DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

In IGN's 8/10 review, the site says, "Wonder Woman 1984 is a film with a heart full of hope and love; a nostalgic look back to a beloved time that provides escapism from an exceptionally difficult year." They do, however, note that, "The adherence to a more classic superhero template means it is lacking in any genuine surprise or outstanding innovation."

Total Film enjoyed it, awarding Patty Jenkins' DC Comics sequel 4/5 with the summary describing it as, "A much-needed blockbuster full of humour, spectacle and optimism."

So, Wonder Woman 1984 has seemed to hit the right spot for lot of sites, but what do the trades make of it? Variety didn't like it. "As the wishes stack up and the world falls into chaos, 'Wonder Woman 1984' loses its way, and while it’s not bad enough to renounce the satisfaction of what came before, it’s enough to shift our focus back to our own real-world predicament," the review reads. "What we need right now this movie can’t solve, but just maybe, it will inspire someone who can."

The Hollywood Reporter seems to be somewhere in the middle, but points out that "there's still a lot to love" despite clearly not being keen on how the sequel plays out at times. Ultimately, they believe Wonder Woman 1984 "is at its entertaining best in the early sequences."

USA Today awards it 3/4, and summarise their review by explaining that, "the action-packed, heartwarming flick hits more than it misses, especially for fans waiting through a year full of release delays. And fortunately, Jenkins is the resident Santa Claus, gifting us this holiday season – even those stuck at home – with an action-packed, heartwarming flick full of grace, goodness and a tank-flipping, whip-smacking, baddie-bashing Gadot."

Unsurprisingly, The Playlist hated it (it's awarded a D+), but Entertainment Weekly, Polygon, and The Independent all scored it positively. In our review, we said that Wonder Woman 1984 is "A powerful, emotional sequel to 2017's Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984 makes wonder-ful use of its 1980s setting, and sees Pedro Pascal deliver another phenomenal performance as the delightfully maniacal Maxwell Lord."

1608076168431.png

I was about to say is that a potentially good WW movie I see but I don't want to get MoS'ed with what is probably just a good opening scene.

That type of flashback should've been in the first WW movie even if it didn't make 100% sense.

That one scene with Kristen Wiig and she was so Kristen Wiig :lol:

I remember when this was posted around the time right before BvS :smh:

To think they tried to convince us Nolan was a part of the choosing process of Snyder getting to direct Mos when in fact he was barely in the top 10.

I see all of Joss Whedon's projects got scrapped....for reasons

(don't mind him creatively but he's not a 'go to' for me, personally...) So, eh....

Back
Top Bottom