Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Assume Phil Jax is back, what changes to the roster do you see coming to make it more triangle friendly. I have no doubt that Phil is bright enough to know how to incorporate Nash into the offense by using some pick and roll offense but are there other players available by trade or free agency that we can go after (eg Kenyon Martin etc). Thoughts?

They need to find another Trevor Ariza or Shannon Brown that could inject some athleticism into the rotation.

Last edited:
They need to find another Trevor Ariza or Shannon Brown that could inject some athleticism into the rotation.

I'm telling you... Ariza will be traded.. We need to unload someone for an expiring contract (Blake) and go after him :D

Last edited:
Phil Jackson coming back for his 3rd run to coach the Lake Show makes sense because:

-He is motivated to coach again because he's a competitive guy and clearly didn't like how his 2nd run with the Lake show ended by getting swept by the Mavs.Best believe that he's heard Mark Cuban's comments running his mouth and that's also motivating hi\m.
-I don't give a damn who you are in this world but nobody in their right mind would turn down $15 to $20 million a season to comeback for any job.
-Lets be real here what coach of his caliber would turn down a chance to coach Dwight, Kobe, Nash, Pau.
-He's well rested and re energized to coach again.He didn't take any other coaching jobs in places like Portland & Orlando last year because he didn't like the strike shortened season.

I'm telling you... Ariza will be traded.. We need to unload someone for an expiring contract (Blake) and go after him :D
There it is.

I could see a situation where this could happen. The Wizards would have to really be in the dumps, which isn't out of the question. A Blake, Clark and Ebanks offer for Ariza works.

Phil Jackson meets with Lakers Vice President Jim Buss

The Lakers concluded preliminary talks Saturday with former coach Phil Jackson, a feeling-out process that would continue, The Times has learned.

Team Vice President Jim Buss and Jackson met Saturday morning to explore the prospects of Jackson returning to the team.

The Lakers are unwavering that there’s still a 95% certainty he will be their next coach. It's known that Jackson has already contacted assistant coaches who have worked with him previously about joining the Lakers' staff. It doesn't appear to be a problem for Lakers management.

The desire of Lakers fans and players to have Jackson return has been matched by management's desire to have him back on the bench. There's been speculation since Jackson's departure of a rift between Buss and him. It does not appear to be a deterrent in present discussions.

Until it becomes a certainty that Jackson is ready to return to coaching, the Lakers will continue the search process. It's believed they have an interest in talking to former NBA coaches Mike D'Antoni, Nate McMillan and Mike Dunleavy.

No formal offer was made Saturday, but it’s well understood the job is Jackson’s if he wants it. Sources were unclear whether discussions had advanced to the stage of salary and contract length.

The Lakers appear to be willing to give Jackson all the time necessary to determine if he wants to return to coaching. Interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff will guide the team Sunday against Sacramento at Staples Center.

Jackson’s health is fine, according to people who have spoken to him, but he is hedging a bit because of all the travel done by NBA teams. He has always disliked the routine of 41 regular-season road games — 39 for the Lakers, who play two designated away games against the Clippers at Staples Center.

The Lakers have played only two road games this season, neither of them against the Clippers, meaning a long, steady stream of road trips awaits the team.

As Jackson ponders his immediate future, he’ll consider the late-arriving flights in different time zones, the sometimes unpalatable food, the unfamiliar beds and unpredictable weather that might be ahead of him.

No stronger testimonial for Jackson came than the one from Kobe Bryant, who seemed almost apologetic for sustaining game-changing soreness in his right knee toward the end of the 2010-11 season.

The Lakers were swept by Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals that year, Bryant scoring only 17 points in the last two losses. He went to Germany a month later for an innovative procedure on his ailing right knee.

“The one thing that’s kind of always bothered me is that in his last year I wasn't able to give him my normal self,” Kobe Bryant said Friday night. “I was playing on one leg and that’s kind of always eaten away at me. The last year of his career I wasn't able to give him all I had.”

“He’s too great of a coach to have it go out that way. That’s my personal sentiment. I took it to heart because I couldn’t give it everything I had because I physically couldn’t. My knee was shot. That’s always bothered me.”

Jackson would replace Mike Brown, who was fired Friday amid the Lakers' 1-4 start, their worst since 1993.

Logical choices to join Jackson's staff would be Kurt Rambis, if he can get out of TV analyst commitments, Jim Cleamons and Frank Hamble, all of whom have been assistants under Jackson in the past.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...phil-jackson-meeting-20121110,0,2677749.story

Ya getting Ariza would definitely be a plus to this years squad he has won with Kobe and Phil, he also adds needed athleticism to the team. Ever since they let him go I've always hoped we would get him back but who knows what happens one thing for sure is that bench needs a true athletic scorer.

Here is my take on the entire coaching situation: It just seems strange for Phil to take a job during the season that is already up and running. But given the circumstances I can see that this was in the works long before Mike Brown's firing. Looking at the game last night with Bernie coaching, I looked at the staff on the sideline and said to somebody there is not a coach on the sideline that Kobe can respect. I mean who are these people and what is their resume to garner Kobe's attention. I look at Kobe's career like the end of Jordan's career in Chicago - Phil is the only coach at this point who can challenge them at push them to that next level, Brown and his coaching staff, just did not have the credentials to get this done. I would not be surprised in the elder Buss; Jerry was pushing Jim to get rid of Mike to some degree.

Kobe said that he supported Mike 100% and if that was true he would still be coaching the team, so there is that dynamic. Among other people I agree that Bryan Shaw should have gotten this job off the top and kept that incumbent staff. I also agree with the PTI show that when Brown was hired; it was questionable because Brown is about defense and in L.A. where there is nt football team you have to win with style. Hence the late start in the Sunday basketball games. Which basically means you have to win but it can not be 75 to 70 off of a bunch of back cuts and misdirection plays. For the ticket prices the Lakers charge you HAVE to be entertaining, and even if the Lakers were 4 -1 instead of 1 -4, it just was not happening with Brown's offense.

Even this season so far you could see Brown had lost the team. When they were up by 24 and the starters came back in, you see Howard (who is ALWAYS laughing and giggling) laugh in Brown's face which was total disrespect and showed he had lost the team early. Growing up everyone heard the saying that a picture is worth a 1000 words, and that is very true with the Kobe stare at Mike Brown, which I think was the final straw.

Finally and I do not want to bring a debate here, but it shows you how good LeBron James was in Clev., with this mans putrid coaching style and offense. Brown would be a good coach for a young team; i.e. Bobcats, and maybe even the Thunder. But he has been given the reigns to the TOP 2 players in the league and has done nothing.

1. Does anyone think that Brown gets another coaching gig in the NBA?
2. How much of Brown's staff stays on in L.A.? Or is everyone gone and does Phil bring in his own. It just seems to me Bickerstaff and company are just in a lame duck situation until word comes down from the front office.

Phil will be the Lakers coach. They knew they could get him before they canned Mike Brown, so they did. If he won games, theyd have no reason too. But he didn’t, they found out about his health, interest, and he hasnt lost touch with the lakers his girl works there. So Lakers started losing, so they cut Mike that quick to roll wit a sure winner they could surely obtain. Think about it. Everyone aint shocked he got fired, just how fast he got fired. If you get deaded abruptly with lil room to work through ur issues, theres somebody on the side. If that somebody is a dime (plus 1), thats ez decision.

1. Does anyone think that Brown gets another coaching gig in the NBA?
2. How much of Brown's staff stays on in L.A.? Or is everyone gone and does Phil bring in his own. It just seems to me Bickerstaff and company are just in a lame duck situation until word comes down from the front office.

1. Yes
2. I'm hoping Pearson & Hamm stay. But who knows.

Back
Top Bottom