Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
But dude got canceled from society…

and I don’t personally know a lot of people from that community, it could have been a big thing amongst them for all I know
Auto-play or it didn’t happen.

unfortunately, look at school shootings.. because those happen all the damn time now they really only remain a big story for a day or two.. people have seemingly already moved on from that shooting in Texas on Wednesday
Doesn't this strategy feel familiar?

“People care more about Roseanne’s joke than murders in Chicago” sounds like every Fox News host’s opening diatribe.

I’m not sure why so many people who ought to know better refuse to see that they're resorting to the same miserable tactic.

The toxic core of this is the belief that trans people are just White people who are choosing to go against the grain and competing with other groups for acceptance/progress, as if equality is a finite resource that can only be dispensed one sub-population at a time.

Dave has reformulated this belief multiple times now. "If we'd just (insert crude gay/trans stereotype) we would've been safer/more free."

Redundantly, we don't live single issue lives.

There are some White feminists who are resentful that Black men gained the right to vote before White women. (If only in theory. Voting rights in practice were - and are - another matter.) Black men were not the reason White women were denied suffrage. If anything, the expansion of the electorate to become more inclusive than just White, male landowners helped women finally gain voting rights. A White woman would've been elected President of the United States had the majority of White women supported her instead of an alleged rapist.

The "zero sum" framing is utterly counterproductive, divisive to the point of disempowerment, and has been central to Russian troll farms' disinformation campaigns designed, ultimately, to benefit White nationalist candidates and weaken the United States.

You don't seem to want to respond to the central question

Is the evidence behind this talking point of 35 year old life expectancy or the sky high trans murder rate in anyway comparable
to the vaccines that have gone through double blind experiments, and have been studied by every major health institution on the planet earth??
That's the "central question?" No, that's your smokescreen.

You're trying to drag the argument to a debate over a particular statistic - which I did not even cite in this topic – to distract from the broader, and undeniably valid, point that trans people, and especially Black trans people, are subject to hate crimes, suicide, and violence disproportionate to their share of the population. The links I included were all from reputable outlets, among them a list by the HRC of trans people who were murdered last year. That list alone is more than sufficient evidence to demonstrate that violence against trans people is a problem, with or without the one stat you're "just asking questions" about, and yet you've decided that it would be enjoyable to bring to the discussion an article from the equivalent of trutheagle.gun pinched out by somebody who characterizes hate crimes against trans people as a hoax.

You are simultaneously attempting to dismiss a statistic as being “unscientific” compared to medical research while attempting to substantiate your own view by plopping a few keywords into Google to see if anyone out there in the world will validate your prejudices for you. When you managed to find two, your “work” was done.

That is why I compared your “research” to that of anti-vaxxers. You weren't looking to inform yourself; you were groping around for anything that fit your preconceived argument.

Tell us: did you even read the links you posted? Were you aware that the author of one is a MAGA supporter playing Sandy Hook truther with hate crimes against trans people?
And you, of all people, have the temerity to question anyone else's sources?

this is instructive you keep shifting the argument to totally different instead of addressing the content of the The Closer.
It's instructive that you're trying to talk about a life expectancy statistic that wasn't central to in any post in this thread and ignoring the many references to specific statements included in "The Closer."

But that's what we've come to expect from you.

The dear white people show runner suggested the special needs to be amended or censored in some way.
Stop using her to dismiss the actual issue, as if only privileged White people care or are affected by this:

im not some anti woke scold
Search NikeTalk for the phrase "elite manners" or "fancy manners."

but right now im not convinced The Closer is at all a reasonable place for that line to be draw.
Breaking news: cishet man thinks anti-trans humor isn't a big deal.

It's like asking John Rocker if he has an issue with Chief Wahoo.

This subject, like most of the things you bicker about, doesn't affect you directly. You say you're not a Joe Rogan fan, but you go into the Joe Rogan thread on a message board and defend him. You don't live in the United States, but you want to argue with people who do because you think our desire to defund the police goes "too far."

You seem to find amusement in watching people get worked up to combat the low-effort, low-information contrarian talking points you snidely throw around to feel like an "independent thinker." When continuing the discussion becomes too taxing for you, you slink away every time.

Unlike you, I don't enjoy arguing on the Internet. There are literally hundreds of things I'd rather be doing right now, but I've accepted the responsibility of attempting to help manage an inclusive online community and, at the moment, this Dave Chapelle special is undeniably emboldening a lot of behavior that is overtly hostile and demeaning towards trans people – the worst of which you will hopefully never get the opportunity to read, because I have to sit here waiting for it to be posted. And I rarely have to wait long.

This is not Joe Lieberman arguing that violent video games will turn children into mass murderers. This is a situation where people are repeating verbatim content that is hurtful to a marginalized and oppressed population, and taking license from that content to express similar prejudices – often to even greater extremes. The harms here aren't speculative or theoretical, nor must they be directly linked to a murder to matter.

Someone needs to wake up Mathew Ygelaias and tell him that needs needs to pump out a Subtack article on this subject, Osh needs his assistance
Much as it pains me to say it, I actually hope he does - because apparently the fallback plan would be no-look posting a Laura Loomer Blogspot rant retrieved using the keywords “trans life expectancy debunk.”

I haven’t seen this new special. Hope the jokes are good and Dave hasn’t fallen off.
1633944630676.gif

This is clearly all about control for those all bent out of shape. Dave is most popular comedian in the world arguably meaning he has a large platform and following. Certain types want to control everything that people consume in large quantities. Youre either forgetting or never knew that the nature of comedy doesn't conform to whatever rules you think should apply to all aspects of life. If a less popular comedian made this special folks would have moved on already. But since it's the biggest joke teller in the world folks doing the absolute most to convince us it wasn't funny and inappropriate.

Youre either forgetting or never knew that the nature of comedy doesn't conform to whatever rules you think should apply to all aspects of life.
Wrong.
Unfortunately, this idea that it is OK to laugh at everything is exactly why comedy is the perfect vessel for propagandists.

If a less popular comedian made this special folks would have moved on already.
A less popular comedian would've been buried if they tried to insert a rape joke based on the look of the victim in their act.
But since it's the biggest joke teller in the world folks doing the absolute most to convince us it wasn't funny and inappropriate.
What's funny has little to do with what's appropriate. Chappelle himself walked away from $50 million because he was no longer sure if his jokes were appropriate. Was he making people think about the absurdity of stereotypes, or was he tapdancing for the white audience?

It's unfortunate that he can't apply the same discretion when it comes to other groups he wants to joke about (for example, using "alphabet people" or saying "I'm team TERF").

Wrong.
Unfortunately, this idea that it is OK to laugh at everything is exactly why comedy is the perfect vessel for propagandists.

A less popular comedian would've been buried if they tried to insert a rape joke based on the look of the victim in their act.

What's funny has little to do with what's appropriate. Chappelle himself walked away from $50 million because he was no longer sure if his jokes were appropriate. Was he making people think about the absurdity of stereotypes, or was he tapdancing for the white audience?

It's unfortunate that he can't apply the same discretion when it comes to other groups he wants to joke about (for example, using "alphabet people" or saying "I'm team TERF").
You say that as if we're laughing simply because he talks about these issues. No he just happened to bring out the humor in it which is impressive and happened to be funny. A less popular less experienced comedian might not have been able to pull it off. Even if they did you wouldn't care or even be aware of it until it's brought to mainstream attention. Your simply trying to silence and discredit a loud voice you disagree with. No amount of reaches and mental gymnastics can hide that from those who see thru the bs. Simply put you can't control what and how people express themselves and what people find funny, apologies if this is somehow news to you.

I think with the Daphne situation, this probably goes beyond the "comedians should say whatever we feel like" argument for Dave.

Not saying that's not still his general stance, but the fact majority of the special was about LGBT was abnormal and seemed pointed. And some of those moments, you could tell it was coming from a particularly personal place, more so than usual.

You're trying to drag the argument to a debate over a particular statistic - which I did not even cite in this topic –

Im not the one bringing up the deaths of black trans people every time someone
disagrees with the attempt to deem this special transphobic.

activist groups want to deem this special impermissible and ALWAYS cite the deaths of trans people and the 35 year old murder rate.

to distract from the broader, and undeniably valid, point that trans people, and especially Black trans people, are subject to hate crimes, suicide, and violence disproportionate to their share of the population.

if they want to make that point that they should, but they aren't
people are citing a statistic about a 35 year trans life expectancy and using that to police the bounds of acceptable artistic expression.

Im not denying that trans people face unique discrimination.
Im denying that you can track that argument to The Closer a special which takes great pains to validate pretty much all of the key political and cultural struggles trans people face.

