Does NT Have a Race Problem?

Does NT have a race problem?

• Total voters
Do you guys do anything in real life? Have a community? Groups? Black excellence/support programs, anything that actually moves the topic forward Or are you just keyboard social justice warriors?

this is the biggest difference between trolls and real life people. And probably why I never ever took khufu serious. But I will retract everything I said and give mad props, not that it matters, if you guys actually do positive things in the community

how about we post some of that. See khufu it’s not people r racists if they don’t acknowledge what you have to say and all the history and all The other knowledge you have... it’s just what are they supposed to do? You just want to hear people say yes I’m a racists. when your goal should be way more than that

Personally I'm a member of the Staff Equity at the high school I teach at. Which means I'm apart of the staff who evaluate the disparities between class makeup, disciplinary punishments etc. Basically checks and balances.

Also I'm the club advisor for the BSU (Black Student Union). I think it's a futile goal to attempt to change the ideology of adults. The vast majority of them already have their own beliefs and from my experience do not change them.

However the youth are still moldable and can be impacted, that's just my opinion though. I would rather help the next generation coming along.

Personally I'm a member of the Staff Equity at the high school I teach at. Which means I'm apart of the staff who evaluate the disparities between class makeup, disciplinary punishments etc. Basically checks and balances.

Also I'm the club advisor for the BSU (Black Student Union). I think it's a futile goal to attempt to change the ideology of adults. The vast majority of them already have their own beliefs and from my experience do not change them.

However the youth are still moldable and can be impacted, that's just my opinion though. I would rather help the next generation coming along.

that's dope. do you mind talking about some disparities you witnessed/helped fixed or anything related?

Regarding the question in the title, 'Does NT have a race problem?' Absolutely. Like I said earlier, any group of people comprised of different races will inherently have a race problem. There are people who base their entire opinions of someone and their comfort level with someone strictly on their race. Unfortunately, even on message boards, there are people who form their entire opinion of someone strictly based on the race of that person, or the race that they assume that person to be. The posts of others are filtered through the one thing that matters to them:

Race.

That's a problem.

Their are posters on NT that used to be racist but as time goes by their views changed. Certain racist mod still lurks but his views are changed for the better. Lotta information/opinions are positive on this forum. Especially if you grew up in a Christian household

The "I don't see race" thing is baffling to me. When u have the time, may u explain what that means to you?
Are you only looking for a response from those people you tagged? I have a thought regarding 'I don't see race/color', a thought I ALWAYS tell people when I hear them say that, but if you're only interested in the thoughts of those tagged, then nevermind. No big deal.

that's dope. do you mind talking about some disparities you witnessed/helped fixed or anything related?

I enjoy those type of things, just going to work and going home makes it feel like I'm not making an impact...I wish I still had the data and the percentages regarding the rate of referrals. But from what I remember the disparities is what you would expect we have a predominantly caucasian upper middle class student population.

Around 60-65% white, Hispanic is in the 15-20% range, and our Black and Asian population is around 10% each, but of course minorities are the students who account to around 70% of the referrals, suspensions etc.

The teams rotate throughout the year so you don't get burnt out on one subject throughout the year. My chance to be on the discipline team was going to be April so I never got an opportunity to review actual referrals.

I spent the majority of my year on class enrollment, and school culture. Last year I pushed the counselors to offer my courses (Computer Science) to more than just the Caucasian, and Asian population. Last year between both semesters I taught a total of 4 students who were Black or Hispanic, and my classes had a gender ratio of 8:1 male to female

This year we got that number up to 10, and the gender ratio is 6:1. My BSU kids planned a Block party for BHM and all the kids seemed to have loved it and enjoyed it. Those were my victories for this school year. Sucks we can't go back still had a lot left on the calendar.

Their are posters on NT that used to be racist but as time goes by their views changed. Certain racist mod still lurks but his views are changed for the better. Lotta information/opinions are positive on this forum. Especially if you grew up in a Christian household
Was the christian thing oppressive for you?

1. Are you only looking for a response from those people you tagged? 2. I have a thought regarding 'I don't see race/color', a thought I ALWAYS tell people when I hear them say that, but if you're only interested in the thoughts of those tagged, then nevermind. No big deal.
1. Yeah, I was looking to them directly b/c they picked that option.
2. The floor is yours man.

1. Yeah, I was looking to them directly b/c they picked that option.
2. The floor is yours man.
Thanks. Almost every time I see/hear someone say 'I don't see color' or 'I don't see race', I tell them something along the lines of 'That really undermines the struggle of those fighting for equality, though.' And the standard response to that is something I've touched on earlier in the thread, something along the lines of 'Man, all that slavery and segregation and whatever else was so long ago. Things will never be perfect, but everyone has the same chance today. If you are in jail, it's because you did something. If you're not working, it's because you don't want do.'

And like I've touched on earlier in the thread, not only are those people wrong, (and depending on the time and location of the conversation, I have no problem telling them that they are not only wrong), but in the way.

Not seeing race and not seeing color is not seeing the inequality, intentionally.

Thanks. Almost every time I see/hear someone say 'I don't see color' or 'I don't see race', I tell them something along the lines of 'That really undermines the struggle of those fighting for equality, though.' And the standard response to that is something I've touched on earlier in the thread, something along the lines of 'Man, all that slavery and segregation and whatever else was so long ago. Things will never be perfect, but everyone has the same chance today. If you are in jail, it's because you did something. If you're not working, it's because you don't want do.'

And like I've touched on earlier in the thread, not only are those people wrong, (and depending on the time and location of the conversation, I have no problem telling them that they are not only wrong), but in the way.

Not seeing race and not seeing color is not seeing the inequality, intentionally.
That last sentence hit the nail right one the head, and in reading your explanation our interpretation is pretty much the same. It's dismissive, and in a way it's an injustice towards equality by ignoring inequality.

If your car has a really bad oil leak and you continue to put it off or in this case ignore it, eventually your car is gonna stop working. So many small issues become big issues b/c ppl fail to put forth the effort into fixing them b4 it's too late.

As stated on this thread and others. Many posters on NIkeTalk are good with Black people, until it is time for Black people to talk about being Black. Shut up and dribble.

That last sentence hit the nail right one the head, and in reading your explanation our interpretation is pretty much the same. It's dismissive, and in a way it's an injustice towards equality by ignoring inequality.

If your car has a really bad oil leak and you continue to put it off or in this case ignore it, eventually your car is gonna stop working. So many small issues become big issues b/c ppl fail to put forth the effort into fixing them b4 it's too late.
From what I've seen, that's the problem: being affected.

A driver will acknowledge an oil leak and search for a remedy, because it will directly affect them if not.

A white person either not seeing inequality, or seeing it but choosing to minimize it, they can do that from the comfort of not being a POC.

My struggle in tackling oppression right now today is in getting those who THINK they can sit comfortably because they are not a POC... and showing them that they have fooled themselves. It has affected, does affect, and will continue to affect them; they just don't see it and haven't been made aware of how, in my opinion.

I didn't vote, I don't care what race you are. You could be white, black, grey, red, blue, purple. If you're cool, I'll be friends with you.
Same. However, I'm touching on the "I don't see color" thing. I believe u to be chinese and sorry if I'm wrong, but for the following question(s) sake I'm gonna assume you're & look like someone typically from China. Now I'm not sure how popular anime/manga is over so there, but by chance are you fan of it?

Same. However, I'm touching on the "I don't see color" thing. I believe u to be chinese and sorry if I'm wrong, but for the following question(s) sake I'm gonna assume you're & look like someone typically from China. Now I'm not sure how popular anime/manga is over so there, but by chance are you fan of it?

Curious, do you keep track of what race NTers are? A file of some sort of just memory?

I am Chinese, yes, but I am born and raised in the USA. However, I know anime and manga are very popular in China. While I am a big Naruto fan, I don't consider myself a huge anime fan.

What anime/manga u watch and read?

I am Chinese, yes, but I am born and raised in the USA. However, I know anime and manga are very popular in China. While I am a big Naruto fan, I don't consider myself a huge anime fan.
Alright so a years ago the anime/manga Ghost in the Shell which is one the most popular things to emerge from the art had a live adaptation. Major who is the main character of the series was played by Scarlett Johansson white woman. Major is Japanese and a "typical" East Asian. When people "don't see colour" things like ethnic/cultural misrepresentation takes place takes place.

MOvies like Moonlight & Parasite winning moty Oscars shouldn't be a big deal in the sense that "this is progressive," but they are b/c of the constant whitewashing in Hollywood. The whole "I don't see race/colour" is a major component of racism b/c it's approving it by acting like it isn't there.

What are your observations on Africans now being blamed for the corona virus in China?

Back
Top Bottom