Did People Forget The Meaning Of OG!!!!!!

Hey NT Family
I first wanna say I like the new look still working around and gettting used to It...back to topic tho Is It Just Me or has the meaning of OG Jordan's fallen off or out of meaning? I've been a shoe fanatic 7 years, along the years i have learned about the history of the shoe and shoe game as well and have come to see that youngster now and in days take the meaning of OG Jordans to another level with all these recent release of OG COLOR WAYS. Claiming later on to sell OG Jordans :smh: . Just recently i had a fool trying to sell me a pair of 2011 Concords saying they were OG Jordans. I think I know my stuff better but it bugged me a little after i tried to tell me him they wasnt OG. Has the meaning of OG changed to recent new sneaker heads in the game or are they just dumb not to know that what they buy now aren't OGs and that are called RETROS for a reason?

Last edited:
First off.. wut?

Second off, no. None of us have forgotten what OG means. The beasts call those '11 Concords "OG" because it's an original colorway and they wanna sound like they know what they're talking about. :smh: They don't know anything. They probably call every pair of Jays they have OGs.

If somebody told me that, I'd seriously just LOL and walk away without saying anything. It wouldn't bother me as much if the people who talk out their #$% like that didn't think that they knew everything and weren't trynna sell Concords that they wore 10 times for $250. They're just left over riff raff from the Concord hype train.. we'll have to go through it all over again after the Breds release this December. :rolleyes

LOL,

that dude who tried to sell you the 2011 Concords is either dumb or thought you were.
Even the 2000 Concords cannot be called as OG because they simply are not.
The only OGs are the ones which were released during the original release wave.
So for the AJ XI, only the ones which came out 1995/1996 are OGs, no matter how
identical the retros might look like.

Reading your post OP just gave me a headache.

They are dumb*&%#!. What they know is all of AJ signature shoes are OG's since they were used and endorsed personally by MJ.And they don't know the dates of production since they only know the new releases.So as long as a certain AJ shoe will get retroed,they'll classify the previous releases as OGs. :smh:

Not to mention other LE's such as PEs,packages and so on. So I say no to ISS.

Last edited:
i know exactly what you mean. i see that kind of garbage posted on craigslist all the time. people will say the 05' flint 13 retro is now the OG cause a newer retro dropped or the black/red 12s retros from 03 are OG cause they came with the flu games.. the its a new generation where the first retro release of a shoe is now considered "OG" for some odd reason. i dont feed into it, but i hear it.. sad.

It just goes to show you how people can interpret "OG" differently.

"OG" will always mean original, but depending on the context, it can also mean 'Original colorway'....

I guess thats why it's important to state what you mean when you're talking about shoes being og or not...

i think that guy was trying to rip you off. i hear ppl say OG colorway and OG as in the original shoe.

real OGs used the word "OG" before retros even started appearing. basically i never really associated it with shoes. we used OG to indicate that "we did isht first" or "did that back then, we og" etc etc. now all the beasts and young guns in their teens early 20s thinking they "OG" tossing that word around.

i remember when no one use to say "swag", always used it as short for swagger, then how the hell did that word get blown up? now i see it on shirts and isht. wth

OG is and can mean 2 different things:

OG as in when they first released back in the day.

- and / or -

OG as in original colorway: like how some people call the Cool Grey 9s released back in 2002 an OG colorway & they're retroing them this year.

OG
OG as in original colorway: like how some people call the Cool Grey 9s released back in 2002 an OG colorway & they're retroing them this year.

I'd still say that's wrong. When I say "OG" colorway, I'm referring to one of the original produced colorways when the shoe initially released. In this case, the Cool Grey 9's would NOT BE original since the 9's first released back in 1993-1994

I get your point OP, but just quit. Trying to justify the mannerisms of the new sneaker audience is pointless.

Let them be stupid.

OG as in original colorway: like how some people call the Cool Grey 9s released back in 2002 an OG colorway & they're retroing them this year.[/

Really then I wounder how many OG air force ones are out there.:rolleyes

I'd still say that's wrong. When I say "OG" colorway, I'm referring to one of the original produced colorways when the shoe initially released. In this case, the Cool Grey 9's would NOT BE original since the 9's first released back in 1993-1994

Exactly. And they were called Retro + back then.

My response here, from the Jordan Olympic VI thread, is what I feel about "OG:"
Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by riceeeeeeeeee

Arn't the 00's the OG's lol
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Man, it gets worse and worse every time, kids talking about imaginary OG's that never existed.... 

buncha jordan head rookies 
laugh.gif

1st retro version does not = OG 
eyes.gif

that's like calling the 01 Cool Grey XI OG's
roll.gif
roll.gif

I think it's funny as well, but in all honesty it's not as far fetched as the "all black concords" or "oreo space jams."  

The Nubuck XII has an '03 and '09 version. I have the '03 version. If someone asks me if those are the original Nubucks, I will sometimes say that they are the original Nubucks and not the re-retro.

The proper technical name is retro+ and that is how I've called them for a while now, so I agree with what FrenchBlue said about the retro+ label, but a lot of people don't know what that means. Part of this is because they don't put retro+ on the box labels anymore. That's why sometimes I will just say the original Altitudes or Nubucks.

Last edited:
The majority of the people who are into sneakers now weren't even around when Retro+ was a common term. I still use that term, kinda funny how many people look at you like you have two heads when you do.

OG as in when they first released back in the day.
- and / or -

smh.....c'mon....CG 9s are not a colorway that was released in 93-94 so it's not an OG colorway....it's the first new colorway of the retro 9 series...

but along with wearing fakes and calling them real....i really hate folks that can't determine what's an OG Air Jordan from a retro

Last edited:
I don't get bothered by any of that. I can just defer from context whether they are talking about an OG pair, OG colorway, or first release of a retro. No need to pull teeth out about it.

People who use the word OG in the
sneaker business when talking about
retros are noobs, period!

Last edited:
The shoe game has exploded....  Teeny boppers are using slang like they know what their talking about and using the terms out of context.  They just need to be schooled by cats that were in school when the OG's really dropped.  The meaning hasn't change, it's just alot of new heads don't know what they are talking about. 

They stand in line listening to old heads talk about shoes and probably repeat the terms they hear..... just not in the right way.

Back
Top Bottom