Dressing Better Vol 2.0

:wow: Contemplation is HEAVY right now..

http://www.longislandwatch.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ER27007W

this would be my choice for an orient along that design. it's automatic vs. the quartz you picked. longislandwatch is an authorized dealer as well.

i'm wearing my orient right now which is this. a great watch that i picked up on closeout for $50 a year ago.

thought i lost it 2 mos. ago after a party night, so i bought a seiko 5 to replace it but ended up finding it so now i have 2 blue face metal bands.

:wow: Contemplation is HEAVY right now..

http://www.longislandwatch.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ER27007W

this would be my choice for an orient along that design. it's automatic vs. the quartz you picked. longislandwatch is an authorized dealer as well.

i'm wearing my orient right now which is this. a great watch that i picked up on closeout for $50 a year ago.

thought i lost it 2 mos. ago after a party night, so i bought a seiko 5 to replace it but ended up finding it so now i have 2 blue face metal bands.
What's difference between auto vs. quartz? Sorry, newb to watches

Quartz is battery operated.

Automatic is a self-winding via the motion of the wearers arm.

It's more complicated than that but that is the jist of it.

Quartz is battery operated.

Automatic is a self-winding via the motion of the wearers arm.

It's more complicated than that but that is the jist of it.

Also automatic watches typically cost way more (rolexes are automatic watches)

quartz is battery powered.

automatic is self-winding so it runs on your arm motion. no battery needed, however if you do not wear an auto watch for awhile, it will stop. you should have no problems if you wear it every day though. if you own a few auto watches, you can get a watch winder (which keeps the watch in motion while you're not wearing)

orient has an in-house movement in their automatic watches that keep time very well, it doesn't run too fast or too slow. that's why people say orient's are great watches, their auto watches are excellent value.

quartz is battery powered.

automatic is self-winding so it runs on your arm motion. no battery needed, however if you do not wear an auto watch for awhile, it will stop. you should have no problems if you wear it every day though. if you own a few auto watches, you can get a watch winder (which keeps the watch in motion while you're not wearing)

orient has an in-house movement in their automatic watches that keep time very well, it doesn't run too fast or too slow. that's why people say orient's are great watches, their auto watches are excellent value.
I'd wear the watch damn near everyday. I feel like where we are getting it is that the one you posted probably will still be the better value though, right?

Also automatic watches typically cost way more (rolexes are automatic watches)

not true, orient and seiko have excellent movements and you can find them typically around $100 - $150.

I think he meant in comparison to quartz watches, which is about right.

For example, an Automatic Aqua Terra retails for $5500 while the quartz version retails for $2750.

I have an Orient Blue Mako (it's heavily recommended on WUS) You can't beat the price for an automatic that has the movement made in-house (as opposed to a movement that is bought from another company - like some place in China) and put into the watch. I got mine on Amazon for about $100. 

Last edited:

For example, an Automatic Aqua Terra retails for $5500 while the quartz version retails for $2750.

obviously true, but if he only throws out one luxury brand name "rolex" as an example of auto watches, i assumed he is generalizing that auto watches cost more which may always be the case in comparing the same model, but my point was that you can find auto watches that are less.

not true, orient and seiko have excellent movements and you can find them typically around $100 - $150.

Yes, my bad for the confusion. I was speaking in comparison to quartz watches

obviously true, but if he only throws out one luxury brand name "rolex" as an example of auto watches, i assumed he is generalizing that auto watches cost more which may always be the case in comparing the same model, but my point was that you can find auto watches that are less.

Yea there are certainly exceptions... that's why I said typically...

It depends.

Not all quartz are created equal. Breitling for example, their SuperQuartz has the most accurate quartz movement there is when it comes to watches.

I doubt you'll need that much accuracy though and Breitling can climb up in price rather quickly.

In your position, I'd really look for a design/style you like if I were to be honest. If you find Orients style/design nice and it happens to have that automatic movement, then good, two birds with one stone. However if you do not find them attractive or feel that it looks like a rip-off of other watchmakers design, then I'd pass. I mean what is the point of the watch if it has the best movement in the world but every time you look at your wrist it just make you cringe? You simply have to like how it looks in your wrist.

Last edited:
It depends.

Not all quartz are created equal. Breitling for example, their SuperQuartz has the most accurate quartz movement there is when it comes to watches.

I doubt you'll need that much accuracy though and Breitling can climb up in price rather quickly.

In your position, I'd really look for a design/style you like if I were to be honest. If you find Orients style/design nice and it happens to have that automatic movement, then good, two birds with one stone. However if you do not find them attractive or feel that it looks like a rip-off of other watchmakers design, then I'd pass. I mean what is the point of the watch if it has the best movement in the world but every time you look at your wrist it just make you cringe? You simply have to like how it looks in your wrist.
Translation: new watch alert: Hublot.

orient is probably the best bang for your buck. ive been contemplating getting one because i never wear my IWC to the hospital and often get tired of just wearing a g-shock to work.

started saving for a super b flyback, but i have bigger things planned in the future lol
Same here, man. I planned on buying a Rolex GMT II last year but wouldn't wear it much so I haven't copped yet.

Sounds like you about to get hitched. RIP to another member. :frown:

Back
Top Bottom