Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
It aint really the L or the G or the B though...

Its the T.

Gay Men, Lesbian Women, and Bisexuals seem to be...

rupaul-meh-meh.gif

...when it comes to outrage over Dave Chappelle's comedy.

I have two lesbian friends, three bisexual friends, and my cousin was gay.

All of them are Black.

None of them could even tell me what GLAAD is, does, or name even one member.

All 5 of them love Dave Chappelle and saw no issue with his jokes.

My deceased cousin probably would feel the same.

LGBT isn't as united as some would think in the real world...especially once race is factored in.

So the issue with this comparison is the N-word has BEEN established as the line that shouldn't be crossed. That has been agreed upon by the entire society we live in. The same can't be said about the jokes Dave made because there isn't a consensus on WHICH jokes were/weren't acceptable.

I know you (not JUST you) understand that but for some reason, "Do all black people need to agree that the N-Word is unacceptable for a white person to know NOT to say it" keeps being used as a response.

So please, stop comparing SLURS (established no-no) to JOKES (UNestablished things said that haven't even been agreed upon as being off-limits)

it’s an easy example to compare slurs, because they are obvious.. for some

but it wasn’t that long ago the S and F words were freely used on regular ole tv or other stuff we now except as slurs towards others

but i do use the example of monkeys as well.. I also referenced the former Washington football team name and a US senator threw that shh out yesterday when questioning goodell

aint no question that’s a slur and what consequences is that white man going suffer?

native americans are a group with not much power.. I have said many times I don’t blame any group that has historically taken shh and stuff we all should know is foul has been accepted and allowed and they get some power and not entertaining shh

i don’t blame the Jews for responding strongly when shh happens, make it publicly known they ain’t going entertain shh.. the holocaust was less than 100 years ago

It's spelled out in the comment you're replying to. Read it again.

I don't know, who's the black community?

Why are you confident that Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow coalition represent the black community? Why not the Nation of Islam? Why not the association of Black CEOs? Why not the various black gun owner clubs?

im not, I don't presume any of these people are.
just like i don't presume defund the police activist represent the opinions of black people generally. (they don't)

this is mistake that constantly gets made, presuming the activists YOU like,
represent the opinions of the group. when often time they they do not and the truth is more complicated.

you want me to believe the people that you like and agree with,
and you're trying to pretend like there is some high minded rationale.

this trans sex worker, the person thoeretically most at risk of getting murdered
thinks the special is okay does her opinion count? or is she the outlier?

is she the nation of islam in this analogy? have you investigated this?
how would you even know?

it just seems obvious that the trans progressive activist is the one who gets to decide what is harmful.
but you just don't want to come out and say it.

I did point out the ways in which some of the things he said promote an unsafe environment for trans people. Other commenters pointed out the same thing. What has never been said by me is that there is a direct cause-effect relationship. But again, you want to play dumb.

please you can't point to anything from the special that directly leads to harm.
your argument for it being harmful is circular and relies on fallacious appeals to authority.

and you can't even identify the authority that your fallaciously appealing to.

LGBT in the 80's = Fighting for their lives

LGBT in the 90's = Fighting for recognition

LGBT in the 00's = Fighting for equality

LGBT in the 10's = Fighting for legal representation

LGBT in the 20's = Fighting comedians

Now that's progress.

I bet the LGBT of the 80's wished they could cancel AIDS on twitter.

LGBT in the 80's = Fighting for their lives

LGBT in the 90's = Fighting for recognition

LGBT in the 00's = Fighting for equality

LGBT in the 10's = Fighting for legal representation

Now that's progress.

I bet the LGBT of the 80's wished they could cancel AIDS on twitter.

and what's crazy is that LGBTQ youth are reporting record low metal health despite

highest level of taboo against any homophobic language.
multiplying gender categories.
no HIV and AIDS crisis being ignored by the government.
record high levels of acceptance.
basically all the legal battles won.

That has been agreed upon by the entire society we live in
Are you sure? Is this why there is media out there with millions of cumulative views/retweets/likes/comments questioning why non-black people can't say the word?

Or, picture this:

Earlier this week, a New York City man named Rob Carmona was being sued by a former employee named Brandi Johnson, who said that Carmona harassed her and other employees. The story gained national attention because of what Carmona was heard saying on a recording Johnson made to document the abuse at the office.

"I'm gonna give it to you hard-core," Carmona was heard saying on the recording. "You and her are very bright ... but y'all act like ******s ... seriously."

Oh, yeah: Both Johnson, the employee, and Carmona, her boss, are black. The federal jury hearing the case awarded Johnson $280,000 in damages

The reason why the use of the n-word is often brought up as a response is because there is still ambiguity around its use and its value as a word (offensive? not offensive?), which is highly dependent on context.

There's no line here either. The difference between the n-word and the use of offensive language directed at LGBT folks is that we make a better effort at understanding how the larger context of the discussion plays into the meaning/symbolism of the words. The only people who say "it's best not to joke about black folks at all" are often the same folks who usually say very suspect things about black people.

This is why I also copied osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh comment about trans folks and replaced the subject - trans - with "black folks" and "working women" and respectfully placed them in the context of antebellum America and the 1950s.

And this is not true:

and what's crazy is that LGBTQ youth are reporting record low metal health despite

highest level of taboo against any homophobic language.
multiplying gender categories.
no HIV and AIDS crisis being ignored by the government.
record high levels of acceptance.

Its the human condition Fam.

“Hard times create strong men,

strong men create good times,

good times create weak men,

and weak men create hard times.”

The quote, from a postapocalyptic novel by the author G. Michael Hopf, sums up a stunningly pervasive cyclical vision of history

He said all legal battles are basically won. Do they not get news in Canada?
Are people even paying attention to what Republicans are doing on the state level? Sheesh

im talking about basic civil rights post oberfel and bostock.

how should you regulate youth gender transition medicine,
or how to regulate trans people in women sports.
how do you regulate teaching about gender or sex in schools

is different than basic civil rights.

and the drop LGBTQ youth mental health has been declining before this recent spate of LGBTQ legislation.

1656006504552.png

1656006757259.png

-I dunno if I told you in 2015

- all their basic civil right will be vindicated by the supreme court.
- lgbtq people will be more represented in film and tv than their numbers in the general population
- there will be heavy cultural stigma towards any explicitly anti lgbt content
- lots of taboo around speech when it relates to lgbt
- more gender expression categories.
- the absorption of queer and gender ideology in many major media and arts institutions.
- a massive increase in the number of gender clinics
- the widespread adoption of gender affirming care model

would you have thought LGBT mental health would go up or down in the subsequent years?
this outcome doesn't seem curious to you at all?

Are you sure? Is this why there is media out there with millions of cumulative views/retweets/likes/comments questioning why non-black people can't say the word?

Or, picture this:

The reason why the use of the n-word is often brought up as a response is because there is still ambiguity around its use and its value as a word (offensive? not offensive?), which is highly dependent on context.

There's no line here either. The difference between the n-word and the use of offensive language directed at LGBT folks is that we make a better effort at understanding how the larger context of the discussion plays into the meaning/symbolism of the words. The only people who say "it's best not to joke about black folks at all" are often the same folks who usually say very suspect things about black people.

This is why I also copied osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh comment about trans folks and replaced the subject - trans - with "black folks" and "working women" and respectfully placed them in the context of antebellum America and the 1950s.

And this is not true:

Was being facetious

also

Cancelling Dave Chappelle is the solution to defeating legislation?

rightfully? :lol:

so you think the current context for LGBTQ people in america.
is the same or similar to antebellum america or women in the 1950's?

you can't be serious

im talking about basic civil rights post oberfel and bostock.

how should you regulate youth gender transition medicine,
or how to regulate trans people in women sports.
how do you regulate teaching about gender or sex in schools

is different than basic civil rights.

Some of them are just not for youth, Florida's Medicaid rulemaking decisions seeks to extend to adults on Medicaid.

While there is more debate regarding kids' transition, from what I recall adults' transition has a strong track record of benefiting patients. The legal criteria seem to be there for adults' care to be protected at least given how the law is written. I would think access to state provide medical coverage is a civil right.

Texas rule now classifies gender-affirming care as child abuse. And providers are reporting parents. The kids don't even need to be seeking puberty blockers. Parents have been targeted for letting their kids transition socially.

Do you think parents being put under investigation and being under threat of their kids being taken away for letting their kids transition without full due process is not an issue of civil rights?

Teachers losing their jobs because of classroom stuff. Not just teaching it as part of the curriculum. Discussions generally are banned. Kids ask them questions, they answer them, and for little stuff like hanging artwork in classrooms kids made or handing out pride bracelets to kids that ask for them, they are getting clipped. I think labor protections are a civil right too.

Not only that, there are a host of more restrictive bills that have passed one chamber of statehouse that are being held up because a few conservatives don't want to pull the trigger. You feel confident after a red wave delivers more nuts to statehouses this fall that this will hold?

Regulate is doing a lot of work here, narrowing the criteria of what is a threat to people's quality of life, and ignoring the administrative state exists, to downplay the threat of conservatives.

A group you have called dangerous, sociopaths, and generally psychopathic.

That is what I am talking about. Not denying progress is made, I am saying framing it misses the fact that a threat exists and it is getting worse.

Roe being about to shot down should also be proof that civil rights gains are not locked into place permanently, black sliding is always a threat too.

Last edited:
It aint really the L or the G or the B though...

Its the T.

Gay Men, Lesbian Women, and Bisexuals seem to be...

rupaul-meh-meh.gif

...when it comes to outrage over Dave Chappelle's comedy.

I have two lesbian friends, three bisexual friends, and my cousin was gay.

All of them are Black.

None of them could even tell me what GLAAD is, does, or name even one member.

All 5 of them love Dave Chappelle and saw no issue with his jokes.

