*| | Denim _ School | |*

I live in Sf too so I might swing by the store.Is the regular ralf like straight sven?And I want to take advantage of the online code and the regular ralfsaren't up on there.

What about that soaking question I had?

Originally Posted by LOVE DEM KICKS

I live in Sf too so I might swing by the store.Is the regular ralf like straight sven?And I want to take advantage of the online code and the regular ralfs aren't up on there.

What about that soaking question I had?

soaking them in tub should be fine, and RR is just like the even steven but it widens by 1-1.5 inches from the knee to leg opening wheras the even stevenis smaller by about an inch from the knee to leg opening

Oh,ya I think I would like that better.I'll go to the store to see which is better.And you think starting with Nudies is good?Or should I start cheaperwith APC or something.

Thanks

Originally Posted by artysm

has anyone actually tried the "denim recipes" on a pair of APC's (the recipe they give you)? has anyone seen a difference in this by dry cleaning them for their first wash rather than a cold/warm soak?

kiya: if you were in Vegas this past weekend, i'm pretty sure i saw you at the Chanel store at the Wynn. if that wasn't you, it was your exact double.
Whow.. that WAS me.. My wife was spending all our money for us.

Originally Posted by c0neV3rgE

where can i find a good pair of APC's? every site i go to has like 3 pairs =/

they only make 3 raw mens cuts, rescue, new standard, and new cure. they do have some unisex and other non raw models but im not sure if those are availableonline

Kiya... I've been wearing my SEXI04s for a few weeks now and I freaking love them.

I can already see that some fading is about to occur soon so I have to put in some more wear.
smile.gif

I want to get the SEXFH05s, but I need to save that money for other things.

Oh well... I can dream...

The J Dilla tee reference was not merely a joke, rather an allusion to the widespread popularization of various brands who started off as humble onlinestartups. If you haven't noticed, here's a newsflash: every graphic tee company began expanding to make outerwear and their own line of jeans at theonset of the 2007 season. Any particular reason? The market is being oversaturated with one particular product, so they found various niche items that wouldgive them better margins. Hundreds, 10Deep, C&C, Orisue, to name a few, all have denim introduced into their lines within the past two years.

Please note that many of the buzzed upon Japanese brands are the elite in their history, intention, sourcing of material, construction, and aesthetic.It's when you compare a repro jean to a jean made for streetwear that you'll see a clash in ideology.

Originally Posted by kiyab

yeah, pretty crazy. for future references i'll make sure to say what up. so since you and sidney are the denim afficionados here (since sufu was downyesterday), any advice on the dry clean vs cold/warm soak after 5-6 months?

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by kiyab

yeah, pretty crazy. for future references i'll make sure to say what up. so since you and sidney are the denim afficionados here (since sufu was down yesterday), any advice on the dry clean vs cold/warm soak after 5-6 months?

dry cleaning should always be a last resort. In the long run, it's harmful to the denim

sidneylo, just curious - what do you do for a living?

you own a store? i was wondering why you would come on NT to discuss about denims to people that don't know crap. Sufu got the denim thread lol... The wayI see it is you are tying to sell your stuff or you are very enthusiastic about lecturing this cats
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sidneylo

The J Dilla tee reference was not merely a joke, rather an allusion to the widespread popularization of various brands who started off as humble online startups. If you haven't noticed, here's a newsflash: every graphic tee company began expanding to make outerwear and their own line of jeans at the onset of the 2007 season. Any particular reason? The market is being oversaturated with one particular product, so they found various niche items that would give them better margins. Hundreds, 10Deep, C&C, Orisue, to name a few, all have denim introduced into their lines within the past two years.

Please note that many of the buzzed upon Japanese brands are the elite in their history, intention, sourcing of material, construction, and aesthetic. It's when you compare a repro jean to a jean made for streetwear that you'll see a clash in ideology.

It's good you elaborated because I agree with you almost 100%. Fashion, specifically the streetwear market is over saturated with t-shirt companies thatthen turn themselves into "legit" brands. As someone who graduated from menswear fashion design program, I find this particularly disturbing. From myknowledge most of the "designers" of these brands have zero design training and it shows. They all produce basic straight leg raw denim, uninspiredgraphic t-shirts, and rip off trends or designs from other companies as far as everything else. That isn't design to me. Unfortunately, the market for truehigh end streetwear in the US is minuscule, which is one of the main reasons I have refrained from taking a design job for the present.

With that said, most of the brands mentioned in this thread aren't THAT creative as far as design, however, I do agree they "are the elitein their history, intention, sourcing of material, construction" as far as denim. Now, if you want to throw in some other brands that Blue in Greencarries (I can't speak for Self Edge) such as Pure Blue Japan, IZREEL (though some of their stuff is copy-cat), Master-Piece, Paul Smith/Paul Smith RedEar, Low Hurtz, etc then we can talk about the combination of quality and creative design across the board.
I will at least, however, give Orisue credit asfar as having some relatively creative designs.

The market is being oversaturated with one particular product, so they found various niche items that would give them better margins.
Also, this particular comment is only partially true. Even people with extensive knowledge of design and the fashion industry sometimes are forcedto start out as small T-shirt brands. It is insanely expensive to start fashion design company and the more garment types you include and the better quality ofyour product, the more expensive it gets and the harder it becomes to sell because your market shrinks. Starting out as a t-shirt brand allows you to gain somefinances and helps prevent you from going out of business within a year because you've run out of money. Personally, I would love to start a full fledgedquality fashion company from the ground up, but it is very hard to succeed that way. Some guys that graduated the same year as me are doing things the rightway and are even selling to some big name stores, but they've spent so much money on creating quality garments that they may run out of money. It sucks,but it's the way an industry like fashion works in the a capitalistic country like the US. Japan on the other hand, has a greater appreciation of design,which is why you see so many of the best brands coming from there

As far as what I do for a living, I'm a photographer, among other things.
Originally Posted by jvhoop22

Originally Posted by sidneylo

The J Dilla tee reference was not merely a joke, rather an allusion to the widespread popularization of various brands who started off as humble online startups. If you haven't noticed, here's a newsflash: every graphic tee company began expanding to make outerwear and their own line of jeans at the onset of the 2007 season. Any particular reason? The market is being oversaturated with one particular product, so they found various niche items that would give them better margins. Hundreds, 10Deep, C&C, Orisue, to name a few, all have denim introduced into their lines within the past two years.

Please note that many of the buzzed upon Japanese brands are the elite in their history, intention, sourcing of material, construction, and aesthetic. It's when you compare a repro jean to a jean made for streetwear that you'll see a clash in ideology.

It's good you elaborated because I agree with you almost 100%. Fashion, specifically the streetwear market is over saturated with t-shirt companies that then turn themselves into "legit" brands. As someone who graduated from menswear fashion design program, I find this particularly disturbing. From my knowledge most of the "designers" of these brands have zero design training and it shows. They all produce basic straight leg raw denim, uninspired graphic t-shirts, and rip off trends or designs from other companies as far as everything else. That isn't design to me. Unfortunately, the market for true high end streetwear in the US is minuscule, which is one of the main reasons I have refrained from taking a design job for the present.

With that said, most of the brands mentioned in this thread aren't THAT creative as far as design, however, I do agree they "are the elite in their history, intention, sourcing of material, construction" as far as denim. Now, if you want to throw in some other brands that Blue in Green carries (I can't speak for Self Edge) such as Pure Blue Japan, IZREEL (though some of their stuff is copy-cat), Master-Piece, Paul Smith/Paul Smith Red Ear, Low Hurtz, etc then we can talk about the combination of quality and creative design across the board.
I will at least, however, give Orisue credit as far as having some relatively creative designs.

The market is being oversaturated with one particular product, so they found various niche items that would give them better margins.
Also, this particular comment is only partially true. Even people with extensive knowledge of design and the fashion industry sometimes are forced to start out as small T-shirt brands. It is insanely expensive to start fashion design company and the more garment types you include and the better quality of your product, the more expensive it gets and the harder it becomes to sell because your market shrinks. Starting out as a t-shirt brand allows you to gain some finances and helps prevent you from going out of business within a year because you've run out of money. Personally, I would love to start a full fledged quality fashion company from the ground up, but it is very hard to succeed that way. Some guys that graduated the same year as me are doing things the right way and are even selling to some big name stores, but they've spent so much money on creating quality garments that they may run out of money. It sucks, but it's the way an industry like fashion works in the a capitalistic country like the US. Japan on the other hand, has a greater appreciation of design, which is why you see so many of the best brands coming from there

Good points. I think there is also a disconnect between the advert and the product. A lot of the hype carries over into these new products, and often timesany semblance of material, cut, and construction are left out of the equation. I won't say that's the case across the board, but it's been embeddedin the mentality of those who have become the primary demographic for this market. More kids care about the colorway or the referential aspect to a'design'.

As far as the quality part goes, I wouldn't even say many of the Japan repro brands are stellar for their design. They are stellar for their impeccabletaste in reproductions that introduce modern, contemporary materials into a true western shirt (for example). Blue in Green definitely expands on the gamut ofwhat's available within the genre of the brands represented by the denim companies. Something like a Flat Head western flannel is by and large the mostamazing shirt I've tried on and I don't know if that translates over to the trite mentality of $25 graphic tees.

aside from the new standard, new cure, and rescue.....there is a new cure h, which i've wondered what is it?
only noticeable difference as of late in apc new standard is the internal tags for me. i chose apc's mainly to try it out, but also because there weresimplicity in experimenting.

rescue - roomiest, cure - slim, standards - standard/in-between......

is it just me or does anyone else feel that nudies and some others in general have too many cuts where you need to be in store to try on your size and see thefit and feel, especially when you plan on blowing 100+ on a pair of jeans?

and kiya, those new jeans you are making, the 05, are horrendous, imo. they seem to shape the legs oddly, nh. they look like like this on the legs.

Code:
 |     |      |    |
Code:
 |    /       \    |
Code:
/    |         |   \
Code:
\    |         |    /
Code:
 |   |         |   |

sorry for the shape drawing, very preschool-%!$, but they dont look appeasing to the eye.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Originally Posted by GotEm4Cheap

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

GotEm4Cheap -- How much longer are you planning on wearing them? My jeans look almost identical but Ive had mine for roughly 3months or so. I just want to be sure that the fades and honeycombs show up after the first wash...

i plan on wearing them soak free, until i hit 4 months.

when i hit 4 months or so ill soak them.
Are you wearing yours everyday for 4 months? Cause I wear mine only 3/4 times a week but I walk a considerable distance each time and maybe thats why they look as worn if not a little more worn than yours.

yeap, everday.

LeftyJeenyus,
Not every jean is for everybody.. The newest collaboration i designed, the SEXFH05, is in my opinion the closest thing i've ever seen to the perfect slimcut jean.
From the accents, to the denim we used, to the cut, it's everything we at Self Edge want in a slim cut jean.
That's not to say there won't be people that think it's too "ball huggin" or "too expensive" or "too elitist".. inthe end if we wanted to please everybody we'd do a safe collab with a large well known company and call it a day..
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bboy Rewynd

kiya, quick sizing question. i wear a 32 in lvc 1947, 29 in apcs, what size should i get for the sexfh5? thanks!
happy.gif

From knowing just those two brands i'd say a size 31 if you want a super slim fit or a size 32 if you want a bit of breathing room...

what happened to SF? the message board is down. Love to lurk there...people have no 2nd thoughts about keeping it real lol.

Back
Top Bottom