Would you guys agree that..
Bird > Lebron > Pippen ?

nerd.gif

1. Bird
2. Dr.J or Lebron
4. Elgin Baylor
5. Pippen

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Scottie Pippen was a great player but Jordan made him a great player.  Lets say hypothetically he left the Bulls via free agency after the 1st 3 peat. He would've gone on to be a great player who could take your team to the playoffs with some help by he wasnt in Lebron's caliber as far as being a player that can totally carry your team deep into the playoffs and win MVPs. Pippen complemented Jordan. There's no way Pippen wins championships without being on team with Jordan, Hakeem or a team full of stars.

Lebron is already about to enter the conversation of best Small Forward ever with this man.

larry-bird.jpg

So what's LeBron doing any different than Pippen if he "hypothetically" left Chicago? Same playoff results and Bron still needs help with Wade. Pippen almost single handedly took Chi deep into the playoffs after Jordan retired too. And if it wasn't for the Lakers in game 7 in the 2000 WCF Pippen may of had his 7th ring with Portland.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Scottie Pippen was a great player but Jordan made him a great player.  Lets say hypothetically he left the Bulls via free agency after the 1st 3 peat. He would've gone on to be a great player who could take your team to the playoffs with some help by he wasnt in Lebron's caliber as far as being a player that can totally carry your team deep into the playoffs and win MVPs. Pippen complemented Jordan. There's no way Pippen wins championships without being on team with Jordan, Hakeem or a team full of stars.

Lebron is already about to enter the conversation of best Small Forward ever with this man.

larry-bird.jpg

So what's LeBron doing any different than Pippen if he "hypothetically" left Chicago? Same playoff results and Bron still needs help with Wade. Pippen almost single handedly took Chi deep into the playoffs after Jordan retired too. And if it wasn't for the Lakers in game 7 in the 2000 WCF Pippen may of had his 7th ring with Portland.

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yea both LeBron and Pippen had/have questionable jumpshots. And Pippen had troubles at the line at one point of his career. I remember him booting the ball into the stands because he missed game tying free throws.

Offensively, LeBron is superior to Pippen in my eyes. Better passer. Can run the "point" just as Pippen did.

This....I look at Lebron as somewhat being a "Pippen on steroids" offensively, and this is not a knock on Scottie's offensive arsenal, but more of a credit to Lebron's offensive prowess. 
However, Lebron is not seeing Pippen defensively. Lebron is a good defender, but Pip locked guys down. I would even go as far as to say Scottie is perhaps the most complete defensive player in the history of the league...Elite defensive awareness, long, athletic, and deceptively strong despite his frame. 

these two quotes sum it up. 

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yea both LeBron and Pippen had/have questionable jumpshots. And Pippen had troubles at the line at one point of his career. I remember him booting the ball into the stands because he missed game tying free throws.

Offensively, LeBron is superior to Pippen in my eyes. Better passer. Can run the "point" just as Pippen did.

This....I look at Lebron as somewhat being a "Pippen on steroids" offensively, and this is not a knock on Scottie's offensive arsenal, but more of a credit to Lebron's offensive prowess. 
However, Lebron is not seeing Pippen defensively. Lebron is a good defender, but Pip locked guys down. I would even go as far as to say Scottie is perhaps the most complete defensive player in the history of the league...Elite defensive awareness, long, athletic, and deceptively strong despite his frame. 

these two quotes sum it up. 

Originally Posted by RawSheed

can someone explain the kukoc-pippen on the bench situation again.
His defining moment happened during the 1994 playoffs, when Pippen refused to re-enter Game 3 against New York after Jackson called the final play for Toni Kukoc. Instead of laying into Pippen after the game, Jackson trusted his players to handle the immediate aftermath. It ended up being done by Bill Cartwright, who screamed at Scottie with tears rolling down his face, incredulous that one of the league's most unselfish players would undermine that dogfight of a season -- when the Bulls somehow remained contenders with Jordan playing baseball -- by acting so selfishly.

Jackson waited for the room to calm down, judged the moment for what it was, chalked it up as an aberration and moved on. More than a few coaches would have abandoned Pippen, claimed that he lost the team, pushed for him to be traded that summer. Jackson knew that Pippen's mistake came from a complicated place, a Molotov cocktail of insecurity, ego and frustration about his unfair salary. When Jordan left, everyone pushed Scottie to be the leader -- including Jackson -- but the Bulls didn't pay him like other franchise players, and now they were giving away his "You the man!" moment? Jackson wanted to understand why Pippen handled it so poorly, figured it out, determined it wouldn't happen again (hopefully), and defended him going forward. Coaching isn't just about calling plays, riding the officials and figuring out strategies. Really, it's management more than anything else. You manage people. Jackson managed people better than anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110513&sportCat=nba

Originally Posted by RawSheed

can someone explain the kukoc-pippen on the bench situation again.
His defining moment happened during the 1994 playoffs, when Pippen refused to re-enter Game 3 against New York after Jackson called the final play for Toni Kukoc. Instead of laying into Pippen after the game, Jackson trusted his players to handle the immediate aftermath. It ended up being done by Bill Cartwright, who screamed at Scottie with tears rolling down his face, incredulous that one of the league's most unselfish players would undermine that dogfight of a season -- when the Bulls somehow remained contenders with Jordan playing baseball -- by acting so selfishly.

Jackson waited for the room to calm down, judged the moment for what it was, chalked it up as an aberration and moved on. More than a few coaches would have abandoned Pippen, claimed that he lost the team, pushed for him to be traded that summer. Jackson knew that Pippen's mistake came from a complicated place, a Molotov cocktail of insecurity, ego and frustration about his unfair salary. When Jordan left, everyone pushed Scottie to be the leader -- including Jackson -- but the Bulls didn't pay him like other franchise players, and now they were giving away his "You the man!" moment? Jackson wanted to understand why Pippen handled it so poorly, figured it out, determined it wouldn't happen again (hopefully), and defended him going forward. Coaching isn't just about calling plays, riding the officials and figuring out strategies. Really, it's management more than anything else. You manage people. Jackson managed people better than anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110513&sportCat=nba

Sometimes we forget that these guys are people too. I dont think that Scottie was a terribly selfish guy for doing that, but its the one reason you cannot state that hes an all time top 3 great at his position.
I dont think his not taking the shot was terrible its that after 3 NBA titles Scottie was still insecure in his stature. It was in that moment basketball became more about the things the auxiliary aspects that come with basketball, critical achlaim, and money. I dont doubt that Scottie was disapointed in himself, and his coach.

Sometimes we forget that these guys are people too. I dont think that Scottie was a terribly selfish guy for doing that, but its the one reason you cannot state that hes an all time top 3 great at his position.
I dont think his not taking the shot was terrible its that after 3 NBA titles Scottie was still insecure in his stature. It was in that moment basketball became more about the things the auxiliary aspects that come with basketball, critical achlaim, and money. I dont doubt that Scottie was disapointed in himself, and his coach.

I never liked the Pippen - Lebron comparison...if I had to tell someone who never saw him play what Scottie's game was like, I'd say think Andre Iguadala with a better jumper and defensive focus.

I never liked the Pippen - Lebron comparison...if I had to tell someone who never saw him play what Scottie's game was like, I'd say think Andre Iguadala with a better jumper and defensive focus.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Yup thats who he is.....
The perfect second bananna....
Iggy would be so good on a title contender

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Yup thats who he is.....
The perfect second bananna....
Iggy would be so good on a title contender

Back
Top Bottom