*| | Denim _ School | |*

Originally Posted by tecca nena

I'm pretty sure black raws dont fade... with the exception of a specific samurai line... I've heard it multiple times of sufu and I've also never seen a black raw fade... of course with the exception..

but good luck on that...

hmm.. i'm working on a pair of black STFs for about 4 months now have yet to wash after initial soak...curious to see how this goes.

i think they'll fade. it just takes a LONG time, like 6 months at the minimum. i think most people just give up before they fade. the dude with thesamurais took like 8 months or something.

fingerrollin, i started pretty much the same as you and have worn mine almost everyday. half that time was working in a warehouse and still havent noticed adifference, not even a wallet fade.

So should jeans be washed or taken to the cleaners? No one answered me yet......
how long have you worn them so far?

so should you only avoid washing certain types of denim? i see people not washing higher end brands ie apc and nudie but does the same effect work for say myexpress denim lab jeans?

i am looking into buying a very nice pair of jeans and cant decide between nudies or apc

i need a new pair so badly.
i was thinking about just getting a pair of weSC's or some nudies.
i dont even know which way to go on that.
i just want something i can wear everyday and be raw/selvedge.
i really need to learn about this washing and soaking thing though.
i heard some dudes even talk about putting them in the freezer.

so do black 501stf lose color with washes? do the legs shrink making them tighter?

yes they will loose color, i dont really know how much. usually levis don't look too pretty after a wash. i would just soak them and not agitate themwhile they are in the water. the inseam will shrink a little or alot depending on if you soaked them before.

So here's the deal with black denim..
Blue denim is dyed with indigo, indigo is a large molecule that doesn't penetrate cotton well, in turn crocking quickly and creating a fade with contrastover high friction areas.
Black denim is dyed with either a pigment black dye, a sulfur dye, or a indigo sulfur top yarn dye. Most black jeans are pigment dyed, then sulfured dyed, andthe least common and most expensive to produce is a sulfur top dyed indigo denim, which is what the S5000BK (Samurai) and the 4001BK (Flat Head) are made of.

Keep in mind, black denim that is sulfur dyed will still fade, and fade well, but it'll take longer. I've seen some very well faded black Dukes(Imperial) over the last couple of years.

kiya bringing the knowledge like a bomb.

well, ive got my black false jeans, i rotate that through with some know1edge, and a pair of 1yr old apc, but once spring and summer come around, more wear canbe put. In this winter, you just try to stay indoors and be lazy around here anyways. thats just me anyways.

so that makes fingerrollin, me, and mplsdunk trying to fade some blacks heh, we'll see who gets the best, ad we all got different variations: apc ns, falseoyster black, and wesc standard selvage was it mpls?

Did i just kill this topic?
I replied once and the entire conversation dropped out.
Please continue the denim geek fest.

Well heres a few qeustions kiya...

What is your take on the evisu heritage line( red/white selvage)? While I know they're no where near as good as the japanese line...would they still beconsidered mid tier-upper tier like apc's?

I just copped a pair of evisu heritages on sale for $100..

I also got a pair of japanese evisu's from like 2002..they're mad baggy tho..( I got pics,i'll post later) and I'm thinking of soakingthem..will they shrink significantly? I don't think they're safronized..but I could be wrong...

Thanks in advance

The Evisu Heritage line has it's good parts and bad.. Most of the denim they're using is basically what they were using before the brand expanded intomarkets outside of Asia ten years ago.
If you're looking for a well aging denim, i'd go with EH over APC any day. But i'm a bit biased, i don't like the denim APC uses, i find ithas no character and they over-calendar their denim making it diffucult to avoid the dreaded haze after four or five months of wear.

I'd need a lot more info about your 2002 Evisu's to give you proper advice as to whether they'll shrink or not with a soak. If they're far toolarge for you just do a one hour hot soak with the jeans turned inside out, then throw them in the dryer on high for twenty-five minutes, that'll get about85% of the shrinking out of the way right off the bat.

Kiya has a lot of denim knowledge, and I definitely plan on picking up a some things from him once I get my money right
laugh.gif

Until then, I just have to keep on dreaming...

Anyway...

If anybody is looking into a pair of Samurais, I have a pair that's too big for me.

They are heavy (19 oz) slim/straight, unsaforized, and NWT. I just can't hold on to them because they don't fit
frown.gif

2nqfgg5.jpg

Hit me up with the PM with any questions
wink.gif

Originally Posted by kiyab

The Evisu Heritage line has it's good parts and bad.. Most of the denim they're using is basically what they were using before the brand expanded into markets outside of Asia ten years ago.
If you're looking for a well aging denim, i'd go with EH over APC any day. But i'm a bit biased, i don't like the denim APC uses, i find it has no character and they over-calendar their denim making it diffucult to avoid the dreaded haze after four or five months of wear.

I'd need a lot more info about your 2002 Evisu's to give you proper advice as to whether they'll shrink or not with a soak. If they're far too large for you just do a one hour hot soak with the jeans turned inside out, then throw them in the dryer on high for twenty-five minutes, that'll get about 85% of the shrinking out of the way right off the bat.
sup kiya, they say if your into denim i should know you, but more importantly i wanna know what you can tell me about imperials. specifically somethingreally dark indigo dyed, and what fit would be closest to nudie ESDO or APC NS? thanks man

Good lookin kiya...

I'll def. Post detailed pics...

But the most info I know about em is that its was a Special edition representing new years..

the back pocket designs represents a japanese giftbox( a red/silver bow )

A good friend sold em' to me...he has a lot of connections with Evisu..a lot of one-of one runway and rare denim...

And does your site take paypal? Cuz I'm diggin' those imperials dukes..

Thanks again homie your knowledge is def. Appreciated..

Originally Posted by fingerollin

The Evisu Heritage line has it's good parts and bad.. Most of the denim they're using is basically what they were using before the brand expanded into markets outside of Asia ten years ago.
If you're looking for a well aging denim, i'd go with EH over APC any day. But i'm a bit biased, i don't like the denim APC uses, i find it has no character and they over-calendar their denim making it diffucult to avoid the dreaded haze after four or five months of wear.

I'd need a lot more info about your 2002 Evisu's to give you proper advice as to whether they'll shrink or not with a soak. If they're far too large for you just do a one hour hot soak with the jeans turned inside out, then throw them in the dryer on high for twenty-five minutes, that'll get about 85% of the shrinking out of the way right off the bat.
sup kiya, they say if your into denim i should know you, but more importantly i wanna know what you can tell me about imperials. specifically something really dark indigo dyed, and what fit would be closest to nudie ESDO or APC NS? thanks man

Fingerollin... I'm not kiya, but I think you should check out the Imperial Dukes. They seem to fit your description.

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=184

Originally Posted by bustinxjustin

Originally Posted by fingerollin

sup kiya, they say if your into denim i should know you, but more importantly i wanna know what you can tell me about imperials. specifically something really dark indigo dyed, and what fit would be closest to nudie ESDO or APC NS? thanks man

Fingerollin... I'm not kiya, but I think you should check out the Imperial Dukes. They seem to fit your description.

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=184

other than the selfedgeximperial, imperial only has 2 cuts out right now. the dukes are closer to what you want than the kings but im still not sure thatits a good comparison.

Back
Top Bottom