when he went to CBS.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Its official, Conan has left NBC

just saw it on the news

Nothing official yet. Conan said he will not follow Leno at 12:05 so NBC will have to fire him and pay him a lot of money to get rid of him.

Not official but, take it for what it's worth

Here is Conan's statement that he made today:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...e-in-the-destruction-of-the-tonight-show.html

Here is the lastest.
[h1]'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel[/h1]
Posted Jan 12th 2010 7:15PM by TMZ Staff

0112_leno_ex_tmz_01.jpg
Jay Leno
will get his one-hour show back, andit will be called "The Tonight Show".... sources tell TMZ.

We're told NBC honchos still have to sit down with Jay's rep and put the finishing touches on a new deal, but NBC has signed off onthe plan if Conan O'Brien leaves ... and Conan has made it clear that he's leaving the network, and not on good terms.

O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blisteringletter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."

Sources tell TMZ Jay and Conan have not spoken with each other since NBC announced the switch.

It's looking increasingly like Conan may be making a deal with Fox for a late night show from 11:00 PM to midnight.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0cSXq73jv

local news had it as breaking news
laugh.gif
something about after march,he's out.

edit: BTW, it was a fox channel...so I guess, well you get the idea
grin.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

I know I'm in the minority but I was worried about late night. It's currently my favorite after 11:30pm show.

Conan ended the letter with

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

roll.gif

Originally Posted by StackJaxx

Jay won.
Basically.

I can't front though, if Conan goes to Fox at 11PM, ill watch it. I really only watch Jay for his monologue and his second segement. Oh, and when ever hehas Halle Berry on.

i hope conan gets all his money from that contract. he was the only reason i watched nbc besides the office

Back
Top Bottom