DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

^ Directors definitely have the ultimate YES or NO to how the film ends up.

This is of course barring producer/studio interference.

Do you guys think the reason why many will say the only DC character that had good movies is Batman is because of his villains?  I mean Batman has the #1 best Rogues Gallery by a landslide.  Do you think the other superheroes of DC can't have good movies because of their villains?

Nah, Marvels has pretty much depicted their almost all their villains horribly and their movies have been good to great.

Do you guys think the reason why many will say the only DC character that had good movies is Batman is because of his villains?  I mean Batman has the #1 best Rogues Gallery by a landslide.  Do you think the other superheroes of DC can't have good movies because of their villains?

Loki is the best Marvel villain to date. and he's not even a top tier villain.

It came down to script, acting and tone.

Batman films are almost always good because Batman himself is an interesting character.

Aside from the Joker, is there really a good villain on screen?

Bane was blah. Two Face? Mr Freeze? Scarecrow? Catwoman?

They didn't really deliver and were all really weak.

Burton's Penguin and Catwoman were pretty good, even Max Schreck (Walken).

Ra's was a pretty damn good villain in BB too.

Luthor in the 78' and 80's film weren't so terrible either.

Last edited:
-Bane was a good villain the movie was just blah. Bane was recognizable, had memorable lines, physically imposing and an actual threat to the protag, wasn't mindless. When he was on screen he commanded the viewers attention. Him going out like a ***** or the talia stuff was just bad writing

Ras al ghul was a solid villain. He could've been fleshed out a little bit more

Scarecrow and two face were both aside villains to the main bad guys. So they of course are under developed in comparison

If we go to the schumaker villains, their main purpose were to be hammy and over the top in contrast to the stoic Batman. Riddler two face and Freeze achieved that goal

they're serviceable IMO.

nowhere near the joker.

Definitely not leagues better than the throwaway Marvel villains.

Man was saying Bats films were good because of the good villains, IMO they have mostly been throwaway villains.

and I'm a DC guy ever since I was 2 years old. LOL

If Tom hardys bane was serviceable the movie would've fallen apart from the start

The Batman movies were good because of a mix of directing, great cinematography, great acting( not from Bale or Holmes but others), interesting villains who had personality, good writing for the most part

Last edited:
'The Flash' Movie Loses 'Dope' Director Rick Famuyiwa (Exclusive)

The Flash, Warner Bros.’ big-screen take on its speedster superhero, has lost its director.

Rick Famuyiwa, who made waves with his coming-of-age Sundance sensation Dope, has parted ways with the studio over "creative differences," The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Famuyiwa has been on board since June developing the project, even overseeing the castings of Kiersey Clemons and Billy Crudup in key roles.

The movie, which is to star Ezra Miller as Barry Allen, the fastest man alive, was in pre-production as it headed towards a March 2017 start date with a release date of March 16, 2018.

The departure of Famuyiwa will likely mean the delay of the movie’s start of production and release as Miller has a commitment in July.

"When I was approached by Warner Bros and DC about the possibility of directing The Flash, I was excited about the opportunity to enter this amazing world of characters that I loved growing up, and still do to this day," said Famuyiwa in a statement to THR.

He added: "I was also excited to work with Ezra Miller, who is a phenomenal young actor. I pitched a version of the film in line with my voice, humor, and heart. While it’s disappointing that we couldn’t come together creatively on the project, I remain grateful for the opportunity. I will continue to look for opportunities to tell stories that speak to a fresh generational, topical, and multicultural point of view. I wish Warner Brothers, DC, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns, and Ezra Miller all the best as they continue their journey into the speed force."

Sources say that the Dope director’s vision of making a movie with more edge clashed with the studio’s take.

Famuyiwa is now the second director to leave Flash. He put on the helmer's sneakers after Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the script and was attached to direct. (Grahame-Smith was working off a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who at one point were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-movie-loses-dope-director-rick-famuyiwa-942604

Joker is probably the best comic book villain to ever grace the big screen, it's really not fair to compare anyone to him and merely call them "serviceable" just because they do not stand up to Ledger.

And I'd say Ra's, Bane, Two-Face, Catwoman, Penguin, etc... are miles better than Malekith, Abomination, Vanko, Mandarin, Ronan and Yellowjacket.

'The Flash' Movie Loses 'Dope' Director Rick Famuyiwa (Exclusive)

The Flash, Warner Bros.’ big-screen take on its speedster superhero, has lost its director.

Rick Famuyiwa, who made waves with his coming-of-age Sundance sensation Dope, has parted ways with the studio over "creative differences," The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Famuyiwa has been on board since June developing the project, even overseeing the castings of Kiersey Clemons and Billy Crudup in key roles.

The movie, which is to star Ezra Miller as Barry Allen, the fastest man alive, was in pre-production as it headed towards a March 2017 start date with a release date of March 16, 2018.

The departure of Famuyiwa will likely mean the delay of the movie’s start of production and release as Miller has a commitment in July.

"When I was approached by Warner Bros and DC about the possibility of directing The Flash, I was excited about the opportunity to enter this amazing world of characters that I loved growing up, and still do to this day," said Famuyiwa in a statement to THR.

He added: "I was also excited to work with Ezra Miller, who is a phenomenal young actor. I pitched a version of the film in line with my voice, humor, and heart. While it’s disappointing that we couldn’t come together creatively on the project, I remain grateful for the opportunity. I will continue to look for opportunities to tell stories that speak to a fresh generational, topical, and multicultural point of view. I wish Warner Brothers, DC, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns, and Ezra Miller all the best as they continue their journey into the speed force."

Sources say that the Dope director’s vision of making a movie with more edge clashed with the studio’s take.

Famuyiwa is now the second director to leave Flash. He put on the helmer's sneakers after Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the script and was attached to direct. (Grahame-Smith was working off a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who at one point were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-movie-loses-dope-director-rick-famuyiwa-942604

Directors now too edgy for DC :lol:

DC needs to just get Edgar Wright for more humor.

I wouldn't say all that. Spider-Man's is just as good. Beyond that though, it's all about the final product. Sinestro and Parallax are just fine as villains and any Green Lantern fan will tell you as much, the film itself was just a bad film. From there, you've only given films to Batman and Superman afterwards anyways. So it's not like there's a large pool of films to pick from apart from Batman.

I wonder if this is in result to DC Execs taking more control of the franchise (Geoff Johns and Co.) to create a more cohesive story line.

I like Yellowjacket.

I`m just coming from the POV of villains making Batman movies what they are, and I think it`s false.

No villain has ever really carried a film other than the one exception.

I think you are being a bit too specific, no other movies were made with much emphasis on the villain.

TDK can be argued as a Joker movie just because you can view it as everything evolving around him and Batman was simply in it for the ride.

To make a fair comparison, other movies has to be made that way and then have failed.

Only other film that could really be compared is Suicide Squad or the Sinister6 movie Sony had planned before.

Villains aren't usually meant to carry a film and again Ledgers Joker was more an exception than the norm so it is unfair to write-off every other villain just because they weren't used to the same capacity.

Loki was a a great villain I thought, on both Thor1 and A1 and his screentime wasn't too much in either but you got his presence and his threat.

Back
Top Bottom