Darko would like to cement his title as biggest bust ever

[h1]Grizzlies' Darko Milicic admits he's homesick[/h1] [h2]Center longs for Europe where he can show his offensive skills[/h2]
By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Thursday, November 27, 2008

Never before has there been such talk about a free-agent period two years before it will commence.

With superstars such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh scheduled to be free agents in 2010, several NBA teams are already making moves to become major shoppers.

Grizzlies center Darko Milicic's name never enters the discussion. But that's OK with the 7-foot Serbian. He's not necessarily thinking about the NBA as a long-term proposition.

Milicic, who also will be a 2010 free agent, said his change of address could see him returning to Europe.

"I lot of days I think that," Milicic said, "because the only way to be me is in Europe. I don't want to be a defensive player the rest of my career. It's not really what I want to do."

The former No. 2 overall draft pick (2003) hasn't developed into the offensive dynamo league executives envisioned based on workouts. Expectations were high when Detroit selected Milicic ahead of Carmelo Anthony (Denver), Wade (Miami) and Bosh (Toronto).

Six seasons and three teams later, Milicic says he has been wrongly typecast as a defensive, physical center. The Grizzlies signed him as a free agent in 2007 for those reasons.

Milicic lost the starting job this season to rookie Spaniard Marc Gasol, partly based on his offensive inconsistency.

"In Europe, I can be a different player with the ball going through me," Milicic said. "Here, you take a shot and you just don't want to miss. You think too much.

"I want to get my confidence back on the offensive end. I want the ball to go through me so I can have a chance to miss without worrying about it. And I want a chance to make plays. (Europe) has good basketball, and it would be closer to home."

Milicic's salary is $7 million for this season and he will be paid $7.5 million for the 2009-10 campaign.

His role on the court, not money, will be Milicic's deciding factor, he said.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace didn't sound surprised to hear about Milicic's musings. Most European players gladly and quickly assimilate into American culture, but Milicic has resisted that urge, according to Wallace.

Griz coach Marc Iavaroni's belief is that Milicic has finally carved out a niche after an up-and-down career.

Milicic has been fairly consistent providing rebounding and strong interior defense off the bench. He's proven less reliable as a starter but seems to rise to the occasion against elite players.

Milicic harassed San Antonio's Tim Duncan into 6-for-18 shooting Monday during the Grizzlies' loss.

"Right now, for us to win Darko has to continue to be an elite defender. He's got to do as much defensive rebounding as possible, and I'd like him to block some more shots," Iavaroni said. "Offensively, when he's running the floor he's at his best. When he gets deep position, he really helps this team with deep paint catches and finishes."

Returning to Europe may not be the only remedy for Milicic's rather shaky offense.

Finishing at the rim isn't always Milicic's strong suit because he tends to play with finesse around the rim instead of dunking with authority. His shooting touch from beyond the foul line comes and goes, too.

"And he's got to make his free throws," Iavaroni said. "People are going to foul him. Finishing and making free throws is a big part of being a center. We'll get back to (having the ball go through Milicic) when I see the focus and efficiency on offense."

For now, Milicic accepts his role with the Grizzlies because he wants to win as much as satisfy those individual goals.

"It's better for the team that I come off the bench so I want to do what coach thinks is best," Milicic said. "I just go out there and play basketball."

Where that will be in 2010 could be an intriguing story.

"I used to enjoy playing and scoring," Milicic said. "This isn't the way I want to finish my career."

I just want to see him drop KG. Then he can go back home
laugh.gif

Of all the NBA players thinking about going overseas, Darko going back is definitely not a surprise

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
cosign

methree.

preface that by hoping he dies his hair blond again, then take care of business with KG.

I dont know why the Pistons picking Darko 2nd overall doesnt to this day get more press. I really feel that this move alone has changed the way the NBA hasshaken out the last five years. Its just funny that Detroit doesnt get flamed more frequently than they do. It really is a lot closer to being as bad as SamBouie as most people give credit.

^^ Winning a title against a heavy favorite kind of kills any argument.

The criticism should be directed at the Grizzlies, they gave up that pick for Otis Thorpe.

The Pistons were already a contending team, so they chose the "Project" player with a lot of upside instead of the NBA ready guys (Melo, Wade), whocould have possibly messed with chemistry/rotation/etc.

