Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Dave thought he was strong enough to withstand all this. He should’ve known he wasn’t and now he see’s.

May have to pull up to that NYC showing of the doc, It's trash that there big companies can't get behind something due to "backlash" from soft people but it is what it is. Thankfully Dave has the means to get by that & still release his work to the public.

Entertainers at this point really just have to make the decision on which path they're gonna walk. You either build slowly or independently or take the fast paced mainstream approach & have to answer to corporate worries all day out of fear of everything being stopped.

Do you.

I simply don't care to the degree you do

I don't think a free for is a mandatory condition to have good "art"

Dave compares being trans to blackface, and compares the genitalia of some trans women to beyond meat. Trans activist outchea saying stuff like this too? Damn, didn't know this :lol:

Dude, you want to use the positive things Dave said to dismiss the offensive things he said. I simply can't rock with that argument. Yes he said some good things, but he said some clearly offensive things regarding them too

Im not dismissing it, my point in referencing the positive things he says,
is that it's clearly it's not some anti trans special.

but IT does contain crude low brow sophomoric body humour jokes about trans people.
as he does with EVERY other minority group.

that is what you sign up for with Dave, occasional profundity mixed with toilet jokes.

you don't sense a shade of hypocrisy here? It's cool when Dave does this to black people, asian people, women, sexual assult victims. but HERE is where the line must be drawn?

it doesn't seem like principle, it just seems like, the way you signal your status in 2021
is demonstrate your knowledge of trans issues.

im not saying no one should be offended by these jokes,
I can why people might be offended.

my problem is never with people who take offense.
my problem is with those (not you)
who demand there offense to be shared by the rest of the public.

This whole elite politics thing you keep bringing out is unconvincing to me. Just seems like a brand of leftist politics I really don't rock with. It muddles the dynamics at play here in a way that is convenient for your argument, Dave, and his defenders.

BTW, would I be a cultural elite too? I can't tell :lol:

Also, does Dave politics on race seem to closely align with the views of the cultural elite. So is that an issue? Or does the views of the cultural elite shrink to exclude Dave on that subject?

well I am a cultural elite, I live in a big city, and work in media.
I've seen Nannette. :lol:

We've had long arguments about optimal communications strategy for winning back rust belt swing voters, I think it's safe to say we are cultural elites. :lol:

to me that's different than elite politics.

I look at elite cultural politics as a overwhelming concern with speech and symbolic forms of oppression, that relies on theories and concepts from university humanities/gender studies programs.

I don't think you or i have elite cultural politics.

Sure Dave comedy as been a net positive to stand-up, I would agree, but two things

a) The contributions to stand-up are not gonna be the prime consideration to a lot of people. I am not that sympathetic to the protect art over everything argument.

b) You are making the judgment on aggregate. Weighing the good against whatever bad (and there definitely probably been some bad given Dave's own admission regarding white people laughing at the stereotypes on the Chapelle Show). Other people might not think on aggregate the good outweighs the bad. Someone could take Dave's career into consideration and think it is a net negative

So people can take issue with certain things he says and agree with others.

i agree im totally cool with that, it's up to everyone to make there own judgments on these things.

Society speech codes change from generation to generation. Comedians have never enjoyed blanket impunity when violating them. Consumer taste changes, the market changes. When it comes to reaching mainstream success, these are all the things comedians (service providers) in a market have to adapt to.

but this is my point, tastes haven't actually changed that much.

I think the audience is broadly okay with the idea that comedians may use imagery or language they find offensive. and you can just not watch it.

it's a very small group of people inside large companies who are using their power to dictate what the average consumer has access to. that's the part I object to.

Don't be silly it is obviously true, you need only observe reality
I just gave you an example of artists calculating and self editing (not releasing certain songs instead of dropping everything they make), which you said shouldn't be done for the sake of good art.

At this point, you're just arguing to argue.
the culture hasn't actually changed that much
Shows with openly gay/trans characters, openly gay/trans politicians (on both sides of the aisle), openly gay businesspeople say otherwise.

Are metacritic reviews a reflection of the general public's feelings about the special, or are they just a representation of Chappelle's fans feelings about the special? I'll argue it's the latter.

also I don't get the sense that dave is shying away from criticism, he literally just did a entire special addressing critics.
Is that why he said he will no longer make jokes about LGBT people? My man knew he was being gratuitously offensive during his special, even as he declared his support for pro-LGBT laws.

Artists who get shot at and jailed for their art don't stop making it when they get out/survive because they believe in the righteousness of what they're doing. I just don't get the same feeling from Chappelle.

The amount of credit this man gives the "cultural elite" is astounding. He literally logs onto NT everyday from his ivory maple tree, jumps on his soapbox and rails against this "small group" in damn near every post. It's wild that you literally gave him an example and he told you you're wrong and you should look around you :wow:

The amount of credit this man gives the "cultural elite" is astounding. He literally logs onto NT everyday from his ivory maple tree, jumps on his soapbox and rails against this "small group" in damn near every post. It's wild that you literally gave him an example and he told you you're wrong and you should look around you :wow:

Can literally say the exact same thing about the folks going back and forth with him.

I just gave you an example of artists calculating and self editing (not releasing certain songs instead of dropping everything they make), which you said shouldn't be done for the sake of good art.

At this point, you're just arguing to argue.

you're the one arguing against obvious reality about language.

and I did not say self editing should NEVER be done,

im saying the editing people are asking for now in this specific moment, is being done to appease a very tiny subset of the population,

a group of people with confused political ideas about speech and violence that is uniquely harmful to the production of interesting art.

Shows with openly gay/trans characters, openly gay/trans politicians (on both sides of the aisle), openly gay businesspeople say otherwise.

What? Did Dave say that, there shouldn't be LGBTQ people on screen, or that LGBTQ people are bad?

You don't think it's possible that people are totally down to watch content with LGBTQ characters and themes but also think it it's okay if comedy is sometimes offensive?

Im a big fan of Transparent,
but I do not think Trans people have a veto on what is and isn't acceptable subject for comedy.

this is what you are not grasping, a person can think,
"trans woman are women"
you can support there right to use the bathroom
you can be against anti trans legislation.
don't say t word,

but it's not enough, you also need to submit to there intricate speech codes
that conspicuously don't apply to any other minority group.
and if you disagree you are a bigot, and contributing to the trans holocaust.

I think you can be supportive of LGBTQ rights but also think we don't need to censor stand up comedians.

The media told use there would be 1000+ people Netflix walkout,
it turned out to be dozens.

there was breathless headlines about an protesting employee getting fired
but you look in the 5th paragraph and they she got fired for leaking company data.

but the fact that one of the Netflix walkout organizers made a bunch flagrantly racist tweets,
it took some twitter people to uncover that.

you really don't see a narrative is clearly being pushed?
and it's being pushed by people who represent a pretty small subset of the population?

you can laugh all you want about my obsession with elites,
but this stuff permeates every aspect of socitey.

If all people took out of these past few specials was thoughts on cancel culture then idk what else to say except.... typical :lol: .

People don't like what you say they will completely ignore everything else, focus on a small portion & make it an issue. People after this special tried to run with the Dave Chapelle isn't even that funny/he was never that good narrative :lol: .

Mf'ers will completely rewrite history & bend truths just to die on their point.

Last edited:
I think one of the assumptions I disagree with is that purging certain jokes about trans people from the menu of subject comedians can talk about will cause some sort of irreparable harm to the profession.

I would think talented mainstream comedians would adapt, and will also write jokes involving trans people that don't cause an uproar

Like I think this is pretty funny...

I don't even think you gotta be respectful, just funny as ****. Big time, super popular, rich arena dudes lose a little sense of that and people don't want to admit Dave is there now.

That's not hip hop's doing. That's the growing popularity and prominence of black culture and the rampant appropriation that's come with it due to how society functions when it comes to media in the 20th and 21st century.

If anyone could erase the words "opp", "smoke", "cap" from suburban white children vocabulary they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

it’s a message board, have a discussion?

I was more so referring to with Dave, is it just to remove the special. Him apologizing? What do people that hate it want from him.

@1:03
"Feeling like the KKK
We kill ya den we hang n*****"

All to a pop beat with Fortnite graphics..........

People are putting a lot of effort in this man....

fetchimage.jpeg

If anyone could erase the words "opp", "smoke", "cap" from suburban white children vocabulary they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

I was more so referring to with Dave, is it just to remove the special. Him apologizing? What do people that hate it want from him.

From the looks of it, To get to a point where even a mention of that community that isn't 100% positive can no longer be said publicly. Meanwhile they will continue to partake & enjoy things that may depict other groups in a less than perfect way :lol:.

Dave thought he was strong enough to withstand all this. He should’ve known he wasn’t and now he see’s.

I’m sure he is fine, don’t really see him failing. Millions still want to be entertained by his comedy no matter the subject. The “big” sponsors pulling out is them playing it safe for the moment. Once it blows over they’ll be back asking if Chappelle has new material :lol:

Back
Top Bottom