DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Making Jim Gordon a black man is pointless. Just going for that typical black character/white character play off each other thing.

I'll be looking forward to this film, seems like one of those films the academy would eat up so I can understand the awards push. Some the comments I see kind of remind of the TDK praise when it first came out.

It’s definitely more akin to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. Especially the latter. That’s probably why they got Deniro. Failed standup comic with serious mental issues obsessing over a late night show? That’s King of Comedy.

Ok I went back and looked at both trailers and it def looks like 81-84 more than 86-88 NYC (I was wrong about it looking more like the mid-late 80s nyc. The clothing and hair is early 80s in the trailers) but I think the subway station is off...Bedford park looked different than it does now but you know how it is. They did what they could and they did a damn good job IMO.

I cant stress enough how important getting the grittiness of nyc/Gotham is to a film like this.

Off topic sorta but I remember I dated this girl from Charlotte nc and we got into a huge argument over Gotham being Chicago and not NYC in these movies lol. Welp, unless theres a Bedford park el station somewhere in Chicago and Chicago started using our subway trains I guess I won.

Last edited:
I thought the time period was late 70s nyc (a real horrible time in NYC).

Doesn't look like 80s NYC to me unless I missed soemthing.

Last edited:
Only thing that seems off is Joaquin is kinda old to put in a reboot.

It's a standalone film so I'm cool with it. Seems like it's going to not feel like a comic movie at all and just a modern take on King of Comedy with some easter eggs in it for the comic fans, which I'm kind of 50/50 about.

They might pull a Gotham and kill Joaquin's Joker. Or do an ambiguous ending like King of Comedy where we don't know if he lived or died.

Off topic sorta but I remember I dated this girl from Charlotte nc and we got into a huge argument over Gotham being Chicago and not NYC in these movies lol. Welp, unless theres a Bedford park el station somewhere in Chicago and Chicago started using our subway trains I guess I won.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both filmed in Chicago.

If there's one thing about the trailer the city looked a bit too clean and barren.

That's because New York as a whole is a lot cleaner now than it was in the 80s. It's gonna be hard for any production team to make it look like The Warriors.

I've always been under the impression that Gotham is based on Chicago and NYC. Although, Gotham is a nickname for NYC. I also heard that Gotham is in NJ. I think the art deco depictions of Gotham are definitely based on old NYC.

I know Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was mostly shot in Chicago (I believe he and his brother grew up there) but I know Dark Knight Rises had some scenes in NYC. I remember when they closed part of the Queensboro Bridge to shoot some scenes. And they shot on Wall Street.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both filmed in Chicago.
True but it felt like they shot it there but tried to pass it off as ny... like a mix but it was supposed to be like that since Gotham isnt a real place

Lol the person above me said it better.

I've always been under the impression that Gotham is based on Chicago and NYC. Although, Gotham is a nickname for NYC. I also heard that Gotham is in NJ. I think the art deco depictions of Gotham are definitely based on old NYC.

I know Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was mostly shot in Chicago (I believe he and his brother grew up there) but I know Dark Knight Rises had some scenes in NYC. I remember when they closed part of the Queensboro Bridge to shoot some scenes. And they shot on Wall Street.

That's a dumb question I got

Was NY called Gotham before or after Batman?

Back
Top Bottom