Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
I was more moved by Charles Woodson defending him on National TV. It’s one thing to wear an ascot religiously. Another thing to shuck and Jive. Actually they’re the same. Nevermind.

Mike Tirico defending him was to be expected as he is the only obviously Black person on earth to demand that others take his claims of Italian Heritage seriously.

Tony Dungy jumping to Gruden’a defense just highlights a lot of people’s issues with Christianity 😂
I saw the articles when it was first reported but didnt click on any of them cuz 2011 and emails interest me none. Dont even **** with the NFL like that anyway.

But clicked on an article today. Up until this point I had only read that he used a racial epithet. Opened the article and saw what he wrote. I glossed over the fact that he called him Dumborris Smith. If I hadnt of missed that part on the initial read my feelings may have been different.

Got to the "lips like Michelin tires" part and cant lie...first thought was "that's a pretty damn good burn."

Anyway, who trying to get Gruden out the paint? 10 year old emails being leaked...he definitely pissed somebody off.

Honest question, what do you feel would be a fair punishment?
To fire him 10 years ago.

I've little interest in Gruden and his future employment. My interest is in what he did recently to make the league leak **** from 10 years ago. What's really happening here?

They didnt think it important to float this info out there before signing a 10 year 100 million dollar contract. But the friday before the Bears game, this had to come out.

I'm itching to know wtf is going on.

I've little interest in Gruden and his future employment. My interest is in what he did recently to make the league leak **** from 10 years ago. What's really happening here?

Yea, I wonder why it took so long for this news to come out.

I swear it seems like people SIT on things and wait for the right time to release them.

No amount of background checks discovered these emails?

I don't understand.

They didnt think it important to float this info out there before signing a 10 year 100 million dollar contract. But the friday before the Bears game, this had to come out.

think he was at espn 10 years ago

The emails came up as part of an investigation into the Washington Football Team.

Accountability doesn’t have an expiration date.

if that upsets anyone, I’m laughing in your face.

The emails came up as part of an investigation into the Washington Football Team.
Gotvha. Wasnt aware of this.

I'd imagine though that the league had this info at the time of his hiring and didnt see it to be a problem then? Just hard to believe there isnt more to this.

Seriously though look at how fast Gruden resigned after news about the homphobia came out.

LESS THAN an hour and thirty min.

Until that part came out he was feeding us the "I don't have a racist bone in my body" lie.

Roseanne legit got canceled, anyone wanna defend her stupidity?

Lets add some context to this comment...

DeYUelVU0AALsB4.jpg

roseanne-barr-tweet-ht-jc-180529_hpEmbed_29x14_992.jpg

trump-jr.jpg

9cf4bacca2cf55ac8073ba5c0162a754_md.jpg

Definitely wilden for over 20 years.

What makes a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dinner? Same stuff as in the US? Turkey and all that

yup, pretty much similar stuff,

made
turkey, roast beef, twice baked potato, mac and cheese, samosa's, roasted brocoli, jolof rice,

and I made cornbread this year for the first time tho for a more traditionally American twist.

the rest of it was pretty good, the cornbread was pretty weak not gunna lie,
gunna need to practice more. :lol:

I can't speak for everyone (which I know upsets you because you're trying to argue by proxy with people who aren't here (like your coworkers) rather than engage with what discussion participants are actually saying), but when Dave says things like "your people" should stop punching down on "my people," where do Black trans people fit in to that?

more meth fanfiction about me.

It could be that he's referring specifically to his White critics who have the power to "punch down" via White privilege. Yet, if that's so, then where is the acknowledgement that he has, in fact, demeaned Black trans people with some of his recent jokes?

I took that statement to mean white LGBTQ people using their status to enforce their preferred speech climate.

in fact in the closer he acknowledges the fact in his past sets he used the t word. and that he was ignorant about a lot of the correct terminology in speaking about trans people.

it doesn't mean that black LGBTQ people don't exist.

white LGBTQ people use black trans lives as a bloody shirt to enforce their preferred speech environment.

and want to wrap it in their desire to protect black and brown trans people. to stifle dissent

Absolutely call out the vicious hypocrisy of the Caitlyn Jenners of the world - but don't gloss over the potential impact of broadly transphobic "jokes" on Black trans people, some of whose justifiable displeasure with Dave's recent sets cannot reasonably qualify as "punching down."

You want to talk about Jaclyn Moore's take. You don't want to talk about Raquel Willis'. Why?

I have no problem if Raquel Willis or Jaclyn Moore thinks Daves special is transphobic.

I have a problem with good faith disagreement about where we draw the lines being branded as simple bigotry.

I don't agree, and I don't think im required to calculate where everyone fits into the oppression hierarchy before i decide if Its okay to disagree.

There are Black trans people who oppose Netflix's decision to spend millions of dollars to produce multiple comedy specials mocking trans people, which are then broadcast around the world through the company's massive distribution platform. There are Black trans people who are largely unbothered by it. One thing we should all agree on, though, is that Black trans people exist, and yet Dave repeatedly presents the struggle for trans rights as if it is competing with the struggle for racial equality.

I don't agree with that last part.
I think Dave is pointing out a dynamic that exists in highly educated elite circles,
where they are hyper concerned about policing stand up comedy and media.

but seem to have zero impact on the sky high death rate and the alleged 35 year old life expectancy for black and brown trans people.

The Toronto city council voted against allowing rooming houses,

you had progressives who are ready to check you if you don't say "unhoused"
voting against rooming houses, something that would materially help the homeless population.

You can't see how this might look to someone like college educated white people creating a speech environment.

that only college educated can navigate effectively than it is about protecting black trans lives?

we can agree to disagree but I don't think it's just obvious transphobia or the erasure of black trans people to point out this dynamic. .

The idea that trans people are all White, and, thus, privileged, is not without consequence. The lack of intersectional awareness here masks the ways in which Black trans people simultaneously experience multiple forms of discrimination.

I don't think he's saying they don't exist, I just think he's talking specifically about certain white lgbtq people.

When we talk about potential impacts, it is worth noting that, as a group, Black trans people are disproportionately subject to violence. Hate crimes are drastically under-reported, making it difficult to develop truly representative data, but if you are unmoved by the number of dead then that, itself, is revealing. This isn't about one statistic, which, again, isn't central to the argument of anyone actually participating in this discussion with you, or one study. It's about the ways in which hostility towards trans people can exert a disproportionate, additive impact on those who experience oppression along multiple axes of social inequality.

In their analysis of nearly 26,000 person survey, the Trevor Project found that nearly one in three Black trans people under 24 reportedly attempted suicide - which is not only disproportionate relative to young trans people as a whole, but was also double percentage among gay, lesbian, and queer Black respondents.

If your first instinct is to attack the data, that could be because you're just that committed to high quality research - but, that explanation is kind of hard to take when you're out here uncritically citing someone who believes that hate crimes generally - including racist hate crimes - are a "hoax" by the left. Somehow, I doubt you took the time to double check their methods before "signal boosting" their conclusions.

I'm not arguing that they don't face unique struggles because they trans,
black people face unique struggles because they are black.

But i just don't think it's reasonable anytime someone disagrees to draw a straight line to trans suicide.

especially with the content in this special, that like i keep saying affirms many of the political and cultural struggles faced by trans people.

This is yet another instance of you arguing by proxy with those who aren't here. Take it up with Caleb and Haley.
fan fiction.

Then your "entire beef" is a nothing burger. "Our" in the sentence "You don't live in the United States, but you want to argue with people who do because you think our desire to defund the police goes "too far," refers to the group of people with whom you were quarreling over the "defund" movement in the Political Discussion Thread. "They" would not have been appropriate in this instance, as I was among them. Thus, "our."
fine. my bad i misunderstood.

"Impermissible form of artistic expression?" You see anybody talking about hauling Dave off in handcuffs?

This is a product, distributed globally by a publicly traded company.

So often, the fight against "cancel culture" is a fight against accountability.
If you have an opinion, I'm allowed to have an opinion about your opinion. If Tucker Carlson spews hate speech every night on Fox, I am well within my rights to boycott his sponsors. (A fait accompli, since I'm not a Christian retiree.)

I don't have to agree that your opinion is of much worth on matters that do not affect you, however.

Dave can, and does, say what he wants. He's not exempt from criticism, especially from those who feel adversely impacted by mainstream ridicule.

We can agree on this, and, though we disagree as to the extent of that impact, we should at least be able to agree that it exists.

it's fine to boycott, to express your displeasure, or whatever you want. it's a free socitey.
just like it's my right to think boycotting this special goes to far. or to disagree that its trans phobic.

I just part ways when people imply that disagreement can only be the result of transphobia.

If you're cool with streaming services selling edge lord "comedy" on how maybe slavery was actually good, that's your prerogative - but the crux of the issue isn't whether someone is "permitted" to create "art," which is a free speech issue, but whether we ought to support the corporations that sell it as product.

you don't have to support it, i never said you did.
I just disagree with dubious escalation of harm being used to brand anyone who has a slightly different opinion of The Closer as bigots.

You don't seem to understand that I'm not making this declaration by fiat, but relaying what I've directly seen while moderating this forum. People are posting anti-trans comments from this special on our site verbatim. That's not a matter of speculation or inference. It is happening.

Anti-trans content preceded and will undoubtedly follow Dave's Netflix specials, so while you might contest the influence of this particular special on the current uptick in transphobic posts, you cannot deny its influence where Dave himself is being quoted or referenced. That is what makes it undeniable.

So you think that Dave's special fomented and a previously non existent transphobia in the mind of some innocent NTer.

and I guess the logic goes that this NTer will go on to murder or harass a trans person they meet in the future untill they commit suicide?

and you think this bares zero resemblance to the violent video game arguments?

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to read books than watch whatever video Youtube's recommendation algorithm spits at me, or whatever article I can scrape up from Google whose title appears to align with my preconceived notions about a topic. I'm hardly alone in this. Books are referenced in our forums all the time. As a habit, I try to make it clear when I'm presenting something that is informed by or drawn directly from the work of others. I'm not entirely sure why you consider this inappropriate or even unusual enough to warrant comment.

Nevertheless, if you're waiting with "baited bread" on my latest literary name drop, let me help you: I already referenced The Sum of Us in a previous post.
I'd rather cite a book than plagiarize a substack article.

Perhaps, in your mind, that makes me "weird."
I can live with that.

fan fiction, slander, lies.

It's worth noting that Dave is mocking trans people's "hurt feelings" over his recent material, yet when he successfully lobbied Netflix brass to remove Chappelle's Show from the service, he told them it "makes me feel bad."

He used similar phrasing when critiquing Key & Peele:

I don't know (or care to know) many people who would take Comedy Central's side in its dispute with Dave. Though we've heard multiple explanations for his decision to walk away, one of the most prevailing and, in my opinion, noble motives was Dave's reported sense that the show was getting away from him - that Comedy Central wanted more "racial humor," that White kids were thoughtlessly imitating lines from the show, and that he would not be a party to minstrelsy for any amount of money.

I would dispute the notion that Dave doesn't care what people think, or what impact his material may have. How much of this latest special was a direct response to feedback on his previous specials?

For much of this country's history, cishet White men could push hateful stereotypes across the entire world through “art,” and those responsible would never have to hear a word from those they harmed for their own selfish amusement and profit. They preached to their choir, reaffirmed each other's prejudices, and inculcated countless people with their narcissism and bigotry.

Today, those targeted by such messages have a way to speak back. We can, do, and must hold those responsible to account (corporations, primarily), for that is the only way we've thus far managed to make any progress.

When Dave uses his voice to stand against it – as he has in his comedy, as he has in his laudable decision to step away from comedy, he is participating in this process. He is not immune from it.

We are not all equally capable of causing harm, but we are responsible for the harm we cause.

For years and years the college educated intelligencia told us that trigger warnings were essential interventions to reduce harm against some marginalized people.

recent research suggests that Trigger warning don't seem to help, and in some cases may hurt.

now im sure this concept will need further research before we can reach a frim understanding of the efficacy of trigger warnings

but the point is a certain class of people were able to enforce an a new speech climate based on

little evidence, and shoddy research and anyone who didn't follow along was undoubtedly unconcerned with the marginalized people who were undoubtedly being harmed.

Look I admit I maybe biased in favour of people who create art.

It's possible in the end we should constrict art to what won't offend the most vulnerable or sensitive in our socitey. (i say sensitive as descriptor not with any prejudice)

but I just its important we debate these things in a good faith way
and I think escalating harm to end debate is wrong and is not convincing or helpful to the struggle for trans rights. its a recipe for reactionary backlash.

Back
Top Bottom