Do The Blurred Gender Lines Of Today Not Bother You?

I just want consistency. If women are independent, they should have no problem paying for dates and such. No two ways around it.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

When I say Men/Women not embracing traditional gender related skills of men/women (handymanship, cooking, cleaning); I am not saying that they shouldn't ALSO know the roles of the other sex. I actually promote EVERYONE to learn how to do EVERYTHING. Everyone should be all-around talents.

Women should know how to fix cars/cut hair.
Men should know how to cook and have heart to heart conversations with daughters.
Why? Because if you are single you need to know how to care for yourself.

I don't believe in housewives. They are the scum of the earth.
Doesn't that kinda contradict your original post though...?

It completely does. Dude is completely full of it. I just aint say anything because I wanted someone else to see just how confused he is.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

When I say Men/Women not embracing traditional gender related skills of men/women (handymanship, cooking, cleaning); I am not saying that they shouldn't ALSO know the roles of the other sex. I actually promote EVERYONE to learn how to do EVERYTHING. Everyone should be all-around talents.

Men should know how to cook and have heart to heart conversations with daughters.

It completely does. Dude is completely full of it. I just aint say anything because I wanted someone else to see just how confused he is.

Gay confused?

maybe

I don't have a problem with it . Times change and progress...not much can be done to stop that from happening. Adapt and change with them or just deal withit.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I just want consistency. If women are independent, they should have no problem paying for dates and such. No two ways around it.
sums up how I feel about it

DCAllAmerican wrote:
I am sure many have seen me say that the world will be unisexual by the year 3000 but I think some of you aren't understanding where I am coming from.

Men being content with wearing women's clothing/accessories
Women becoming more and more dominant in relationships as time goes on
Men/Women not embracing traditional gender related skills of men/women (handymanship, cooking, cleaning)
Homosexuality is more accepted than ever (not calling any homosexual person a bad person)

It just seems that that gender identification is no longer a priority to us. I thought when a person is first identified, that their sex was the most important thing. When someone's sex is identified, at one point, we could sorta assume the skill set that they possesed.

I just fear that folks are getting too comfortable with the way the world is headed.

Something needs to be done, but what can really be done?

If you don't care, you don't have to read or reply.

Wow... I'm sad that people in this country can actually still think like this. Let me just say this... get comfortable. You're in a world whereeducation is more powerful than the ability to cook and skin a rabbit. This has only been true within the last century, where during most of that time periodmen have oppressed women. Only more recently is education/information just as readily available to women as it is men. Man has always withheld knowledge fromthose they wish to oppress.

No it doesn't at all. I think everyone should posses the skills native of their gender. (Men = Handymen;Women = cooking).
ALONG WITH those skills, I think everyone should be able to compensate if there is not an opposite genderedindividual in their life. (Women = some handyman work; Men = some culinary work)

Hope that makes sense

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I don't have a problem paying on dates, just as long as it's not all the time.

Again, why is it when I say a woman needs to know how to cook everyone seems to take that as me saying a woman should be STUCK in the kitchen cooking like aservant?

My kids will grow up in this society. Anything that goes on will directly affect them. I don't want my son to be punished for exuding machismo instead of choosing to wear skin tight jeans and carry Louis Vatton (however you spell it) bags.

I don't want my daughter to run around screaming, "I don't need no man. I don't need to know how to cook." because boneheaded young girls have been brainwashed by their mothers to believe such foolishness.

I am straight. Nothing will break me. I just hope my kids can be as mentally tough as I am to not fall for it
Raise your own damn kids.

Again, why is it when I say a woman needs to know how to cook everyone seems to take that as me saying a woman should be STUCK in the kitchen cooking like a servant?
Easiest stereotype to jump to. Not to mention some ppl actually think this way.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Again, why is it when I say a woman needs to know how to cook everyone seems to take that as me saying a woman should be STUCK in the kitchen cooking like a servant?
Easiest stereotype to jump to. Not to mention some ppl actually think this way.

Thats how it use to be too.

• Men being content with wearing women's clothing/accessories
I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Do you mean men are wearing skirts and carrying purses nowadays or some other article of clothing that YOUdeem as feminine? Trends in fashion come and go. There was a time in the 70's for instance where certain fashions were looked at as blurring the lines ofgender, but that passed and even though there are such trends in fashion there are also others that remain very "traditional." There are no absolutesespecially with things that change and/or evolve such as clothing. If that was the case you'd be wearing nothing, but a suit, tie and fedora like peopledid more than half a century ago or thigh high stockings, powdered wigs and sequined velvets outfits like they did 500 years ago, but I doubt you'd becaught dead in either of those.

• Women becoming more and more dominant in relationships as time goes on
Dominant as in having more of a say in matters that affect both people in the relationship instead of keeping quiet and doing as told? With advancedresponsibilities in society and many women taking on more roles not only in their own homes and relationships, but in their respective professions they havenot only gained more liberties to have more of a say in things, but they've also earned it.

• Men/Women not embracing traditional gender related skills of men/women (handymanship, cooking, cleaning)
If people were to obey traditional roles (not only gender related roles such as the trivial ones you mentioned), there would still be a lot of people inbondage. I think it's time for you to accept that these notions of yours are not only outdated, but extremely sexist and that you shouldn't hold theseas a badge of honor, but rather a burden of your left back chauvinist mentality that most people in this society have managed to get past.

• Homosexuality is more accepted than ever (not calling any homosexual person a bad person)
You may not be calling any homosexual person a "bad person," but you are nonetheless making a negative judgment about a person's identity byinsinuating that homosexuality bothers you because it is one of the things responsible for the breakdown in YOUR views on gender without so much as taking intoaccount the majority of gay people who don't fit into the stereotypical roles that you seem to hold about them.

It just seems that that gender racial identification is no longer a priority to us. I thought when a person is first identified, that their sex race was the most important thing. When someone's sex race is identified, at one point, we could sorta assume the skill set that they possesed.
You're no different than the common bigot everyone rallies against when similar comments are flung at people of color.

Why would a woman need to waste time learning to cook, when she could take that energy and put it toward a great career and be able to afford to have someonecook for her? Or marry someone that cooks for her.

Originally Posted by Magik ink 23

Why would a woman need to waste time learning to cook, when she could take that energy and put it toward a great career and be able to afford to have someone cook for her? Or marry someone that cooks for her.
Why does "pursuing a great career" and knowing how to cook have to be a sliding scale? Why do you have to give up one to have the other?Not understanding that one man

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Do you mean men are wearing skirts and carrying purses nowadays or some other article of clothing that YOU deem as feminine? Trends in fashion come and go. There was a time in the 70's for instance where certain fashions were looked at as blurring the lines of gender, but that passed and even though there are such trends in fashion there are also others that remain very "traditional." There are no absolutes especially with things that change and/or evolve such as clothing. If that was the case you'd be wearing nothing, but a suit, tie and fedora like people did more than half a century ago or thigh high stockings, powdered wigs and sequined velvets outfits like they did 500 years ago, but I doubt you'd be caught dead in either of those.

Dominant as in having more of a say in matters that affect both people in the relationship instead of keeping quiet and doing as told? With advanced responsibilities in society and many women taking on more roles not only in their own homes and relationships, but in their respective professions they have not only gained more liberties to have more of a say in things, but they've also earned it.

• Men/Women not embracing traditional gender related skills of men/women (handymanship, cooking, cleaning)
If people were to obey traditional roles (not only gender related roles such as the trivial ones you mentioned), there would still be a lot of people in bondage. I think it's time for you to accept that these notions of yours are not only outdated, but extremely sexist and that you shouldn't hold these as a badge of honor, but rather a burden of your left back chauvinist mentality that most people in this society have managed to get past.

• Homosexuality is more accepted than ever (not calling any homosexual person a bad person)
You may not be calling any homosexuals person a "bad person," but you are nonetheless making a negative judgment about a person's identity by insinuating that homosexuality bothers you because it is one of the things responsible for the breakdown in YOUR views on gender without so much as taking into account the majority of gay people who don't fit into the stereotypical roles that you seem to hold about them.

It just seems that that gender racial identification is no longer a priority to us. I thought when a person is first identified, that their sex race was the most important thing. When someone's sex race is identified, at one point, we could sorta assume the skill set that they possesed.
You're no different than the common bigot everyone rallies against when similar comments are flung at people of color.

This guy (or gal) nailed it.

You have a narrow minded view of the world OP. Why waste your time and energy letting what other people do bother you if it's not having a direct effect onyour life. Doesn't you worrying about what the next man is wearin contradict the point you're trying to make? I thought only females worry about otherpeople's fashion choices. You'll never be able to control what other people do, they're gonna do what they want regardless of what your opinion onit is so just focus on yourself and keep it movin. Gender roles don't even really exist it's a social construct. The concept of being a man or a womanhas nothing to do with cooking, cleaning, being handy etc. All people, no matter what they're gender is, should be self reliant and able to fend forthemselves. That means that both women and men should be able to cook for themselves, do their own laundry, as well as know how to change a tire, be handy/fixthings etc. You shouldn't be dependent on someone else to do things for you because you're trying to uphold some archaic socially constructed genderrole.

Why would a woman need to waste time learning to cook, when she could take that energy and put it toward a great career and be able to afford to have someone cook for her? Or marry someone that cooks for her.
Why does "pursuing a great career" and knowing how to cook have to be a sliding scale? Why do you have to give up one to have the other? Not understanding that one man

That's not the point. The point is, why would a woman need such a skill, when she could just as well have someone else do it for them? (As you feel menshould have someone else do it for them). Perhaps they should also weave their own baskets and tailor the family's clothes? Look, I get what you'resaying. Every house needs a cook, but to designate that to the woman of the household, by default, is not only sexist but innaccurate.

PS. I'm done here... have to go prepare dinner for my wife while I watch the Rose Bowl.

Why does "pursuing a great career" and knowing how to cook have to be a sliding scale? Why do you have to give up one to have the other? Not understanding that one man

That's not the point. The point is, why would a woman need such a skill, when she could just as well have someone else do it for them? (As you feel men should have someone else do it for them). Perhaps they should also weave their own baskets and tailor the family's clothes? Look, I get what you're saying. Every house needs a cook, but to designate that to the woman of the household, by default, is not only sexist but innaccurate.

PS. I'm done here... have to go prepare dinner for my wife while I watch the Rose Bowl.
roll.gif
I like you

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

That's not the point. The point is, why would a woman need such a skill, when she could just as well have someone else do it for them? (As you feel men should have someone else do it for them). Perhaps they should also weave their own baskets and tailor the family's clothes? Look, I get what you're saying. Every house needs a cook, but to designate that to the woman of the household, by default, is not only sexist but innaccurate.

roll.gif
I like you

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ended that well

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Do you mean men are wearing skirts and carrying purses nowadays or some other article of clothing that YOU deem as feminine? Trends in fashion come and go. There was a time in the 70's for instance where certain fashions were looked at as blurring the lines of gender, but that passed and even though there are such trends in fashion there are also others that remain very "traditional." There are no absolutes especially with things that change and/or evolve such as clothing. If that was the case you'd be wearing nothing, but a suit, tie and fedora like people did more than half a century ago or thigh high stockings, powdered wigs and sequined velvets outfits like they did 500 years ago, but I doubt you'd be caught dead in either of those.

Dominant as in having more of a say in matters that affect both people in the relationship instead of keeping quiet and doing as told? With advanced responsibilities in society and many women taking on more roles not only in their own homes and relationships, but in their respective professions they have not only gained more liberties to have more of a say in things, but they've also earned it.

If people were to obey traditional roles (not only gender related roles such as the trivial ones you mentioned), there would still be a lot of people in bondage. I think it's time for you to accept that these notions of yours are not only outdated, but extremely sexist and that you shouldn't hold these as a badge of honor, but rather a burden of your left back chauvinist mentality that most people in this society have managed to get past.

You may not be calling any homosexual person a "bad person," but you are nonetheless making a negative judgment about a person's identity by insinuating that homosexuality bothers you because it is one of the things responsible for the breakdown in YOUR views on gender without so much as taking into account the majority of gay people who don't fit into the stereotypical roles that you seem to hold about them.

Just finished watching my movie (Avatar). I was just about to respond until I saw this post...

29o6crk.gif

Well said man, well said...

Same can be asked of you as to why being a woman and knowing how to cook have to go hand in hand? Why do you have to have one with the other?"Because women are supposed to know how to cook" is not a good enough answer.

Back
Top Bottom