Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

With that being said....people who "hate" small talk lack social skills. Small talk isn't cringe, you are. Checking out is literally just, "Hey how are you?", "I'm good, thank" That's it. If you're a pro, you can ask, "How about you?". They'll just say "Fine.", and go to work.

Protip: If someone is making small talk, just answer the questions genuinely. Unless you're just a dry *** person, an actual conversation will start.
but its def a north vs south/texas thing too, no?

Does social anxiety factor into this take? How about social phobia? Insecurities?
If its REAL, diagnosed anxiety(lets be for real, we're starting the throw "mental health" around pretty liberally recently), then say THAT. Don't try to make it about the act. Instead of saying "I hate small talk", "small talk sucks" or "I don't want to talk to people" say, "I struggle with small talk." If it just regular ol insecurities, you're supposed to trying to overcome them. Wake up and try to be a better person than you were yesterday.
but its def a north vs south/texas thing too, no?
Eh, maybe so, but I'm noticing younger people are saying this even in the south. I know most of us was kind of social awkward when they're coming into adulthood, but its just a phase and the only person that is going to get you out of that phase is you.

If its REAL, diagnosed anxiety(lets be for real, we're starting the throw "mental health" around pretty liberally recently), then say THAT. Don't try to make it about the act. Instead of saying "I hate small talk", "small talk sucks" or "I don't want to talk to people" say, "I struggle with small talk." If it just regular ol insecurities, you're supposed to trying to overcome them. Wake up and try to be a better person than you were yesterday.

Eh, maybe so, but I'm noticing younger people are saying this even in the south. I know most of us was kind of social awkward when they're coming into adulthood, but its just a phase and the only person that is going to get you out of that phase is you.
Not everyone with diagnosible personality disorders have been diagnosed, though.

And not everyone who has a diagnosible personality disorder has the wherewithal to be able to identify what they have.

Also, I'm not sure that someone's insecurity that leads to difficulty with small talk is something that we need to be responding with "Do better. " Like if someone is a chronic procrastinator and they're late to work all the time, like bad late to the point where they're in and out of jobs because of their unreliability, and they're constantly missing their kid's functions, that's definitely something that we should all be responding with "Do better." Their mental issue Is having a directly negative effect on the lives of others.

If someone has something like Intermittent Explosive Disorder, where the slightest things trigger their rage, that's definitely something where we should all be responding with "Do better." Their mental issue is having a directly negative effect on the lives of others.

But an insecurity that just makes it difficult for someone to engage in small talk? Does that really warrant a "Do better" response? "You have to say 'Have a good day' to people when you buy apples so fix that ****."

Yes. Its part of being a mature adult in functioning society. U cant go around being rude and dismissive and blame it on mental health. Get yourself institutionalized if its that bad.

Yes. Its part of being a mature adult in functioning society. U cant go around being rude and dismissive and blame it on mental health. Get yourself institutionalized if its that bad.
Not engaging in small talk is grounds for institutionalization?!

So, in your common mental health institution, you would have people who see things that aren't really there, people who think that the outlets on the walls are talking, (yes, that's a real thing), people with PTSD from various traumas and now things like flickering lights send them in the corner crying... and people who don't say 'Have a nice day' back when the cashier says 'Have a nice day'? Those are all on the same level to you?

My version of rude is 'You ***hole.'

I have at least a 1/2 a dozen people every day that don't respond to a quick word I threw out there. I have never once thought that was rude for them not to say anything back. I'm not entitled to enough to think that people HAVE to respond to me when I open my mouth and talk. What people do with their bodies is their choice, and that includes their lips & vocal cords.

Yes, I do think entitlement is at the core of this topic.

Not everyone with diagnosible personality disorders have been diagnosed, though.

And not everyone who has a diagnosible personality disorder has the wherewithal to be able to identify what they have.

Also, I'm not sure that someone's insecurity that leads to difficulty with small talk is something that we need to be responding with "Do better. " Like if someone is a chronic procrastinator and they're late to work all the time, like bad late to the point where they're in and out of jobs because of their unreliability, and they're constantly missing their kid's functions, that's definitely something that we should all be responding with "Do better." Their mental issue Is having a directly negative effect on the lives of others.

If someone has something like Intermittent Explosive Disorder, where the slightest things trigger their rage, that's definitely something where we should all be responding with "Do better." Their mental issue is having a directly negative effect on the lives of others.

But an insecurity that just makes it difficult for someone to engage in small talk? Does that really warrant a "Do better" response? "You have to say 'Have a good day' to people when you buy apples so fix that ****."

Do better

Not engaging in small talk is grounds for institutionalization?!

So, in your common mental health institution, you would have people who see things that aren't really there, people who think that the outlets on the walls are talking, (yes, that's a real thing), people with PTSD from various traumas and now things like flickering lights send them in the corner crying... and people who don't say 'Have a nice day' back when the cashier says 'Have a nice day'? Those are all on the same level to you?

My version of rude is 'You ***hole.'

I have at least a 1/2 a dozen people every day that don't respond 2 a quick word I threw out there. I have never once thought that was rude for them not to say anything back. I'm not entitled to enough to think that people HAVE to respond to me when I open my mouth and talk. What people do with their bodies is their choice, and that includes their lips & vocal cords.

Yes, I do think entitlement is at the core of this topic.
Your still trying to classify exchanging pleasantries as small talk. Saying "hi how are you. Good thanks" is not small talk.

BUt ofcourse a website full of individuals who type more than they talk will get offended by what any respectable adult will tell you.

U scared to talk adults in public yet we're the weird ones :lol:

Your still trying to classify exchanging pleasantries as small talk. Saying "hi how are you. Good thanks" is not small talk.

BUt ofcourse a website full of individuals who type more than they talk will get offended by what any respectable adult will tell you.

U scared to talk adults in public yet we're the weird ones :lol:
So it takes bravery to talk to adults in public?

Rhetorical question.

Ignorance towards mental issues is the obstacle here.

I aint never copping furniture brand new again, the old **** better than that new ****, and about 1/100th the price too

Run a black light over that used furniture though. See if you think new stuff is overrated then.

re: Small Talk: "Good morning, how are you" isn't what I would consider small talk.

Being stuck in an elevator and having to have a superficial convo to pass those 30 seconds is what EYE would call small talk.

It happens SO infrequently that it isn't even worth complaining about TBH. Both parties know wassup.

I love Gel Lyte 3's but I browse the ASICS thread often and I swear those dudes don't be serious about liking 85% of what's being posted in there.

Most of those shoes are seriously stuff old grandpas would wear. Air Monarch types.

I guess it isn't for me to understand.

If you plan to keep a new car past the payments take whatever maintenance the manufacturer suggest and cut it in half maybe 75%. Ex they recommend oil changes every 10k do it every 5k-7.5k. Automakers don't want you to Not buy a new car.

People focusing on supporting someone/something because they disagree with something they've said/done is a weird hill to die on living in America & using all the products in this country that are essential.

Because if your gonna do that wait until you find out about all the atrocities many of these companies or their senior staff have committed.

Back
Top Bottom