Does america have a speech problem? vol...jameis winston

Speaking publicly ain't easy!!! Michael Bay couldn't even talk about entertainment because the font on his prompter was wrong recently...

This man quit on a pre-rehersed presentation cause of font but people mad Jameis got a little off track after winning the National Championship as a Freshman. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Let him live, he gave a good speech. People want him to precisely recap the game in the middle of his biggest moment like he's a professional broadcaster.

Exactly I just don't like the " oh he just a county bwoy" excuse, what does that even mean? What does being country mean in terms of speech?

It has nothing to do with race, at least not me AJ sounds slow too :lol:

You dont get it, but you sholl got a lot to say about it....

Let that boy cook, there wasn't anything wrong with what he was saying...He was just into the moment.

Its not a huge problem per say, but there are FAR too many people from all walks of life that think slang is OK in every day speak. When you get in the corporate world, you are looked upon as an idiot no matter who you are. Slang does NOT work in a business setting.

Where does it start? The class room.

When I was a kid slang would not be tolerated in the class room. Period.

Its a LOT bigger issue however than just saying "the classroom." Teachers aren't paid nearly what they deserve so you get unmotivated, uninspired and half *** teachers "teaching."

If the parent's aren't going to correct you, then the teacher should. If they're not going to do it, then this is what you get.

Oh and my point isn't about Jameis. I honestly understood everything the kid said. Wasn't nearly as bad as some athletes out there.

I can cosign with that corporate thing. I don't even think I speak slang at all but I can't do the corporate water fountain talk at all. I grew up with a lot of guys that spoke immaturely and talk like that to this day but to their credit, they don't work at a corporate job. It's just odd cause I would think most people would grow out of it but sadly they don't. I mean even talking to your friends like that is cool but I am 32 and people are still calling other friends the N-word....and I am asian.

I took speech class back in college and we had a couple of football players in there and most actually took that class so they could learn how to talk in front of folks as if it was a press conference. Still....both of them (they were both black) couldn't break the "know what I am saying" response but at least the class helped them out a lot.

Exactly I just don't like the " oh he just a county bwoy" excuse, what does that even mean? What does being country mean in terms of speech?

It has nothing to do with race, at least not me AJ sounds slow too :lol:

You dont get it, but you sholl got a lot to say about it....
Thank you captain obvious for pointing out I'm adding an opinion to a topic on a forum, I appreciate bruh.

Speaking publicly ain't easy!!! Michael Bay couldn't even talk about entertainment because the font on his prompter was wrong recently...

This man quit on a pre-rehersed presentation cause of font but people mad Jameis got a little off track after winning the National Championship as a Freshman. :lol:

This is hilarious

I keep saying this... Dude is just country as hell, from Alabama.

If you actually listen to what hes actually saying, you may end up being impressed with his poise and leadership.

Hes a smart kid.

Dude came out of HS with a 4.0 and has a 3.0 at FSU.
If you've watched his other interviews, dude is very poised and articulates himself well.
Dude is just country and was full of adrenaline.

Basically

the fact  that this is an "issue" is beyond appalling, there was absolutely nothing wrong with his speech whatsoever.

i dont even want to venture into youtube or anywhere else for that matter to read racist comments.

this young man just achieved something awesome and everyone is dissecting his obvious overwhelmed excited glorious celebration speech.

i am not surprised by this at all, college football also has some of the biggest idiots as fans.

these dudes are otherwise saying terrible things about minorities unless they play for their school, im sure they also yell slurs at the TV when they mess up a play.

the brothas are nothing but race horses to em 
mean.gif

but  honestly this is nothing like precious taking the stand during the treyvon trial,

that was beyond reckless to let this young woman take the stand without properly educating her about the significance of her testimony.

The biggest deal to me are people who can't speak more than two sentences without saying, "umm" "like" I'm sayin" " know what i mean" "ya know". And all kinds of people do it.

Forget adrenaline... Excited or not,  I really didn't see anything wrong with his speech

His was missing a couple linking verbs here and there (ie. We Proud = We ARE Proud)

And he was speaking at a pretty quick pace

But really I was expecting it to be embarrassing and it wasn't even close. I'm kind of a grammar nazi and I wasn't bothered one bit. The people criticizing him should be ashamed of themselves. Probably the same people saying "hey you don't speak GOOD"... the irony.

I want y'all to go win the bcs national championship, attempt to make a final closing statement on national TV........ THEN talk about how he speaks

but  honestly this is nothing like precious taking the stand during the treyvon trial,

that was beyond reckless to let this young woman take the stand without properly educating her about the significance of her testimony.

So it's wrong to make fun of Jameis but you see no problem with making fun of this woman? Oh ok, I guess them white women would have convicted Zimmerman because a black girl spoke like she wasn't from the south that day :lol:

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think he is a poor speaker or unable able to speak properly.  If you feel differently, then so be it.  Also, even if he were the face of the university and the football team as you put it, he's just that.......the FACE, not the mouthpiece. 

He's not the pubic relations manager, not the spokesperson, not the dean, not the chancellor or any other title that is associated with and more importantly directly PAID by the university to perform said task.  He's a just recently turned 20 year old student athlete, 20.........that most likely had an influx of emotion and adrenaline all at one time as cameras rushed up to him after he just won the biggest game of his life. 

But don't be naive, you know the face of the university means the person who speaks and represents the university...they aren't a mime or a picture. C'mon.

AND

all these kids in big time universities who are on TV and do interviews are ALL put through media training. They are taught how to speak in those situations what to say and what not to say

im about as un-country as it gets and i didnt feel like he had any problems speaking at all that night

did a lot better that i would have if i had to speak in front of thousands of people and on national tv

why aren't yall concerned about honey boo boo and her family of inbreds?

because she is a dumb fat little cow that means NOTHING to society nor will she contribute anything positive to society. NOR is she a football player who is a major potential star who has serious expectations of representation, skill and professionalism riding on her.

It's a completely different situation. Don't be silly.

The biggest deal to me are people who can't speak more than two sentences without saying, "umm" "like" I'm sayin" " know what i mean" "ya know". And all kinds of people do it.
One of those people just got a job at ESPN...
Tim-Tebow-20786869-1-402.jpg

Watch this MIss America video Jameis didn't sound as bad as her

@venom lyrix
 When you grow up in a place where everyone is speaking a certain way from the time you come out of the womb, you inherently adopt that kind of "accent"... There are some things that I'm sure if he were to be making a presentation for a class he would clean up i.e. "they were" instead of "they was" etc.

If you're from the south surrounded by people who speak that way its going to be your natural way of speaking.  If they all had British accents in Alabama then he'd sound like a character from some Guy Ritchie film talking about "I WAS ON THE BOUNDRY WITH ME LADS AND THE LOT OF US MUSTERED THE STRENF TO WIN THE MATCH!!". :lol:  

I'm confident that if he wanted to tighten up his grammatical errors he could easily do so.  But the accent isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I 100% agree and think as he matures and surrounds himself with other people, and is in a "less country" enviornment he will develop and become more articulate. I think any and every person has that type of development as they progress through life. It's a maturity thing more then a "dumb" or "country" thing.

I want y'all to go win the bcs national championship, attempt to make a final closing statement on national TV........ THEN talk about how he speaks

and seeing how none of us will ever be in that position how about you come up with a more logical, thoughtful and realistic come back.

People ain't never heard southern accent before....and it was post game like dude just won a national championship. ..

Back
Top Bottom