I completely hear you about the Pistons winning a Championship, but I really feel that they could have been a 3 time champion with Bosh, Wade or Melo insteadof Darko.

I don't know about that.

When they beat the Lakers, the starting lineup and necleus was:

C Ben Wallace
PF Rasheed Wallace
SF Tyshaun Prince
SG Rip Hamilton
PG Chauncey Billups

Melo, Wade and Bosh are better individual players than Rip, Prince and Sheed however they would have had to come of the bench as rookies. They would have beenat the end of the bench, getting no burn. Joe Dumars knew he was in a position to gamble, and he didn't want to mess with the rotation. That is thereason they don't get crap for it, due to the circumstances, the Darko pick made sense.

The Grizzlies though,
smh.gif

Darko's bust status is entirely mental. Nobody can tell me that he doesn't have the size, strength, or skills to play in the NBA. His elevator justdoes not go to the top floor.
smh.gif

Dude is very quick, has great footwork in the post and is a good jump shooter. Their is no way that this athletic as hell 7'0 275 pound dude should not bekilling it in the league.

Still dude is only 23 years old, I still think one day with extended minutes on a bad team he will be a good NBA player.

Basically, Darko is soft. That's all there is to it. I can see him wanting to go back to get away from the expectations, pressure, etc. because he hasshown he definitely can't handle it.

It really is a lot closer to being as bad as Sam Bouie as most people give credit.

sam bouie was the smart call at the time.

anyone who says they would have picked mj at the time is lying or stupid.

they had clyde drexler who was looking to and did become a great player, they were rounding out their roster.

as for darko, what's the ultimate goal of any team? the nba championship.

they won the chip that season so it makes the drafting of darko irrelevant.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
cosign

methree.

preface that by hoping he dies his hair blond again, then take care of business with KG.
me 4. i wanna see darko powerbomb KG headfirst onto the hardwood. that would make my night.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How in the world people put Darko over Olowokandi as the biggest bust ever blows my mind.

That's what I'm trying to see. This is the same Darko that's giving Duncan nightmare's because he couldn't do anything against him for the2nd straight game.
laugh.gif
He held Duncan to 6-18 in their first meeting and4-9 in tonight's meeting. Darko is being asked to play defense and nothing more. That's what he's upset about, but I don't see him being nogo-to-guy which is what he needs to understand. In his first start against the Spurs, he had 11pts, 11rebs, 2 stls and 2 blks. Tonight he started again and had11pts, 6rebs and a block.

Wait til he has one bad game and his confidence goes ALL the way down which is what hurts him.

Originally Posted by dland24

I completely hear you about the Pistons winning a Championship, but I really feel that they could have been a 3 time champion with Bosh, Wade or Melo instead of Darko.

Bosh yes, we didn't need Wade, and Melo would have RUINED our team

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Originally Posted by dland24

I completely hear you about the Pistons winning a Championship, but I really feel that they could have been a 3 time champion with Bosh, Wade or Melo instead of Darko.

Bosh yes, we didn't need Wade, and Melo would have RUINED our team
laugh.gif
How do you figure?

Also people fail to realize that if Bosh doesn't get as much playing time as he did in the beginning of his career he doesn't develop as fast andisn't the player he is today. Maybe if Darko and Bosh switched places they have different career paths.

People always seem to under estimate the effect of playing time on a players development, because no mater how hard Darko practiced or how hard he trained itdoesn't replace in game experience.

Darko still averaged like 6 rebounds in 20 minutes and he is still only 23.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How in the world people put Darko over Olowokandi as the biggest bust ever blows my mind.

Olowokandi was horrible, but that was not a great draft to begin with...Bibby, Carter, Jamison, and Pierce were all drafted after him...but you also had bumslike Raef LaFrentz and Tractor Trailor go in the top 10. That was a weak draft.

As for Kwame...well someone had to go #1 that year. Looking back, Joe Johnson was the best player out of that draft...Gasol has been pretty good too, andChandler took a few years before developing into a solid NBA player...so there wasn't really any clear cut #1 that year.

Darko would be a bigger bust because of the guys that were drafted after him...Carmelo, Bosh, Wade...heck, Josh Howard and Leandro Barbosawere taken at the end of the first round and both of them are way better than Darko.

Back
Top Bottom