The links I included were all from reputable outlets, among them a list by the HRC of trans people who were murdered last year. That list alone is more than sufficient evidence to demonstrate that violence against trans people is a problem, with or without the one stat you're "just asking questions" about, and yet you've decided that it would be enjoyable to bring to the discussion an article from the equivalent of trutheagle.gun pinched out by somebody who characterizes hate crimes against trans people as a hoax.

it's very obvious, you have accepted these dogmas about trans life expectancy uncritically.

and you're bristling at being asked basic questions about the data

you would not accept this standard of evidence if it was coming from say Christian conservatives.
if they showed up with some studies with zero controls or rigor saying that conversion therapy works

you would suddenly be the one "just asking questions"
but hey as you can find some way to attack the people making the argument you don't actually have to respond to the claims being made.

and you should really ask yourself; is signal boosting this idea that Trans people have a 35 year old life expectancy and around every corner there is a anti trans murderer ready to kill them.

based on pretty hazy numbers,
is that actually helpful to trans people?

is why I compared your “research” to that of anti-vaxxers. You weren't looking to inform yourself; you were groping around for anything that fit your preconceived argument.

Tell us: did you even read the links you posted? Were you aware that the author of one is a MAGA supporter playing Sandy Hook truther with hate crimes against trans people?
And you, of all people, have the temerity to question anyone else's sources?

ah your mind reading powers are without peer.

it's bull ****, and it's the tired tactic you constantly repeat.

demean and slander your a person with an opposing view, and make some narrative about their bad motivations to avoid contending with the argument.

the bad people are always wrong.

I've actually changed my mind over the years on some trans issue

you can look at my posts on the trans subject over the years and i repeated all the liberal talking points just like you.

but as i've read about the issue, i've changed my mind on some things. maybe im weird.

but you want to paint me as some anti trans reactionary based on mind reading and fan fiction about my motivations. If you disagree fine, but stop with the slander and lies

it's just constant appeals to authority with you, you can list all the wrongthink you thinkthe opposing voices have committed it's not actually a rebuttal, it's just elite class signalling.

we get it you have a subscription to the new york times, so do I but it's not the word of god.

this Dave Chapelle special is undeniably emboldening a lot of behavior that is overtly hostile and demeaning towards trans people –

UNDENIABLY

it's undeniable guys, the special that says, transwomen are women, trans people should use the bathroom of their gender, admonishes the crowd for cheering for anti trans bills, and has a closing bit about his friendship with a trans person.

this is UNDENIABLY leading to hostility towards trans people.
lord knoweth how....

but Meth and the college educated intelligence have decided that it undeniably is so we just all have accept it.

if you disagree you are a bigot, anti vaxer, bad faith, just asking questions ect ect ect ect
hopefully Dave is excised from polite socitey.

This is not Joe Lieberman arguing that violent video games will turn children into mass murderers. This is a situation where people are repeating verbatim content that is hurtful to a marginalized and oppressed population, and taking license from that content to express similar prejudices – often to even greater extremes. The harms here aren't speculative or theoretical, nor must they be directly linked to a murder to matter.

it's not?

This is a situation where people are repeating verbatim behavior they have seen in Grand Thef Auto that is hurtful to a marginalized and oppressed population, and taking license from that content to express similar prejudices – often to even greater extremes. The harms here aren't speculative or theoretical, nor must they be directly linked to a school shootings to matter.

it doesn't sound a little familiar to you, not at all? not even slightly?

Breaking news: cishet man thinks anti-trans humor isn't a big deal.
stop making stuff up.
I said The Closer is not a place to draw the line for artistic expression.
I don't believe the special is anti trans.

It's like asking John Rocker if he has an issue with Chief Wahoo.

Im black, I don't love Louis CK. N-word bit.
but I do not that it is impermissible form of artistic expression.

you might disagree, that's fine it's a free socitey.
but this idea

that unless you fit all the identity markers you literally have zero room to disagree with anything an activist says is crazy.

This subject, like most of the things you bicker about, doesn't affect you directly. You say you're not a Joe Rogan fan, but you go into the Joe Rogan thread on a message board and defend him.

Im an opinionated person, this is a discussion forum, you are surprised that a discussion forum would attract opinionated people? again the pivot to psychoanalysis and mind reading.
its tiresome.

You don't live in the United States, but you want to argue with people who do because you think our desire to defund the police goes "too far."

In this one word contains my entire beef, who is our????

You want people to believe that you represent the opinions of marginalized people.

you want to confer a minority status upon your opinion to make it ineligible for criticism.
but in reality you represent the opinions of college educated, MOSTLY white people.
this daves point about who is an isn't "punching down"

it doesn't matter if black voters don't want to defund the police. Meth knows better.
If a black trans person thinks Dave's jokes are fine it doesn't matter. Meth knows better.

You seem to find amusement in watching people get worked up to combat the low-effort, low-information contrarian talking points you snidely throw around to feel like an "independent thinker." When continuing the discussion becomes too taxing for you, you slink away every time.

I disengage because you're a bad faith interlocutor who relies on, slander and lies mixed with some gifs
to delegitimize dissenting opinion.

it's pointless to continue a conversation when, every response is some variation of
"you are a bad person therefore everything you say must be wrong"

and if you really think that any question or dissent on these questions leads to real harm for trans people.

you should be the change you want to see in the world and lock this thread and ban all discussion of The Closer.

I think with the Daphne situation, this probably goes beyond the "comedians should say whatever we feel like" argument for Dave.

Not saying that's not still his general stance, but the fact majority of the special was about LGBT was abnormal and seemed pointed. And some of those moments, you could tell it was coming from a particularly personal place, more so than usual.
The special was a direct response to the backlash and talking points criticizing Dave since his last special.

I feel that's why it's only a little over a hour and why he specifically ended it with the story about Daphne and saying that community is no longer worth me mentioning again cuz they don't listen.

He'll probably still slip in some gay jokes in his next special though :lol: There's a whole lot more going on in the world Dave can talk about.

Someone needs to wake up Mathew Ygelaias and tell him that he needs to pump out a Subtack article on this subject, Osh needs his assistance

I don't need it,
it's not that hard to pick apart boiler plate talking points.

it's just annoying to sift through the lies and gifs that stand in place of an actual argument.

but im waiting with baited bread to see how meth can find a new way to signal his status.
perhaps slip in a reference to "black bodies" to show he read Ta-Nahesi Coates.

im sure the gifs he finds will be really good.

I don't need it,
it's not that hard to pick apart boiler plate talking points.

it's just annoying to sift through the lies and gifs that stand in place of an actual argument.

but im waiting with baited bread to see how meth can find a new way to signal his status.
perhaps slip in a reference to "black bodies" to show he read Ta-Nahesi Coates.

im sure the gifs he finds will be really good.
Don't think things are going as you think, but ok famb.
welp-dont-care.gif

rye.PNG

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican

Last edited:
Had a chance to finally watch the special over the weekend. The first 15-20 or so minutes were funny, but I couldn't believe how long he stayed on the Trans thing.

We didn't find it nearly as funny or thought-provoking as most of you guys :lol:

Basically where I'm at. We laughed at it. Talked about it for like 20 min after the fact while we finished our drinks and then went on the next show.

I actually didn't think of it from expanded perspectives until I got on here and read the social media posts.

Eh, I see the point of the article and it rings true in a sense but I agree with the direction Dave took.

I think the hypocrisy of Da Baby killing another black man (In self defense) being a non-story (I just heard about this a few months ago and I LIVE in Charlotte btw). While his comment which was offensive and didn't even make sense is also line with decades of anti gay tropes in Hip hop that have only been recently flushed out (thankfully) I also like how Dave connected the story with his earlier special on when he tried to out that scammer and dude checked him about taking someones livelihood.

I do like the authors point about black people (even women) being victims of aids at much higher levels and it was a lane he could have taken, but again it comes back to Dave's point. It's a story because white people were offended.

Last edited:
People should be held accountable for their actions, but cancel culture has gone too far. This has nothing to do with Dave btw. It's just virtual witch hunts at this point.

People should be held accountable for their actions, but cancel culture has gone too far. This has nothing to do with Dave btw. It's just virtual witch hunts at this point.

how has cancel culture gone too far?

who has actually gotten unfairly canceled by the woke mob?

who has actually gotten ”canceled”?
People they tried to cancel for their thoughts and political beliefs
Kanye west
Dave Chappelle
Da baby
Doja cat
Jk Rowling
I don’t have to agree or respect everything any entertainer or artist says but can still like their art and that’s really my problem with the woke mob. They have the mentality if you ain’t with them in canceling their target of the week then you must be a maga republican that thinks a a like and supports everything they say or do.

People they tried to cancel for their thoughts and political beliefs
Kanye west
Dave Chappelle
Da baby
Doja cat
Jk Rowling
I don’t have to agree or respect everything any entertainer or artist says but can still like their art and that’s really my problem with the woke mob. They have the mentality if you ain’t with them in canceling their target of the week then you must be a maga republican that thinks a a like and supports everything they say or do.

name someone who hasn’t actually done something wrong

and what has actually happened to any of those people

Kathy griffin was named in this thread and it’s unfortunate that the same people now crying about cancel culture, canceled her

Back
Top Bottom