Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
What's the matter? Aren't you the person who likes to call out others for using logical fallacies?

I apologize if I've mistaken you for someone else

Wouldn't exactly say I enjoy it but lets do it.

Claim: "Dave Chappelle's jokes are endangering the Black / LBGTQ community"

Posts news article of a rich White Gay Man convicted of drugging and killing members of the Black LGBTQ community (for years) - with no response from the same LGBTQ community that's up in arms trying to cancel a comedian while claiming said comedian's jokes are endangering them.

You:

Snarky remarks & claims of whataboutism vs addressing the facts / hypocrisy.

giphy (2).gif

Last edited:
Who cares.
You can end all the mental gymnastics by just allowing comedians to say things you don't necessarily agree with.
Why does everyone need to agree with you just to have a right to say something?
Let people be wrong.

Wouldn't exactly say I enjoy it but lets do it.

Claim: "Dave Chappelle's jokes are endangering the Black / LBGTQ community"

Posts news article of a rich White Gay Man convicted of drugging and killing members of the Black LGBTQ community (for years) - with no response from the same LGBTQ community that's up in arms trying to cancel a comedian while claiming said comedian's jokes are endangering them.

You:

Snarky remarks & claims of whataboutism vs addressing the facts.

giphy (2).gif

I mean this is a cute format you have going for your posts so kudos for that, but let's look at what makes a tu quoque fallacy real quick

The (fallacious) tu quoque argument follows the template
  1. Person A claims that statement X is true.
  2. Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
  3. Therefore, X is false.
Person A's (trans community) claim in this instance is that Chappelle's jokes are harmful to them by normalizing transphobia to a large audience

Person B's (You) counter to this was to post about Ed Buck and say "where was the outcry for this?' in an attempt to shift the discussion to what you view as a past inconsistency

Does this not fit the bill?

I mean this is a cute format you have going for your posts so kudos for that, but let's look at what makes a tu quoque fallacy real quick

The (fallacious) tu quoque argument follows the template
  1. Person A claims that statement X is true.
  2. Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
  3. Therefore, X is false.
Person A's (trans community) claim in this instance is that Chappelle's jokes are harmful to them by normalizing transphobia to a large audience

Person B's (You) counter to this was to post about Ed Buck and say "where was the outcry for this?' in an attempt to shift the discussion to what you view as a past inconsistency

Does this not fit the bill?

Ok lets do it...

"Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about…?") is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy, which attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving the argument."

Claim you presented from the LGBTQ community:

"Person A's (trans community) claim in this instance is that Chappelle's jokes are harmful to them by normalizing transphobia to a large audience" = opinion

Actual claim from the LGBTQ community:

"Dave Chappelle's brand has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities. Negative reviews and viewers loudly condemning his latest special is a message to the industry that audiences don't support platforming anti-LGBTQ diatribes. We agree." - GLAAD

95% liked this TV show
Google users

IMDb Users

4,543 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 8.1 / 10

1633833258772.png

The numbers aint lying Fam.

Last edited:
So what jokes can he make about their community?
I don't know, he should ask his trans friend(s).
And again, comedians cross those boundaries ALL THE TIME and it’s never an issue if it’s another group
I wouldn't bet on that.
Daniel Tosh
In yet another Laugh Factory gaffe in July 2012, Daniel Tosh found himself the subject of intense public pressure after joking about a gang rape. Tosh made a rape joke during his set, and a woman in the crowd shouted that rape is not funny. Tosh replied, “Wouldn’t it be funny if that girl got raped by, like, five guys right now? Like right now?” Tosh was forced to issue an apology after a clip of the joke went viral.

Michael Richards
Michael Richards, best known for playing Cosmo Kramer on “Seinfeld,” found himself persona non grata after video surfaced of him hurling racial epithets at audience members during a standup set at the Laugh Factory in November 2006. Richards apologized on “The Late Show” via satellite during an interview with his former costar Jerry Seinfeld. Richards announced his retirement from standup in 2007.

Joan Rivers
Books could no doubt be written about the offensive jokes made by the late Joan Rivers. She tackled body image, abortion and child molestation with a razor wit. She attracted the attention of the Anti-Defamation league in 2013, however, when she commented on German model Heidi Klum’s Oscar dress. “The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens,” Rivers said.

Chelsea Handler
The former E! talk show host was accused of racism in March 2014 after she tweeted about Kenyan-born Lupita Nyong’o winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Handler wrote, “Congratulations #lupita To pre order #ugandabekiddingme go to http://amzn.to/1pS4qpG #Oscars.” The hashtag and link were for Handler’s book about her travels to Africa, but Twitter users found it offensive that she tried connecting them to Nyong’o because she is African.
Let people be wrong.
"To err is human; to persist is diabolical"

At this point, people find power and attention in complaining and acting offended. It allows them to bring down a celeb. The bigger the better. It's the golden gun.
This is such a generic thing to say that it could be used as an argument against any type of controversy.

Like police abuse...

...or affirmative action...

Having finally watched the special, there are two moments that stood out for me, and not in a good way:

- The first was the one about the woman in overalls not being assaultable (could it be because she was ugly, manly looking, and/or not dressed in a suggestive way?) People didn't laugh because it was funny; they laughed because Chappelle said it.

- The second was the joke about grey market vaginas: if the measure of a real woman is whether or not she can have babies, what does it say about those cis women who can't bear kids? Does that make them less than a woman? Plenty of misogynistic societies in the past and present assign women a value based on their ability to procreate.

And let's not forget: it all starts with a plea for DaBaby, who has been "cancelled" for inferring that HIV is some gay **** (when we all know that the people most affected by that virus are in black neighborhoods in the US, and in African countries). That's some prime Ronald Reagan era rethoric right there. And instead of addressing those comments, Chappelle doubles down and does some whataboutism about how nobody spoke when DaBaby killed a dude.

The criticism is warranted. The special ultimately came off as an exercise to explain Chappelle's views with the paying audience as witnesses instead of an insightful commentary on LGBT issues.

Oh, now who's "smashing strawmen?"

Killing every trans person before the age of 35? Source?

Here's what actually happened:

You did the laziest possible "research" to "just ask questions" about whether violence against trans people is overstated or, in the words of one of the people you cited, a hoax.
I should expect nothing less from a Joe Rogan fan.

I hope you'll someday muster up the courage to face Maribel and Beckett at work so you can stop badgering people online with this bad faith "anti-woke" garbage.

1. Im am not a "Joe Rogan fan"

2. I was being hyperbolic.

You don't seem to want to respond to the central question

Is the evidence behind this talking point of 35 year old life expectancy or the sky high trans murder rate in anyway comparable
to the vaccines that have gone through double blind experiments, and have been studied by every major health institution on the planet earth??

what is your level of confidence in the data behind that statistic?

is your confidence level high enough that it should be used to police the bounds of acceptable artistic expression?

and is the triple banks shot argument that the jokes in the closer will lead to more trans death reasonable?

You can call me joe rogan fan, or "bad faith anti-woke" or want ever branding you want
it's not actually a counter argument, it's a comfortable cope to avoid facing obvious and basic questions about the claims that you're making.

But Trump's spokespeople said he was joking.

Perhaps the difference between us is that when I see the phrase "racist joke," the operative word in my mind is "racist," not "joke."

Roseanne was "joking." Don Imus was "joking." Bill Maher was "joking." Danny Ferry was "joking." Michael Richards was "joking." Mike Richards was "joking." Amos 'n' Andy were "joking." At what point is this no longer a valid defense?

If you call Alex Jones a stand-up comedian (as his lawyers might in a future custody hearing), that doesn't negate the impact of his speech.

Obviously Dave Chappelle fans aren't going to be whipped into a violent frenzy like a pack of conspiracy nuts, but cultivating prejudice carries consequences, and we know who's most likely to bear the brunt of that. It's not Caitlyn Jenner.

I didn't say that anything branded as a joke is instantly permissible.
I said the context is important, the context of a stand up comedy stage is different than the leader of the free world saying it at a lectern.

im not arguing that all jokes are always acceptable regardless of the situation, it's the opposite the situation and context are important.

this is instructive you keep shifting the argument to totally different instead of addressing the content of the The Closer.
you want to bring up other jokes from other people ranging from the president of the united states to 90's shock joke radio hosts.

im not arguing for some anti-woke no limits anything goes socitey.

Is the Dave Chappelle special The Closer acceptable artistic expression?
The dear white people show runner suggested the special needs to be amended or censored in some way.

Is that reasonable?

It's Canadian thanksgiving so my time to devote to this is limited.

Ill just say this, we have a socitey that prizes individuality and free expression but we have to balance it with justice, fairness, and inclusion.

I think it's normal and important to have conversations/arguments about where those lines are drawn.
im not some anti woke scold arguing for a socitey with zero limits or standards.

but I do not think it's healthy to shut down discussion with bad data and bank shot arguments about people dying as a result of that conversation.

it's possible im biased in favor of people who create art, and maybe you're right we should always draw the line as narrowly as possible.
but right now im not convinced The Closer is at all a reasonable place for that line to be draw.

if that's "bad faith" i dunno okay i guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom