CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS FIRED OVER NAZI SALUTE

I made $102,500 last year.
Take home is about 4500/month.
Uncle Sam is a mfer.

Then there's union dues, disability benefits, life insurance, MCU account that I ignore and 401k/deferred compensation account that I also try to ignore.

I can scale all of that back and act hoodrich but im so serious when I say I'm never going to work after my 50th birthday. The planning/sacrifices start now tho.

Yeah, NYC is a b when it comes to that BS. Im at the same, and take home is about $4400 a month with biweekly pay. It'll be even less once you have kids cause your insurance premium goes up.

So it aint like if you make 100k, you're taking home 10k a month like some idiots think, and assume you're loaded. Its $4,500 a month after taxes/401k/transportation deductions/health insurance... then you got rent, which brings you down to ~$3k. Then you got your gym, haircuts, netflix, utilities, laundry, food bills, and all that other ish.

Saving like 1k a month b. Maybe 2k if you tighten up and live frugal. On the bright side, at least I'm in an office and making excel reports instead of being outside holding a jackhammer or making dudes squat, pull their pants down, and cough.

This is rich folks fault somehow.

Making excel reports is not fun and corporate life is not wassup

Yeah, NYC is a b when it comes to that BS. Im at the same, and take home is about $4400 a month with biweekly pay. It'll be even less once you have kids cause your insurance premium goes up.

So it aint like if you make 100k, you're taking home 10k a month like some idiots think, and assume you're loaded. Its $4,500 a month after taxes/401k/transportation deductions/health insurance... then you got rent, which brings you down to ~$3k. Then you got your gym, haircuts, netflix, utilities, laundry, food bills, and all that other ish.

Saving like 1k a month b. Maybe 2k if you tighten up and live frugal. On the bright side, at least I'm in an office and making excel reports instead of being outside holding a jackhammer or making dudes squat, pull their pants down, and cough.

This is rich folks fault somehow.

lort
that would cost less than 60 in houston
this is what you can get for 500K in houston

i dont particularly like this house but to put things in perspective

is 100k in nyc a lot?

You know there's a big misconception that out of towners have about NYC, and I'm not sure where it came from. NYC isn't a magical land where dudes are paying $80 for a lineup, pay $5k in rent, and make $40 an hour at mcdonalds.

If legal money was that easy to get, it wouldn't have taken ninja 10 years to cop the jesus piece. Granted he was F'in around and blowing money on jordans and whips prolly, but it is what it is.

Its slightly more expensive than most places and you earn slightly more. I paid more to live in the nice part of Miami then I do now to live in NYC.

I'd rather file reports then be outside drilling jackhammers, getting assaulted by inmates, getting stuck with needles in the trash, sneaker reselling for chump change, driving a bus around the crazy city traffic, etc.

But whatever makes you happy man. Some folks grind on youtube, making beats, whatever, and some make it and live happily ever after, but most don't.

to each his own, I’d rather be paving which is what I do. But I’m sure most you guys don’t want to be around smelly 400 degree asphalt on a hot day.

I like my job, it isn’t for everyone and I also don’t feel bad doing it, I’m not hurting anyone or checking buttholes of men.

Is it common in your line of work to get a lot of your pay off the books which imo is favorable.

to each his own, I’d rather be paving which is what I do. But I’m sure most you guys don’t want to be around smelly 400 degree asphalt on a hot day.

I like my job, it isn’t for everyone and I also don’t feel bad doing it, I’m not hurting anyone or checking buttholes of men.

Is it common in your line of work to get a lot of your pay off the books which imo is favorable.

yes and no, I’m in union construction so when I’m in season we’re on the books. They have to pay our unemployment off season and you don’t want to mess that up with some crappy part time job so that’s why you get paid cash so you can hustle 20 hours a week and still make what you made in the summer.

now if your boss is cool and you got your own work and he’ll let you use his equipment that’s also another way to get paid cash. Like doing driveways for your neighbors or whatever.

Tbh, I’d rather work year round on the books. Only because a I’ll max out my pension faster.

most guys I work with sit on their *** all winter but that **** is depressing to me. I’d rather work and keep making money and take a few vacations. I’m off for 5 months I cant just chill. My wife will shoot me. :lol:

Last edited:
the only bad thing about union work is you might get laid off a lot as a new guy. It’s a marathon not a sprint, once you’re a full scale journeyman you’re killing it.

one of the most underrated things is the healthcare. I never have to worry about paying for that for me and my family.

I work with some women. They are nastier than the dudes. :lol:

but yeah that isn’t ordinary and it’s just because we’re in construction and they gotta be to last in this field.

I've mentioned this is other threads that talk about the same thing but any recent post-college NTers who want to break into tech feel free to swing some questions my way. Happy to PM about my experiences in tech and help guide folks into getting their foot in the door.

I know this originally was a thread about COs (lol) but again happy to help even folks who are even looking for a career pivot.

nah, outside construction work is fun, and union boys CLEANING up...

office life? nah..gimme that jack hammer lol.

Yeah, but then your back and stuff is gonna be killin you at the end of the day. Plus breathing in the dust and stuff, we breathe enough of that ish in throughout the day in this city.

biggest gripe is female presence. Blue collar you can talk that **** while working. White collar you gotta keep it hush and half the time u wanna smash half the staff

I like white collar better, having worked blue with my bro in the past. I like having women around me, it makes the energy better than having a bunch of dudes around.

I will say that all these cliche sayings about don't **** where you eat and stuff is absolutely 100% true. I thought I was the exception, then it got mad awkward and stuff later on.

I like her though, so going back in time, I'd still do it. People are nosy, but just deny and shrug, eventually the interest dies down. If they get really into your business, fight fire with fire and state that it is 100% false and you're uncomfortable and if people are talking you want to get HR involved. Gets them off your back real fast.

lort
that would cost less than 60 in houston
this is what you can get for 500K in houston

i dont particularly like this house but to put things in perspective
damn :smh:

rank????
i aint in the miltary :lol:
or a cop
i just work in a hospital

The conversation was about corrections officers.

You really thought I thought that folks need OT to make $100K in ANY job? :lol:

giphy.gif

ok good for you. you got lucky. To tell people to just get an easy job that makes money is just ******ed and you know it.
not really
bus drivers make great money
easy
train operators make great money easy
hell
theres janitors at my job
they start off at $26/hr
even the parking garage folks start off at $25
so is it EASY EASY no
but if u do ur do diligence and have a sharp mind
u can find a way
plenty of construction folks i know