Dating someone who isn't "driven"

I was in that exact situation for like 4 years almost. She was perfect to me. But she was not driven at all. It took its toll on me. I even tried to help her get going in the right direction. But in the end it didnt work out and we broke up. She was everything I wanted but not driven which is kind of a deal breaker

I was in that exact situation for like 4 years almost. She was perfect to me. But she was not driven at all. It took its toll on me. I even tried to help her get going in the right direction. But in the end it didnt work out and we broke up. She was everything I wanted but not driven which is kind of a deal breaker

I know a lot of people with the drive but without the opportunity.

I don't expect anyone to rest on their laurels, but to make the most out of their situation.

Should I leave my girl because she's satisfied with her bachelors and her low income job (even enticed by the idea of advancement) or should I appreciate her for making the wise decision to pay down some of that debt before undertaking her master's, especially since no one in her field is hiring and internships are scarce.

While it definitely isn't the rule, we have to start moving away from this idea of career and/or being career-oriented because a lot of young adults just aren't landing that career before age 25. At least while the economy is in the dumps.

I don't expect anyone to rest on their laurels, but to make the most out of their situation.

Should I leave my girl because she's satisfied with her bachelors and her low income job (even enticed by the idea of advancement) or should I appreciate her for making the wise decision to pay down some of that debt before undertaking her master's, especially since no one in her field is hiring and internships are scarce.

While it definitely isn't the rule, we have to start moving away from this idea of career and/or being career-oriented because a lot of young adults just aren't landing that career before age 25. At least while the economy is in the dumps.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

IMO what you're describing isn't her not being driven...like you said...thats making the most out of the situation...

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

IMO what you're describing isn't her not being driven...like you said...thats making the most out of the situation...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

balloonoboy wrote:

True. But I think OP wants his girl to be equally competent career-wise.

If he's bringing in six figures, she can't be barely breaking $30k.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

balloonoboy wrote:

True. But I think OP wants his girl to be equally competent career-wise.

If he's bringing in six figures, she can't be barely breaking $30k.

I have the opposite problem.  What to do with a girl that is too DRIVEN?!?!  Personally I don't care if she makes more money and more intelligent however the fact that she is too focus on her career which means zero or little time for me is just destroying our relationship.  Career driven women FTL!  

I have the opposite problem.  What to do with a girl that is too DRIVEN?!?!  Personally I don't care if she makes more money and more intelligent however the fact that she is too focus on her career which means zero or little time for me is just destroying our relationship.  Career driven women FTL!  

I dunno....I dated career driven women before and it has a tons of pros and cons

-when you have your own stuff going on, it balances out
-on the other hand you have to deal with them bringing that workplace aggression home, and that ++@ needs to be checked at the door. It's a huge turn off of mine.
-At least she'll be independent
-On the other hand you need to have "me" time and "us" time and when you both are doing your thing it does get hard to pace yourself

But the universal rules still applies that people will make time for whoever they like.

I dunno....I dated career driven women before and it has a tons of pros and cons

-when you have your own stuff going on, it balances out
-on the other hand you have to deal with them bringing that workplace aggression home, and that ++@ needs to be checked at the door. It's a huge turn off of mine.
-At least she'll be independent
-On the other hand you need to have "me" time and "us" time and when you both are doing your thing it does get hard to pace yourself

But the universal rules still applies that people will make time for whoever they like.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by CJ616

NT,  
How do you feel about dating someone who isn't exactly career driven?  Have you ever been in a situation where you love everything about your significant other (Personality, physical appearance, ..etc), but they just aren't up to par career-wise?  Do you consider it "shallow" to not want to date someone because of their career goals (lack thereof)?

I'm not in a situation like this, but this topic runs through my mind a lot, as a young college student.  I'm just looking for some different viewpoints.

Pics for the beasts.

NO. I consider it a wise LIFE DECISION. Dont want to mess around and get a girl like that pregnant... You'll come to reality real quick...

Just not too driven, right?

grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
I'm just messing with you, bruh.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by CJ616

NT,  
How do you feel about dating someone who isn't exactly career driven?  Have you ever been in a situation where you love everything about your significant other (Personality, physical appearance, ..etc), but they just aren't up to par career-wise?  Do you consider it "shallow" to not want to date someone because of their career goals (lack thereof)?

I'm not in a situation like this, but this topic runs through my mind a lot, as a young college student.  I'm just looking for some different viewpoints.

Pics for the beasts.

NO. I consider it a wise LIFE DECISION. Dont want to mess around and get a girl like that pregnant... You'll come to reality real quick...

Just not too driven, right?

grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
I'm just messing with you, bruh.

roll.gif

Most girls go for the non-goal oriented guys nowadays, so it''s the norm.

I'm use to it.

in 2011,

Bad guys > Good guys

I'm use to it.

in 2011,

Bad guys > Good guys

Originally Posted by Demps

I wonder how my girl feels about this.

She goes to school and works, while I stay at home and scratch my balls.

pimp.gif

It's only a matter of time.  Once she graduates etc, she will have no choice but to cut ties. 

Originally Posted by Demps

I wonder how my girl feels about this.

She goes to school and works, while I stay at home and scratch my balls.

pimp.gif

It's only a matter of time.  Once she graduates etc, she will have no choice but to cut ties. 

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm use to it.

in 2011,

Bad guys > Good guys
that type of box will enable you..i personally need something to make me want to be better.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm use to it.

in 2011,

Bad guys > Good guys
that type of box will enable you..i personally need something to make me want to be better.

Back
Top Bottom