Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
But if some dude randomly offers up that they "will still watch every movie produced by Harvey Weinstein, they don't care" Then maybe, just maybe, someone will form a negative assumption about that person.
This is even more silly given the amount of great movies Weinstein has produced :lol:

The thing with Kelly is a good deal of his songs can be said to actually be about the girls he victimized.

Nobody is thinking about or even slightly concerned with the women Weinstein raped while watching Lord of the Rings or Django or Scream. I don't think it registers for most even when they see the Weinstein company logo before the movie starts.

Its a similar issue with Bill Cosby. I ain't come across a lot of ppl swearing off The Cosby Show or A Different World. And its like whoever is still listening to Cosby's comedy were never going to stop anyway.

What are your thoughts on the suspension and what is pasted below?

I come in peace.

"In a statement emailed to The Verge, a Netflix spokesperson pushed back against the idea that Field was suspended for tweeting. “It is absolutely untrue to say that we have suspended any employee for tweeting about this show,” they said. “Our employees are encouraged to disagree openly and we support their right to do so.”

Were alot of people consuming alot of Cosby content nowadays anyways?

i feel like I used to randomly see the Cosby show when flipping channels.. but not on the level of like seventh heaven

think I saw a different world is on hbo max now

but whenever I’m watching actual cable, I see the same set of shows on

Watched it over the weekend. Thought it wasn't particularly funny, honestly. Only one joke made me genuinely laugh.

I'm not one to shy away from boundary-pushing comedy. Hell, Norm MacDonald has been my favorite forever. I just thought this one was a dud in comparison to his classics. If you're gonna try to push the limits the jokes better hit, and I think the edge:humor ratio was skewed too much to one side.

When the special ended I didn't say anything and my girl just said "hmm...interesting" and we kept it moving. :lol:

What are your thoughts on the suspension and what is pasted below?

I come in peace.

"In a statement emailed to The Verge, a Netflix spokesperson pushed back against the idea that Field was suspended for tweeting. “It is absolutely untrue to say that we have suspended any employee for tweeting about this show,” they said. “Our employees are encouraged to disagree openly and we support their right to do so.”

my thoughts without being directly/intimately involved is to look at the nfl and kaep, which I know more about.. but illustrates my thoughts

the nfl should have just left things alone, they took a complicated issue for them and made things significantly worse in trying to deal with it.. there were people being disingenuous trying to capitalize politically on the whole thing and they just tried poorly to deal with both instead of doing nothing and letting Americans just get over it

the nfl and Netflix should be well aware of the short attention spans of people.. the nfl should be well aware how quickly people are willing to forgive and forget

clearly Netflix is going to keep their relationship with chappelle, they need as much original content as they can get

even if that employee’s actions warranted a suspension, right now Netflix can’t do it.. you offer money in the hopes that keeps them quiet, get them to sign something.. but you don’t need that added to a convo that doesn’t really really involve you

This is even more silly given the amount of great movies Weinstein has produced :lol:

The thing with Kelly is a good deal of his songs can be said to actually be about the girls he victimized.

Nobody is thinking about or even slightly concerned with the women Weinstein raped while watching Lord of the Rings or Django or Scream. I don't think it registers for most even when they see the Weinstein company logo before the movie starts.

Its a similar issue with Bill Cosby. I ain't come across a lot of ppl swearing off The Cosby Show or A Different World. And its like whoever is still listening to Cosby's comedy were never going to stop anyway.
Kinda confused as to this response to my comment

I am not taking issue with some watching a Weinstein Company movie, I am just saying that if someone openly made that proclamation they should expect to be looked at funny.

To parallel it with how dudes look when they proclaim they still listen to R.Kelly

It is the proclamation I am saying brings the judgment, not consuming the media

even if that employee’s actions warranted a suspension, right now Netflix can’t do it.. you offer money in the hopes that keeps them quiet, get them to sign something.. but you don’t need that added to a convo that doesn’t really really involve you
Yea, that's how I feel.

#LowIQ by Netflix. Whether the individual was right or wrong, you HAVE to understand time and place.

Yea, that's how I feel.

#LowIQ by Netflix. Whether the individual was right or wrong, you HAVE to understand time and place.

as 1995 1995 pointed out.. looks like it was more than just tweet(s).. but your choice is basically let it slide or you pay them off to go away and shut up

like with the Nfl, all the terrible QBs that keep getting jobs, just let kaep play or roster him and bury him on the depth chart.. it’s too obvious what they were doing

as 1995 1995 pointed out.. looks like it was more than just tweet(s).. but your choice is basically let it slide or you pay them off to go away and shut up

Yea, I don't care what the actual reason was for it was a dumb decision by Netflix.

They could have handled that internally without suspending the person but I guess they wanted to make a stand.

Now they have to deal with people making assumptions of them suspending a Trans - person for Tweeting displeasure over Netflix's support of Chappelle.

Dumb.

Yea, I don't care what the actual reason was for it was a dumb decision by Netflix.

They could have handled that internally without suspending the person but I guess they wanted to make a stand.

Now they have to deal with people making assumptions of them suspending a Trans - person for Tweeting displeasure over Netflix's support of Chappelle.

Dumb.

when people only read headlines and/or tweets, it’s too easy to make the shh worse for them

Kinda confused as to this response to my comment

I am not taking issue with some watching a Weinstein Company movie, I am just saying that if someone openly made that proclamation they should expect to be looked at funny.

To parallel it with how dudes look when they proclaim they still listen to R.Kelly

It is the proclamation I am saying brings the judgment, not consuming the media
It wasn't a direct response to you just commentary on it in general.

Doing it as you say is not as big of a deal as someone who feels the need to proclaim it as if its an act of defiance against something bad.

I'm honestly more disturbed by the fact that there seems to be more cries for Dave to be cancelled than for John Gruden to be fired.

Two completely unrelated things, I am aware but that was annoying to see this past weekend on TV/social media.

Im not the one bringing up the deaths of black trans people every time someone
disagrees with the attempt to deem this special transphobic.
I can't speak for everyone (which I know upsets you because you're trying to argue by proxy with people who aren't here (like your coworkers) rather than engage with what discussion participants are actually saying), but when Dave says things like "your people" should stop punching down on "my people," where do Black trans people fit in to that?

It could be that he's referring specifically to his White critics who have the power to "punch down" via White privilege. Yet, if that's so, then where is the acknowledgement that he has, in fact, demeaned Black trans people with some of his recent jokes?

Absolutely call out the vicious hypocrisy of the Caitlyn Jenners of the world - but don't gloss over the potential impact of broadly transphobic "jokes" on Black trans people, some of whose justifiable displeasure with Dave's recent sets cannot reasonably qualify as "punching down."

You want to talk about Jaclyn Moore's take. You don't want to talk about Raquel Willis'. Why?

There are Black trans people who oppose Netflix's decision to spend millions of dollars to produce multiple comedy specials mocking trans people, which are then broadcast around the world through the company's massive distribution platform. There are Black trans people who are largely unbothered by it. One thing we should all agree on, though, is that Black trans people exist, and yet Dave repeatedly presents the struggle for trans rights as if it is competing with the struggle for racial equality.

The idea that trans people are all White, and, thus, privileged, is not without consequence. The lack of intersectional awareness here masks the ways in which Black trans people simultaneously experience multiple forms of discrimination.

When we talk about potential impacts, it is worth noting that, as a group, Black trans people are disproportionately subject to violence. Hate crimes are drastically under-reported, making it difficult to develop truly representative data, but if you are unmoved by the number of dead then that, itself, is revealing. This isn't about one statistic, which, again, isn't central to the argument of anyone actually participating in this discussion with you, or one study. It's about the ways in which hostility towards trans people can exert a disproportionate, additive impact on those who experience oppression along multiple axes of social inequality.

In their analysis of nearly 26,000 person survey, the Trevor Project found that nearly one in three Black trans people under 24 reportedly attempted suicide - which is not only disproportionate relative to young trans people as a whole, but was also double percentage among gay, lesbian, and queer Black respondents.

If your first instinct is to attack the data, that could be because you're just that committed to high quality research - but, that explanation is kind of hard to take when you're out here uncritically citing someone who believes that hate crimes generally - including racist hate crimes - are a "hoax" by the left. Somehow, I doubt you took the time to double check their methods before "signal boosting" their conclusions.

and you should really ask yourself; is signal boosting this idea that Trans people have a 35 year old life expectancy and around every corner there is a anti trans murderer ready to kill them.
This is yet another instance of you arguing by proxy with those who aren't here. Take it up with Caleb and Haley.

In this one word contains my entire beef, who is our????
Then your "entire beef" is a nothing burger. "Our" in the sentence "You don't live in the United States, but you want to argue with people who do because you think our desire to defund the police goes "too far," refers to the group of people with whom you were quarreling over the "defund" movement in the Political Discussion Thread. "They" would not have been appropriate in this instance, as I was among them. Thus, "our."

Im black, I don't love Louis CK. N-word bit.
but I do not that it is impermissible form of artistic expression.
"Impermissible form of artistic expression?" You see anybody talking about hauling Dave off in handcuffs?

This is a product, distributed globally by a publicly traded company.

So often, the fight against "cancel culture" is a fight against accountability.
If you have an opinion, I'm allowed to have an opinion about your opinion. If Tucker Carlson spews hate speech every night on Fox, I am well within my rights to boycott his sponsors. (A fait accompli, since I'm not a Christian retiree.)

I don't have to agree that your opinion is of much worth on matters that do not affect you, however.

Dave can, and does, say what he wants. He's not exempt from criticism, especially from those who feel adversely impacted by mainstream ridicule.

We can agree on this, and, though we disagree as to the extent of that impact, we should at least be able to agree that it exists.

If you're cool with streaming services selling edge lord "comedy" on how maybe slavery was actually good, that's your prerogative - but the crux of the issue isn't whether someone is "permitted" to create "art," which is a free speech issue, but whether we ought to support the corporations that sell it as product.

it's undeniable guys, the special that says, transwomen are women, trans people should use the bathroom of their gender, admonishes the crowd for cheering for anti trans bills, and has a closing bit about his friendship with a trans person.

this is UNDENIABLY leading to hostility towards trans people.
lord knoweth how....

but Meth and the college educated intelligence have decided that it undeniably is so we just all have accept it.
You don't seem to understand that I'm not making this declaration by fiat, but relaying what I've directly seen while moderating this forum. People are posting anti-trans comments from this special on our site verbatim. That's not a matter of speculation or inference. It is happening.

Anti-trans content preceded and will undoubtedly follow Dave's Netflix specials, so while you might contest the influence of this particular special on the current uptick in transphobic posts, you cannot deny its influence where Dave himself is being quoted or referenced. That is what makes it undeniable.

But tell me again about how much you despise “mind reading.”

but im waiting with baited bread to see how meth can find a new way to signal his status.
perhaps slip in a reference to "black bodies" to show he read Ta-Nahesi Coates.

im sure the gifs he finds will be really good.
Rusty beat me to the .gif. I can't top that and won't try. *chef's kiss*

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to read books than watch whatever video Youtube's recommendation algorithm spits at me, or whatever article I can scrape up from Google whose title appears to align with my preconceived notions about a topic. I'm hardly alone in this. Books are referenced in our forums all the time. As a habit, I try to make it clear when I'm presenting something that is informed by or drawn directly from the work of others. I'm not entirely sure why you consider this inappropriate or even unusual enough to warrant comment.

Nevertheless, if you're waiting with "baited bread" on my latest literary name drop, let me help you: I already referenced The Sum of Us in a previous post.
I'd rather cite a book than plagiarize a substack article.

Perhaps, in your mind, that makes me "weird."
I can live with that.

Dave Chapelle is a multi-millionaire is a stand up that is having his special played and promoted by the largest streaming service in the world

When he complained about not getting compensated for his previous work, even though he was not legally entitled to, he was accommodated

Just today Netflix put out a statement in support of the special and they suspended a trans engineer that took issue with the special on Twitter and supposedly tried to attend an internal meeting she wasn't invited to press the issue

For some reason, I don't think Dave is facing any material consequences for words.

He has not come close to being "canceled".
It's worth noting that Dave is mocking trans people's "hurt feelings" over his recent material, yet when he successfully lobbied Netflix brass to remove Chappelle's Show from the service, he told them it "makes me feel bad."

He used similar phrasing when critiquing Key & Peele:

I don't know (or care to know) many people who would take Comedy Central's side in its dispute with Dave. Though we've heard multiple explanations for his decision to walk away, one of the most prevailing and, in my opinion, noble motives was Dave's reported sense that the show was getting away from him - that Comedy Central wanted more "racial humor," that White kids were thoughtlessly imitating lines from the show, and that he would not be a party to minstrelsy for any amount of money.

I would dispute the notion that Dave doesn't care what people think, or what impact his material may have. How much of this latest special was a direct response to feedback on his previous specials?

For much of this country's history, cishet White men could push hateful stereotypes across the entire world through “art,” and those responsible would never have to hear a word from those they harmed for their own selfish amusement and profit. They preached to their choir, reaffirmed each other's prejudices, and inculcated countless people with their narcissism and bigotry.

Today, those targeted by such messages have a way to speak back. We can, do, and must hold those responsible to account (corporations, primarily), for that is the only way we've thus far managed to make any progress.

When Dave uses his voice to stand against it – as he has in his comedy, as he has in his laudable decision to step away from comedy, he is participating in this process. He is not immune from it.

We are not all equally capable of causing harm, but we are responsible for the harm we cause.

I'm honestly more disturbed by the fact that there seems to be more cries for Dave to be cancelled than for John Gruden to be fired.

Two completely unrelated things, I am aware but that was annoying to see this past weekend on TV/social media.
Until you posted this wasn't even aware of what was going on with Gruden.

Not surprised by Gruden's comments. Not even moved that ppl aint calling for his job.

The comparison is unrelated but it is exactly what Dave was talking about when he brought up DaBaby killing a man compared to what he said at his concert.

Until you posted this wasn't even aware of what was going on with Gruden.

Not surprised by Gruden's comments. Not even moved that ppl aint calling for his job.

The comparison is unrelated but it is exactly what Dave was talking about when he brought up DaBaby killing a man compared to what he said at his concert.

I was more moved by Charles Woodson defending him on National TV. It’s one thing to wear an ascot religiously. Another thing to shuck and Jive. Actually they’re the same. Nevermind.

Mike Tirico defending him was to be expected as he is the only obviously Black person on earth to demand that others take his claims of Italian Heritage seriously.

Tony Dungy jumping to Gruden’a defense just highlights a lot of people’s issues with Christianity 😂

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 6.23.30 PM.png

the tide is turning

big corp starting to realize that twitter/internet isn't a real place

netflix gave dave a BAG and these "employees" wanna cancel/jeopardise the investment from the company that pays them
so basically netflix is paying to make them look bad and hurt them financially

u better be a big wig with a corner office and ur own parking space or ur getting shown the door
or ur a secret spy for amazon/apple/hulu/etc

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 6.23.30 PM.png

the tide is turning

big corp starting to realize that twitter/internet isn't a real place

netflix gave dave a BAG and these "employees" wanna cancel/jeopardise the investment from the company that pays them
so basically netflix is paying to make them look bad and hurt them financially

u better be a big wig with a corner office and ur own parking space or ur getting shown the door
or ur a secret spy for amazon/apple/hulu/etc
:rofl: Dude Netflix is trying to control the bad PR, that is it.

They are not taking some firm stand on this issue. They want to appear as allies to the transgender community, while they signal boosting Dave's content

This are just trying to cover their own ***

Last edited:
I can't speak for everyone (which I know upsets you because you're trying to argue by proxy with people who aren't here (like your coworkers) rather than engage with what discussion participants are actually saying), but when Dave says things like "your people" should stop punching down on "my people," where do Black trans people fit in to that?

It could be that he's referring specifically to his White critics who have the power to "punch down" via White privilege. Yet, if that's so, then where is the acknowledgement that he has, in fact, demeaned Black trans people with some of his recent jokes?

Absolutely call out the vicious hypocrisy of the Caitlyn Jenners of the world - but don't gloss over the potential impact of broadly transphobic "jokes" on Black trans people, some of whose justifiable displeasure with Dave's recent sets cannot reasonably qualify as "punching down."

You want to talk about Jaclyn Moore's take. You don't want to talk about Raquel Willis'. Why?

There are Black trans people who oppose Netflix's decision to spend millions of dollars to produce multiple comedy specials mocking trans people, which are then broadcast around the world through the company's massive distribution platform. There are Black trans people who are largely unbothered by it. One thing we should all agree on, though, is that Black trans people exist, and yet Dave repeatedly presents the struggle for trans rights as if it is competing with the struggle for racial equality.

The idea that trans people are all White, and, thus, privileged, is not without consequence. The lack of intersectional awareness here masks the ways in which Black trans people simultaneously experience multiple forms of discrimination.

When we talk about potential impacts, it is worth noting that, as a group, Black trans people are disproportionately subject to violence. Hate crimes are drastically under-reported, making it difficult to develop truly representative data, but if you are unmoved by the number of dead then that, itself, is revealing. This isn't about one statistic, which, again, isn't central to the argument of anyone actually participating in this discussion with you, or one study. It's about the ways in which hostility towards trans people can exert a disproportionate, additive impact on those who experience oppression along multiple axes of social inequality.

In their analysis of nearly 26,000 person survey, the Trevor Project found that nearly one in three Black trans people under 24 reportedly attempted suicide - which is not only disproportionate relative to young trans people as a whole, but was also double percentage among gay, lesbian, and queer Black respondents.

If your first instinct is to attack the data, that could be because you're just that committed to high quality research - but, that explanation is kind of hard to take when you're out here uncritically citing someone who believes that hate crimes generally - including racist hate crimes - are a "hoax" by the left. Somehow, I doubt you took the time to double check their methods before "signal boosting" their conclusions.

This is yet another instance of you arguing by proxy with those who aren't here. Take it up with Caleb and Haley.

Then your "entire beef" is a nothing burger. "Our" in the sentence "You don't live in the United States, but you want to argue with people who do because you think our desire to defund the police goes "too far," refers to the group of people with whom you were quarreling over the "defund" movement in the Political Discussion Thread. "They" would not have been appropriate in this instance, as I was among them. Thus, "our."

"Impermissible form of artistic expression?" You see anybody talking about hauling Dave off in handcuffs?

This is a product, distributed globally by a publicly traded company.

So often, the fight against "cancel culture" is a fight against accountability.
If you have an opinion, I'm allowed to have an opinion about your opinion. If Tucker Carlson spews hate speech every night on Fox, I am well within my rights to boycott his sponsors. (A fait accompli, since I'm not a Christian retiree.)

I don't have to agree that your opinion is of much worth on matters that do not affect you, however.

Dave can, and does, say what he wants. He's not exempt from criticism, especially from those who feel adversely impacted by mainstream ridicule.

We can agree on this, and, though we disagree as to the extent of that impact, we should at least be able to agree that it exists.

If you're cool with streaming services selling edge lord "comedy" on how maybe slavery was actually good, that's your prerogative - but the crux of the issue isn't whether someone is "permitted" to create "art," which is a free speech issue, but whether we ought to support the corporations that sell it as product.

You don't seem to understand that I'm not making this declaration by fiat, but relaying what I've directly seen while moderating this forum. People are posting anti-trans comments from this special on our site verbatim. That's not a matter of speculation or inference. It is happening.

Anti-trans content preceded and will undoubtedly follow Dave's Netflix specials, so while you might contest the influence of this particular special on the current uptick in transphobic posts, you cannot deny its influence where Dave himself is being quoted or referenced. That is what makes it undeniable.

But tell me again about how much you despise “mind reading.”

Rusty beat me to the .gif. I can't top that and won't try. *chef's kiss*

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to read books than watch whatever video Youtube's recommendation algorithm spits at me, or whatever article I can scrape up from Google whose title appears to align with my preconceived notions about a topic. I'm hardly alone in this. Books are referenced in our forums all the time. As a habit, I try to make it clear when I'm presenting something that is informed by or drawn directly from the work of others. I'm not entirely sure why you consider this inappropriate or even unusual enough to warrant comment.

Nevertheless, if you're waiting with "baited bread" on my latest literary name drop, let me help you: I already referenced The Sum of Us in a previous post.
I'd rather cite a book than plagiarize a substack article.

Perhaps, in your mind, that makes me "weird."
I can live with that.

It's worth noting that Dave is mocking trans people's "hurt feelings" over his recent material, yet when he successfully lobbied Netflix brass to remove Chappelle's Show from the service, he told them it "makes me feel bad."

He used similar phrasing when critiquing Key & Peele:

I don't know (or care to know) many people who would take Comedy Central's side in its dispute with Dave. Though we've heard multiple explanations for his decision to walk away, one of the most prevailing and, in my opinion, noble motives was Dave's reported sense that the show was getting away from him - that Comedy Central wanted more "racial humor," that White kids were thoughtlessly imitating lines from the show, and that he would not be a party to minstrelsy for any amount of money.

I would dispute the notion that Dave doesn't care what people think, or what impact his material may have. How much of this latest special was a direct response to feedback on his previous specials?

For much of this country's history, cishet White men could push hateful stereotypes across the entire world through “art,” and those responsible would never have to hear a word from those they harmed for their own selfish amusement and profit. They preached to their choir, reaffirmed each other's prejudices, and inculcated countless people with their narcissism and bigotry.

Today, those targeted by such messages have a way to speak back. We can, do, and must hold those responsible to account (corporations, primarily), for that is the only way we've thus far managed to make any progress.

When Dave uses his voice to stand against it – as he has in his comedy, as he has in his laudable decision to step away from comedy, he is participating in this process. He is not immune from it.

We are not all equally capable of causing harm, but we are responsible for the harm we cause.
i kind of knew but

i didn't know meth was this passionate about trans citizens

i like the passion!

did u like any of part of the special or was it just all not ur speed?

Back
Top Bottom