Delete

they need better depth at the safety positions. on Cb they have a nice depth with brock and cox. also they need better depth on the oline. after the staters left they couldnt give the QB a break. Also rewatched the game and did anyone else notice the QB didnt even look in the direction of Aj jenkins, and it was both qbs (colt and scott) 

Players who looked good.

Corey lemoniar

Parys haralson

Dixon

cox

reid

players/things who need to step up

colt

jenkins

back up oline

back up d line needs more push and and back up MLB and S needs to hit the right cap. couple of plays they went in the wrong cap and the RB burn them for more yards. 

With Snyder(especially him since he can play any position on the line), Looney and Kilgore I am not worried about O line depth at all. Also, our starters are proven to be quite durable so hopefully that trend continues.

As far as the defensive line Tank will help reinforce the defensive line once he is healthy enough to play. Really we only need depth at the DEs and OLBs since we spend so much time in the nickle. Lemonier looking like he is going to be a force. Going to be nutty with both him and Aldon rushing the egdes. :smokin :x :x :smokin Having Parys back also provides greath depth people forgot how good he was at stopping the run and in coverage when he had to drop back.

I'm telling yall Kaep is going to take over this league. :smokin

I love the big body receiver element Vance brings to the table, but dude dropped some passes which brought back flashbacks of delanie. :x

Jenkins looks so lost out there I don't know what they saw in him. I'll take Chad Hall and Kassim Osgood over him. Chad Hall looks like he can be one of those pesky, shifty slot receivers ala Amendola but I doubt he makes the cut with KW coming back. As of this moment it's looking like Boldin, Moore, Williams, Osgood and Jenkins( :smh: ) to start the season. Hopefully Manningham and Patton are ready soon.

Last edited:
yes, i believe kap is ready to take over the league. when he was out there he just looked like the leader and had everything in command. I cant wait to see what he can do this year. also can only imagine what he could do with crabs and boldin at wr. 

i believe collie will give the slot wr big competetion. 

also forgot about tank and quin. they will definatly provide dline depth. 

I didn't catch the game last night but thanks to everyone in here for the updates. 
You didnt miss a whole lot dude.  Wasnt a pretty or even a fun game to watch.  I left at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  I was freezing my *** off.
laugh.gif

My thoughts:
  • Kap looked great.  He only played one drive, but looked every bit as good as he looked at his best last season.  Drive only stalled after a false start put them in a hole. 
  • McCoy and Tolzien didnt play great, but our backup OLine really didnt give them much time to operate. 
  • AJ Jenkins *sigh*.  I know I shouldnt write this kid off yet.  But not being able to catch a pass last season when our WR corps was decimated, and then him catching one pass and proceeding to fumble it yesterday?  Not a good look.  I still have high hopes for this kid, but he looks absolutely lost out there.
  • Other WRs...no one really stepped up yesterday.  Lockette had a nice play on special teams, but none of them really did much in the receiving department.  Boldin looked good though.
  • LaMichael James needs to hold on to the damn ball.  He fumbled a LOT last year.  I want to say that he fumbled four times in his limited play last year (2 of which being given back to us because of a penalty, but still).  He is shifty and could have a solid career with us, but his ball security is very troubling.
  • Nnamdi blanketed his side of the field.  He looked really good IMO.
  • Eric Reid....that boy can HIT.  He made a couple of nice plays yesterday.
  • Phil Dawson, welcome to Candlestick.  Dude is a very good kicker with a very strong leg.  Hope he figures out how to kick here.
  • Vance McDonald is going to be a good player.  He looked very good yesterday, in spite of a drop or 2 (not sure if the second one was deflected....it appeared that way, but I havent seen it on TV).  He has great size and will be a nice weapon for us.  And even if he doesnt clean up the drops, he is replacing Delanie Walker.  We should be used to the drops by our #2 TE by now right?
Overall, pretty uneventful preseason game.  Will be interesting to see the next game, and how Alex Smith does against our defense.

Last edited:
You didnt miss a whole lot dude.  Wasnt a pretty or even a fun game to watch.
Thanks champ.  Man, I'm hearing NOTHING but bad things about AJ Jenkins. He's either going to have to get it together this year or we get rid of him as fast as possible. 

while watching the game, i saw AJ to be open here and there. Can't tell if the QBs just werent looking his way or he didnt demand the ball...or a combo fo both.

either way, he needs to be more aggressive out there. just feels like he's going through the motions. boy needs to get some confidence.

Kendall Hunter activated. :smokin So glad to see him back. LMJ is nice, but he can't run inside nor can he pick up blitzs like Hunter. Hunter is so underrated dude is a lil hog. KH can without a doubt be a #1 back.

Last edited:
Yea hunter is just straight up brute force. I like LMJ tho. He will be a good punt returner and be used in situations sort of like dixon.

Game is being replayed on nfl network in 20 mins. Not sure if anyone cares but just a heads up.

I watched the replay of the game last night on the NFL Network.  First drive looked really good by Kaep.  Obviously that false start near the endzone set us back, which to me might have been a touchdown drive had that not occurred.  With as many turnovers as we had, the final score could have been alot worse.  Other than that, our back up o-line needs to do a better job of protecting.  That helped cause the first fumble and lead to too much pressure on the back up QB's.  Also, what can be said about Jenkins that hasn't been said already.  No catches last year, first preseason game this year, first pass to him and he fumbles it away, not looking good for him at all. 
Need manningham back asap
When is he expected to come back??

First drive looked really good by Kaep.  Obviously that false start near the endzone set us back, which to me might have been a touchdown drive had that not occurred. 
I hear you on this.  Hopefully the fact that we couldnt overcome the turnover was partially because it was preseason, and we just arent in sync yet.  This is one situation that absolutely drove me nuts watching Alex Smith leads this offense for years.   It seemed like we almost never were able to overcome a penalty when Alex Smith was at the helm.  A holding penalty essentially meant the drive was over in a play or 2.  I think with Kaepernick, this will change.  It just didnt in the first game of preseason.

Hope its not just wishful thinking on my part.

hopefully im not just drinking the koolaid as well but what that drive did show... was that kaep was able to extent the play and fling the ball for 14-15 yard gain. Something we rarely saw with alex.

but yes, hopefully we wont be at such a handicap this year with bad penalties

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse.

A.J. Jenkins' first preseason performance did not inspire a lot of confidence in San Francisco. It's possible that the 49ers wide receiver will have fewer opportunities as a result.

Comcast SportsNet Bay Area noted that Jenkins did not get as many reps in Sunday's practice as in previous days. He didn't even see a pass come his way until the very end of practice, when he caught a pass from quarterback Colt McCoy in 7-on-7 drills.

Jenkins reportedly had a mixed day at the team's Fan Fest practice Saturday, dropping a pass and losing a ball in the sun. We don't know yet if Jenkins' reduced snap count in practice is a one-day blip or growing trend. We do know that Jenkins has failed to step up and claim the No. 2 receiver job like the 49ers have hoped. A guy like Austin Collie might get a chance to run with the starting unit.

Jenkins will continue to receive opportunities because the 49ers don't have great options at the position. But Jim Harbaugh won't be a slave to Jenkins' lofty draft status. After all, Harbaugh didn't let Jenkins get on the field last season after drafting him in the first round.

I'm fine with Kaep, fine with starting a rookie in Reid at safety, fine with Willis' injured hand, fine with Justin Smith sitting and rehabbing his injury from last season I can live with Asomugha playing I guess. I'm scared for this receiving core. Jenkins' is a bust till otherwise noted. Manningham although injured should be ready by the start of the season. Maybe he starts if will no one steps up. Thats a role he's not use to he was primarily the #3 option in New York. Don't see Kyle Williams as a starter I think he's a great 3rd or 4th option but a terrible 2nd. We'd be lost without Boldin.

Last edited:
Honestly not too worried at all. I 100% believe Kaep is an elite qb and what do elite qbs do? they make average WRs look good. Plus remember we run so much double tight end how often do you see more than 2 wide receivers on the field? aslong as ONE person steps up to grab that #2 were fine. My money is on Patton. :smokin

Last edited:
I love the niners, but calling Kaep elite is a bit of a stretch. Just hoping he can continue to improve and hit his targets.

Last edited:
via ESPN insider

A.J. Jenkins on roster bubble?
August, 13, 2013
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

The San Francisco 49ers used a first-round pick to draft A.J. Jenkins in 2012, but he was a "wide receiver" in title only as a rookie, since he failed to actually catch the lone pass that came his way last season. Now that Michael Crabtree is out of the picture due to his injury, the door is wide open for Jenkins in Year 2. However, Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee wonders whether Jenkins will even make the final cut.

"Have you read anything about him lately? His potential is undeniable. He's very quick, very fluid. He gets up to top speed quickly, etc., etc. But he simply hasn't been one of the six best receivers in training camp," Barrow wrote. "If the 49ers keep him, they will say it's because they believe Jenkins has a bright future. But that will be a tough sell to the five or six others who are cut and to the remaining players in the locker room, who will privately conclude that Jenkins' first-round status bought him another year on the roster. One more note about Jenkins: He gives the team almost no value on special teams."

It's an interesting observation, though it would be extremely surprising if the Niners gave up on a first-rounder that quickly, especially since most agree that he still has intriguing physical gifts:

:smh:

The thing about AJ...which Tim Kawakami touched on yesterday (yes I am aware that TK is borderline ******ed)......is that it appears that his roster spot may be reliant upon Baalke stepping in and telling Harbaugh to keep him. Of course this is speculation because we dont know if Baalke is the type to do this. But we are in the middle of a Superbowl window. Harbaugh wants the best 53 guys on his roster. At this time, its questionable at best whether or not AJ is one of the best 53. In reality, he probably isnt.

Should be interesting.

What kind of trade value does he have?

Little to none is my guess. I hate to say it but keeping him if you know he's not one of your best 53 is bad business. Last season he got a pass. This was his second chance. We are on a road to a Superbowl and we need all the help we can get. Lets just cut him and forget about the pick and move on.

Last edited:
i believe jenkins will make the team (and yes only because of upside), but i got a thought since he is fast and he hasnt brought nothing on offense and nothing on special teams and is going to be last wr on depth chart. Why not play him as KR. So we can atleast get something out of him. Have him get used to onfield speed. Cause face it, if they are going to keep him on the bench (like last year) he will never develop. He can learn the playbook in and out but what counts is playing time and learning from onfield. 

How can he NOT separate himself from the players he's battling with in camp? What more does he want with Crabby and Manningham out? The situation was tailor-made for him to finally impress and get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom