Does water cause yellowing on icy bottoms?

Originally Posted by gzagenius

guys.... theyre SOLES, who the hell is looking at the bottom of your shoes?
Its For Collection Purposes...
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

silica only in humid areas or what?

I'm just about to order a pack of 500 1 gram silica gel packets... Its hot and hella humid in Miami so I got to be on point!
smokin.gif

silica only in humid areas or what?

I'm just about to order a pack of 500 1 gram silica gel packets... Its hot and hella humid in Miami so I got to be on point!
smokin.gif

I would make sure you know what you're doing man. I wish someone would comment on the use of silica and the effect they have on kicks if used improperly. If its already been answered, which I'm sure it has, could someone post the link?

I would make sure you know what you're doing man. I wish someone would comment on the use of silica and the effect they have on kicks if used improperly. If its already been answered, which I'm sure it has, could someone post the link?

^Bet dat! I was just thinking which size and how many packets should I place in my ziplock bag. I dont want to dry out the leather on my sneakers! Hopefully this has been brought up before. If it has please post the link.

^Bet dat! I was just thinking which size and how many packets should I place in my ziplock bag. I dont want to dry out the leather on my sneakers! Hopefully this has been brought up before. If it has please post the link.

The silica packs are keep moisture away.  I don't know how effective they would be in an extremely humid area, but that is what they are supposed to do.

You don't need many of them... one in the box should be sufficient.  There are stories that using tons of them (and having them all in contact with the shoes) can cause damaged (probably damage that is similar to what happens if you saran wrap the shoes extremely tight to avoid all air contact... the materials need some amount of air to "breathe", otherwise they will completely dry out and crumble).

Here's what I would recommend (again, in extremely humid areas, it may only slow the process of yellowing... because humid areas are just that much more subject to the effects of oxidation):
- Keep the shoes away from any paper in the box
- Keep the shoes in a cool/dry/dark area as often as possible
- If using silica gel packets, only one is really needed; it can be put in the box (but try to avoid it touching the shoes directly)
- Use of a zip lock bag would be fine (or even loose plastic wrap) as long as the bag isn't dirty/wet/etc.; also, you don't want to "vacuum" seal it/try to take ALL the air out ( because there needs to be some air flow; the point of the bag would really be to help avoid touching the paper, but I think it could also lessen the amount of air/moisture that the shoes are subject to)
- If worn, washing the soles with water is fine (cleaning the soles/getting rid of any dirt spots/marks/etc. is definitely recommended); just try to dry them as well as possible, and don't put them in the bag/store them until you are sure they have completely dried

These are all methods that I use (although, I must say that I live in a very dry state, so that definitely helps).

The silica packs are keep moisture away.  I don't know how effective they would be in an extremely humid area, but that is what they are supposed to do.

You don't need many of them... one in the box should be sufficient.  There are stories that using tons of them (and having them all in contact with the shoes) can cause damaged (probably damage that is similar to what happens if you saran wrap the shoes extremely tight to avoid all air contact... the materials need some amount of air to "breathe", otherwise they will completely dry out and crumble).

Here's what I would recommend (again, in extremely humid areas, it may only slow the process of yellowing... because humid areas are just that much more subject to the effects of oxidation):
- If using silica gel packets, only one is really needed; it can be put in the box (but try to avoid it touching the shoes directly)
- Use of a zip lock bag would be fine (or even loose plastic wrap) as long as the bag isn't dirty/wet/etc.; also, you don't want to "vacuum" seal it/try to take ALL the air out ( because there needs to be some air flow; the point of the bag would really be to help avoid touching the paper, but I think it could also lessen the amount of air/moisture that the shoes are subject to)
- If worn, washing the soles with water is fine (cleaning the soles/getting rid of any dirt spots/marks/etc. is definitely recommended); just try to dry them as well as possible, and don't put them in the bag/store them until you are sure they have completely dried

These are all methods that I use (although, I must say that I live in a very dry state, so that definitely helps).

Does anyone know if the paper (stuffing) does anything to the shoes?

I have never heard of this causing any ill-effects.  The layer of foam/cloth/material that is on the inside of the shoes seems to negate any of its possible effects (I really only think the effect's of the paper are when there is direct contact with a part of the shoe where the appearance is subject to oxidation).

Does anyone know if the paper (stuffing) does anything to the shoes?

I have never heard of this causing any ill-effects.  The layer of foam/cloth/material that is on the inside of the shoes seems to negate any of its possible effects (I really only think the effect's of the paper are when there is direct contact with a part of the shoe where the appearance is subject to oxidation).

Icey soles turn yellow from humidity and heat such as suffocation and degreaser cleaners such as 409, simple green etc. Wipe off after every wear with a damp rag or unscented body wash if needed.

Icey soles turn yellow from humidity and heat such as suffocation and degreaser cleaners such as 409, simple green etc. Wipe off after every wear with a damp rag or unscented body wash if needed.

well oxidation is a funny word, caused by oxygen (oxi) so if you want them to never yellow please put them in a vacuum chamber and carry them around instead of wearing them. they will yellow regardless but not cleaning them will make it faster. why is this always a question? its common sense.

well oxidation is a funny word, caused by oxygen (oxi) so if you want them to never yellow please put them in a vacuum chamber and carry them around instead of wearing them. they will yellow regardless but not cleaning them will make it faster. why is this always a question? its common sense.

Originally Posted by brooklynnyc3000

^

Hell yeh! I always clean my Jordans before I put them back in the box. That's just nasty if you don't.

And I never had any yellowing problems using regular tap water to clean my icy sole Jordans. Just make sure to dry the soles off with a towel afterward.

I really hope this was a joke

^

Hell yeh! I always clean my Jordans before I put them back in the box. That's just nasty if you don't.

And I never had any yellowing problems using regular tap water to clean my icy sole Jordans. Just make sure to dry the soles off with a towel afterward.

Originally Posted by WhatisLove

Thats sounds about right... Im wit it. Thanks for the pm with the link ElCerrito I appreciate that. I couldnt reply to your pm cuz im on my iphone. This is off subject but does tapatalk app work well with NT and other forums?

Originally Posted by WhatisLove

Thats sounds about right... Im wit it. Thanks for the pm with the link ElCerrito I appreciate that. I couldnt reply to your pm cuz im on my iphone. This is off subject but does tapatalk app work well with NT and other forums?

Originally Posted by Magic1978

^

No, it's not a joke.
Why would it be a problem? You walk around in your Jordans all day which attracts a bunch of dirt and other disgusting stuff that sticks to the bottom of your sole and you're not going to clean them up before putting them back in the box?

I paid hundreds of dollars for my Jordans so I'll make sure they stay pristine as possible.

Originally Posted by Magic1978

^

No, it's not a joke.
Why would it be a problem? You walk around in your Jordans all day which attracts a bunch of dirt and other disgusting stuff that sticks to the bottom of your sole and you're not going to clean them up before putting them back in the box?

I paid hundreds of dollars for my Jordans so I'll make sure they stay pristine as possible.

Back
Top Bottom