DISNEY Classics Live-Action Remakes - Upcoming: Snow White, Mufasa, Lilo&Stitch, Moana...

Original ‘Lion King’ young Simba turned down $2 million in favor of royalties

Sometimes patience pays off — at least it definitely did in the case of Jason Weaver, the singing voice behind Young Simba in Disney’s original The Lion King. At the time, the young teen (now age 40) had been offered a flat $2 million dollars for his work on the 1994 film. It was a huge step up from the $80k he’d received from his previous role as Michael Jackson in TV mini-series The Jacksons: An American Dream. In an interview with Vlad TV, the actor and singer explained why he decided to initially decline such a hefty sum.

Weaver shared that his agent called him and his family up to give them the news that Disney was offering $2 million dollars, but it came with a caveat: he would get nothing in royalties.

“That amount of money, to an average middle class family in Chicago in the early 90s, I mean ... that’s something. But immediately, my mom goes, ‘Wait a minute…,” shared Weaver.

While the sum would’ve been immediately life-changing, Weaver’s mother was thinking in terms of the long game for her son, like when he turned 40.

"Disney had a reputation for re-releasing stuff," Weaver says, adding that his mother fully comprehended this. Lady in the Tramp and Bambi, for example, were both re-released in the 80s, with Snow White re-released in the US in 1993, and Sleeping Beauty re-released two years later. And with each re-release, those with royalties in their contracts would receive a nice, hefty check,” he continued. “They were releasing that [stuff from the old catalog] when they were releasing new Disney stuff, so she was able to see the playing field and go, ‘Wait a minute, this is going to make a lot of money over time.”

Additionally, Weaver’s mother understood that Disney wasn’t exactly hurting for money.

“She was like, ‘Nah, let’s negotiate royalties,’” Weaver says of his forward-thinking mother’s decision.

“You gotta remember, they’re coming off of Beauty and the Beast, you know what I’m saying? They’re coming off of Aladdin. Disney had bread,” says Weaver. To put things in further perspective, Beauty and the Beast grossed $425 million dollars. As for Aladdin, the 1992 film raked in $504 million in the box office. Disney did, indeed, have bread. And while the $2 million was tempting, it was just a drop in the bucket of what the Walt Disney Company could afford.”

He added, “I think they knew, in forecast, that they were gonna make a **** ton of money.” Indeed, 1994’s The Lion King grossed $968.5 million in the box office — more than four times the earnings of The Little Mermaid.

Over the years, Disney has found numerous ways to make more money off The Lion King Franchise.

“They got the Animal Kingdom in Disney World that’s themed off The Lion King. They got dolls and T-shirts and video games. I mean I got a platinum plaque for a story book that they released that was really just a storybook with my song in it,” said Weaver.

Eventually, Disney offered Weaver a $100,000 check that would include royalties in perpetuity.

To some it might seem like the wrong move, but Weaver fully recognizes and appreciates the decision his mother made on his behalf.

“When I got my first royalty check, me and my mom thought it was a mistake,” Weaver admitted of the hefty amount he eventually received.

A quarter of a century later, Weaver has made back well above the $1.9 million dollars he initially turned down due to the royalty checks, and he’s thankful.

“Shout out to my mother...She was absolutely right. That residual income that I generate, that is so helpful,” said the actor, whose other acting credits include The Lebrons TV series, ATL and The Ladykillers.

It just goes to show, sometimes it is best to play the long game, especially when dealing with powerhouses like Disney.

Disney's live-action "Mulan" is an adaptation of the animated movie of the same name.

8cccb9df49d7210deb5856c6d95d4b52

Disney
Release date: March 27, 2020

The film follows a young woman who disguises herself as a man, takes her father's place in war, and saves China. The cast includes Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen, Yoson An, Jet Li, and Jason Scott Lee.

Disney will release another live-action movie in 2021.
abba655a5ce7cea4ee3dacf298f76add
Disney
Release date: March 12, 2021

Director Jon Favreau is working on a sequel to "The Jungle Book," so fans can expect that at some point.

Disney's "Cruella" will serve as an origin story of Cruella de Vil.
246f5d27d2c2b31ba11dce01b3d0203a
Walt Disney Studios
Release date: May 28, 2021

Emma Stone will be the villain from the animated classic "The 101 Dalmations." The movie was originally supposed to come out in 2020. The first look at Stone as the iconic villain was shown at D23.

According to Stone, the movie will have a 1970s punk-rock feel.

Disney is adding another live-action movie in July 2021.
da0a09a0d988b2d80ecffa9694515328
Walt Disney Pictures
Release date: July 30, 2021

According to Deadline, a live-action version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is also in the works. Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, who teamed up on "Pocahontas," will write the music while Josh Gad ("Frozen") is producing. There's no official release date for it yet.

Disney scheduled another live-action movie just three months later.
c04a34a059783e482115dfd77cf642a5
RKO Radio Pictures/Disney
Release date: October 8, 2021

"Peter Pan" is reportedly getting the live-action treatment.

Disney added another live-action movie for November 2021.
21026ffa88a4c499573f9e82cc021682
Disney, composite by Kirsten Acuna/INSIDER
Release date: November 19, 2021

The live-action version of "The Little Mermaid" doesn't have a release date, yet, but singer Halle Bailey was cast in the role in July 2019. The remake will include original songs and new ones from Alan Menken and "Hamilton" creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.

It will be followed by a Disney live-action film.
6762a0ec652d579e5710ff0621ebd3ca
Walt Disney Studios
Release date: March 25, 2022

Disney has a reported 19 live-action movies in the works. Could this be a date for a sequel to one it has already released?

"Aladdin" producer Dan Lin told Insider they were already looking at a potential sequel to that film.

Disney has another live-action movie planned for 2022.
56cb8cd2444886989971b7ae1abdcae7
Release date: May 27, 2022

In 2015, it was reported that Reese Witherspoon would star in a live-action movie about Tinker Bell.

Disney has a number of live-action movies planned and another is scheduled for July 2022.
54936acc2de07ffad926171616d402d1
Disney
Release date: July 8, 2022

Robert Zemeckis is in early talks to direct the live-action film.

Disney will release another live-action movie in August 2022.
7df05fa6c1162680aefe7f6eb1171197
RKO Radio Pictures
Release date: August 12, 2022

Benj Pasek and Justin Paul are reportedly working on new music for a live-action "Snow White" movie.

They'll follow it up with yet another live-action movie in November.
8a54b6fa962e7db8b1138305b822b39e
Release date: November 4, 2022

Director Stephen Chbosky is reportedly working on a live-action Prince Charming film so that is one option.

I think Disney should be selective with their live-action remakes.

Dumbo was mediocre.

Lion King was meh.

Interested in Peter Pan only because I have yet to watch the original Disney movie lol. (I like the story of Hook instead)

I think this approach to Mulan will pay off for Disney. Like everyone here I loved Mushu and the wit, but apparently it pissed some Chinese folks off. The more serious tone makes it resemble a war epic, albeit PG version.

I’m all for female empowerment and equality but what some people forget, especially in America, is that this tale has been around for centuries and started sincerely without agenda. Looking forward to how it’ll culminate in live action.

was hoping to catch Mulan when I'm in japan
it opens exactly a weeek after we leave. Probably won't happen but really hoping it opens early

I think this approach to Mulan will pay off for Disney. Like everyone here I loved Mushu and the wit, but apparently it pissed some Chinese folks off. The more serious tone makes it resemble a war epic, albeit PG version.

I’m all for female empowerment and equality but what some people forget, especially in America, is that this tale has been around for centuries and started sincerely without agenda. Looking forward to how it’ll culminate in live action.
Disney just had to make mainland Chinese happy. If they support then everywhere else can kick rocks.

Back
Top Bottom