Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

Little kids swearing will never be cute or funny. Especially in front of elders :smh:

Maybe I've just been around too many "elders" that don't deserve respect, but just respect everyone, regardless of their age/sex/race/religion/politics. Then once they've shown they don't deserve respect, the gloves are off.

High school teacher here and I have two that I get into it with kids and parents on all of the time:

High school kids shouldn’t have cars unless their parents can pay for it. I have seen so many examples of kids having to work to cover their car or insurance and then their grades and lifestyle suffer. Ultimately, they would have been better off with no car, but the truth is that the parents want them to have the car so they don’t need to drive them around anymore.

High school kids (and younger college kids) should not work in restaurants. It’s a horrible environment for young people with a lot of late nights. People get caught up how much they can make at a young age due to tips that they end up working more and focusing on school less. They get caught up and end up sticking around for a decade until they eventually become realtors or dental hygienists.

This may seem incredibly classist and privileged of me, but I grew up dirt poor in the hood and got by by focusing on school and not getting caught in these traps. These are two very obvious and common situations that derail young people.

My daughter got a job at Chick-fil-A, got fired but I was going to make her quit if they didn’t fire her. Straight scum company trying to run it like a cult.

Now she got a job working for this lady she works a couple weekends a month serving food at stadiums and nascar races all over the south.

It’s fine because she only works weekends, I didn’t even want her to get a job but she wanted one and she seems happier now.

There are some exceptions to my restaurant opinion. It generally applies to places like Chilis, Applebees, and the like. Local pizza spots that are run by 25 year olds. Anywhere that is open late on week nights. Most chains and places that would be labeled a “bar and grill.” These places hire anyone and you don’t want your high school kid hanging with a lot of those adults, especially your daughter.

It does not always apply to mom and pop restaurants. They typically care more about who they bring on. Also, “good” restaurants. I feel like sometimes, but not always the staff is more professional.

I agree with you, I was working clubs and bars at 18. Picked up some bad habits fairly quickly which became a lifestyle for a long time.

The lady who does it is a hair stylist and runs this for extra money. She’s serving concessions at events. If anything she sees the drunk nascar people and laughs. :lol:

Me and my wife both ran restaurants, worked in clubs and everything in between. We aren’t having her work in that mess.

I’m pretty sure she’ll work this job through college, she loves it and makes like 25 bucks an hour which is crazy for a 17 year old.

I also am happy her boss is a nice successful woman with nice things, she’s a good role model for her.

I could’ve sworn there was a law saying that people under 21 can’t physically serve the drinks to patrons who order alcoholic drinks. They can get the order but somebody has to come over and deliver it.

Which would be a failure because the other day I went to a restaurant and asked how was X drink and she says “oh I can’t have it, but the initial mixture syrup of it is good”

There isn’t. :lol:

Child labor laws being broke, nobody in the mf’er paying taxes, half the people working under someone else’s ssn.

Sit down and fire up a cig at the dinner table as soon as the places closes, live in there if you want.

They are lawless places and that’s how the employees prefer it tbh. Cash is king especially during Covid era.

Tax free main income thru tips still boggles my mind

I get upset a bit and then I remember all the entitled mf’s that they have to deal with and then I just keep it pushin

Food service industry is something else

Same with my kid. I said just stick with that lady until you’re done with college. She’s a family friend who treats you well and that’s all you can ask for in a job when you’re young.

Chick-fil-A fired my daughter for not smiling and complying with handing your phone in when you start your shift. Proud dad moment.

Yeah I told my nephew when he started working that none of those jobs at that age matter in the long run and don't let them treat you like crap, just quit. The lowest wage and stakes jobs are the ones that want to treat people the absolute worst.

This is another one. I tell kids all the time that they need to establish boundaries at their job instead of letting their 35 year old alcoholic boss make them work long hours. They have no idea - that job needs the kid way more than the kid needs the job. The job would rather have an honor student working the cash register than someone older who is willing to work for that low of pay, because of the baggage the older person likely comes with.

I have no issues with summer jobs, or even weekend only jobs, but those restaurant jobs can destroy young people, same with car payments.

Other unpopular opinion - playing youth sports to “get a scholarship” is dumb. The people that try to boil their high school athletic career down to some kind of financial equation almost never make it but will use this to justify selfishness and generally miss out on all of the lessons you are SUPPOSED to learn (teamwork, sacrifice, discipline, etc.).

Play sports to go places, to open doors, or because you love it, but don’t try and boil it down to some financial decision until you are going pro. And again, it’s usually the parents that corrupt their kids into this because it will save them some cash. If you just want a scholarship, try to get good grades or go JROTC.

And I say this as someone that has coached many future college athletes and even some pros.

More and more, I'm learning that when someone says something like "I need to finally start putting myself first," odds are that they've been doing exactly that for a very long time and now they're just going to kick it up another gear.
Like the 5 times they did something for someone else last year felt weird to them, so there will be exactly 0 times over the next year because... "I need to finally start putting myself first."

High school teacher here and I have two that I get into it with kids and parents on all of the time:

High school kids shouldn’t have cars unless their parents can pay for it. I have seen so many examples of kids having to work to cover their car or insurance and then their grades and lifestyle suffer. Ultimately, they would have been better off with no car, but the truth is that the parents want them to have the car so they don’t need to drive them around anymore.

High school kids (and younger college kids) should not work in restaurants. It’s a horrible environment for young people with a lot of late nights. People get caught up how much they can make at a young age due to tips that they end up working more and focusing on school less. They get caught up and end up sticking around for a decade until they eventually become realtors or dental hygienists.

This may seem incredibly classist and privileged of me, but I grew up dirt poor in the hood and got by by focusing on school and not getting caught in these traps. These are two very obvious and common situations that derail young people.
Not gonna lie I’m 32 and got trapped in exactly the restaurant thing you’re talking about. been here since I was 19. Stopped going to school when I was 1 semester away from an associates. It’s hard to give up cash
I’ve been trying to make a change for a couple years now I just have no idea what to do unfortunately. Giving me crazy anxiety/depression, all that..just feel stuck

I don’t think I’m built for blue collar work. I got soft hands brother :lol: . If anything im prob gonna go back to school for something in the medical field. Corporate life scares tf out of me

My brother actually just sold his landscaping company and is looking for an equipment operator job hopefully eventually in the union

Yeah it isn’t for everyone but it’s really not that bad… if you’ve been in the service industry that long you got thick skin and you’d be better than you think I bet.

I’m not about corporate life either. I feel you on that. I worked for a big construction company and I couldn’t even deal with that. I like the small companies.

Good luck to your brother. I’m in the local operators union here. Once he lands a job he’ll be set. It can be hard to get in at first but he’s got experience so he’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom