Crane Collapses in Mid-Town Manhattan killing 4

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23649318/

080615-crane2-hmed-1p.widec.jpg

NEW YORK - A crane mounted to the side of a skyscraper under construction toppled with a roar Saturday, smashing into a block of apartment buildings, killing at least four people and setting off a scramble for survivors in the rubble.
The collapsing crane demolished parts of several buildings on Manhattan's East Side, appeared to have pulverized one small, brick apartment building, and sent up a huge dust cloud over the neighborhood.

Fire Department officials told NBC News that at least four people were dead and several others were taken to hospitals. An intensive, but delicate rescue operation was under way to free anyone still trapped in the rubble.

"Our bar is done," he said. "The crane crashed the whole building. If I wasn't watching a Yankees game, I would've come to work early and gotten killed."
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

About 19 of the 44 stories of the high-rise condominium had been erected, and the crane was scheduled to be extended Saturday so workers could start work on a fresh story, said an owner of the company that manages the construction site.

A piece of steel fell and sheared off one of the ties holding it to the building, causing it to detached and topple, said Stephen Kaplan, an owner of the Reliance Construction Group.

"It was an absolute freak accident," Kaplan said. "All the piece of steel had to do was fall slightly left or right, and nothing would have happened."

Kaplan said the company had subcontracted the work to different companies and was not in charge of the crane. He wasn't sure if any workers at the site were among those killed.

Neighborhood residents said they had complained to the city several times about the construction at the site, saying crews worked illegal hours and the building was going up too fast.

Nearby residents reported hearing a terrible roar as the structure detached from the condominium.
"First I heard a rumble, and it increased, and then it increased," said Bill Reilly, who lives a block away. "It continued building in strength until there was a final vroom! It shook the six-story brick building that I live in.
Wow.

R.I.P.

The big, 15-story white crane, owned by New York Crane and made and said to be at least 15 stories tall and reported by neighbors to have appeared unstable, was split a construction site of a 19-story, half-completed high-rise condiminium on East 51st Street and Second Avenue, in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Midtown Manhattan.

Stephen Kaplan, the owner of Reliance Construction Group which worked at the site, says that a "freak accident" caused a piece of steel to sheer off one of the ties that held the crane to the building, which caused the crane to detach and topple.
for
What company is this? and is it union? anyone know?

got it from here: http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=79456

There's been far too many of these accidents in NY recently
smh.gif
It might be time for some tighter regulations. RIP

Originally Posted by RavageBX

There's been far too many of these accidents in NY recently
smh.gif
It might be time for some tighter regulations. RIP

No tighter regualtions. Just enforce the ones on hand.

There were 9 open violations on that job site.

i just saw it on the news...It's really messed up how now in NY if anything explodes/makes loud noises...people automatically think it'sTerrorism....that's just a bad way of living
frown.gif

R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom