Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jarrod N Rudolph ‏@JRudolphSports

Hiring D'Antoni over Phil Jackson is crazier than firing two coaches in one season. Fans would forgive and forget once the winning starts.

Like CP said earlier, just be patient guys.

The upside to all this is that--All this losing is happening with Nash and Pau out. I think when you guys get the entire team healthy, you'll turn things around.

Kobe can't be going for 30+ points anymore and expecting to win games. Lakers need to incorporate Dwight more and open up the floor.

But the double edge sword is if Kobe doesn't score 30.. We lose by 15+ in 80% of the games...

He shot 57%...

The rest of the team made 1 less shot.. Despite 19 more attempts.

This was just one game though. I know Kobe goes off when the team struggles, but he can't do that and expect a win. All the greats found a way to get their teams into the game without having to constantly put the team on his back. I know Kobe is capable of doing it.

D'antoni is a horrible horrible defensive coach. i've had to watch him coach the Knicks for 4 long seasons and it took Melo coming in to kick him out of town. Was it deserved? Of course not, but we weren't going anywhere with him as our coach. The man doesn't preach defense and doesn't put in the time during practices to work on it either. All he ever wants is a team full of shooters, 2 big guys that set nice picks (one of whom should be a flex type that can shoot as well) and a PG that runs around with the ball and keeps the movement going.

When the going gets tough and he doesn't have the "tools" to make his system work--He panics and throws different random ideas into the pot without thinking things through. He got VERY lucky with Lin last season. Without Lin, the Knicks wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. Plain and simple.

The brand of basketball that he preaches just doesn't cut it. It's fun and exciting to watch at first, but when the losses keep piling up, you grow sick of it sooner than later.

When Nash and Pau comes back, everyone will know what's expected of Nash, but it'll be VERY interesting to see how Pau fits into the offense.

Worst part is Lakers defense is that bad.. But it's hard to hold teams under 100 when you have to defend 87 shots without FTs... If the Cavs shot 40% they'd still be at 90 points.. You have to play perfect offense, and perfect defense to win these games.....

And you're right, no player can carry the team on his back night in, night out... Kobe can bring us close single handed, but asking him to make every shot for 5 minutes is absurd...

For the offense to work right.. Kobe not only has to score at a high rate by creating for himself, but create for EVERY single player... Lebron can't do that, Jordan couldn't.. No one can night in, night out.

Difference with Jordan was that he knew when to pick his moments to hog. Especially later into his career. There would be nights the Bulls struggled offensively and Jordan found ways to get his team involved. It's like running in the NFL. You run enough and the pass game will open up.

Kobe goes off, the defense focuses of him and that'll leave teammates open to make plays. Kobe needs to see that soon enough in games and get that going. I watch these Laker games sometimes, and he doesn't do that as often as he should.

I still think if you had a defensive minded coach, none of this would be an issue.

^ Last part is definitely true... But it wasn't Brown either... His practices were just too much for this team, he ran practices like 2 a day gauntlets every day.. Brown would have been a MUCH BETTER coach if he didn't try to micro manage every detail, and have everything perfect... Which is why he ran 4 hour daily practices for an older team...

I don't think Kobe is doing the wrong thing... At the same time, if you are not making your shots consistently, something else has to change.. If you are down by 10 and no one is making shots, then it's 15.. You can't just keep doing the same things..

And Kobe has to carry the team.. And when he does pass it up.. Everything collapses and it becomes hot potato to get it back to Kobe..

D'Antoni still runs ISO Kobe every play too.. No picks. No movement.. Nothing..

It's comical.

Last edited:
SOMEBODY BAN THIS DUDE.
He been warned and everything multiple times, this is a TEAM thread, get the hell out of here and stop coming back. Nobody on the entire board even wants to hear what you have to say, especially us. Get lost troll.

nobody hits the report button.

apparently they do not know about the team thread rules or really dont care about getting banned since niketalk doesnt have the member approval thing no more :lol:

I thought D'Antoni was going to bring in Nate McMillan?:smh:

What good is that gonna do? D'antoni brought in Woodson and the Knicks still sucked on defense up until Woodson got the head coaching job.

It's not about who you bring in. It's about how much time you put in towards defense in practice. It doesn't even stop there. A lot is involved such as running drills, defensive plays and watching tape on defense. Ultimately, being a good defensive team means having a specific style and attitude when you step into the court, a swagger for a lack of better words.

All that stuff really changes a team when you properly put in the time towards working on a teams defense.

Bringing in Nate McMillian won't help at all. D'antoni will still have his "half and hour long" defensive practices and then focus on offense. Dude is also a punk when it comes to managing star players. He doesn't hold them accountable at all.

You guys should've brought back Phil, but management has their ego. Jim wanted to maintain his plan of creating his own Laker legacy, similar to his dad Jerry. As you all know, Phil wanted to come in and change the complexion of the Lakers and make it his own. Phil wanted to ultimately be immortalized and synonymously linked to a team and their greatness.

That's why a part of me still believes Phil is a little envious of Pat Riely because of that, even though he has more rings.

Last edited:

What good is that gonna do? D'antoni brought in Woodson and the Knicks still sucked on defense up until Woodson got the head coaching job.
That's a lie. The Knicks were good before D'Antoni re-signed last season. They just happened to get better after he left.

You guys should've brought back Phil, but management has their ego. Jim wanted to maintain his plan of creating his own Laker legacy, similar to his dad Jerry. As you all know, Phil wanted to come in and change the complexion of the Lakers make it his own. Phil wanted to ultimately be immortalized and synonymously linked to a team and their greatness. A part of me still believes Phil is a little envious of Pat Riely because of that, even though he has more rings.

The Lakers also quit on Phil two years ago. They chose to go in a different direction with a guy that would be the short-term and long-term solution.

Last edited:
Delonte please...

He's good enough on offense... But he's a pesky defender...

Pesky defenders are the worst for opposing teams....

I'm all but certain Melo was loafing it 'til MDA quit :lol:

The team instantly got a lot better.

I'm all but certain Melo was loafing it 'til MDA quit :lol:

The team instantly got a lot better.

:lol: Would make sense.

Why can't D'Antoni just run a slowed down version of his offense.... So the other team doesn't get 87 shots...

That's why the Lakers are giving up so many points... No matter how good you are, if a team gets 87 shots they'll be at 95-100+

So even an average night on defense requires perfect offense in return...

It's such an easy thing to realize.

wow you think delonte would help? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for those who cant tell that is sarcasm

i swear laker management act like their **** dont stink...

they just wasted 32 million on two garbage one dimensional coaches...

the busses pride wont let them fire antoni...

just a big mess...

Mike Brown specialized in Defense, with no Offense. Then Mike D'Antoni specialized in Offense, with no Defense. 

Melo basically admitted to everyone a week after D'Antoni re-signed and Woodson was hired that he started to try hard(er):

"I think in the last three games, my focus was to have an energy that I haven't had so far this season, especially on the defensive end," he said.

Link

Melo, I seen em down by 20, still smiling. Now I get to see that in the game when we play them Thursday at THEIR home court.

It's actually inexplicable.. :lol:
Like if you look at the %s we hold teams to.. (With some exceptions) we should win most of these games...
It's just funny at this point.

the other teams shoots worse but they shoot more times

now the question is how were they able to put up more shots since they were out rebounded by 11?:smh:

I thought D'Antoni was going to bring in Nate McMillan?
mean.gif
Not quite. The Knicks improved defensively even under D'Antoni, due in large part to Shumpert and Tyson. A great defensive coach will bring out the best in his guys, but you can't  take a lazy player or one with poor defensive skills and turn him into a DPOY.

Back
Top Bottom