My deceased cousin probably would feel the same.

LGBT isn't as united as some would think in the real world...especially once race is factored in.

Some of them are just not for youth, Florida's Medicaid rulemaking decisions seeks to extend to adults on Medicaid.

While there is more debate regarding kids' transition, from what I recall adults' transition has a strong track record of benefiting patients. The legal criteria seem to be there for adults' care to be protected at least given how the law is written. I would think access to state provide medical coverage is a civil right.

Texas rule now classifies gender-affirming care as child abuse. And providers are reporting parents. The kids don't even need to be seeking puberty blockers. Parents have been targeted for letting their kids transition socially.

Do you think parents being put under investigation and being under threat of their kids being taken away for letting their kids transition without full due process is not an issue of civil rights?

Teachers losing their jobs because of classroom stuff. Not just teaching it as part of the curriculum. Discussions generally are banned. Kids ask them questions, they answer them, and for little stuff like hanging artwork in classrooms kids made or handing out pride bracelets to kids that ask for them, they are getting clipped. I think labor protections are a civil right too.

Not only that, there are a host of more restrictive bills that have passed one chamber of statehouse that are being held up because a few conservatives don't want to pull the trigger. You feel confident after a red wave delivers more nuts to statehouses this fall than conservatives?

Regulate is doing a lot of work here, narrowing the criteria of what is a threat to people's quality of life, and ignoring the administrative state exists, to downplay the threat of conservatives.

A group you have called dangerous, sociopaths, and generally psychopathic.

That is what I am talking about. Not denying progress is made, I am saying framing it misses the fact that a threat exists and it is getting worse.

Roe being about to shot down should also be proof that civil rights gains are not locked into place permanently, black sliding is always a threat too.

il grant most of this, but I don't think it's dispositive of the broader point.

the lgbtq rights movment has been incredibly effective and tremendous progress has been made, I think that is inarguable.

and LGBTQ mental health is worse than ever, and the decline started before these recent legal challenges.

i don't think it's clear these recent laws are whats causing this,
so I think it's still a strange outcome that I would not have predicted.

Right, yet people keep on not seeing the forest for the trees.

Pretty obvious that that poster sees the trees... Since they're blaming exactly who's responsible

"why can't they see that Dave is responsible for this..."

Apparently loose responsibility only applies to Dave and not other forms of media or groups because "reasons"

Last edited:
and the drop LGBTQ youth mental health has been declining before this recent spate of LGBTQ legislation.

1656006504552.png

1656006757259.png

-I dunno if I told you in 2015

- all their basic civil right will be vindicated by the supreme court.
- lgbtq people will be more represented in film and tv than their numbers in the general population
- there will be heavy cultural stigma towards any explicitly anti lgbt content
- lots of taboo around speech when it relates to lgbt
- more gender expression categories.
- the absorption of queer and gender ideology in many major media and arts institutions.
- a massive increase in the number of gender clinics
- the widespread adoption of gender affirming care model

would you have thought LGBT mental health would go up or down in the subsequent years?
this outcome doesn't seem curious to you at all?
My thought on this:

-The first graph shows that the phenomena have been happening across the board. And from where the data started on LGBT group it is a 2.6 difference between the increase and the LGBTQ category and the entire sample. You didn't link to the study, so I don't know the margin of error, but 3 is generally seen as a pretty low one for things like these. So it could be the difference between the two groups could be statistically insignificant. This would lead to the only takeaway being that all high school students are feeling more unhappy.

-In fact, women seem to have the highest increase from the LGBTQ starting point. A lot of positive things have happened with women's rights during that time

-LGBT category is a broad category so we don't know how it is broken out. Given the sample, what could be driving this might be the feelings of transgender kids or just homosexual kids. And I would think locations matter. Being gay in affluent blue suburbs and urban areas is probably different than doing that is suburban Utad and rural America. Not saying this to hand wave, just that things matter generally.

-I guess the second part is supposed to say that given all this happening, you would expect a different outcome. But High school students have a very short reference point for progress than an adult.

If I would guess, social media has a big role to play. That while it can magnify good things, it also does the same with negative things. So LGBT kids might be getting exposed to a disproportionately high amount of hostility online relative to the general public. Also, they are in high school, social media makes cyberbullying much easier. So yeah, they have it easier as far as how bad previous generations had it on the civil rights front. I would agree, but there are things much different than the world Gen-Xers, most millennials, grew up in; the media students consumer. That could play a part.

Like I said, the shift among girls seems to be higher too (again could not be in reality). Women have had some high-profile culture wins over this period as well, and they still feel ******. So this lack of uniqueness makes me less convinced that we should see a different outcome with the LGBT group.

I mean just guess here, but if someone said that the growing hostilities toward LGBT kids in some areas of society is landing harder on kids than the progress made in other areas. On aggregate society is progressing, but people feel worst being the realities of a high school kid are unique.

A major thing is Behavioral Econ is about this. That is what is salient to people motivates their feelings and behaviors even though rationally you would expect a different outcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom