Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Fall/Winter is around the corner. What's on everyone's cop-list?
Probably a light gray suit that's more matte as oppose to my sharkskin and a pair of Vass. Also some compression gear for the gym :lol:

Aside from that, I'm content.

100-200, any type
I'd go with either of these two. Preferably look for a bigger coupon than the 15% off for students. If you plan on carrying a lot, don't go with the messenger.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/N...~16~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~bag/51650.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/N...~16~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~bag/51657.jsp

How do you guys wear your dress pants when its snowing out? With snow boots?
I've been tempted to wear my suits with bulky Red Wings for kicks and giggles. Alas, I haven't done so and I live in a place where it doesn't snow so I can only show pics via Google.

I'm sure all of these shoes have rubber sole. Leather sole is already slippery enough on flat surfaces, it would be fatal in the rain/sleet/snow.

http://www.trashness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/three-piece-hat-coat-lookbook-suit-snow.jpg

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/VIN1014.jpg

http://www.trashness.com/wp-content...ng-the-photosession-men-calling-suit-snow.jpg

Looking to find a store that sells pocket squares.. possibly a pack of assorted plain colors or simple patterns (stripes, dots, etc..) Any recs? Not looking to spend a lot of money

Any other designs, patterns, or colors that can basically be worn with any color combination? (other than white)

Last edited:

3-piece light to medium brown tweed suit and hopefully a pair of captoe boots with rubber soles. I have a wingtip pair and a captoe pair and some double monks suede with rubber soles coming in, winter shoes for sure.

How do you guys wear your dress pants when its snowing out? With snow boots?

I either go with leather boots with rubber sole if the weather is cold but not super bad (ie snow isn't super ridiculous). Otherwise I wear my snow boots that I got for like $45 from Mr. Porter; Cole Haan's. At that point keeping my feet dry and warm is priority, not "style" but once I get to work I do change into proper shoes. I do keep an extra pair of brown and black wingtips at work.

I have a two questions:

are there any "go to" thrifts you LA heads go to for your dressing better needs? I saw those pick ups a page back, and I don't see that around my way.

And I've lost a great amount of weight, I mean, from 280, now down to 230, and then my goal weight is 185.

So my question is; for some of my nicer shirts; wouldn't it be cheaper to just tailor them to a smaller size?

or am i gonna have to completely say bye to my fatboy clothes?

I'm excited to buy newer skinny clothes, but I don't wanna say bye to all my old clothes.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a two questions:

are there any "go to" thrifts you LA heads go to for your dressing better needs? I saw those pick ups a page back, and I don't see that around my way.

And I've lost a great amount of weight, I mean, from 280, now down to 230, and then my goal weight is 185.
So my question is; for some of my nicer shirts; wouldn't it be cheaper to just tailor them to a smaller size?
or am i gonna have to completely say bye to my fatboy clothes?
I'm excited to buy newer skinny clothes, but I don't wanna say bye to all my old clothes.

Any help is appreciated.
Thrifting in LA is difficult. The Goodwills and such around the West Side where affluents reside already charge more money on their pieces.

You can only tailor a shirt so much. You can't fix the shoulders and the neck size. If you're losing that much weight, it's best to hit your target condition and start fresh.

A car, my truck was stolen last week. Thought it would have turned up by now.

Damb, I'm sorry to hear that brough.

Looking to find a store that sells pocket squares.. possibly a pack of assorted plain colors or simple patterns (stripes, dots, etc..) Any recs? Not looking to spend a lot of money

Any other designs, patterns, or colors that can basically be worn with any color combination? (other than white)

I would check out a Nordstrom Rack if you have one nearby. Also, various stores at outlets seem to have packs of pocket squares. As you mentioned, I think pindot/polka dot pocket squares can go with mostly anything.

boots boots and more boots. I bought a few coats already so I'm good on that unless I see a camel colored wool jacket somewhere. I also need a new suit for a couple weddings and still in need of a pair of brown leather shoes

Does any one have any opinions on suits by Tommy Hilfiger i'm thinking about picking up a grey shark skin while they are on sale this week

Does any one have any opinions on suits by Tommy Hilfiger i'm thinking about picking up a grey shark skin while they are on sale this week
shoulders shoulders shoulders also my jacket is threading some. some of blue the fibers from the lining are visible on the jacket. even though i bought it years ago, i wear it sparingly, and the wear and tear is not justifiable as if someone who would wear it daily or even weekly, imo.

def a step up from HM, Zara and such and if you can get one for like $200-220 or so not a bad buy but i feel like there are better brands but thats just my experience

Last edited:
Kind of bumping from a few pages back.
Anyone know where I can find this jacket? Or one similar to it in brown? Thanks.
http://www.denimarchive.com/2010/03/04/samurai-710-slim-tapered/#comments
Check Gap around fall time. I've seen many similar styles to that m-65 look but can't find one now. This is somewhat similar from jcrew and I think you can drop a 40% discount on it. Hope that helps
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/t...iority|0~20+16+4294967181~15~~~~~~~/67551.jsp

No discount on this but still nice:
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/cotton/PRDOVR~96051/96051.jsp

Not sure if this belongs here, but anyone know of a good alternative to these? All I can get my hands are are freebies from the company

You have to show security your ID or do you just swipe to get in through the elevators?

All the places I've worked--I had to just swipe my ID to get into the elevators. I just keep the ID in my wallet, so when I get to work--I just take my wallet out and tap the sensor till the turnstile opens up for me. It's pretty simple.

I used to carry my ID around all the time in the retractable ID holder, but then I got tired of people looking at my ID to see where I work. Plus, It looked horrible with my outfits for work :lol:

Last edited:
On a side note: Maybe some of you guys can help me on this issue that I've been having.

I love the Summer season because of the great weather and the women showing off their assets, but one thing I cannot stand about the Summer time is how much I sweat when I have on my suit. I'm almost forced to always wear shirt dress shirts to work, just so the sweat stains I have through the day aren't visible.

I decided to wear a light blue shirt this morning with a great subtle herringbone pattern, and alas, I was sweating on my walk to work! Now, It's almost a quarter past 11 and the sweat stains started to reappear. What's worse is that the stains are VERY visible up close and I have a meeting with some important people today and I have to look my best (I wore my bespoke suit, Rotonde de Cartier watch, Farragamo shoes, Turnbull & Asser bespoke shirt and YSL tie).

I went to the bathroom and dabbed some water on the stains hoping it'll go away. You guys have any tips that I can use to make the stains go away and maybe tips to stop the stains from appearing in the first place?

On a side note: Maybe some of you guys can help me on this issue that I've been having.

I love the Summer season because of the great weather and the women showing off their assets, but one thing I cannot stand about the Summer time is how much I sweat when I have on my suit. I'm almost forced to always wear shirt dress shirts to work, just so the sweat stains I have through the day aren't visible.

I decided to wear a light blue shirt this morning with a great subtle herringbone pattern, and alas, I was sweating on my walk to work! Now, It's almost a quarter past 11 and the sweat stains started to reappear. What's worse is that the stains are VERY visible up close and I have a meeting with some important people today and I have to look my best (I wore my bespoke suit, Rotonde de Cartier watch, Farragamo shoes, Turnbull & Asser bespoke shirt and YSL tie).

I went to the bathroom and dabbed some water on the stains hoping it'll go away. You guys have any tips that I can use to make the stains go away and maybe tips to stop the stains from appearing in the first place?
ive heard that the best way to remove the stains is to soak your shirts in oxyclean before you wash unless you dry clean.

as far as preventing sweating, well thats hard. certain clinical deodorants are decent and theres always certain dry for excessive sweating but if its hot, really hard to fight it.

could also look up cotton sweat absorbers stuff like sweat shields. you place them in the arm pit area and they supposedly absorb perspiration. dont know anyone thats used them but might be worth a shot

heres an example http://www.kleinerts.com/index.html

Last edited:
ive heard that the best way to remove the stains is to soak your shirts in oxyclean before you wash unless you dry clean.

as far as preventing sweating, well thats hard. certain clinical deodorants are decent and theres always certain dry for excessive sweating but if its hot, really hard to fight it.

if you really want to try it, look up cotton sweat absorbers. you place them in the arm pit area and they supposedly absorb perspiration. dont know anyone thats used them but might be worth a shot

http://www.kleinerts.com/index.html

I don't sweat so much in the armpit area. Most of the sweat stains are happening on my chest area. I'm thinking about just taking my jacket off when I walk to work, but what's the point of that?

I don't sweat so much in the armpit area. Most of the sweat stains are happening on my chest area. I'm thinking about just taking my jacket off when I walk to work, but what's the point of that?
im more of an underarm kind of sweater so no idea how to deal.
ohwell.gif

maybe put your dress shirt on when you get to the office? DC summers are brutal and i know plenty of people that do that but they work at less strict places than your office atmosphere. also you said you like to wear jackets to the office but sometimes function over style.

i just always wear v necks under dress shirts so hopefully they absorb everything. sometimes gets hot but better than looking like i ran a marathon after walking a few blocks. i hate summer.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom