Do friends ask friends for compensation?

Mr.Guy

formerly timidtebow
I had an interesting convo with a co-worker today. My co-worker had an old friend stay at his crib for two nights while he attended a wedding because he didnt want to pay for a hotel. He drove his homie to Long Island from NJ to attend the wedding and was very accommodating(he stayed up late nite waiting for his homie to return from the wedding to crash etc, which kind of frustrated him). His homie told him that he would give him gas money and toll money for his troubles, but when his homie dipped he never gave him any money for gas etc. My coworker told me that he wouldn't have accepted the money because the dude is his friend, but he was disappointed that his friend didn't even have the decency to offer him some money and he kind of feels used by his homie. He said hes thinking about no longer being cool with the dude because of this. Is he being petty or does he have a point? Should his homie had offered him money? Should homies expect money for being a friend? What says you?

so even if he was offered he wouldn't have accepted
but considering not being his friend anyway
cause he MIGHT have forgotten

His homie should have offered to give him the gas and toll money ahead of time but imo it’s not a big deal.

My real friends and I always crash at each other’s places when in town and always pay for each other for lil **** but we never keep count or track of it. You’ll eventually get spotted back the money in one away or another, never been a problem with us.

It depends on the magnitude of the deed.
If yall are really cool and it's not something major, you kinda shouldn't expect anything nor accept anything. If it's something major, out of respect you should offer something. But 'major' is subjective.

Something else to keep in mind, everyone doesn't have the same financial situation.
The visiting friend may have been struggling and wanted to break him off but didn't have it. (no, he should not have traveled with little money, but people do irresponsible things like that.)
This is a sensitive topic for some people and they are embarrassed to reveal the truth: that they're hurting.

Some people have different mentalities when it comes to favors; some feel that a person that's well off shouldn't expect anything in return, which isn't really fair.

Money messes up a lot of friendships/relationships.

It depends on the magnitude of the deed.
If yall are really cool and it's not something major, you kinda shouldn't expect anything nor accept anything. If it's something major, out of respect you should offer something. But 'major' is subjective.

Something else to keep in mind, everyone doesn't have the same financial situation.
The visiting friend may have been struggling and wanted to break him off but didn't have it. (no, he should not have traveled with little money, but people do irresponsible things like that.)
This is a sensitive topic for some people and they are embarrassed to reveal the truth: that they're hurting.

Some people have different mentalities when it comes to favors; some feel that a person that's well off shouldn't expect anything in return, which isn't really fair.

Money messes up a lot of friendships/relationships.
Yea my coworker seems to be really pissed about this situation. I told him that he never should have offered to let his friend stay if he was gonna charge him. Im sure if his friend had the money to stay in a hotel he would have done it.

I have many experiences in this area and it is hard to say. Maybe the person who accepted all the favors is really that absent minded(doubtful, but possible). Or there are some friendships which both parties do not keep track of what is owed. I had friends like this who would go straight into my fridge and grab something without asking, and I do the same when I am at their place.

Yeah some people don't realize how much of a burden they are bc they're not looking at it from the other party's eyes. You can't expect anyone to do anything for you these days. People don't even feel like doing things that would benefit themselves. If anyone does anything for you, you should be appreciative and if it's something time consuming or labor intensive, you should offer funds.

Is your co-worker a female? That would explain the estrogen drippin from what I read.

Yeah it is hard to judge just off this one story. A good way to gauge their friendship is if the guy who hosted asks for a similar favor to see the outcome.

If I was in that situation with my closest friends they definitely would not ask for money.

The thread title made me think this was a
"Yoo can I borrow 200 dollars?" Type thing

Yo this made me think of that story one NTer posted about his roommate. Said dude would sleep on his couch and not pay rent, eat all his food and talk **** about him on FB. Dude would go sleep in his bed after homie left for work :rofl:

Who was that NTer??

My coworker said he wasnt so mad about doing the favor, but his friend not offering to give him money when he left. He said if he was in his friend's shoes he would have offered some paper. He said he didnt want to ask his friend for money because he shouldnt have to ask.

Yo this made me think of that story one NTer posted about his roommate. Said dude would sleep on his couch and not pay rent, eat all his food and talk **** about him on FB. Dude would go sleep in his bed after homie left for work :rofl:

Who was that NTer??
That ish was hilarious.

My coworker said he wasnt so mad about doing the favor, but his friend not offering to give him money when he left. He said if he was in his friend's shoes he would have offered some paper. He said he didnt want to ask his friend for money because he shouldnt have to ask.
Your co-worker lowkey sounds like an Indian giver but tell him what I wrote in my last couple posts. Believe me, I've seen it all from a friendship ending over a soft drink to a ride to Costco being compensated by a share of a business.

Your co-worker lowkey sounds like an Indian giver but tell him what I wrote in my last couple posts. Believe me, I've seen it all from a friendship ending over a soft drink to a ride to Costco being compensated by a share of a business.
Yea I dont get why he would let him stay if he was expecting money lol.

Your co-worker lowkey sounds like an Indian giver .

giphy.gif

Who was that NTer??

I found the thread.. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom