Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Is the stars and bars motif offensive?
We are arguing about harm not offensiveness.
People have the right to be offended about anything.

I don't have a problem with a trans person or any person finding Dave's bits offensive.

We're talking about harm, who get to decide what's harmful.

Kanye doesn't seem to think the stars and bars is harmful, does he get to decide?

He's a member of "the group" does he get to decide?
unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

You're going around pretending like you don't understand the answer.

Apparently not, since Kanye West once sported it on a jacket.

Who gets to decides whether it is harmful to call women *****es and ****? Some women don't have a problem with that, they're not a monolith on the issue.

1. You haven't given an answer.

2. So you belive rap music is harmful because it calls women *****es right?

Again I would have a when lot more respect for this line of reasoning if it was applied consistently.

You are for pro some elightned censorship, which is fine
just say it with your chest and stop going in circles.

Again, just don't joke about anything LGBT related since there is no clear cut line drawn that shouldn't be crossed.
No, that's not what's being said.

There are lines that some folks don't want to recognize, and when they get called out for crossing them, they act like those lines get crossed all the time with other groups without consequences.

For example, very few white comics can joke about black stuff properly, and they are able to pull it off because they do their homework if they are not part of the culture. Those who can't suffer setbacks from boos from the audience to being blackballed by the industry.

They can't answer what specifically is going to lead to harm.
Disrespect. It is a necessary prerequisite for violence.

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford made that point earlier: in an environment of sustained disrespect towards trans people, a public figure normalizing disrespectful language against and doubling down on it to piss off the gays should be cause for concern.

It's not that hard to grasp.

I'm not saying that is what IS being said.

I am saying that is the BEST bet since what IS and ISN'T allowed isn't clear.

Unless you are an S-Level comedian, it is absolutely STUPID for you to speak on this topic in a special.

For example, very few white comics can joke about black stuff properly, and they are able to pull it off because they do their homework if they are not part of the culture. Those who can't suffer setbacks from boos from the audience to being blackballed by the industry.

We aren't there yet with LGBT "jokes."

You know that. The risk HEAVILY outweighs the reward.

There are lines that some folks don't want to recognize, and when they get called out for crossing them, they act like those lines get crossed all the time with other groups without consequences.

Disrespect. It is a necessary prerequisite for violence.

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford made that point earlier: in an environment of sustained disrespect towards trans people, a public figure normalizing disrespectful language against and doubling down on it to piss off the gays should be cause for concern.

It's not that hard to grasp.
You're not answering. :lol:

Call it dehumanization, call it disrespect.
Whatever adjective you want to determine harm.

who. gets. to. decide.

Who decides what is disrespect and what is comedy? You keep saying it's simple, just say it then. Who gets to decide?

And the same frame work has been applied to every provocative art form,
from 90s gangster rap to comic books in the 1950s.

The parallels are obvious, people just don't see it
Because they don't want to look at themselve as the censorious villains in a movie :lol:

I thinks thats problem Dave has. You can talk about anybody except _____”. Why do they get a pass?

DAVE can joke about it. We've seen nothing will happen to HIM.

Everyone else, move with caution.

They have the moment, get over IT.

I thinks thats problem Dave has. You can talk about anybody except _____”. Why do they get a pass?

That's where this ultimately leads.

It is not appropriate to joke about trans people
unless the premise, language and construction of the joke

validates a political, and ideological framework that is supported by only like the most educated 10% of the country.

Any deviation from this is "harm"
Why? because we said so.

dave can talk his shh.. and they can respond

just like white people can say the N word.. there may be consequences

It really shouldn't matter what the group thinks or doesn't (unless running for office / public figure or sum).

No group is a monolith.

It only matters what the individual you're interacting with considers offensive.

Makes me think of when white folks / women aske me questions about being Black / male.

I can only speak for myself (not all Black Men).

Those that do claim to speak for an entire group register to me as:

argumentum ad populum (plural argumenta ad populum) (rhetoric) A fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or all people believe it; it alleges that “if many believe so, it is so”.

or

argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate), also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.

because I am not a member of that group.

It is not imcubent upon me to speak on things of which I have no knowledge.

Just ask the person in front of you how they feel and keep it at that.

Give them enough respect to see them as an individual.

Do unto others...

We gotta make room for all the facts, not just the ones that comport with our bias / cognitive dissonance...

UPENYNAX3BXXYUBCULDXL42CC4.jpg

BZ9YCoGIAAAaje3.jpg

Ain’t hard for you as a black man to assume the majority of black people ain’t cool with white people using or calling them the N word

or making monkey references

or any of the clearly dumb shh

Ain’t hard for you as a black man to assume the majority of black people ain’t cool with white people using or calling them the N word

or making monkey references

or any of the clearly dumb shh

People so focused on right and wrong that they forget all about true and false.

Actually form a disdain for facts.

Hooked on feelings.

Ex:

"Ain’t hard for you as a black man to assume the majority of black people ain’t cool with white people using or calling them the N word"

Of course its hard...

I mean what happens when I drive off bumping "Jigga my N...." :lol:

the mental conflict that occurs when a person's behaviors and beliefs do not align = cognitive dissonance

Last edited:
If I white person came to me after watching Louis CK N-word jokes

and said,

"this is harmful, YOU are being harmed by this guy using the n-word"
"and as an ally im going to protect you from this dehumanizing language by letting everyone
know how harmful and dangerous these jokes are. "

I would find that infantilizing, insulting, and more "disrespectful" than the jokes themselves.

If a white person is willing to check their friends, cool with me

i don’t need them to explain to me why

i ain’t going be at a Louis ck show or watch it

and to go to the Michael Che joke we saw folks legit get worked up because some people had the nerve to say black lives “matter”

words like “matter” and “equal” are controversial to some people

DAVE can joke about it. We've seen nothing will happen to HIM.

Everyone else, move with caution.

They have the moment, get over IT.
You realize black people have never had that “moment”. Yea, they can’t say the N word(in front of certain people), but everything else is fair game. Thats one of the points Dave was trying to make.
dave can talk his shh.. and they can respond

just like white people can say the N word.. there may be consequences
And that maybe the problem the LBGQT community has with Dave. There hasn’t really been any consequences for Dave. Someone tried, but we know how that turned out.

Does anyone remember the original joke that got us here?

it was a direct response to the post directly above it

this:
You misunderstand what I'm asking. This entire topic and side ones stem from Dave and his special. A lot of examples and stand in explanations are being used for it. I know what Osh is saying seeing as he can tie all that back in to his defense of his stance.

But surely you're not doing the same, right?

You misunderstand what I'm asking. This entire topic and side ones stem from Dave and his special. A lot of examples and stand in explanations are being used for it. I know what Osh is saying seeing as he can tie all that back in to his defense of his stance.

But surely you're not doing the same, right?

Every single post doesn't need to mention or reference Dave for it to be relevant

You realize black people have never had that “moment”. Yea, they can’t say the N word(in front of certain people), but everything else is fair game. Thats one of the points Dave was trying to make.

It is what it is man. Even saying what you said ^ can strike a nerve with some. ( They like to call it "whatAboutIsm ). Don't take it as me not hearing what you are saying but I am just saying nothing can/will be done about IT. Just deal with it.

Does anyone remember the original joke that got us here?

Nope. Nobody has answered this question.

Anytime I have asked, I've gotten a run around answer.

Back
Top Bottom