Dog Owners: How hard is it to train a puppy?

BukHumYai

formerly trill bill
So me and the Mrs. have wanted a dog for years now, and we're seriously considering getting one sometime. I've asked the homies about training a puppy but wanted to hear other people's opinions. How hard is it to train a puppy? Potty training, not to bite, etc. What methods worked for you? 
nerd.gif

not that hard unless your dog is a total dunce. all it takes is patience and time.

i crate trained my dog. first week or so was tough, but once she got the hang of it, it was like a light switch went on and it was smooth sailing from there.

depends how much time you spend with the pup, if both of you have a 9-5, i wouldn't recommend getting a dog yet.
Yea this is my concern. Of course like anything else in life, you put the time in you'll see results but what about a bachelor who spends 10-12 hours a day out the house? 

Don't lie to me am I wrong to think it's pretty improbable?

Regardless, a Dogo Argentino is in my future. 

Last edited:
I potty trained my dog in about a week. Now, whenever he's ready to use the bathroom, he goes and stands by the door.

Really depends on the breed, some are easier than others, also being consistent and strict with the training is most important.

Really does depend on the breed, I know too many people with bad huskys who tear up everything and dont listen. Crate training is the way to go, along with always being the alpha so they know whos in charge.

it's not hard, but it'll require a lot of time and patience.

I have a husky, and we got him when he was about 6 weeks. As far as potty training goes, for the first two weeks or so we had him go on a puppy pad, and then slowly transitioned to outdoors. Took about 2 more weeks for him to get fully potty trained.

The pad training was easy cause as soon as we brought him home he **** on the pad :lol:

Walking is still kind of a pain in the *** because he likes to pull.

Last edited:
Really does depend on the breed, I know too many people with bad huskys who tear up everything and dont listen. Crate training is the way to go, along with always being the alpha so they know whos in charge.

I have a husky, and we got him when he was about 6 weeks. As far as potty training goes, for the first two weeks or so we had him go on a puppy pad, and then slowly transitioned to outdoors. Took about 2 more weeks for him to get fully potty trained.

The pad training was easy cause as soon as we brought him home he **** on the pad
laugh.gif

I have a Boxer and as playful and fun of a puppy he was, he was a pain. There were times where I really wanted to give him up because he ate all the shoes and would bite on my pant leg. But training him and rewarding him for all the good things he does, he became a great dog. I was suprised when the Vet said he was one of the most trained dogs she's seen lol.

My wife and I are contemplating if we should get a Frenchie...But the prices for them are crazy.

My family and i were in that situation as well. We almost gave him up after a year. Parents had gotten the documents together and everything.

But we stuck with it, 5 years later he's still my best friend.

6 months in and my dog still doesn't give a **** and cries every time I put him up.

The pad training was easy cause as soon as we brought him home he **** on the pad :lol:

what kind of collar do you have on him? My girl used to pull all the time when she a pup. My wife is about 110lbs and my dog is 70-75lb so pulling was going to be a problem. I got a sprenger pinch collar and had a trainer come over to work with us (in hindsiight trainer was a waste of money) and now she hardly if ever pulls. Just like anything else it took some time and practice.

depends how much time you spend with the pup, if both of you have a 9-5, i wouldn't recommend getting a dog yet.

Yea this is my concern. Of course like anything else in life, you put the time in you'll see results but what about a bachelor who spends 10-12 hours a day out the house? 

Don't lie to me am I wrong to think it's pretty improbable?

Regardless, a Dogo Argentino is in my future. 

If you are a bachelor who spends 10-12 hours out the house DO NOT GET A DOG. its unfair for the dog, but more importantly its unfair for you.

If you got stacks to spend on dogwalkers, doggy daycare, and stuff like that then you can probably make it work, otherwise I wouldnt recommend it.

I have the one where it'll choke if he pulls. But I dunno if it does anything cause huskies are built to pull :lol:

Most of the time he'll walk real well, but other days he'll pull.

^ might be worth trying a pinch collar. instead of hurting him, it just gives him a quick reminder to knock that S off.

just put the collar on so that its loose and keep a short lead. i would give no more than 2 feet of leash lead so that my dog was walkin right by my side. as soon as she would try to get ahead of me to pull i'd give the lead a sharp tug to correct her. it took a little bit of practice but now shes comfortable with it. i'll let my 20 month old daughter walk my dog as long as she has that collar on.

We're thinking either a Maltese or Yorkie. We don't have a fence, so no big dog :frown:

My sister has a Maltese, she's had her for 10 years going on 11. They are pretty smart, but very attached. She gets sad when my sister goes out or goes on vacation & leaves her with me. The dog enjoys my company, but nothing replaces her owner. Also, she has a good sense of smell. As soon as my sister walks through the door she runs or scratches the door to get to her. Pretty friendly, to my niece & nephew. The dog is very jealous & over protective of their owner and family. Other than that, great dog.

Pics for the beast, not of my sister.
View media item 1410565View media item 1410566

Edit:
Just gave my sisters daughter (my niece) a Pitbull for getting an award at school recently, she loves him.

Last edited:
Adopted a 1.5 year old pit. She was from a **** home but she was trained so damn well.  Later adopted a lab-shepard mix with no training.  She was easy to train but I honestly think it was because she is the beta of the two and follows the lead of the pit.  Like others have said, it depends on a lot of factors IMO

View media item 1414902Here's my boy at 8 months almost 60 pounds. Not very difficult as a pup but I work from home. If you aren't able to be home during the first months and don't have a big yard they will chew everything, door frames, couch, chairs so be careful.

Largely depends on the work schedule you and your significant other have. Ideally one of you works days, the other nights to balance the responsibilities and properly compliment the duties required to raise a pup.

Do your research on the breed. Everyone likes Huskies aesthetically, but most don't realize how much effort it takes to care for the stubborn breed.

Back
Top Bottom