Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Copout?
All i meant was whether we win a championship or not, I'm going to be a Laker fan for life.
I'm not "excusing" us from losing...like CP said, we expect greatness.
But i'm not going to jump ship and become a OKC fan just because we stopped winning championships.
Can't win every year, even though we expect/want to.
Fan for Life.
Kapeesh?
I absolutely understood what you were saying. But saying 'win or lose' for such a consistently excellent and winning franchise seems a little trivial is all, copout might have been the wrong term to use.

Didn't mean no offense or disrespect 

Not winning = losing.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Unless our season ends on Figeroua, we lost. Period.

doesnt matter if you are from LA or not

you can follow the franchise
Expound on this please. I've never understood this, serious.
theres nothing to understand, its just something to accept. a lot of people follow their local teams and thats fine because it is a choice. its their choice. others like to follow non local teams and that should be fine too.

if i told you i was from cali and i follow the timberwolves, you would just probably wonder wth?

i think people look at laker fans who are not from LA in a different light because of the past and how they are constant contenders throughout the years with very short down years.

with that said...you could still follow the team in seattle
nerd.gif
Well, based on what I've said and based on what you just said, I think you already know I won't be doing that 
laugh.gif

Any Kings fan that follows that team, if they move, is an idiot. No ifs and buts about it. 

Idk if anyone will actually come up with a real response.... but NobleKane had me thinking, what does being a Lakers fan mean to yall?

what the what??? boy your about to be banned from applying to become a laker fan for atleast two years now!!!

it means always having a competitive championship caliber team on the floor

almost always i mean because them years inbetween magic and after shaq were kinda rough :lol:

being hated on 24/7 because your franchise ran over the majority of other fans teams.

being hated on because of just plain jealousy in a nutshell

basically it means you have a bigger penis than everybody else

Last edited:
Being a Laker fan is torture.

The term morally victory doesn't exist.

Championship or Bust is what we live by.

You will be ridiculed by every other fan base when your team doesn't win a championship.

You will spend countless hours defending your franchise, explaining to people about Big Market Franchises vs. Small Market Franchises.

If you don't live in LA you will be called a bandwagon fan regardless of how long you've been a fan, and you'll have to defend yourself at bars numerous times.

You will have to deal with random no namers in the league having career games against you.

You will hate the color green and anything that has to do with the color green, including St. Patrick's Day.

You can't make vacation time with significant others during June, because you know damn well you aren't going to give them the proper attention with the Lakers being on.

Most likely you'll never have floor seats to a game, and being in the lower bowl at Staples is pretty tame, although being in the 300's will show you what true Laker fans are about.

But realize, this torture, the lack of moral victories, the constant bandwagon name calling, Ronnie Brewer going off for 30 and 10, all means nothing when you see the streamers coming down and your team holding up that Larry O'Brien Trophy.

Not winning = losing.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Unless our season ends on Figeroua, we lost. Period.
Naw dude, I absolutely get that not winning a title=losing. Listening to Max/Marcellus and Mason/Ireland everyday, I've had that drilled into my head.

I'm just saying that the Lakers are a unique franchise, in that essentially, no other franchise looks at winning and success in such a black and white way (and I think I already know how you're going to respond 
laugh.gif
). Does the Bobcats, Wizards, Hornets, Kings, go in to a season with an NBA title as their end all, be all goal?

I can only think of the Spurs, Thunder, and Heat as the other teams with the championship or bust 'winning' mentality. 

All these responses are cool 
smokin.gif

So is it fair to say that as a Lakers fan, it means to be perfect/excellent? 

When were yall supposed to get Kidd??? And wasn't the Staples center technically built for the LA Kings?? 

and permanently denied?!?!? 
frown.gif
laugh.gif

AEG owns the kings and a part of the lakers, if I remember right it was built for both to move out of the forum in order to develop downtown into what we have today (la live)

That said, cosign to everything CP said. Ill go ahead and skip the basic rules of fandom (ride or die with your team, know the players, etc.) Being a laker fan is expecting, no, demanding, championships. It's demanding a higher standard of basketball, never accepting "rebuilding"' and a legacy of the greatest players ever to play the game. Dr. Buss built the franchise to be the premier gem of the NBA, I like to think he succeeded.

Edit: now that I think about it, it's also being spoiled :lol: . We like to laugh at the dark ages of sucky crapkins and smushcalade, but whenever I watched those games I wanted to throw my tv out the window. Even if they only missed the playoffs once :lol:

Last edited:
Idk if anyone will actually come up with a real response.... but NobleKane had me thinking, what does being a Lakers fan mean to yall?
what the what??? boy your about to be banned from applying to become a laker fan for atleast two years now!!!

it means always having a competitive championship caliber team on the floor

almost always i mean because them years inbetween magic and after shaq were kinda rough
laugh.gif

being hated on 24/7 because your franchise ran over the majority of other fans teams.

being hated on because of just plain jealousy in a nutshell

basically it means you have a bigger penis than everybody else
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 rep'd

And strangely enough, this post is probably the one that's made sense the most
I feel sorry for your ears for hearing Max and Marcellus discuss Laker basketball.
Tell me about it, when they are on in the afternoon, more often than not I would just plug my iPhone into my car and use the TuneIn radio app to listen to Sacramento sports talk radio 
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, get the Spurs, Thunder and Heat outta there.

I'm not talkin single season win or nothin, EVERY season is win or nothin. Those other 3 ain't like that. They are fine most years makin the playoffs.

Us, and Boston think otherwise, and even Boston slept for 2 decades. And they only have 4 the last 35 year's.

The unforgettable memories - wins, titles, championships, game winners, trades, accomplishments. The types of good memories where you remember where you were, how you reacted, who you were with

Every sports fan has memories, but in the NBA, I don't feel like a lot of other teams can challenge the Lakers in good memories. Even the Spurs, with all their success and greatness, can't compete in this field... because they're relatively unspectacular and uneventful (I want to avoid the word "boring") when they do win.

Last edited:
That said, cosign to everything CP said. Ill go ahead and skip the basic rules of fandom (ride or die with your team, know the players, etc.) Being a laker fan is expecting, no, demanding, championships. It's demanding a higher standard of basketball, never accepting "rebuilding"' and a legacy of the greatest players ever to play the game. Dr. Buss built the franchise to be the premier gem of the NBA, I like to think he succeeded.

Edit: now that I think about it, it's also being spoiled
laugh.gif
. We like to laugh at the dark ages of sucky crapkins and smushcalade, but whenever I watched those games I wanted to throw my tv out the window. Even if they only missed the playoffs once
laugh.gif
Spoiled sounds about right 
laugh.gif
 thats kind of along the lines of what I was getting at with having to trick yourselves into thinking you're losing.
The unforgettable memories - wins, titles, championships, game winners, trades, accomplishments. The types of good memories where you remember where you were, how you reacted, who you were with

Every sports fan has memories, but in the NBA, I don't feel like a lot of other teams can challenge the Lakers in good memories. Even the Spurs, with all their success and greatness, can't compete in this field... because they're relatively unspectacular and uneventful (I want to avoid the word "boring") when they do win.
This was kind what I was looking forward to hearing. 
Man, get the Spurs, Thunder and Heat outta there.

I'm not talkin single season win or nothin, EVERY season is win or nothin. Those other 3 ain't like that. They are fine most years makin the playoffs.

Us, and Boston think otherwise, and even Boston slept for 2 decades. And they only have 4 the last 35 year's.
Good point, I don't want to get DBD in here.

Exactly, the Lakers are essentially one of a kind with the franchise mentality of winning.

What I was trying to differentiate was that, because of that one of a kind branding, the Lakers (and their fans) have a different perspective of winning and losing. And as an outsider looking in (with a different ideology of winning), seems to me the Lakers losing is winning in my eyes.

NVE - reverse roof raise
Shaq dunking on Dudley and pushing him off
Getting eliminated by Jazz late 90s
Kobe to Shaq Game 7 vs Portland
2000 Champion (Phil's first year as coach)
15-1 Playoff Run in 2001
2002 - 3peat
Payton-Bryant-Malone-Shaq
.4 2004
Heartbreak against Pistons
Bye Bye Shaq, hello Brian Grant
Kwame Brown era
81 Points
Bye bye Kwane, hello Gasol
2008-Heartbreak part 2
2009-Back to the top
2010-Vengence
2011-Jackson era over
Basketball Reasons
Team Fire Mike Brown
Nash-Howard
2013-TBD

Being a Lakers fan is being a fan of the standard of excellence for any NBA team. Being a fan of this team also brings a level of "hate" from others, so we have to take those things in stride. But we all know the hate comes from the success of the franchise.

I've been a fan of this team all my life, I was raised in a family where the Lakers are the team. Moving to the east coast a few years ago, it brought in a new obstacle that I didn't have when I lived in LA; staying up late to watch the games. Every NBA season, when the Lakers play games out on the west, that means I have to stay up until 1:30-2 am. But I don't never miss any game no matter how late, even when I have finals, I still manage to watch.

I know the majority of our seasons we've had a winning record, but the seasons where we struggle, I still stand by the team no matter what.

This team just has a different aura than other teams. The rich history from the players, coaches, even our play by play commentator (Chick) are legends. Every city they go, this organization has a following.

16 NBA Championships, 25 Finals appearances, the hall of fame players that have put on the purple & gold. When you look up at Staples and see those banners and retired numbers, it sends chills down your spine. Knowing that is the team that means so much to you, it makes you proud to be a fan. I will die being a fan of this team, no matter what happens.

To me that is what being a fan of this team means.

Example of a Laker memory - I will forever remember everything about the day the Pau Gasol trade occured. I will remember my friend breaking the news to me, being shocked it didn't involve Bynum or LO, going through reactions online, what I ate for lunch (pasta), watching the game vs. the Raptors later that day (thru an online stream cause this was when KCAL was still tape delaying 4PM games), seeing how Kobe was all hyped up, him dunking like 5 times, what I did that night, & waking up early to watch the game vs WAS on Sunday thinking Gasol was playing (he didn't). And just being overall ecstatic as a fan.

I think a lot about how other teams don't really get this experience - trading for or signing a star, that you know is going to make a huge difference. Even the Knicks... before Melo, the biggest players they landed were Stat and Steve Francis. Whoopee.

Being a Lakers fan is being a fan of the standard of excellence for any NBA team. Being a fan of this team also brings a level of "hate" from others, so we have to take those things in stride. But we all know the hate comes from the success of the franchise.

I've been a fan of this team all my life, I was raised in a family where the Lakers are the team. Moving to the east coast a few years ago, it brought in a new obstacle that I didn't have when I lived in LA; staying up late to watch the games. Every NBA season, when the Lakers play games out on the west, that means I have to stay up until 1:30-2 am. But I don't never miss any game no matter how late, even when I have finals, I still manage to watch.

I know the majority of our seasons we've had a winning record, but the seasons where we struggle, I still stand by the team no matter what.

This team just has a different aura than other teams. The rich history from the players, coaches, even our play by play commentator (Chick) are legends. Every city they go, this organization has a following.

16 NBA Championships, 25 Finals appearances, the hall of fame players that have put on the purple & gold. When you look up at Staples and see those banners and retired numbers, it sends chills down your spine. Knowing that is the team that means so much to you, it makes you proud to be a fan. I will die being a fan of this team, no matter what happens.

To me that is what being a fan of this team means.
nthat.gif
 I'm starting to get a clearer picture of the non-LA resident Lakers fans, makes sense.

First time I was at a Lakers game was just before the Pau trade went down, the first thing I noticed when I stepped into the Staples Center was the banners and numbers, as a Lakers hater, I couldn't do nothing but have this face on 
laugh.gif

couldn't do anything but respect and admire that success.

I remember two threads EXPLODING on here.

The day Kobe asked to be traded

And the day Pau was traded.

I would hit reply, and 7 new pages would be there to have to get thru. Reply again, 5 more pages. People were POURING in.

This was pre Twitter too, so it was all updates, word of mouth, radio reports, articles being typed on the fly, Laker fans were fighting frantically in the Kobe thread.
Then when we got Pau, it was giddiness for us, hatred from others. Collusion claims, brawls, people throwing fits, everything.

Even the CP3 thread wasn't as taxing as those were. I remember asking in the Kobe trade thread at the end of the day, anyone else feel exhausted right now? KB8 replied right away, dude, I've smoked a whole pack today. :lol:

All the other game threads, season threads ,anti thread, appreciation threads, all of it, those 2 stand out to me. Cuz they came out of nowhere. Just random early morning someone posts it real quick, it catches fire, and explodes. Ruined entire days of productivity for me at work. Lucky I ain't get my *** fired. :lol:

For me being a lakers fan has been just as much about the role players than the stars. As much as i love kobe and he is my favorite player ever, I wore 18 in highschool because all i could do was shoot and i wanted to be like sasha. i remember logging on every day and voting to get my boy DJ Mbenga on the all star game, being sad the day we traded Fish even though he was useless on the basketball court. While it will always be about the end goal of the championship its great to have seen so many different personalities come through our team through the years

Kobe should sit for another game.. Gasol is enough to beat the Wiz .. i just want that ankle fully healed going into the playoffs

By the way... If you're on twitter.. Here's a great list of the people to follow (it's who I have for Lakers news/players)

Beto Duran (ESPN 710) @DuranSports
Ramona Shelburne (ESPN LA) @ramonashelburne
Mark Medina (LA Daily News) @MarkG_Medina
Max Kellerman (ESPN 710) @Max_Kellerman
Mike Bresnahan (LA Times) @Mike_Bresnahan
LakersNation.com @LakersNationCom
LakersNation.com (a lot of in game tweets) @LakersNation
LakersNation Backup @OneLakersNation
Darius Soriano (ESPN Lakers blog) @forumbluegold
Eric Pincus (LA Times/Hoopsworld) @EricPincus
Dave McMenamin (ESPN LA, TWC) @mcten
John Ireland (ESPN 710 Play-by-Play) @LAIreland