Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
You misunderstand what I'm asking. This entire topic and side ones stem from Dave and his special. A lot of examples and stand in explanations are being used for it. I know what Osh is saying seeing as he can tie all that back in to his defense of his stance.

But surely you're not doing the same, right?

I directly addressed something he said

dave is almost 50 and can’t handle the criticisms of high school children from over half a year ago.. If I have a stance on Dave it’s that he needs to let shh go this whole controversy probably would have died if he let it

I am saying that is the BEST bet since what IS and ISN'T allowed isn't clear.

Unless you are an S-Level comedian, it is absolutely STUPID for you to speak on this topic in a special.
Part of the narrative that we shouldn't pay attention to how we speak about LGBT issues is based on the untrue assumption that the line folks shouldn't cross is unclear, when there are no name, straight comedians who make LGBT jokes that are funny without being disrespectful to them all over Youtube. If Dave Chappelle doesn't know where that line is, he can reach out to them and ask for pointers.

If I white person came to me after watching Louis CK N-word jokes

and said,

"this is harmful, YOU are being harmed by this guy using the n-word"
"and as an ally im going to protect you from this dehumanizing language by letting everyone
know how harmful and dangerous these jokes are. "

I would find that infantilizing, insulting, and more "disrespectful" than the jokes themselves.
Except that the complaints about Chappelle's special first came from within the trans community. They didn't need cis saviors to point out to them why they should be offended.

Part of the narrative that we shouldn't pay attention to how we speak about LGBT issues is based on the untrue assumption that the line folks shouldn't cross is unclear, when there are no name, straight comedians who make LGBT jokes that are funny without being disrespectful to them all over Youtube. If Dave Chappelle doesn't know where that line is, he can reach out to them and ask for pointers.

Post some examples because I am not sure of these people/jokes.

Please post examples without giving an avoidance/run around type response please.

Let me see how these jokes come off and let me also see the comments below.

That's where this ultimately leads.

It is not appropriate to joke about black people
unless the premise, language and construction of the joke

validates a political, and ideological framework that is supported by only like the most educated 10% of the country.

Any deviation from this is "harm"
Why? because we said so.
This comment wouldn't be out of place int he 1800s

That's where this ultimately leads.

It is not appropriate to joke about working women
unless the premise, language and construction of the joke

validates a political, and ideological framework that is supported by only like the most educated 10% of the country.

Any deviation from this is "harm"
Why? because we said so.
And this one would fit in well in the letter to the editor section of the NYT in the 1950s.

Except that the complaints about Chappelle's special first came from within the trans community. They didn't need cis saviors to point out to them why they should be offended

ask for pointers FROM WHO?

who is the "trans community"?

the highly educated activist whose views are most prevalent in the media?
and you're sure they represent "the trans community", why are you confident of this?

its just reeks of presumptuous flattening of a non monolithic community to justify your own censorious instincts.

you don't seem to know which part of the special are causing harm,
you can't name specifically who gets decide what is harmful.

you want us to take your word for it, im sorry thats not good enough.
and it's not persuasive to anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

I think The original joke had something to do with the "blind acceptance" of identity and I think he compared it to a white person identitying as a chinese person

This comment wouldn't be out of place int he 1800s

And this one would fit in well in the letter to the editor section of the NYT in the 1950s.

what an absurd reach,
you can't answer basic questions about your position.
so you continue with vague gesturing to give your argument moral weight.

in the closer uses plenty of crude and offensive language about black people
and he uses plenty of crude and potentially offensive language about women.

but I don't actually hear anyone arguing that it's "harmful" on those grounds.

it's only this one group that generates these claims of "harm"
so the obvious implications is that trans people need to be infantilized
and can't be the subject to the same type of comedy that every other minority group on the planet is the subject of.

if you think daves types of comedy is just not acceptable full stop on every subject, fine just say that.
but if not you are applying a special standard to trans people.

I directly addressed something he said

dave is almost 50 and can’t handle the criticisms of high school children from over half a year ago.. If I have a stance on Dave it’s that he needs to let shh go this whole controversy probably would have died if he let it
I don't really see a controversy with the school thing and don't see it as relevant.

I was referring to this words = violence talk and the example of Trump you used in your post to say it is a fact that it is true. I obviously bring up Dave cuz what's being said is that jokes about trans ppl lead to violence to that that community.

These things are not the same. These things are not even similar.

There also seems to be a huge disconnect between what's actually said and the type of ppl that commit these acts of violence. Same way the narrative of video games having violence in game at leads to school shootings rang false.

id highly recommend jerrod Carmichael‘s recent special

Please give me links to the , "no name, straight comedians who make LGBT jokes that are funny without being disrespectful to them all over Youtube. "

That is what I am looking for. JC can cross that line now that he has come out so he definitely doesn't qualify.

Also since many of you have equated being offensive = leading to violence/hate crimes against trans people, can a TRANS or LGBT affiliated comedian's words (jokes) also lead to "violence/hate crimes against trans people" ??

Please explain directly.

ask for pointers FROM WHO?
It's spelled out in the comment you're replying to. Read it again.
who is the "trans community"?
I don't know, who's the black community?
the highly educated activist whose views are most prevalent in the media?
and you're sure they represent "the trans community", why are you confident of this?
Why are you confident that Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow coalition represent the black community? Why not the Nation of Islam? Why not the association of Black CEOs? Why not the various black gun owner clubs?
its just reeks of presumptuous flattening of a non monolithic community to justify your own censorious instincts.
Again, learn how to read because you're arguing against statements I never made.

you don't seem to know which part of the special are causing harm,
you can't name specifically who gets decide what is harmful.
You can't understand what you read.

I did point out the ways in which some of the things he said promote an unsafe environment for trans people. Other commenters pointed out the same thing. What has never been said by me is that there is a direct cause-effect relationship. But again, you want to play dumb.
you want us to take your word for it, im sorry thats not good enough.
and it's not persuasive to anyone who doesn't already agree with you.
None of your replies are addressing any of the points I made or the context in which they're made, so there's no point in continuing this back and forth.

"Act like a normal person" will be taken out of context and used against him. He also is up there calling "certain" black women b-words.

If he ever blows up, this will come back to bite him. Save this post.

But for the most part, he played it safe by mentioning how homophobic his father was so he presented as an "ally."

Wasn't unfunny, but it was cool observational humor.

Yea, that was good.

I mess with dude. I need to look up more of his stuff. TOo many quotables. :lol:

Last edited:
dave can talk his shh.. and they can respond

just like white people can say the N word.. there may be consequences

So the issue with this comparison is the N-word has BEEN established as the line that shouldn't be crossed. That has been agreed upon by the entire society we live in. The same can't be said about the jokes Dave made because there isn't a consensus on WHICH jokes were/weren't acceptable.

I know you (not JUST you) understand that but for some reason, "Do all black people need to agree that the N-Word is unacceptable for a white person to know NOT to say it" keeps being used as a response.

So please, stop comparing SLURS (established no-no) to JOKES (UNestablished things said that haven't even been agreed upon as being off-limits)

He did

People just want to hand wave it away because "them" in this scenario disagreed with others in the community so they guilted her by proclaiming that she was doing a disservice to the entire community, you know, by labeling her as an enemy of justice and equality

Sadly she's dead now
"Them" was referring to other members of his tribe - comics, specifically straight comics - who can make LGBT jokes that don't cross the line.

"Them" was referring to other members of his tribe - comics, specifically straight comics - who can make LGBT jokes that don't cross the line.

Again, you fail to realize there isn't a "line" that has been established when it comes to LGBT "jokes."

All it takes is for one person to get a Tweet Avalanche started for ANY LGBT related joke to "cross the line."

Not sure why yall keep finding ways to avoid acknowledging that.

But yall got it.

I tap out.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't matter what the group thinks or doesn't (unless running for office / public figure or sum).

No group is a monolith.

It only matters what the individual you're interacting with considers offensive.

Makes me think of when white folks / women aske me questions about being Black / male.

I can only speak for myself (not all Black Men).

Those that do claim to speak for an entire group register to me as:

argumentum ad populum (plural argumenta ad populum) (rhetoric) A fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or all people believe it; it alleges that “if many believe so, it is so”.

or

argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate), also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.

because I am not a member of that group.

It is not imcubent upon me to speak on things of which I have no knowledge.

Just ask the person in front of you how they feel and keep it at that.

Give them enough respect to see them as an individual.

Do unto others...

We gotta make room for all the facts, not just the ones that comport with our bias / cognitive dissonance...

UPENYNAX3BXXYUBCULDXL42CC4.jpg

BZ9YCoGIAAAaje3.jpg

You got aepps20 aepps20 up here front and center

"Act like a normal person" will be taken out of context and used against him. He also is up there calling "certain" black women b-words.

If he ever blows up, this will come back to bite him. Save this post.

But for the most part, he played it safe by mentioning how homophobic his father was so he presented as an "ally."

Wasn't unfunny, but it was cool observational humor.

Yea, that was good.

I mess with dude. I need to look up more of his stuff. TOo many quotables. :lol:
I don't think any of those skits are Teflon tbh. I find them funny and didn't think they were offensive but that doesn't matter if someone else does.

Back
Top Bottom